Driving from resort to parks

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
When we go down to WDW in July, we are driving so we will have our car. Is there any advantage to driving to the parks instead of the bus? We are staying CBR. If you do drive, do you have to pay for parking at the park if you are staying on site? Just curious.

When we go to Florida, we always drive. If you are staying on site then you can park at the parks for free. They just wave you through when they see your parking permit. For us it is much quicker to drive to the parks, except for Magic Kingdom. The resorts have direct buses to Magic Kingdom whereas you have to drive to the Ticket and Transportation Center and then take either the monorail or the ferryboat over. However, riding the ferry boat and the monorail are must do's for our vacation. We have young children and find it easier to take the van to the parks. You can leave extra sets of clothes, raincoats, etc in the car and not have to drag them around with you. One year we were staying at Fort Wilderness and had taken the transportation system to MGM. My son got food poisoning and it was a long three buses back to the cabin. I know in the summer there is a lot more traffic then when we go so perhaps driving wouldn't be quicker. Someone who's been there in July will have a better idea.

Have fun!!

We were wondering the same thing. Are you saying that you can NOT drive to and park at MK?

Does most everyone else agree that you save time by driving to the parks instead of using the buses if staying on property? We are going 2nd week of Dec. and staying at ASMo. Thanks for any info.

You can't drive directly to MK. You park near the Ticket and Transportation Center, take a tram (unless you get there early and park close and can walk) to TTC, then you must take either the monorail or the ferry to MK. The resort buses drop off right near the entrance to MK, skipping the monorail/ferry ride.

We always have a vehicle, and sometimes we drive and sometimes we take the bus. Car is not that convenient if you don't get to park fairly close and walk in. Epcot's parking lot is HUGE and you can be a long way from your car.

We always rent a car on our trips and love to drive to the parks. There is no better feeling in the world than slipping into your air-conditioned car all by yourself after spending a hot day in the parks with thousands of other people!

It is a bit of a pain at the Magic Kingdom though. We stayed at YC in November and found the commute to MK and back (especially back!) to be a real pain. Especially since, like one previous poster, I got ill in MK. Not food poisoning (don't want to alarm anyone), but I was sick. I had to take the monorail and a tram and then walk to the car and then drive back to YC. It was that day that I decided that I was sticking to the monorail resorts for health reasons! :)

The worst part is trying to leave the park at the end of the day. The line for the monorail to the TTC is practically back into the park! It moves relatively quickly though. Everywhere else was great to drive! Sometimes we'd get there early and park up front and then take the bus back to YC to rest and then back again and then, at the end of the day, our car was up front. Just play it by ear and do whatever works for you!

We just got back and had a car. From now on we will always have a car... We used the bus a couple of times and we said should of used the car.. the time we waited for the bus we would of already been to the park. We found that the trams that picked you up in the parking lot were very effiecient.... very fast and always there. The only place I would not drive is MK. use the bus for this....... the car is the way to go.... just write down where you are at in the parking lot. no you do not have to pay...... they flag you right in... you can go any where at disney when staying on site... we also enjoyed going and checking out the other resorts you can also go there and park and check them out or if you are eating at one of them....have fun....corvair

I used to be a believer in WDW transportation and we never rented a car. But for the last two trips, one staying at Movies the other at CBR, we have rented a car from National. As the above poster stated there is nothing like slipping into a quiet, air conditioned car after a long day at the parks with thousands of people. We even drove to the MK (well, actually the TTC). We used this plan and it worked well: We made a 7:30 PS at the Polynesian for breakfast. Arrived at the TTC around 7-7:15am and were the first in the parking lot. Made the relatively short walk to the Poly and had breakfast. Boarded the resort monorail and arrived at the MK by 8:30-8:45am before opening. We even had time to by our AP's at guest services before the gates opened at 9am. I think we stayed in the park till 1pm or so and rode the Express Monorail back to the TTC and made a very short walk to our car.

For convenience, nothing beats driving yourself.

However, we've never driven to the MK opting to take the bus instead because it drops you at the front gates and saves the monorail/boat trip from the TTC.

Coming back, you have to time it. After a Parade or fireworks is absolute bedlam on the bus. But since the Main St Shops are always open an extra hour after closing, you can past time letting the early rush go and catch the later bus to the resort.

I have heard of instances where people have taken their cars to nearby resorts like GF, Polynesian or Contemporary and caught the monorail/resort boats to the MK but I wouldnt recommend it.

Parking is free for resort guests so driving doesnt incur any other expense (except gas). And if you do decide to drive, please be nice to the parking attendant who are out there rain or shine with no cover to direct traffic and get you on the trams.

Enjoy!

We always drive down and we never go near the car until we leave. I can't imagine driving. What a hassle. The lines into the parking lots are usually long. Then unless you are close to the front you have to wait for a tram. Then leaving is worse if you wait until closing. I love to see all the people stanind in tran lines then waiting in line with thousands of other cars as our bus speeds right past them.

We wree headed to DTD from the Poly one night. No one on the bus could figure out why the driver was going "the long wa" everyoen started complaining. I spoke upa and said I certainly didn't want to sit in the traffice that was leaving MK at closing either. Once everyone realized the driver was saving us from sitting in bumper to bumper traffic they were glad to be going the long way around.

Definitely drive to AK!!!
The AK bus also goes to Blizzard Beach and it takes forever to get to AK!!
No parking fees if staying on site:D

So far everyone has said that they like to drive. That surprises me because there are lots of WDW transportation lovers out there. Count me in the ranks. We drive to WDW, but once we park at the resort, that's it. We use their transportation the rest of the time.

I like being able to sit and wait for a bus in a shady waiting area with fans instead of waiting for a tram and walking across a busy parking lot. We don't go in the summer, but the buses are always a nice temperature when we get in them. I'm sure they're air conditioned. When you get in your car, it's going to have been sitting out in the sun, and it will be HOT. The buses are nice and comfortable. You also don't have to worry about how to get there. There are lots of signs so that it's not too hard to find your way around if you drive, but riding is so much easier. DH and I use the time in the bus to plan our attack for the park. It may take a bit longer on the Disney buses if yours isn't there when you get to the bus stop, but IMHO, it's definitely worth it.

My advice would be to try Disney transportation when you first get there. If you don't like it, use your car after that. But give it a chance. If you try it on your last day and love it, you'll want to kick yourself for using your car the whole time.

We went to WDW for a week in May and stayed at the GF. The transportation was HORRIBLE!!! On our 2nd to last day, we figured out that we could park the rental car anywhere in the parks for free since we were WDW resort guests. What a difference that made! I don't know if Disney transportation has gone downhill since we were there in 1997, but it sure seemed like it had. If we do Disney again in the future, we will drive everywhere. Also, we will stay at the YC or Boardwalk, as we found the location of those resorts to be much more convenient for driving/walking to the parks.

We too, only use the bus for MK. Occasionally we drive just so we can take the ferry or monorail.

When we stayed at CR, my husband drove back from Epcot and we took the monorail. He was at the room WAY before we were!

Considering the bus? If you have your own stroller you will be bringing, I say drive. Strollers are a true pain while in the bus.

There are some things to consider about parking at a monorail park for the MK. If you self parl and stay more than 3 hrs. you might get towed and have to pay a small fortune to get your car back. You can valet for as long as you want however. It costs $6/day.

We just got back and we loved the car.. we never waited at all for the trams... they ran back and forth all the time. they would come and go consistently.... We would get on the tram get in our car and out the park before the bus would come... To each his own but if you want to get around fast, use a car... you could not get lost.. there were so many signs directing you , it was great..corvair

Same here corvair! We never waited long (2 minutes or less) for a tram in December 2001 or just this past May. In fact after Fantasmic, which ended at 9:30pm, we were back at our resort (Caribbean Beach) by 9:43. I clocked it. We got right on a tram and there were no traffic back-ups at the park exit either.

I almost always drive too, we get a rental car from National. The only exception is if we go to MK at night for Spectro/Fireworks or MVMCP. It's easier to just hop on the bus then when coming out with the crowds then. When we stayed at OKW last month, I timed our trip to MK in the car. From our OKW room to the MK front gates was 25 minutes, using the tram and monorail. If we would have waited for the bus, the bus went all around OKW picking up and then went to MK, I bet it would have been at least 25 minutes. We got out of MGM after Fantasmic quick too. We just can't stand the crowded busses with everyone packed in. The trams are always quick to/from the parking lots. We do use the boats to Epcot & MGM when we stay at BWV (or walk to Epcot) but use the rental to MK, AK & DD.

I don't mind having a stroller on the buses as long as it folds well. Our last trip I had a combi SUBV and it folds so flat that it fit between my knees and the seat in front of me. It also has a shoulder strap so it is very easy to hold onto your stuff, a kids hand and the stroller while getting off. To each their own but I can't imagine drivng around WDW when someone else will do it for me for free. I guess it really depends too on when you are going (season and hrs too) if you aren't going at opening or leaving at closing then I could see driving would be quicker. If you are goign at opening and staying utill closing I think taking the buses would be quicker. It also depends on what resort you are staying at. When we were at ASMu I remember going to MGM the first day. We had to pass the main entrance and saw all the cars waiting to enter to get to TTC. DH looked at me and said "I think you were right when you wanted to stay onsite, I don't think we will move the car until we leave". The only time we did that first trip was the day we went to DD then MGM. We should have left the car at ASMu. It was a nightmare gettign out of MGM at closing. The other time we drove to AK and, TL then DD. It wasn't bad driving that day. On our last trip we didn't drive at all. When we swiched resorts DH and Dsis dropped the cars off at ASMu and then took a bus to Epcot to meet the rest of us.

We usually have a mix of driving and riding the buses.
Like I mentioned before.....we almost always drive to AK because the bus also goes to BB and we always try to get there before opening. And we always end up with a parking spot VERY CLOSE! almost as close as walking to the bus stop.

We always take the bus to MK....don't like to mess with that whole process.....park, tram, TTC, monorail or boat, etc....too long.

Then depending on which resort we stay at....and other factors such as time of year, time of day and if we plan to spend the entire day there, etc. Then we just decide how to get to Epcot or MGM.

It really is nice to have the different options!:D

I'm a WDW transportation fan! We drive to Florida from St. Louis--all that time in our van represents the transition from the real world to Disney. We generally don't touch the car for days at a time0--it's almost like it breaks the magic spell!

As with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to both views. We are headed back to WDW in August, last visit '98. I will try to keep an open mind...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter