Dumpster view at VWL

We stayed for the first time at VWL in January and had this room. Hated it! I love sitting outside and there was nothing to really see but a road where the buses go and the dumpster area. We saw 2 women wrestle a mattress. Not exactly the scenary I look for at Diseny. We moved to the BWV the next day.

(There were also many other issues that happened in one lousy night including gettin a handicapped room after specifically asking if it was one, wanted a tub, then had to trek back only to get down the long hallway again and the key did not work. All about 12:30 in the morning. Waited 25 minutes for them to bring a new key - gotta love the cell phone), the toilet did not flush and the air would not turn off. The dumpster was just the crowning touch in the morning when we were trying to shake off the feeling that we had made a mistake booking VWL.)

Would I stay here again? Probably not. If I did, I want a quiet pool view!!

There is only one studio lockoff that I would pitch a fit over and that's 4533 - it's the studio on the 4th floor with no balcony. If you press your nose to the window and turn your eyes as far as you can to the left, you can kind of see the quiet pool. I definitely expect a patio or balcony when I'm using points for a DVC stay.

We just got back from our stay at VWL and had the next to end room 4560. I was on the deck each morning with coffee and bagel enjoying the sunshine. The view had no impact. The drawback and complaint that I did register was that the dumpster was unloaded around 4am each day. The first day I heard it they allowed the cover to come back down with a thundering clang which shot me straight out of bed. Other then the noise it was fine for a studio (I prefer a one bedroom or larger, I know just spoiled ;) ).

here is the picture - if you were thinking nice quiet woods view - this won't cut it.

I heard trucks in the midnight of the night.

WL who is at the front desk (in my opinion) is kind of bad about sending members to this area.

Always ask if this is the service building view and if they say it is - just ask for another room.

I have had several none were as bad (in my opinion) as the service building.

Always ask for a room on the lake side near the elevators - you probably won't get in - but the lake side has no bad views.

I couldn't find the picture

Does anyone know what type of room this is, I heard studio and 1 bedroom mentioned. We are taking our parents for the first time and have a dedicated 2 bedroom so wondering if this will be an issue?

dsneygirl said:
Does anyone know what type of room this is, I heard studio and 1 bedroom mentioned. We are taking our parents for the first time and have a dedicated 2 bedroom so wondering if this will be an issue?

the only one I think could be a problem is 56

here is a layout
http://members.aol.com/InstImpres/wildernessmap.pdf

the first number is the floor. 5 is the second number (don't know why). the last 2 are the room number.

Spicey...I took the liberty of posting your photo into the thread for easy viewing.

28707VWL_dumpster_view.jpg

While we love VWL, and are happy with whatever room we get as long as it is a non-smoking room that hasn't been smoked in :rolleyes: ....well, I think Disney could have designed this area a little better.

This picture is from the 4th floor. I would think that the first and second floors would have a view of the wall which would be definitely unmagical. And I have to think that the area generates some noise which could be bothersome.

I just think they could have disguised it a little better and made it less intrusive.

Having said that, it wouldn't ruin our vacation to get this view. But I honestly can't fault those who are disappointed when they get the view.

thank you Granny - it has never let me post anything as a picture - no matter how hard I try - so the best I can do is a link!!!

thanks!

it is not really a dumpster view - but it does get several visits a day by a loud truck that can be heard through the closed door.

So I would hate an infant to be in these rooms.

although this unit for the studio has a large extra closet!!!!

Granny said:
Spicey...I took the liberty of posting your photo into the thread for easy viewing.

28707VWL_dumpster_view.jpg

QUOTE]
While I'm usually not one to complain, especially about things that are beyond MS control, I for one would be very disapointed with this view. Sure the trash has to go somewhere but you usually don't see it from your balcony in what is supposed to be a delux resort. Then to have it emptied in the early morning is unacceptable, I would have to be moved. This is not something that "can't be helped" this is very poor planning on the part of DVC. At best this should be a discounted room for those that don't use the balcony or don't mind the view. You can make reservations 11 months ahead and end up with this view. We've never stayed at VWL and probably won't, nothing to do with the veiw just not where I want to stay. Just MHO..

From reading this thread, I guess the secret to not getting the dumpster view is to ask for a view on the lake side close to the elevators. Also, I always ask to make sure that it is not an HA room. We haven't had the dumpster view, but from the pictures posted, Is sure would not like to have those rooms.

ooh... good picture...

Once we stayed in the tower room at the Contemporay MK view, I really felt was more like a parking lot view than a view Of the MK, yet everyone 'thinks' getting MK view is the way to go at the hotel, I would never ever hope to get it again... although the fireworks were nice... still to me I think of the MK view as the parking lot view...

Personally, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be happier with the dumpster view than the room with no balcony at all.

I cannot believe they made a room without a balcony on it in a DVC resort. That is mindboggling to me.

CarnotaurDad said:
Personally, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be happier with the dumpster view than the room with no balcony at all.

I cannot believe they made a room without a balcony on it in a DVC resort. That is mindboggling to me.

Does anyone know WHY there is a room with no balcony? I am just curious, what type of architectural oddity was impossible to work around? :confused3

Shan

We've had the dumpster view. :thumbsup2 :banana:
While this view isn't my first choice, I think too much fuss is made over it.
If you are on the lower levels it's obscured with landscaping. If you're on the higher floors you must look down to see it.
I could be wrong as I haven't examined it from every angle, but while sitting on your balcony it probably won't be in your view.

Look at the positives... If they leave the lid open you can just hurl your garbage bag over the railing instaed of hauling it to the receptacle... :teeth:

All that aside, it baffles the mind why Disney doesn't do something to completely hide it. :santa:

We :love: dumpsters!

MG

spiceycat said:
it is not really a dumpster view
How would you describe that big green thing? Personally... I would conclude that it is a dumpster view ;)

/Jim

Maistre Gracey said:
While this view isn't my first choice, I think too much fuss is made over it.
Probably a true statement about virtually every resort with "less desirable" views.

Next time you stay in that room, take some pictures of the morning "trash hurling" competition, would you? :teeth:

Seriously, thanks for the input about the lower levels. Those are the ones that I figured would have no option as to what they'd see looking out off their balcony. The upper floors, one can just kick back and look straight out and not even have to put that area in the field of vision.

Aaahhhh....I feel much better now. We haven't had a DD thread for a while now. popcorn::

fishermouse said:
This is not something that "can't be helped" this is very poor planning on the part of DVC.
Not to belabor this, especially because I'm not an expert on the topic, but I do believe that Disney was very restricted in the space that they could build VWL in. As it is, it is a very small DVC resort even though there appears to be a lot of land around that could have made it larger.

But I think they had some very severe restrictions on how much land they could develop there, and my guess (just pure speculation) is that they didn't have a lot of choice as to where to locate the maintenance/cleaning depot. I could be wrong there, but it is hard to imagine that they had a blank piece of paper and decided that would be a great location for this area and not in a more obscure location. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter