Egypt January 2, 2024 trip report

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
Hey there ABD peeps! We are embarking on our 12th ABD. Those who have followed my trip reports since our first ABD know that we utilize travel hacking on our trips. Storytime on one of my epic travel hacking "failures" this year. The goal: Flights in lie flat seats there using miles only. Plan A - Perfect opportunity to fly Qatar Q suites, book using Avios or AA miles when flights open up. Was in the Galapagos when they did, timing was off. Failed. Plan B - Visit Petra as a pre trip and fly there first instead. Failed. Plan C - Go to Nairobi for a short safari and stay in Giraffe Manor. Successfully booked Giraffe Manor. Flights would involve 60 hours of travel with multiple long layovers and connections plus Covid testing. Not worth it, cancelled Giraffe Manor. Failed. Plan D - Position for the direct flight from US to Cairo using United miles on Egypt air business from either JFK or IAD. Failed since only coach seats available for Egypt air. Plan E - Leave a couple of days earlier and fly to London for New Year's Eve and enjoy the fireworks in a room with a view of said fireworks ringing in the New Year across the pond. Get tickets to go see ABBA Voyage while we are in town. We also wound up getting tickets to the Disney 100 Exhibition and visited the Covent Garden Christmas market. Flying on British Airways with a 2 day stopover on the same award ticket and continue to Cairo on my birthday, January 1st. Success! Hindsight is 20/20 and THIS should have been Plan A 🤣 Moral of the story: Sometimes what seems like an epic failure is just an epic success in disguise. I wish I would have had a camera for the look on DH’s face when I told him we were going to London to see the NYE fireworks and I wanted to get tickets to see ABBA voyage. He was like, “but I thought we were going to Egypt with our friends.” I said yeah we are, same trip but with a slight detour. Then he just said, Ok cool, sounds fun. I love that he doesn’t ask for explanations and just rolls with it. We booked our flights using Avios miles during a 30% transfer bonus from either Amex or Chase, I honestly don’t recall which for this trip.

Finding a hotel in London with a guaranteed fireworks view was challenging. Most wanted a 2-3 night minimum stay and were charging between $2,000 - $3,000 per night 😳 I was not up for staying outside in the cold and other potential weather elements for hours to see fireworks. We wound up booking our two night stay at Sea Containers with their New Year’s Eve package. We should be receiving a bottle of champagne and canapés this evening and our room has a decent view.

Our ABD is supposed to start on January 2nd and we opted for a pre night tomorrow as well. We leave in the morning for the second half of our British Airways flight which is about 5 hours. I will be attempting a day by day play by play trip report as I have done on our past ABD trips. Of course this will depend on the mood of the WiFi and cellular connection gods in the region. Happy New Year everyone!

IMG_0555.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

Fantastic! So glad you made the detour- my husband and I have discussed a NYE in London some day. It looks like you had a great start to your trip. Can't wait to follow along. I'd love to do the Egypt trip, but my husband is absolutely against it, so it will have to be a solo trip someday. Have a great trip and can't wait to follow along

What an awesome view!
I was pleased!
Fantastic! So glad you made the detour- my husband and I have discussed a NYE in London some day. It looks like you had a great start to your trip. Can't wait to follow along. I'd love to do the Egypt trip, but my husband is absolutely against it, so it will have to be a solo trip someday. Have a great trip and can't wait to follow along
It was a lot of fun! Thanks for following along.

We arrived in Cairo today. As soon as we disembarked the plane, a representative was waiting to greet us. We were whisked through an exit door that was clearly not for regular passengers to exit. From there we were picked up by a car and whisked a short distance away and into lounge. We handed over our passports and luggage receipts. A little over an hour later, the representative came to get us. We now had visas in our passports and our luggage had been picked up. I couldn’t describe the inside of the Cairo airport because we practically didn’t see it.

Our driver and local guide handling transfers to ABD took us to the hotel. We are at the Nile Ritz Carlton. Mohammed, the local logistics guide took care of our check in process with our passports while we waited chit chatting with friends who are also on the trip with us. There was a form to sign and we received the welcome letter and our key cards. Upon entering the room, I thought we were put in a smoking room by mistake. We went back down to request a non smoking room since I have asthma which would be triggered in no time. Apparently it was a non smoking room. I’m guessing a previous guest decided to smoke. We were placed in another room which was perfectly fine.

We decided to go to dinner at the on site Italian restaurant, Vivo. The seafood risotto and osso buco were both good!

IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0709.jpeg

We are on our pre day and went to visit the Saqqara Step pyramid, tombs and the Imhotep museum. Afterwards, we went to the Grand Egyptian museum which is partially open. It was pretty amazing to see how well preserved some of the colors are after thousands of years. I was also pretty stunned that people are able to just go in and wander around. Sharing some pics.

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg

Just a heads up for anyone who is doing this trip and is Canadian. One of our traveling companions is Canadian and our travel agent who is also with us on the trip discovered that as of October, Canadians were not allowed to get their visa upon arrival anymore. Our Canadian friend had to get her visa ahead of time. I figured this was good information to know if you are planning on this ABD and you hold a Canadian passport.

Just a heads up for anyone who is doing this trip and is Canadian. One of our traveling companions is Canadian and our travel agent who is also with us on the trip discovered that as of October, Canadians were not allowed to get their visa upon arrival anymore. Our Canadian friend had to get her visa ahead of time. I figured this was good information to know if you are planning on this ABD and you hold a Canadian passport.
Thank you!

@calypso726 I am following along, too. I've been mostly reading in this forum since we haven't taken an ABD since 2019 and do not have one currently planned. This is the trip we wanted in October 2020.

I love reading your trip reports and look forward to the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter