DVC COVID19 - cancelling within 30 day window ?

Po&Nana

Earning My Ears
Hello All. I am wondering whether those of you who have already cancelled reservations made with borrowed points have had those points returned to the original use year. I had a reservation at BWV for mid-June using borrowed points but I am older and not in perfect health so I was concerned about the risks. I called DVC on Thursday, May 7, to ask what would happen to my points if I cancelled even if Disney had not officially announced extended closure of DVC properties. I was told that if I cancelled (which I did) for any reason my points would be returned to my 2020 use year but they would not be transferred until the following Thursday, which was yesterday, and still no points returned. So for those of you who cancelled using borrowed points, were those points returned to your original use year and how long did it take? Thanks and good luck to all!

They have said it could take 15 days. Some had them moved sooner and others not.
I needed mine to rebook quickly and I did get them moved in about 4 days.

Hello All. I am wondering whether those of you who have already cancelled reservations made with borrowed points have had those points returned to the original use year. I had a reservation at BWV for mid-June using borrowed points but I am older and not in perfect health so I was concerned about the risks. I called DVC on Thursday, May 7, to ask what would happen to my points if I cancelled even if Disney had not officially announced extended closure of DVC properties. I was told that if I cancelled (which I did) for any reason my points would be returned to my 2020 use year but they would not be transferred until the following Thursday, which was yesterday, and still no points returned. So for those of you who cancelled using borrowed points, were those points returned to your original use year and how long did it take? Thanks and good luck to all!

just FYI...they told me this same thing about 15 days. I got anxious and called back after about 10 days. This time the person on the phone immediately took care of my points and I was able to refresh my screen and see them. They then used those points which were going to expire soon and allowed me to apply it to my August trip. So...try calling back to tell them you need those points in your account to be able to book a vacation.

I used the chat feature to cancel our easter reservation, and they cancelled and moved everything that day for me. Of course this was back in early April, and policies have changed since then, but if they could do it then...there is really no reason they wouldn't be able to do it now.

I called twice this past week regarding a stay we have coming up in two weeks. Both times, I was told that they basically weren't doing cancellations over the phone, and that it would be best to let Disney handle the cancellations. The last lady I talked to said that "Tinkerbelle was sprinkling lots of pixie dust for the folks who were waiting"....whatever that means.

She said that once they cancelled my reservation (a week before the scheduled stay, per her), the points would be placed back into my account between the 1st and 5th of June, as they're doing them all in "batches".

We had a June 9-17 trip to Aulani scheduled that we were holding on to hoping the travel restrictions in Hawaii would be lifted by the time of our trip. But yesterday I read that the governor was most likely going to extend the travel restrictions through the end of June.

I chatted with members services to make sure there would be no difference in where my points went if I cancelled now vs waited for DVC to do it. I was advised there would be no difference, that all points would return to my current use year or be returned to the original use year if borrowed. She did advise that the policy waving the holding penalty for “within 30 day” cancellation could be withdrawn at anytime, so I went ahead a cancelled my reservation online.

We decided we would do an adult trip over Labor Day weekend at Disney! I decided to call to make the reservation since I wanted to make sure it took my banked and current points and not the borrowed points that would be returned at a later time. The lady went ahead and got the borrowed points moved back to the original use year before booking my trip. Hoping this trip will be able to happen.

We had a June 9-17 trip to Aulani scheduled that we were holding on to hoping the travel restrictions in Hawaii would be lifted by the time of our trip. But yesterday I read that the governor was most likely going to extend the travel restrictions through the end of June.

I chatted with members services to make sure there would be no difference in where my points went if I cancelled now vs waited for DVC to do it. I was advised there would be no difference, that all points would return to my current use year or be returned to the original use year if borrowed. She did advise that the policy waving the holding penalty for “within 30 day” cancellation could be withdrawn at anytime, so I went ahead a cancelled my reservation online.

We decided we would do an adult trip over Labor Day weekend at Disney! I decided to call to make the reservation since I wanted to make sure it took my banked and current points and not the borrowed points that would be returned at a later time. The lady went ahead and got the borrowed points moved back to the original use year before booking my trip. Hoping this trip will be able to happen.

Thats essentially the experience I had as well when I did something similar back in April. I cancelled myself using the chat feature, reallocated points to a trip I was borrowing points for in October, and was able to bank those points and the rest of my points forward at that time. Everything is where it should be (needs to be already). Everything took about 20 minutes to get accomplished.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter