End of an Era (Our Family's DVC Trips)

We have 3 kids, so we definiely understand the craziness of juggling those schedules. BUT...family vacations are a big part of the scheduling process, too! While I understand that 4 weeks per year may not be doable, bu what about two 1-week vacations? A 12 and 9 year old can step out of their lives for one week.

Our policy is that family vacations are a priority over activites unless it is something really major...like they made States, etc..

15 years from now...when they are getting ready to be parents themselves...what are they going to remember? That one baseball game or piano lesson that they didn't miss? Or a special family vacation every year?

Good luck with your decision...but as others have said, don't rush into it. :goodvibes

The period of time that you are in now will pass. Our kids are older (14,16 & 22) and we go 4 or 5 time a year. You may not be able to do the two weeks at a time trip, but I bet a week here or 5 days there.

Dw and I are going to WDW next weekend, 5 days, just the two of us for the Flower and Garden show. October we'll do the Food and Wine Festival. Your kids as they get older will want to do and see other attractions and rides being older at the parks.

I say rent out some points, maybe sell of a smaller contract, but I wouldn't completely dump your DVC membership. Of course, unless you never plan on going back to WDW.

We are look forward to our trips with the kids and the trips without the kids. We are looking forward to eventually taking our kids families to WDW one day in the future.

Sometimes you just need to stop and smell the roses.

Instead of selling why not try to use your points for other destinations that might be more fun for them? or maybe for get-a-way weekends for the two of you?

I am so sorry for the hard choice that you have to make!

But that being said, I think you may be making a decision that could possibly be short sighted.

First of all, I have 5 kids, 15, 13, 12, 9 and 2. They are all soooooo busy, soccer, cheer, baseball, softball, trumpet, oboe, trombone, dance team, school work etc. The busiest for us is the high school travelling cheer squad. In fact, they have rules about missing too many practices. I flat out put my foot down and let them know that family comes first! I give them our travel schedule at the beginning of every year and they need to understand that we try to avoid conflicts, but we come first.

I think that family time is more important at your children's age than ever! Vacation is the time we know the kids will not squabble, and it is a time that makes memories that will never be forgotten. (LIke our girl getting pooped on by a bird when we were eating ice cream at DCA!, we will never forget and it always brings us a smile!)

I do agree with other posters that 4 weeks may not be doable right now, but how about a few long weekends when they have a Friday off of school. (We are doing that in September!) How about a magical trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday when you go to bed at night at a regular hotel and wake up the next morning and Disney magic has changed the entire hotel into a Holiday wonderland! These are the things they will remember forever and that you need to make happen for them.

That being said, if this is a financial issue, then ignore everything I said and SELL! But if not, just reexamine your time frames and remember to take a step back and enjoy them and the very short period of time that you are blessed to have them in your life!

Poohmom :hippie:

I have to agree with all the above posters.....don't do anything in haste!! Even though it appears you've thought about your decision you may regret it a few years down the road when points are selling for about $115. We're also a family of all ages......DH and I (early 50's), DS 26, DD 24, DS 18, and DGS 5. We manage to fit in a family vacation (and believe me, everyone here has a schedule) at least once every 13 to 14 months. Doesn't have to be two weeks......we're usually at about 7 days, and at least some of us for one more trip. As your kids get older, you will find sometimes one can go and someone else can't.......so, the one who can't go this time maybe can make it next time. We're heading to OKW on Sunday for a quick 4 day visit.......this trip it's just DH, myself, and DGS.....PaPa, Grandma and Gavin on our first trip just the 3 of us!! This past January we all managed to go for a week.....with youngest DS starting college in the fall and DD just beginning a new job we're not sure who will be able to go next winter, but, I'm sure everyone will manage to squeeze in a few days at least.

Life does get busy, doesn't it??

I would think along the same lines as the others...

Try scaling back. Try going once a year for a week.

Sounds like you have mulitple contracts. How about selling some of your points to be more in line with your new vacation needs? (maybe keep that new AKL contract). Or rent some points out for a year or two to decide.

Oh, I agree with the poster above, I don't know if I could do it cold turkey. If the sale wasnt for finacial reasons, I would rent out a few times before selling to make sure I really wanted to sell. We make time like the others have said. I have 3 and one plays travel hockey! Even a 1 week break is needed for everyone! Kids get burned out as much as adults! My kids miss their activities and are eager to get back, but love our family vacations too!

If you decide to sell, I know you will always have the wonderful memories you built has a family. If not.....enjoy your next trip home!

Our kids are 13, 11 & 4, and we have one that plays travel hockey too... talk about time commitment!!! But we're planning on trips to WDW every other year at least, hockey, scouts, swimming, ballet & school be darned!

I wouldn't give it up entirely, just yet. It's okay to miss other things for a family vacation once in awhile!

Don't do it Greg. It you are used to going down twice a year for two weeks if is going to kill you to give that up. You are obviously Disney crazed like the rest of us. Unless you need to do this for financial reasons, then don't be hasty. Any reasons I would add would be the same as those posted above - have kids, schedules etc.

I hope for your own future sanity you keep some of your points as I truly believe you will come to regret it.

Terry

I knew it would end someday, but hoped it would be when they buried me... :)

My DD 12 and DD 9 are now both so busy with school, sports, and activities that it has become too hard for us to find time to get to WDW. We have been going to WDW the last 10+ years for on average of two weeks per trip twice per year (total of 4 weeks per year). With annual passes, it worked GREAT, although I personally felt like I should have been allowed to vote in Florida elections... :)

But this is our last trip for awhile this upcoming June. It simply has become much too difficult to schedule now that the girls are so busy.

So we're going to go this June, have fun, and sell the contracts when we return. DVC has been so great, and I'll never think twice about spending the money for all the wonderful memories we've had at WDW.

I've also been so fond of the DIS boards. Although I've probably spent too much time "reading" the DIS and not enough time "posting", I sure appreciate those who have the knowledge, the time, and the willingness to be such valuable participants.

Thanks to you all! :)

Greg
Just a little "grandfatherly type advice" Do not give up your family time for sports etc. 10/20 years from now your children will remember the trips to WDW with Mom and Dad, and share the same with thier children. They will forget and loose touch with most if not all their team mates, win/lose records etc. My adult children often speak of our trips, they remember "dumb" things that happened, not saying team activities are not good, both children were active year round. Scouts B-Ball foot-ball dance soccer you name they did it. We even coached to stay part of thier lives but we got our vacations and family time in there, sometimes it was a challenge. During the years when Mom/Dad were not "cool" we let them bring a friend, turns out these are the old friends we still see. Coincidence? Somehow every year we vacationed this was all pre DVCso WDW was only every couple years. In not to many years they're going to want to start vacationing with you guys again, keep your you points if possible, if you don't need them all rent some out until vacations pick up again, you'll never get them cheaper. Plus DVC makes a great Mom/Dad get-a way if you can get someone to watch the girls or they get to the age that they can be home alone. 35s a good age to start! JMHO

Not that I am a big fan of renting but you could post your points for transfer to another DVC.

You could easily cover your MF plus put some $ in pocket while having the availability of DVC should you ever change your mind.

Also, JMHO so I think it is very important for a family to take at least one week and spend it together regardless if it is WDW or wherever.

Time flies to fast nowadays for families.

We have two teenagers and travel with another family that has two as well. The kids can't wait for their yearly trip and all are involved in sports, music etc etc. Our kids loved the activities when they were younger but the interest does fade and family time is important. Teams can survive without them for a week ! Our kids love the family downtime from all their schedules events. they grow up so fast and have their own lives, try to still carve out family time. Most trips we don't even hit the parks....they love the resorts and the relaxing family time.

We take one (sometime two) trips just DH and myself. WDW is a great place for adults. You can see on these boards that WDW is enjoyed by people is all stages of life. Trips change but you find more to entertain you when your focus changes.

Take some time to make your decision.

I had alot of things going on when I was a kid, (Activities, school, etc.) The only really clear memories I have are each vacation our family took yearly to Disneyland. Your kids will be up and out of the house soon enough. You need one on one vacation time with them. I say keep DVC.

I knew it would end someday, but hoped it would be when they buried me... :)

My DD 12 and DD 9 are now both so busy with school, sports, and activities that it has become too hard for us to find time to get to WDW. We have been going to WDW the last 10+ years for on average of two weeks per trip twice per year (total of 4 weeks per year). With annual passes, it worked GREAT, although I personally felt like I should have been allowed to vote in Florida elections... :)

But this is our last trip for awhile this upcoming June. It simply has become much too difficult to schedule now that the girls are so busy.

So we're going to go this June, have fun, and sell the contracts when we return. DVC has been so great, and I'll never think twice about spending the money for all the wonderful memories we've had at WDW.

I've also been so fond of the DIS boards. Although I've probably spent too much time "reading" the DIS and not enough time "posting", I sure appreciate those who have the knowledge, the time, and the willingness to be such valuable participants.

Thanks to you all! :)

Greg

Hey Greg,
Dump the kids! :laughing: :laughing: (that's a joke folks). We also had a lull in visiting when my sons hit pre teen. Actually now that the are H.S. students we go routinely again, just not for as long. This March Dh and I took our first trip sans the kids. We loved it, :hug: so now we have a new reason to use those points.
You never know, you may be back quicker than you thought.

I wouldn't do that, you will regret it.
I would suggest maybe gifting your points out at Christmas or bdays to other family members. Or maybe donating the excess points to make a wish or simply rent them out until things settle a bit. Your kids won't be there forever and when they have finally moved on you may want to travel. I also suspect highly you will have withdrawl in a year and will want to go back.
Otherwise if your kids have you that busy taxing them around, it is time to cut some of that back. No one's life theirs or yours should be so busy you can't take a weeks vacation.(assuming you can afford it)

Thanks, everyone! The advice is great! :)

We currently have three contracts. Maybe we should just either sell one or two of them or give some points away for a couple of years.

It really isn't a financial issue. It's much more of a reflection of the changing needs of the kids. Maybe an adjustment rather than a wholesale change is what is needed, though... :goodvibes

One of the issues for me is that the longer trips were very cost-effective. Staying 12 days (Sunday to a week from Friday) was just the right amount of time, and it really maximized the annual passes. We've just recently started to fly, and that certainly adds some expense (although the larger inconvenience is that it is costly to make any changes). If we took shorter trips, I'm sure that we would fly (we live in Minnesota). At first glance, it seems more rushed to fly and take a vacation for 5 nights or so. Maybe I'll just HAVE to adjust! :cool2:

One of the issues for me is that the longer trips were very cost-effective. Staying 12 days (Sunday to a week from Friday) was just the right amount of time, and it really maximized the annual passes. We've just recently started to fly, and that certainly adds some expense (although the larger inconvenience is that it is costly to make any changes). If we took shorter trips, I'm sure that we would fly (we live in Minnesota). At first glance, it seems more rushed to fly and take a vacation for 5 nights or so. Maybe I'll just HAVE to adjust! :cool2:

We try to maximize the cost, but we can't always avoid those Fri/Sat stays for a long weekend.

We constantly monitor the Southwest and Spirit Air for specials and last minute deals.

I think once the kids get thru this phase over the next 2 or 3 years, you will find yourself back to Disney. Our 22 year old has already committed himself (on our points) to every trip we have coming up to Disney.

Before you get rid of all (or even some) of your points
you might also consider LARGER accomodations for the shorter stays
or
other Disney destinations
or
adventures by Disney
or
A Disney Cruise
or
II exchange
or
Concierge collection
or
the grand floridian
or
give them to rantnnravin
DVC has provided a myriad of options for using the "excess" points;)

before you go thinking that the kids are "getting to old" for Disney, here's a little story: we first became interested in DVC from a guy i used to work with 22, still living at home, parents had been OKW owners for about 10 years. HE now uses the points- goes w/friends, girlfriend, alone, etc. They guy can't imagine NOT going. Your kds just might surprise you when they ask if they can use the points for a graduation trip, or if they can take one of their friends.

15 years from now...when they are getting ready to be parents themselves...what are they going to remember? That one baseball game or piano lesson that they didn't miss? Or a special family vacation every year?

Or as I explain to DH....what will they complain to their therapists about in 15 years if we don't take at least one family vacation a year? We need to make it worth the future therapist's time. :lmao: .....

I agree with those who advise waiting. I grew up in a Disney family. We went for two weeks every summer starting when I was 7. (I'm the middle of 3 daughters.) We had cheerleading, piano, ballet, softball, motocross (yep :rotfl: ), etc.... But we knew the Disney trip would happen. When we became teens, my mother allowed us to each bring a friend. Those trips were wild for my parents, I'm sure. Six teenaged girls at Disney for a week! (What were they thinking? :confused3 ) But the trip went on. Sometimes we whined and sulked because we didn't want to miss the next meet, the visiting-artist dance class, or whatever boyfriend was so important at the time (yes, it's a teen girl thing), but the trip went on. We always managed to forget those things the minute we saw the "Welcome to Disneyworld" arch across the entry.

Now I have my own children.. For the early parts of their lives, we lived close enough to Disney to go often for 3 to 4 days at a time. After being wiped out by 2 hurricanes, we decided to head to dry land, and finally found it worthwhile to buy DVC. A week from today, we'll be checking into BCV, our first trip home. :yay: It will be our first big summer trip to Disney, and my kids are thrilled! We've bought enough points to alternate a summer trip and a Christmas trip, but I see an add-on in our future. :rolleyes1 We also travel to other destinations...we'll also tour Chicago this summer, and we're considering a ski vacation this winter and Australia next summer. But my DH has rsigned himself to the fact that the annual Disney trip will happen, unless there is a life-threatening family emergency. (If I had to do it all over again, I'd have it written into my vows.) :bride:

Why? Because those are absolutely the moments I remember about growing up. Not how my sisters always borrowed my clothes and ruined my new shoes (well...ok....I do remember that a lot :mad: ) Or what happened on the cheerleader squad, or what happened to those boyfriends I thought were so important, etc. I remember how excited we were to go to River Country (remember that place anyone?), and how my mom would take us and ride the tube ride with us, even though she can't swim. :flower3: And I remember how my older sister convinced me to go on Haunted Mansion the first time, and we rode together in the Doom Buggy, tightly holding hands. I confessed a few years ago that I had closed my eyes the whole time, and she confessed that she had, too! :) And I remember my dad's absolute favorite ride being World of Motion. He passed away when I was 18, and I always think of him when I'm in Frontierland, because he was picked out of the audience in the old Diamond Horseshoe Revue show to dance with the can-can dancers. We just thought that was the funniest thing ever.

Next week, we're also taking my mom down with us. Because we have the room (2BR at BCV) and because being there with her grandchildren and seeing it through their eyes will be like seeing it all again for the first time, and she is thrilled and excited beyond belief. (She called my DD4 long-distance last night to sing It's a Small World to her.:scared1: )

I guess I've written a tome, without meaning to. But thank you for bringing back these memories. I guess what I'm getting at is that sometimes ya gotta make kids do stuff because it's good for them. Like studying math, eating brocolli, getting vaccinations and visiting Disney. :lmao: And my dad taught me that life is short but memories last forever. Although he's been gone almost 20 years, he's still with me at Disney in stories, laughs and memories that I can share with my children (who never knew him) while we eat ice cream and sit on his favorite Magic Kingdom bench. But I couldn't for the life of me remember who my soccer team captain was, and even if I did, my kids wouldn't care.

Good luck with what you decide. Seems like life is more complicated these days, especially family life. And no two family is the same, but I know you will make the right choice for yours. Thank you for making me sit down and think about what's right for mine.

................I guess I've written a tome, without meaning to. But thank you for bringing back these memories. I guess what I'm getting at is that sometimes ya gotta make kids do stuff because it's good for them. Like studying math, eating brocolli, getting vaccinations and visiting Disney. :lmao: And my dad taught me that life is short but memories last forever. Although he's been gone almost 20 years, he's still with me at Disney in stories, laughs and memories that I can share with my children (who never knew him) while we eat ice cream and sit on his favorite Magic Kingdom bench. But I couldn't for the life of me remember who my soccer team captain was, and even if I did, my kids wouldn't care.

Good luck with what you decide. Seems like life is more complicated these days, especially family life. And no two family is the same, but I know you will make the right choice for yours. Thank you for making me sit down and think about what's right for mine.

Excellent Post MojitoMiss. For those of us that lost parents in our teens, it really shaped our lives with our children. I know what I remember growing up and I was fanatical about basketball but the memories of spending time with my father (we never went to WDW, he took us fishing, he fished, we threw rocks in the water:rotfl2: ) are the most important to me and have helped me the most thru life. That's what i want to give my children.

We took a total of 2 family vactions in my youth. My dad owned his own business and couldn't get away. One was to Washington DC and the other to WDW - must have been 1976. I still remember riding Space Mountain with my dad behind me and going on the Carosel of Progress (sing with me 'now is the time, now is the best time...) when my brother and I were out of 'tickets'. Remember those??

MojitoMiss brought back memories for me too. I'm sure the boys will remember each and every trip to WDW (and those fab. cruises) and be telling their DIS friends about it in 25 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter