DVCers Who Fly AirTran

Sammie

DIS Veteran
I know many of you don't frequent the other forums on the DIS and since this was such good news for AirTran flyers I had to share this with my fellow DVCers in case you have not heard. This was posted on the DIS Transportation forums.

AirTran will now let you preselect your seats by paying an additional $5; even for their special discounted fares. I know this is a huge deal for families that need and want seats together and the hassle of doing this while at Disney for return flights by trying to find a computer 24 hours before your flight home.

Simply go to the AirTran site, pull up your itinerary and you will have an option to select your seats. If you have a connecting flight, it is still just $5 for the flight.

It is amazing how much wonderful information is shared here on the DIS:thumbsup2

This is expecially helpful now that AirTran is a part of Resort Airline Checkin. If you checkin 24 hours ahead in order to get decent seats, you cannot then use RAC. So the new $5 policy will mean that you can have assigned seats and there is no risk of getting rotten seats by waiting to use RAC for checkin.

Sammie,

Thanks again for the posting.

I just selected our seats for our trip in September and was able to group our entire party of 6 together in two rows. We always fly Airtran, as they have the only direct flights to Orlando out of Rochester. However, we have never been able to sit together as a family. It has always been me with our two DSs in a row of three, my husband rows away from us, and my parents rows away from all of us. It is great to know that we will all be together on our next flight. Of course my DH may not have as relaxing a flight as he has become accustomed to, as now he will have to help me with the kids. So much for his reading and naps :thumbsup2

I know many of you don't frequent the other forums on the DIS and since this was such good news for AirTran flyers I had to share this with my fellow DVCers in case you have not heard. This was posted on the DIS Transportation forums.

AirTran will now let you preselect your seats by paying an additional $5; even for their special discounted fares. I know this is a huge deal for families that need and want seats together and the hassle of doing this while at Disney for return flights by trying to find a computer 24 hours before your flight home.

Simply go to the AirTran site, pull up your itinerary and you will have an option to select your seats. If you have a connecting flight, it is still just $5 for the flight.

It is amazing how much wonderful information is shared here on the DIS:thumbsup2

We have only flown AT once but then it wasn't like SW where you had to get a section. So did it change to where you didn't get to select your seats? I remember having assigned seats on both of my AT flights.

I was just on their web site today and saw the seat selection pop-up and thought it was cool. However, I didn't register that you couldn't select your seat with the Airtran cheap seats! Thanks for bringing that all together for me Sammie and Jekjones!

woo hoo - thanks!!! We have several upcoming trips with Airtran- Thanks for the heads up! :) :)

We have only flown AT once but then it wasn't like SW where you had to get a section. So did it change to where you didn't get to select your seats? I remember having assigned seats on both of my AT flights.

With AirTran until this recent change you got to select your seats if you paid full fare, however the discounted fares were only available for seat selection 24 hours before your flight. Now regardless of your fare, you can pay the seat fee and select your seats when you book.

With AirTran until this recent change you got to select your seats if you paid full fare, however the discounted fares were only available for seat selection 24 hours before your flight. Now regardless of your fare, you can pay the seat fee and select your seats when you book.

Oh okay. It was a few years ago and we only used them that one Jan. trip. I knew we got seats ahead of time and that is was not like SW so when I read this thread I was confused. LOL

This is expecially helpful now that AirTran is a part of Resort Airline Checkin.

Are they?

We were just at the BCV. I noticed that Air Tran was on the board there showing which airlines were participating. Then the next day they had covered over AirTran with a piece of tape and it stayed that way at least until June 1st when we left.

Thank you so much for posting this great info Sammie!:thumbsup2

I just reserved our seats for our July trip. This was stressing me out so bad and now I can relax.

Thanks again!:goodvibes

Thank you for sharing. I booked our seats for our next trip.

Was disappointed to see that on each flight the first few rows were blocked out... can't have been that many people ahead of me booking...guess they are holding some seats back? I had to pick row 15 when we normally sit in 10 or 11. Of course we usually upgrade when we can anyways. Love that upgrade!:thumbsup2

Thank you for sharing. I booked our seats for our next trip.

Was disappointed to see that on each flight the first few rows were blocked out... can't have been that many people ahead of me booking...guess they are holding some seats back? I had to pick row 15 when we normally sit in 10 or 11. Of course we usually upgrade when we can anyways. Love that upgrade!:thumbsup2

I would imagine they are holding those seats for full fare bookings or guests who need assistance. You might try checking back closer to your flights and see if anything opens. Someone on the Transportation Board said they changed theirs after booking and weren't charged for it.

Sammie,

Do you fly AirTran regularly? If so, do you really think the $ to book advance seats is necessary? We have 4 flying down in Dec, one of whom is a 4 YO. Do I have to worry about him sitting alone??

Do you fly AirTran regularly? If so, do you really think the $ to book advance seats is necessary? We have 4 flying down in Dec, one of whom is a 4 YO. Do I have to worry about him sitting alone??

Nope - they won't let a 4 yo sit alone - they'll switch seats around on board if necessary. :)

You know, I went to book seats and stopped because of the rows blocked AND because we normally upgrade at the gate if we can. Now debating if I want to spend and extra $20 (for 2 of us round trip) on top of the upgrade fees. (yes, we spend like drunken sailors at WDW yet I'm debating the $20.00 - go figure.:rotfl: )

Nope - they won't let a 4 yo sit alone - they'll switch seats around on board if necessary. :)

You know, I went to book seats and stopped because of the rows blocked AND because we normally upgrade at the gate if we can. Now debating if I want to spend and extra $20 (for 2 of us round trip) on top of the upgrade fees. (yes, we spend like drunken sailors at WDW yet I'm debating the $20.00 - go figure.:rotfl: )

Thanks - that's kind of what I thought. For us, it'll be $40 R/T, and I too have suddenly gotten more frugal...My one concern is the flight is on Dec 30 - based on airfare availability, I'm guessing this will be a busy travel day so maybe I'll be better off paying the $$ - we'll have our 4 YO GDS (lives with us) and my 74 YO mother along with the 2 of us.

I actually bailed on an AirTran flight, because I thought it was going to charge me $5 for each leg! That would have been another $40 just for the two of us.

So I went with another airline....good to know it wouldn't have kept racking up seat charges if I'd continued.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter