DVC Point Charts for 2011 - Post chart release discussion begins on Pg 14

Does anyone realize that the points needed to stay in the same season from year to year are going up. When we purchased ten years ago we were told points for same seasons would not go up from year to year. That has proved to be a lie. As things are going people will have to purchase more pts to go at the same time from year to year. And anyone with a brain can see this is DVCs plan. If you call them and question this they will try to have yo believe they are doing this for the members. Again lies. Wake up fellow DVC members file your protest now. If you are able to go for a week now and use all or most of your points in the future you wont be able to go for the same amount of time . Unless you PURCHASE MORE PTS . Lets stand up and fight the lies. Tyfor listening. We are true Disney fans and have been to Disney World 29 straight years.

You just have to read the DVC literature to find that DVC can adjust the points from year to year. The total number of points for that resort must stay the same, but they can change them around annually if they like. So no lies told. We bought thirteen years ago and we knew they could do that when we bought.

If points go up somewhere, they also have to go down somewhere else for that same resort somewhere during the year or for a category of villa.

In most resorts the weekly points did not change very much. The biggest change is a shift in points from the weekends to the weekdays. So if you traveled Sunday - Thursday, yes your points went up.

Also, the rules state they can shift points around up to 20% in a give year but like it was stated in an earlier post the Total Point value for the resort cannot change.

No, that's not the way it works.

The total points for the resort may not go up over time. They may reallocate the points needed for certain seasons, or for certain villa types, or for certain days of the week. But there must always be a corresponding decrease in points for some season, or villa type, or day of the week, because the total number of points must remain the same.

That's what they've done the last couple of years - they've decreased the number of points required to stay on Friday/Saturday nights, and increased the number of points required to stay on Monday-Thursday night, so the points requirements are in better balance.

The changes were a good thing for some people, like me. It's now more cost-effective than it used to be for me to stay on Friday or Saturday, since the points required went down. That means I save a few vacation days a year, which makes me very happy.

I'm sorry the changes didn't work to your benefit. But the points aren't going to keep going up every year until you need to buy more points. It's possible that the salesperson presented this in a misleading way, it's possible that you misunderstood them. It's all described in your contract, though, and you'll find the details there.

DOes anyone has the original point chart from 15 years ago? It would be interesting to see.

I'm with you - - not because I think that DVC is misleading us (because I don't believe that at all -- points for a resort cannot change but can be reallocated at DVC's discretion) but because I think it would be fun to see how the seasons have changed in 15 years. Anyone got an old chart they want to share? :goodvibes

I'm with you - - not because I think that DVC is misleading us (because I don't believe that at all -- points for a resort cannot change but can be reallocated at DVC's discretion) but because I think it would be fun to see how the seasons have changed in 15 years. Anyone got an old chart they want to share? :goodvibes

Here is a Post in another thread that shows some of BWV's early point charts: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35231919&postcount=934

Just click on an image to enlarge the view.

Here are the point charts used from 1991 thru 1995 (OKW was the only resort until VB opened in 1995). There was a reallocation beginning in 1996 and then no changes were made until 2010 and again in 2011. In all cases, some nights increased a few points and others decreased - just as outlined in the documents.

(Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.)

Points listed are for Studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV (weekday/weekend) respectively:

Adventure Season: 7/17 , 14/35 , 19/47 , 31/77

Choice Season: 8/21 , 17/42 , 23/57 , 37/92

Dream Season: 10/25 , 20/50 , 27/67 , 45/112

Magic Season: 11/28 , 23/57 , 31/77 , 52/130

Premier Season: 15/38 , 31/77 , 42/105 , 68/170

Here are the point charts used from 1991 thru 1995 (OKW was the only resort until VB opened in 1995). There was a reallocation beginning in 1996 and then no changes were made until 2010 and again in 2011. In all cases, some nights increased a few points and others decreased - just as outlined in the documents.

(Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.)

Points listed are for Studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV (weekday/weekend) respectively:

Adventure Season: 7/17 , 14/35 , 19/47 , 31/77

Choice Season: 8/21 , 17/42 , 23/57 , 37/92

Dream Season: 10/25 , 20/50 , 27/67 , 45/112

Magic Season: 11/28 , 23/57 , 31/77 , 52/130

Premier Season: 15/38 , 31/77 , 42/105 , 68/170

Ouch, the old charts have quite the increase for weekend points. I am glad it is a bit more balanced now.

Thanks for the chart, Doc!! Ouch not only on the weekends, but :scared1: on the Grand Villas for the holiday periods. WOW!

Please help me out here. My understanding is that DVC cannot change the points across an entire resort from year to year, correct? They can change the points from room to room, season to season, and day to day; for instance, they've been decreasing the number of points needed for a weekend day, and increasing the corresponding points for a weekday.

But I'm comparing the 2010 and the 2011 AKV point charts right now, and they're ALL HIGHER for 2011! For instance, look at the weekly two-bedroom Standard View points:

ADVENTURE: 2010 = 215, 2011 = 220
CHOICE: 2010 = 226, 2011 = 229
DREAM: 2010 = 249, 2011 = 255
MAGIC: 2010 = 281, 2011 = 287
PREMIER: 2010 = 370, 2011 = 383

You can do this same comparison for any type of room at AKV and find the exact same thing. How is this possible??? They only have a certain number of two-bedroom standard-view rooms, and in order for them to increase the total weekly points in one, they'd have to decrease the weekly points in another. But they've increased the points for that room across the board! I bought a 270-point contract specifically because that's what my 2BR Magic Season Standard View room cost in 2008 and 2009. Then it increased to 281, and now it's 287!

Can someone please explain this to me before speak with Member Services???

Interesting to compare. I am going in May OKW 2 bdrm and adding the Sat. night was iffy for me for this trip, I did do it but with the old point charts I am not sure I would have. My trip went up a total of 10 points for the time of year and the chart reallocation.

The total points in the entire resort should not change from the original calculations which are determined using a Base Year.

You need to look at every villa size and every room category (view) in order to get the full picture. One Bedroom villas went down pretty much across the board. Value rooms are cheaper in most cases. Some of the Studio weeks saw reductions. A Standard View Grand Villa class was introduced.

Assuming that the changes are based upon supply and demand, it would appear that Two Bedroom villas had higher demand than One Bedrooms. Studios are somewhere in the middle with some increases and some decreases.

I know that when the changes were first announced, some folks here did year-to-year calculations and determined that the changes were negligible.

If you really want to speak to someone at DVC regarding the changes, I'd start with an email to Member Satisfaction: DVCmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Going "ballistic" with Member Services isn't going to accomplish much. They are simply front-line customer service reps who have little information about the nature of the changes.

Seeing the costs go up year-to-year is a tough pill for many of us to swallow. However, DVC has the right and obligation to adjust the charts periodically to keep them in line with member demand. If demand for a certain size/class villa or even season changes in relation to another, then some dates SHOULD go up in cost while others go down.

I think it had something to do with adding Kidani - more rooms, etc. :confused3 But I'd be curious to hear what you find out..:surfweb:

The total points in the entire resort should not change from the original calculations which are determined using a Base Year.

You need to look at every villa size and every room category (view) in order to get the full picture. One Bedroom villas went down pretty much across the board. Value rooms are cheaper in most cases. Some of the Studio weeks saw reductions. A Standard View Grand Villa class was introduced.

That's the funny thing, though. One bedrooms didn't go down across the board. Only the value 1BR's did. Most everything else went up. Almost all the non-value studios went up as well. This is why I'm so darn confused here.

I'm speaking with Member Services now, and they're being VERY kind and patient. They're wonderful people!

That's the funny thing, though. One bedrooms didn't go down across the board. Only the value 1BR's did. Most everything else went up. Almost all the non-value studios went up as well. This is why I'm so darn confused here.

I see many instances where points went down. A few examples (weekly values for 2009/2010/2011):

Adventure Standard 1B: 171/169/162
Premier Savanna 1B: 349/345/334
Dream Standard Studio: 99/91/95
Magic Value 2B: 256/256/243

In most resorts the weekly points did not change very much. The biggest change is a shift in points from the weekends to the weekdays. So if you traveled Sunday - Thursday, yes your points went up.

Also, the rules state they can shift points around up to 20% in a give year but like it was stated in an earlier post the Total Point value for the resort cannot change.

So I guess all you people have no problem with them forcing you to go when they want you to go. WELL GOOD FOR YOUTHEN But I dont like being manipulated

erinreid: if you go back and read this thread, you'll find that someone did a very painstaking and careful accounting of the points at AKV. The bottom line, if I recall correctly, was that some rooms were reclassified from Savannah to Standard view---rooms that looked on only a very narrow strip of "savannah", and should never have been classified that way in the first place.

In the end, DVCMC is bound by law not to change the total points for a year at the resort. It is possible that they did violate this law, but Mickey hires only the best lawyers, and general counsel presumably would have noticed such an egregious violation.

So I guess all you people have no problem with them forcing you to go when they want you to go. WELL GOOD FOR YOUTHEN But I dont like being manipulated
They're not forcing you to do anything. They are just changing point allocations. You can decide what to do with that change.

Naturally, no one likes it when things change in ways that costs them more money. But, the possibility of this change was very clearly spelled out in the documents you signed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter