Egypt January 2, 2024 trip report

Following along and loving the photography, specifically the champagne fireworks photo and the camel/pyramid photo.

You looked absolutely stunning in that Galabia. Did you buy it locally or ahead of time? It really suits you so well.
Aww thank you! We bought the Galabias on the ship a few hours before the party. We could have easily bought some at the market while we were there shopping for the white elephant gift but I wanted to spend my efforts on the experience of haggling for the gift only with the money ABD gave us rather than shopping for myself. It will likely be the only time I wear it but I figured when else will I be in Egypt and attending a Galabia party lol

Last edited:
Aww thank you! We bought the Galabias on the ship a few hours before the party. We could have easily bought some at the market while we were there shopping for the white elephant gift but I wanted to spend my efforts on the experience of haggling for the gift only with the money ABD gave us rather than shopping for myself. It will likely e the only time I wear it but I figured when else will I be in Egypt and attending a Galabia party lol
So, what did you buy as your white elephant gift?!

Today we had a late morning and then visited Karnak Temple and then the Papyrus institute. We had a papyrus demonstration and received our own papyrus with a cartouche of our name we chose earlier. We were also given the option to paint/color in the hieroglyphics of our names.
IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg

Yes China and even Japan shined. Honestly, I don’t think anything will ever top our first year Scotland trip we did with you and @Calfan. It was a delightful combo of that first year unique itinerary, a really fun group of people we met and traveled with on that trip and of course because it was our first ABD 🥰

You’re right there is no quantifiable way. But when I think of what it would take to replicate this trip and ones like China and Japan. The sheer logistics of putting it all together, arranging the travel, tickets, guides, sourcing where is it safe to eat at each location, what exactly am I to expect that will be culturally different and how do I navigate that without causing an international incident, plan b, c and d for when something goes sideways and I have to pivot, all with no special access to anything, I just laugh. Like I said earlier, I truly don’t know anything about Egypt. I wanted to see the pyramids and the Sphinx and mostly cross off my seventh continent. Even made tee shirts! (Pic below) Sounds like a silly reason to book with ABD for just that. But I knew I’d get so much more. I’ve seen things I didn’t even know I needed or wanted to see!

View attachment 823629
View attachment 823630
Those t-shirts are awesome. DH and I saw them on FB. Love! I was supposed to hit Africa on a DCL cruise years back (Tunisia), but then Arab Spring happened and they killed it :( I still need Africa, Antartica and Australia. I do feel like I should get extra credit for the Faroes, Punta Arenas, and Everest Base Camp though!! :rotfl2:

I full agree with you about Scotland. That really was a magical trip and probably impossible to ever beat (although China comes very close for me, with Japan a close third). The hotels in China and Japan were an important part of the experience for me--we still talk about the Peninsula Tokyo and the Beijing Rosewood. I've heard something similar about the hotels for the Southeast Asia trip so that one remains on my shorter ABD list. I would have also been interested in the Arctic cruise if they kept it around (or bring it back).

But thank you again for your trusted perspective on this trip so far. We do have specific things we really want to see (our Archaeologist daughter demands, LOL), but I'm most curious about Sharm. The whole fly to a beach for a day or two doesn't appeal at all so I'll be very curious as to what you think about that part of the itinerary. That more than anything has probably kept me from booking this trip.

Those t-shirts are awesome. DH and I saw them on FB. Love! I was supposed to hit Africa on a DCL cruise years back (Tunisia), but then Arab Spring happened and they killed it :( I still need Africa, Antartica and Australia. I do feel like I should get extra credit for the Faroes, Punta Arenas, and Everest Base Camp though!! :rotfl2:

I full agree with you about Scotland. That really was a magical trip and probably impossible to ever beat (although China comes very close for me, with Japan a close third). The hotels in China and Japan were an important part of the experience for me--we still talk about the Peninsula Tokyo and the Beijing Rosewood. I've heard something similar about the hotels for the Southeast Asia trip so that one remains on my shorter ABD list. I would have also been interested in the Arctic cruise if they kept it around (or bring it back).

But thank you again for your trusted perspective on this trip so far. We do have specific things we really want to see (our Archaeologist daughter demands, LOL), but I'm most curious about Sharm. The whole fly to a beach for a day or two doesn't appeal at all so I'll be very curious as to what you think about that part of the itinerary. That more than anything has probably kept me from booking this trip.

I’ve been wanting to do the Faroes ever since it got canceled on the Norway cruise we were all on. I’m sure I will pull the trigger eventually. I definitely would like to do a safari trip but I don’t have much interest in South Africa. I’d like to go to Kenya and Tanzania. I know NatGeo has something but after reading the trip report from the Egypt NatGeo trip, I’d be reluctant to do it. I’m just gonna travel hack it, or most of it anyway. Everest Base Camp is not at all on my radar and I saw your trip on FB. Mad props!!!! That alone deserves ALL the extra credit.

Yes those hotels in China were pretty amazing. I STILL have my Peninsula slippers and they come with me on all my trips! So comfy!

Full disclosure. I have zero interest in Sharm. I have been to both the Maldives and islands in French Polynesia. I’d be surprised if Sharm tops either. I will not go snorkeling. I have faced my irrational fear of sharks and managed to do snorkeling (for about 5 minutes) in the Great Barrier Reef 20 years ago. Then again in last year in the Galapagos. I’m done. The only snorkeling I am willing to do is at Paradise Cove next to Aulani thanks to its unique features.

So, I booked this trip knowing full well that that part of it is absolutely wasted on me. Friends that we are with are definitely looking forward to snorkeling in the Red Sea. However, I booked this before knowing if anyone else we know was coming with us. I decided to take it as a way to relax a bit after my ABD because they tend to be “go go go” and I feel like I always need a vacation from the “adventure vacation” so now I get one before a long flight. It’s an all inclusive resort so I’m going to sleep in, see what the resort has to offer that might be interesting and just relax. You know how when we fly into and out of London on BA and the taxes and fees on an award flight are ridiculous? So I like to justify it by telling myself I bought a ticket for less than coach price (taxes and fees) and upgraded to business with miles simply because getting a flight on BA in business tends to be easy. Ok same thing. Sharm is probably going to be my taxes and fees part of the trip 😂

OMG, those after-hour shots of Luxor (and of Abu Simbel) are amazing! So beautiful! It's stuff like that that really seems to make this trip special!

Sayhello
It’s been an incredibly special trip!

H
Oh no! We loved our AMA/ABD Danube river cruise. It’s the only river cruise we’ve done besides the one we are on now in the Nile. I have actually considered booking a river cruise with AMA down the line.
I suspect having ABD there helped a lot... I won't derail your thread any more, but they add a lot to the trips it seems! :)

So today we did have to pre choose a meal and pre choose a restaurant. We have an on our own dinner in Sharm and were given the choices of which restaurant we wanted to dine at and the guides will make our reservations. We also had to choose our farewell dinner meal. This has been the only time we have had to pre select a meal.

After the Luxor Temple there was a belly dancer for entertainment in the lounge on the ship. Our group was kind of tired so we opted out on that. Tomorrow we leave the ship and it is also our last day with our Egyptologist.

So today we did have to pre choose a meal and pre choose a restaurant. We have an on our own dinner in Sharm and were given the choices of which restaurant we wanted to dine at and the guides will make our reservations. We also had to choose our farewell dinner meal. This has been the only time we have had to pre select a meal.

After the Luxor Temple there was a belly dancer for entertainment in the lounge on the ship. Our group was kind of tired so we opted out on that. Tomorrow we leave the ship and it is also our last day with our Egyptologist.
How strange that you need to choose a meal suddenly... I wonder if it is dictated by the hotel?

Speaking of dinners how was the dinner at the Old Cataract? I was thinking of booking high tea there, but if we switch gears and go with Disney perhaps a dinner is just as good (or better).

Thanks for doing this report and for detailing differences between the ABD and National Geo trips!

I know the work it takes to write a trip report, and I'm amazed that you are able to do this during the trip!

How strange that you need to choose a meal suddenly... I wonder if it is dictated by the hotel?

Speaking of dinners how was the dinner at the Old Cataract? I was thinking of booking high tea there, but if we switch gears and go with Disney perhaps a dinner is just as good (or better).
Might be a hotel decision. I’m not sure but it doesn’t bother me.

It was nice. I loved the outdoor experience with the view. I did enjoy everything we ate but my least favorite was the Egyptian spinach. Not a fan of the texture but I did eat it anyway. The loaded rice was my favorite and the okra was really good considering I don’t like okra very much. We also got to see someone making pita outside and that was pretty cool.

IMG_1596.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for doing this report and for detailing differences between the ABD and National Geo trips!

I know the work it takes to write a trip report, and I'm amazed that you are able to do this during the trip!
You are very welcome. My posts have been relatively short because I’m doing this on the fly. I will try to add more detailed thoughts when time permits and maybe after the trip. So, I welcome any questions in case I neglect to share something that I should.

I’ve been wanting to do the Faroes ever since it got canceled on the Norway cruise we were all on. I’m sure I will pull the trigger eventually. I definitely would like to do a safari trip but I don’t have much interest in South Africa. I’d like to go to Kenya and Tanzania. I know NatGeo has something but after reading the trip report from the Egypt NatGeo trip, I’d be reluctant to do it. I’m just gonna travel hack it, or most of it anyway. Everest Base Camp is not at all on my radar and I saw your trip on FB. Mad props!!!! That alone deserves ALL the extra credit.

Yes those hotels in China were pretty amazing. I STILL have my Peninsula slippers and they come with me on all my trips! So comfy!

Full disclosure. I have zero interest in Sharm. I have been to both the Maldives and islands in French Polynesia. I’d be surprised if Sharm tops either. I will not go snorkeling. I have faced my irrational fear of sharks and managed to do snorkeling (for about 5 minutes) in the Great Barrier Reef 20 years ago. Then again in last year in the Galapagos. I’m done. The only snorkeling I am willing to do is at Paradise Cove next to Aulani thanks to its unique features.

So, I booked this trip knowing full well that that part of it is absolutely wasted on me. Friends that we are with are definitely looking forward to snorkeling in the Red Sea. However, I booked this before knowing if anyone else we know was coming with us. I decided to take it as a way to relax a bit after my ABD because they tend to be “go go go” and I feel like I always need a vacation from the “adventure vacation” so now I get one before a long flight. It’s an all inclusive resort so I’m going to sleep in, see what the resort has to offer that might be interesting and just relax. You know how when we fly into and out of London on BA and the taxes and fees on an award flight are ridiculous? So I like to justify it by telling myself I bought a ticket for less than coach price (taxes and fees) and upgraded to business with miles simply because getting a flight on BA in business tends to be easy. Ok same thing. Sharm is probably going to be my taxes and fees part of the trip 😂
I was crushed when DCL cancelled the Faroes for our cruise with you guys. That was my #1 bucket list place and I was so excited. I was able to get there a few years later, and it was fabulous. The vistas are incredible. LOL on EBC--it's not on many people's lists, but seeing Everest from the top of Kala Patthar at 18,519 (only 10.5k feet lower) ... priceless. Definitely a one and done though. I'm a Peninsula hotel girl nowadays and roughing it was a challenge. I suspect I'll do Kilimanjaro for one of my next hikes and get Africa that way. I'm with you on that, BTW.

I am even more interested now in hearing our perspective on the Sharm part of the trip as we are of like mind. And I totally get that calculus. I'm right there with you on BA taxes and fees. I buy an obscene number of RT Club or First tickets a year and I feel the same way--paying for economy or premium economy and flying business or first on miles.

Can't wait to hear more and a big hug/hello to plane princess from us!

You know how when we fly into and out of London on BA and the taxes and fees on an award flight are ridiculous? So I like to justify it by telling myself I bought a ticket for less than coach price (taxes and fees) and upgraded to business with miles simply because getting a flight on BA in business tends to be easy.

Oh no. I hadn't ever justified it like that, but let me tell you, that's GOOD. I'm pretty good at squinting and turning my head just right to make travel hacking math work out, in favor of the thing I want to do. This is going to be a dangerous new justification!! 🤣

I didn't know that ABD was still doing the white elephant gift exchange. While we have always enjoyed it, we had a bad experience on our Peru trip. One of the moms that we had spent the trip with took dd's item, which she LOVED. Since the mom was one of the last to pick dd had no opportunity to get it back. She was almost in tears and I thought that that violated "mom code", but obv couldn't say anything (I did see her in a whole different light though). Mind you when her dd's were STARVING the next morning and the guides had run out of snacks, I gave each of them granola bars from my personal stash -- that I brought with me on the trip, but I did hesitate because I seriously doubt she would have done the same. I mean her dd's and my dd had been best buds the entire trip and we got on very well. But to show how good the guides are, they saw how distraught dd was and somehow were able to purchase the item (even though the stores were closed the morning we flew from Cusco back to Lima). Huge kudos to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter