Egypt January 2, 2024 trip report

I loved following along with this trip report, thank you so much for all of the details and all the great photos!

There are two things I wanted to know about the experience that I'm hoping ABD takes care of, but I wanted to hear about what the experiences have been like for you or others in your group:

- The reason why I'd want to try Adventures by Disney compared to going on our own or with other tour groups is to avoid getting "hassled" constantly by people at each stop from what I hear from everyone I know who's been to Egypt. What was this like or did the guides help prevent that from happening?

- Were there any same sex couples on this trip? How did they find the experience in Egypt and did they have to avoid things like holding hands or hugging? I'm trying to find experiences like this because I'm little bit worried for myself and my fiance.

Thank you so much!

How did the folk who went snorkeling find it..? Did your husband (partner?) go, or did he hang around the resort as well? Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for us - while ON vacation no less! I feel like the beginning of the trip was a heck of a ride, but remain unconvinced about the use of time there at the end. Decisions decisions... for now I'll keep our Viking booking as it hits those temples you'd wished you had time for, and continue some minor soul searching. It seems we can book both the between the toes Sphinx tour and into the pyramid tour on our own on day tours if we were dead set on that. I need to do more research.
I'm doing the same--keeping our Viking reservation for now, and looking into the VIP Sphinx access. I've seen couple companies offer it, but didn't try to actually book. After @calypso726's report though I am thinking about ABD. I love the new Viking ships though so that's still a pull. Weighing that, the additional sites (also the hot air balloon exclusion looks incredible), and the ABD hand-holding, which in a place like Egypt is very very appealing. But then there is Sharm, which I still have zero interest in (especially given the effort to get there and fly out of).

Thank you so much Calypso for the fabulous on the go trip report. You've given me a lot to think about!

How did the folk who went snorkeling find it..? Did your husband (partner?) go, or did he hang around the resort as well? Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for us - while ON vacation no less! I feel like the beginning of the trip was a heck of a ride, but remain unconvinced about the use of time there at the end. Decisions decisions... for now I'll keep our Viking booking as it hits those temples you'd wished you had time for, and continue some minor soul searching. It seems we can book both the between the toes Sphinx tour and into the pyramid tour on our own on day tours if we were dead set on that. I need to do more research.
Everyone seemed to enjoy it. My husband didn’t go. He said he would do it only if one of our other traveling companions would have been alone. But two of our friends went together. Like me, the hubby slept in. He said he wasn’t interested in snorkeling. Contrast that with this time last year when we were in the Galapagos, he flat out told me he would be going snorkeling with or without me. I still had not decided if I was actually going to do it despite watching videos of sharks not attacking people for a whole year in preparation. Our friends took pictures and video. I could see that the water was clear but I don’t feel like I missed out on anything. Other than a pretty giant clam, I have seen the same kinds of fish in the Galapagos, the cove next door to Aulani and a small knee deep reef off a beach in Moorea that I was ok with looking at with a mask since the water was calm. If there were more fish that are unique to the area, I didn’t see pictures or videos of them.

To be fair, as I have said before, I came into this knowing nothing about Egypt besides the fact that I thought it would be cool to see pyramids and the Sphinx in person and check mark continent number 7. I knew I did not want to navigate this on my own and seeing firsthand what that could have looked like, I made the right call. With zero interest in Sharm and snorkeling or staying at beach in an all inclusive, I booked it and decided to call it my built in recovery. It was while I was here that I learned about Nefertari and her tomb and some of the other impressive tombs. I would like to see those and I regret not knowing what I didn’t know. I still don’t know who Seti I was but his tomb is Wow! Glad we bought that extra ticket and it worked out timing wise while we were with ABD in Valley of the Kings. If I had to book again knowing what I know, now, I’d either blow off Sharm entirely and stay an extra day in Luxor to see Valley of the Queens and Nefertari’s tomb, or see if it was feasible to do it earlier the same morning we go to Valley of the Kings. The risky part of that is apparently no two ABD Egypt trips run exactly the same. Sometimes the guides are forced to switch things around on the fly due to things beyond their control. Another thing I considered was flying back to Luxor from Sharm but direct flights were gone as I was looking the day before. With all that said, I’m glad I have had a chance to just rest and relax. I very rarely get to do that and never have after an ABD. Yes I could have just come home and done that but honestly there is no reality where I take a PTO day and use it to relax at home. I’m usually wiped out.

The highlights ABD does with the group only access are the kind that knock it out of the park. From where I sit, the only stress I went through was booking flights with miles but that’s a travel hacker specific problem and that turned out better than expected. I got an amazing vacation that allowed me to experience things I wanted to, things I didn’t know I needed or wanted to. I got to do some of those in a manner I would never be able to recreate on my own. The absolute “worst” part of this for me is that I am at a beautiful all inclusive resort with stunning pools, stunning views of the ocean and topography in the distance with great food, service and wine. If that’s not a first world problem, I don’t know what is. Now that I read what I just wrote I’m glad to take the L on that part of the itinerary 😂. #worthit

I loved following along with this trip report, thank you so much for all of the details and all the great photos!

There are two things I wanted to know about the experience that I'm hoping ABD takes care of, but I wanted to hear about what the experiences have been like for you or others in your group:

- The reason why I'd want to try Adventures by Disney compared to going on our own or with other tour groups is to avoid getting "hassled" constantly by people at each stop from what I hear from everyone I know who's been to Egypt. What was this like or did the guides help prevent that from happening?

- Were there any same sex couples on this trip? How did they find the experience in Egypt and did they have to avoid things like holding hands or hugging? I'm trying to find experiences like this because I'm little bit worried for myself and my fiance.

Thank you so much!

I think wherever you go and there are markets or shops, you are going to get hassled to an extent. The majority of it is just calling out to come see their stuff, they do get close to you to show and item and say the price but no one touches you. They will be calling out prices or saying it’s free to look. When you are with ABD in a group, one guide takes up the front, one the rear and the Egyptologist somewhere in the middle and I think that minimizes some of it. I mentioned one intense moment but it was just annoying to an extreme and only happened once. The rest were mostly funny. They will say things like, Tell me how I can take your money. My shop is a good place to spend all your husband’s money. I don’t know what you’re looking for but I have it. We had one funny interaction yesterday with a shop keeper as I was looking for something specific. He was trying to find me the color I wanted but didn’t have it and was saying things like I was breaking his heart by not buying it and I’d say he was breaking my heart by not having the right color. He asked my friend how long she’d been married (her husband wasn’t there it was just 3 of us women) and she said 30 years. He responded with that’s 25 years too long and she should come live with him now. We were all laughing the whole time and everything was very clearly said in jest and fun. We were on our own for this part having been dropped off at the market for a shopping trip. From what I have seen, ABD minimizes what I would say are probably 90% of the hassling you’d endure since they take care of the tips at all bathrooms and anywhere else a tip is expected. They prep you on what to expect before each stop where we have to run the market gauntlet. Think Disney, there’s a gift shop after every attraction. This is about the same. They also prep you for all the scams you could encounter like let’s say a local in a tomb offering to take your picture. Seems harmless but apparently you won’t get your phone back until you tip them. So you know not to hand your phone to anyone and not to accept any helpful offers from anyone. This all sounds bad on paper but it was much easier in practice.

There were no same sex couples on our trip. Initially we did have a couple who are part of our BFF travel group book the trip that is a same sex couple. They canceled due to not getting the time off from work. We have been on many DCL trips with them and never any issues. I would expect that any trip with Disney is going to be inclusive. Knowing that things are super different here from a cultural standpoint, even I check myself to avoid problems. Here I did the same as I do when we’ve gone to Dubai since the UAE is super conservative. No PDA whatsoever. The hubby and I hold hands, bump foreheads and do silly innocuous type of PDA like that normally. We make a conscious effort not to whenever we visit a country where it isn’t considered acceptable. In your shoes, I would book with ABD for both the less hassling you will encounter compared to other ways of doing this and the knowledge that one of the 5 keys of Disney is Inclusion. Then, on day 1 when you meet your guides, ask for guidance on navigating the trip as a same sex couple.

I'm doing the same--keeping our Viking reservation for now, and looking into the VIP Sphinx access. I've seen couple companies offer it, but didn't try to actually book. After @calypso726's report though I am thinking about ABD. I love the new Viking ships though so that's still a pull. Weighing that, the additional sites (also the hot air balloon exclusion looks incredible), and the ABD hand-holding, which in a place like Egypt is very very appealing. But then there is Sharm, which I still have zero interest in (especially given the effort to get there and fly out of).

Thank you so much Calypso for the fabulous on the go trip report. You've given me a lot to think about!
You’re welcome! I’m gonna say blow of Sharm and take up on your own or switch gears on Valley of the Kings day in Luxor 😉

Thank you so much!

It turns out our same sex couple friends that had booked this trip did reach out to ABD guides they know that have run this trip. They were told it’s not an issue. Before leaving, I asked our local ABD guide Karim about same sex couple on this ABD Egypt trip. He said it’s not a concern and there have been same sex couples on previous trips. He said Egypt is very welcoming and it isn’t something to worry about. Hope that helps.

Before leaving today I discovered what I’m going to call dry snorkeling. There is a pier and you can snorkel off the pier. I walked the pier and stuck my phone in the water periodically to try and get pictures and video of fish. Here are a few I saw and managed to capture. It didn’t appear super deep but I wasn’t going in after reading that sign 😂

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

Uhh.. pretty sure the spicy spiky looking fish is a lion fish. That fish is NOT your friend! :scared:

Yup! I’m pretty sure too. When I saw it, I was very glad I saw the sign about not feeding the sharks and didn’t go in. I totally would have flailed right into a lion fish and wound up in a medical emergency situation.

Thanks for such a great report, loved your pictures! Egypt has never been on my travel list, and after reading the report on the NatGeo experience, definitely not interested. However, your pictures now have me maybe rethinking Egypt.

Thanks for such a great report, loved your pictures! Egypt has never been on my travel list, and after reading the report on the NatGeo experience, definitely not interested. However, your pictures now have me maybe rethinking Egypt.
Oh you’re welcome! I am so glad you enjoyed my day by day play by play and pictures. It’s pretty amazing to come face to face with the history of civilization in this manner.

This is so interesting to me re Viking vs ABD - we JUST got done with our first Viking cruise to Antarctica and we really loved the ship, service and customer philosophy. We are booked for an Adults Only ABD to Egypt early next year, and we recently compared the Viking & ABD Egypt trips/itinerary just out of curiosity. You can really see the difference in their approach to hospitality and the advantages of each in that comparison.

I think wherever you go and there are markets or shops, you are going to get hassled to an extent. The majority of it is just calling out to come see their stuff, they do get close to you to show and item and say the price but no one touches you. They will be calling out prices or saying it’s free to look. When you are with ABD in a group, one guide takes up the front, one the rear and the Egyptologist somewhere in the middle and I think that minimizes some of it. I mentioned one intense moment but it was just annoying to an extreme and only happened once. The rest were mostly funny. They will say things like, Tell me how I can take your money. My shop is a good place to spend all your husband’s money. I don’t know what you’re looking for but I have it. We had one funny interaction yesterday with a shop keeper as I was looking for something specific. He was trying to find me the color I wanted but didn’t have it and was saying things like I was breaking his heart by not buying it and I’d say he was breaking my heart by not having the right color. He asked my friend how long she’d been married (her husband wasn’t there it was just 3 of us women) and she said 30 years. He responded with that’s 25 years too long and she should come live with him now. We were all laughing the whole time and everything was very clearly said in jest and fun. We were on our own for this part having been dropped off at the market for a shopping trip. From what I have seen, ABD minimizes what I would say are probably 90% of the hassling you’d endure since they take care of the tips at all bathrooms and anywhere else a tip is expected. They prep you on what to expect before each stop where we have to run the market gauntlet. Think Disney, there’s a gift shop after every attraction. This is about the same. They also prep you for all the scams you could encounter like let’s say a local in a tomb offering to take your picture. Seems harmless but apparently you won’t get your phone back until you tip them. So you know not to hand your phone to anyone and not to accept any helpful offers from anyone. This all sounds bad on paper but it was much easier in practice.

There were no same sex couples on our trip. Initially we did have a couple who are part of our BFF travel group book the trip that is a same sex couple. They canceled due to not getting the time off from work. We have been on many DCL trips with them and never any issues. I would expect that any trip with Disney is going to be inclusive. Knowing that things are super different here from a cultural standpoint, even I check myself to avoid problems. Here I did the same as I do when we’ve gone to Dubai since the UAE is super conservative. No PDA whatsoever. The hubby and I hold hands, bump foreheads and do silly innocuous type of PDA like that normally. We make a conscious effort not to whenever we visit a country where it isn’t considered acceptable. In your shoes, I would book with ABD for both the less hassling you will encounter compared to other ways of doing this and the knowledge that one of the 5 keys of Disney is Inclusion. Then, on day 1 when you meet your guides, ask for guidance on navigating the trip as a same sex couple.

Thank you so much for writing this! It made me feel better about the trip but I spent the past month talking to ABD and sadly their response was that they cannot guarantee that anything will happen so we're better off introducing ourselves as friends and avoiding being close to each other in public.

Thank you so much for writing this! It made me feel better about the trip but I spent the past month talking to ABD and sadly their response was that they cannot guarantee that anything will happen so we're better off introducing ourselves as friends and avoiding being close to each other in public.
You’re welcome.

Not surprising since they are going to legally employ a CYA response. I did ask both the local guide and the ABD guide about same sex couples on the trip. Both said they have had same sex couples on the trip and there have been no issues.

The local guide said Egyptians are welcoming towards everyone 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think same sex couples are more likely to encounter less potential for problems with ABD and Disney in general. I also would as a caution avoid PDA which even as a hetero couple we avoid in certain countries.

Last edited:
Short highjack on this thread - which is a wonderful trip report Calypso - to do an ABD shoutout. Jeanine O'Neill with ABD air has been a massive help in the past for us with Air. She has consistently gone above and beyond for us. Our last several trips we try to get her on the account. We leave Monday (4 days from now) to Egypt with some concerns about what is going on in Gaza and Egypt, and some airlines cancelling flights. For several weeks we have been locked out of the "manage your booking" with Turkish Air. There was a minor time change of twenty minutes for one departure. We called Turkish Air and she told us there is a problem, and we needed to talk to our agent. Jeanine looked everything over and said we appeared fine. We talked and I told her what we were seeing as a passenger logging in, so she also logged in the same way and said agreed something wasn't right. She researched it and could not make things work and then called into Turkish Air (terminal hold) and the tickets were not going to be valid as there was a time limit to accept the flight time change. Online we couldn't accept the change, only demand a cancel and refund. Jeanine took care of everything and new tickets are issued, everything is good. We fly economy (steerage) and reserved seats are expensive on each leg of Turkish Air , so we needed to be able to check in online the day before to get the free seats but sit together. Jeanine called us multiple times to reassure us everything would be taken care of and it was - she did everything to make it so. Way way above the call of duty. We felt a lot of the famous Disney Magic on a worrisome part of the trip. I know a lot of complaints and problems get posted on these boards - Our shoutout to Jeanine for being the best of the best ensures we will continue to rely on ABD Air for future bookings.

Short highjack on this thread - which is a wonderful trip report Calypso - to do an ABD shoutout. Jeanine O'Neill with ABD air has been a massive help in the past for us with Air. She has consistently gone above and beyond for us. Our last several trips we try to get her on the account. We leave Monday (4 days from now) to Egypt with some concerns about what is going on in Gaza and Egypt, and some airlines cancelling flights. For several weeks we have been locked out of the "manage your booking" with Turkish Air. There was a minor time change of twenty minutes for one departure. We called Turkish Air and she told us there is a problem, and we needed to talk to our agent. Jeanine looked everything over and said we appeared fine. We talked and I told her what we were seeing as a passenger logging in, so she also logged in the same way and said agreed something wasn't right. She researched it and could not make things work and then called into Turkish Air (terminal hold) and the tickets were not going to be valid as there was a time limit to accept the flight time change. Online we couldn't accept the change, only demand a cancel and refund. Jeanine took care of everything and new tickets are issued, everything is good. We fly economy (steerage) and reserved seats are expensive on each leg of Turkish Air , so we needed to be able to check in online the day before to get the free seats but sit together. Jeanine called us multiple times to reassure us everything would be taken care of and it was - she did everything to make it so. Way way above the call of duty. We felt a lot of the famous Disney Magic on a worrisome part of the trip. I know a lot of complaints and problems get posted on these boards - Our shoutout to Jeanine for being the best of the best ensures we will continue to rely on ABD Air for future bookings.
That’s really great! The war had to be really concerning for you and then this potential flight fiasco. I’m glad it’s working out. We might be doing this trip next year. Hope yours is amazing!

How strange that you need to choose a meal suddenly... I wonder if it is dictated by the hotel?

Speaking of dinners how was the dinner at the Old Cataract? I was thinking of booking high tea there, but if we switch gears and go with Disney perhaps a dinner is just as good (or better).
We didn’t do an ABD but we were in Egypt & Jordan Jan ‘23 and stayed at the Old Cataract - the hotel is wonderful (book the old wing) and we loved the restaurants for dinner but the high tea was disappointing. I liked the tea at the Winter Palace far more!
For AA members wanting to book lie-flat seats: BA’s fees are nutty for mileage tix so we took partner Royal Jordanian for that trip and I highly recommend them! Best food I’ve ever had on an airline.
Calypso726 your trip looks amazing! I’m very jealous ABD got you through the Cairo airport so easily. Dealing with that airport is the closest I’ve ever come to having a meltdown while traveling.

Wow! Sounds like Jeanine is truly worth her weight in gold! A really good travel agent (which she is basically acting as here) is a thing of beauty! You guys have a FANTABULOUS time in Egypt, and be sure to tell us ALL ABOUT IT!! I can hardly wait!

Sayhello

We didn’t do an ABD but we were in Egypt & Jordan Jan ‘23 and stayed at the Old Cataract - the hotel is wonderful (book the old wing) and we loved the restaurants for dinner but the high tea was disappointing. I liked the tea at the Winter Palace far more!
For AA members wanting to book lie-flat seats: BA’s fees are nutty for mileage tix so we took partner Royal Jordanian for that trip and I highly recommend them! Best food I’ve ever had on an airline.
Calypso726 your trip looks amazing! I’m very jealous ABD got you through the Cairo airport so easily. Dealing with that airport is the closest I’ve ever come to having a meltdown while traveling.
Reportedly on the bbc both the Old Cataract and the Mena House Hotel have now been sold by the Egyptian government as the beginning of a frantic fire sale to raise cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter