End of an Era (Our Family's DVC Trips)

Diznut84

SoCal
I knew it would end someday, but hoped it would be when they buried me... :)

My DD 12 and DD 9 are now both so busy with school, sports, and activities that it has become too hard for us to find time to get to WDW. We have been going to WDW the last 10+ years for on average of two weeks per trip twice per year (total of 4 weeks per year). With annual passes, it worked GREAT, although I personally felt like I should have been allowed to vote in Florida elections... :)

But this is our last trip for awhile this upcoming June. It simply has become much too difficult to schedule now that the girls are so busy.

So we're going to go this June, have fun, and sell the contracts when we return. DVC has been so great, and I'll never think twice about spending the money for all the wonderful memories we've had at WDW.

I've also been so fond of the DIS boards. Although I've probably spent too much time "reading" the DIS and not enough time "posting", I sure appreciate those who have the knowledge, the time, and the willingness to be such valuable participants.

Thanks to you all! :)

Greg

We are brand new to DVC and I can only hope we enjoy our membership as much as you seem to have enjoyed yours.

Sounds like it is a hard decision for you but as you said you can't put a price on the memories you made over those years.

Good luck to you!

My DD 12 and DD 9 are now both so busy with school, sports, and activities that it has become too hard for us to find time to get to WDW. We have been going to WDW the last 10+ years for on average of two weeks per trip twice per year (total of 4 weeks per year). With annual passes, it worked GREAT, although I personally felt like I should have been allowed to vote in Florida elections... :)

But this is our last trip for awhile this upcoming June. It simply has become much too difficult to schedule now that the girls are so busy.

So we're going to go this June, have fun, and sell the contracts when we return. DVC has been so great, and I'll never think twice about spending the money for all the wonderful memories we've had at WDW.

I've also been so fond of the DIS boards. Although I've probably spent too much time "reading" the DIS and not enough time "posting", I sure appreciate those who have the knowledge, the time, and the willingness to be such valuable participants.

Greg

Count yourself fortunate for being able to spend the time and have the memories with your children. They certainly will never forget.
Chris

Greg,
Are you sure you can go cold turkey like that? :)

I dread when that day comes for us. We have been making big time use of annual passes and have a long trip coming up this June also.

I'd say this is time to put your foot down and tell your daughters that family fun comes first and cheerleading, softball, basketball, guitar practice, whatever will just have to take a back burner at least twice a year.

We have a 13 yr old and we manage at least twice a year - early June (right after school is out) and Thanksgiving.

Don't give it up quite so quickly. See what you can work out first. (Unless you need the funds to buy those athletic shoes and cheerleading uniforms. )

By the way, we're checking into BCV two weeks from today.:yay: :yay:

I'd say this is time to put your foot down and tell your daughters that family fun comes first and cheerleading, softball, basketball, guitar practice, whatever will just have to take a back burner at least twice a year.

We have a 13 yr old and we manage at least twice a year - early June (right after school is out) and Thanksgiving.

Don't give it up quite so quickly. See what you can work out first. (Unless you need the funds to buy those athletic shoes and cheerleading uniforms. )

This is my view also. I think its great that your family has enjoyed the membership so much, I know mine has. Pretty soon they will be gone off to college and then try planning a vacation. I will insist that we do some type of family vacation until the boys move out:rotfl:

I'd never be able to do it. Downsize maybe but dump the whole thing, no way. I'd have to rent out for a couple of years before I sold just to make sure.

Of course people do have to sell for me to buy resales ;)

Good luck!

Greg

We can't go yearly either, because of time and cost. We have 5 -- ages 7 to 18 with jobs, sports and other activites. But we still use our points. We have been doing HH every year (closer to home) and saving up points for splurging when we do go to WDW. We're doing 2 trips in 2007 to OKW! We've never had to rent points and hopefully never will.

(We also ski so that takes up some time.)

Anyway, I can tell you from experience that it's do-able for us. But not 4 weeks a year.

We'll be there three weeks from tomorrow! Beaches and Cream, here we come! Look out, Cape May (LOVE that seafood buffet!) :)

Worse yet, our waitlist for AKL studio for Dec 30-Jan 5 came through today, too (our January 1 night had to be waitlisted because we called later in the day on Wednesday)! That will hit my wife hard if she wants to go ahead and cancel that!

Sounds like quite a few on this board have experienced the same kinds of conflicts. Any other advice? :)

I LOVE this board!
Greg

Oh, I agree with the poster above, I don't know if I could do it cold turkey. If the sale wasnt for finacial reasons, I would rent out a few times before selling to make sure I really wanted to sell. We make time like the others have said. I have 3 and one plays travel hockey! Even a 1 week break is needed for everyone! Kids get burned out as much as adults! My kids miss their activities and are eager to get back, but love our family vacations too!

If you decide to sell, I know you will always have the wonderful memories you built has a family. If not.....enjoy your next trip home!

It is difficult to make the family time BUT.. my boys are both high school now and with football, xcountry, wrestling, model UN, tech grew, track et al.. It is hard to find family time but DH and I are waiting for the time it will be just the two of us in the off season in a 1 bedroom several times a year.:love:

What I did last year, since both boys were on different schedule of time off, i took one for a long weekend in November and the other for a long weekend in February. This year, I am fortunate that both boys have from after finals/sports camps ( 7/25- 8/5) so we are doing a family vacation, also both have a 4 day weekend after finals in January so i will take them at that time but SIL and I are going to F&W in Oct and I am going to Mousefest in December.. so we will use the points in a different way..

I am happy to report that you have many happy years ahead, and lots of adventures with two teenage girls. There will be struggles, of course, and times you will long for the little girls you once had, but then, one day, magically, they will turn back into people you want to spend a lot of time with and who want to spend a lot of time with YOU again. In the meantime, you and wife can reconnect. Good luck, cherish the memories, make more in high school, and then you can bring GRANDCHILDREN!

We are a new blended family of five with a 20, 16 and 4 year old. This June will be our first DVC trip! My 20 year old just finished her first year of college and will work full-time this summer but will ask off for the week of June 10th.My son is on the HS soccer team but will miss one week of summer workouts.

Even when I was with my children's father, no matter how busy our children were (which seemed nonstop), one week a year was a family vacation. Sure we had to plan and replan sometimes or ask for proposed soccer schedules far in advance, but somehow it always worked out. We tried to choose the least "pre-booked with activities" week to travel. (which was often July 4th)

Unless your girls no longer want to go to Disney or if financially it is necessary, I would suggest not selling yet. Plus, my 20 year old is almost as excited as the 4 yr. old for our trip.

Maybe this is just the "end of the era" of 4 weeks a year. Begin a new era with Disney. I really hope you can work all of this out for your family. I think you can!! :thumbsup2

Ellen

Don't do it! If you don't need the money, then don't do it! You will regret it and then get back in at a higher cost. You still have until 2042 I presume. Kids will grow up and you'll have the empty nest. Quiet time at WDW. What a concept!

That is my advice anyway.

I agree that you shouldn't sell yet. Imagine what you paid per point in '96 and then imagine the sticker shock when you decide you want back in! :scared: Are all your points tied up in one contract? If not, then maybe sell one since you won't take as many trips. You can always rent to pay off the fees. I intend to own my points until 2054 so my DH and I can enjoy lots of solo trips in the future and then we can bring grandchildren! :thumbsup2

Greg

Wow, 9 and 12 and they're too busy for WDW? Mine are teens and we have no intention of stopping our trips. We always find time to take our family vacations. DW and I plan to continue even in a few years after they are gone off to college, etc.

Before you sell your current contracts have you considered buying a small, new contract to keep DVC perks?

Best of luck no matter what you decide,

Lisa

Wow, 9 and 12 and they're too busy for WDW? Mine are teens and we have no intention of stopping our trips. We always find time to take our family vacations. DW and I plan to continue even in a few years after they are gone off to college, etc.

Boy I hear you! Our sons are 16 and we are just heading down for our first trip 'home' next month. DH and I are looking forward to many WDW/DCL vacations with our vacation club. WDW isn't just for kids :hug:

That said, we are squeezing in our vacation during the 4 1/2 weeks DS doesn't have football practice or camp this summer. I have already booked 5 nights in April because our other DS is going to Orlando with the high school band. I don't know where he'll be staying, but mom has a studio at BWV :woohoo: DH can't go but my Dsis will be joining me. See, big kids :hippie:

Looks like mom will have an annual pass too :banana: Our trips to WDW started when our boys were 7 and we aren't intending them to end.

But then there are trips without kids!!!!! Not to take anything away from the entire family together, but WDW can be a great adults only vacation as well!

Best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter