Fact or fiction

I think the phone call is in place of showing up and knocking unexpectedly. Wasn't a phone call the better of the two?

The room occupied sign doesn't mean they will skip over your room. It means they will knock before attempting to enter. On another thread someone posted a pic of the sign, and it also states something like that right on the sign.

People keep missing the point. Not sure if that is deliberate or not. If someone's vacation is negatively impacted by a needless intrusion (be it a phone call or banging on the door), that is an issue. It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not, or written in some tiny print on a sign somewhere. If every CM started glaring at guests instead of smiling, it would be an issue for some people. It doesn't matter that it would be legal. Totally irrelevant.

So you don't care. That's your prerogative. Other people actually do value their privacy and do care about being intruded upon. Their feelings on the matter are valid. Or do you think my 15yo daughter just needs to get over it? What about my 70yo mother? I think people having their physical boundaries respected is a pretty real, tangible issue. You don't, and that's fine. Not sure why you keep posting in threads where people who DO think it is are trying to have discussions about how this policy affects their vacations.
Conversely, why does it matter to you if I don't care?

Besides, not sure where I told you that you can't care

Conversely, why does it matter to you if I don't care?

Besides, not sure where I told you that you can't care
It doesn't matter to me. I have repeatedly said it's fine not to care. But if you don't care, why keep posting about this issue? You said you don't care. So your posts come off as pretty dismissive and condescending to those who DO care.

People keep missing the point. Not sure if that is deliberate or not. If someone's vacation is negatively impacted by a needless intrusion (be it a phone call or banging on the door), that is an issue. It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not, or written in some tiny print on a sign somewhere. If every CM started glaring at guests instead of smiling, it would be an issue for some people. It doesn't matter that it would be legal. Totally irrelevant.

Nope, I wasn't deliberately missing your point. But at this moment in time we all know what the policy is. If someone hates the policy, or finds that it will ruin their stay, then as of now their option is to stay elsewhere. From everything I have read Disney will not guarantee you a time slot for your room check. It can be early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. If they knock knowing you are in the room they will not go away until you answer the door.

I can't understand still going you (in general) find any of that enough to ruin your vacation. I don't think it is wrong to say, hey, I this policy doesn't work for me at all, and I chose to spend my money elsewhere. But I do find some posters seem to know the daily checks will ruin their vacation, still plan on going, and plan on looking for a fight about it. That is what makes no sense. Why put yourself through that?

I would also add that if you chose to stay elsewhere because of the policy that I hope you are letting Disney know. Push-back from guests is the only thing that has a chance of changing their minds about the room checks.

Nope, I wasn't deliberately missing your point. But at this moment in time we all know what the policy is. If someone hates the policy, or finds that it will ruin their stay, then as of now their option is to stay elsewhere. From everything I have read Disney will not guarantee you a time slot for your room check. It can be early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. If they knock knowing you are in the room they will not go away until you answer the door.

I can't understand still going you (in general) find any of that enough to ruin your vacation. I don't think it is wrong to say, hey, I this policy doesn't work for me at all, and I chose to spend my money elsewhere. But I do find some posters seem to know the daily checks will ruin their vacation, still plan on going, and plan on looking for a fight about it. That is what makes no sense. Why put yourself through that?

I would also add that if you chose to stay elsewhere because of the policy that I hope you are letting Disney know. Push-back from guests is the only thing that has a chance of changing their minds about the room checks.

I absolutely agree that Disney needs to hear what guests think about this policy. That is very important. But it's also ok for guests to share their concerns with each other, vent about experiences, etc. I don't like seeing people trying to control/silence conversation about topics that people care about. It reminds me of when people say those complaining about the country should just "move somewhere else." We can communicate with each other, realize that we are not alone in our opinions, mobilize activities to elicit change, etc. It means something that many other Disney fans share the same feelings about what Disney is doing. If we hated Disney, we would not care that they were making mistakes, right?

Edited to add: Disney requires 6-12 months of advance planning for their vacations, so no, most of us upset about the policy who have upcoming trips do not have the luxury of just last minute canceling a month before the vacation starts. And don't get me started on the DVC owners who now have had their investments substantially altered.

Last edited:
Having an opposing viewpoint is not trying to "control/silence conversation". It's also not "bullying".

Controlling is telling people where they can and can't post. (which I can bet at least 3 people are going to come and tell me to leave this thread!) I'm going... :car:

Having an opposing viewpoint is not trying to "control/silence conversation". It's also not "bullying".

Controlling is telling people where they can and can't post. (which I can bet at least 3 people are going to come and tell me to leave this thread!) I'm going... :car:
I never said anyone can't post. I just don't understand the people who keep posting over and over that they don't care about the policy and everyone who does care is overreacting or lying. I never had morning sickness with my pregnancies. But I wouldn't go hop on a mom thread where women were complaining about morning sickness and start saying how it just wasn't a problem for me, I don't really believe all the reports about morning sickness, and I think people are overreacting. What do you think the response to that would be?

I never said anyone can't post. I just don't understand the people who keep posting over and over that they don't care about the policy and everyone who does care is overreacting or lying. I never had morning sickness with my pregnancies. But I wouldn't go hop on a mom thread where women were complaining about morning sickness and start saying how it just wasn't a problem for me, I don't really believe all the reports about morning sickness, and I think people are overreacting. What do you think the response to that would be?

Probably like the response to my posts after my hysterectomy. Threads discussing what to expect pain wise post-surgery filled with warnings and post after post of horror stories and how awful it was and how long people were out of work. I literally took NOT ONE pain med. I didn't need it. Even in the hospital. My recovery was a total breeze...and I was scared out of my mind about how bad it was going to be based on those long threads. So I posted my experience...and the response to me was "oh wow! Glad to hear it went so well for you" from those who had had the surgery and relief that there was a chance at a painless recovery from those who were yet to have theirs.

In regards to Disney...we haven't been since the new policy. While i don't particularly like it, I understand it is what it is and I have to accept it to stay there. I'm going in assuming it won't impact me at all, or that if it does I'll not let it get me worked up. I've read the horror stories. I don't think their lying. I plan to do as we have always done...which works for us (latch the door when in the room). I totally get that doesn't work for everyone, and I empathize with those who feel they can no longer stay at a Disney resort. Or who are so annoyed with Disney that they stop going there altogether.

Probably like the response to my posts after my hysterectomy. Threads discussing what to expect pain wise post-surgery filled with warnings and post after post of horror stories and how awful it was and how long people were out of work. I literally took NOT ONE pain med. I didn't need it. Even in the hospital. My recovery was a total breeze...and I was scared out of my mind about how bad it was going to be based on those long threads. So I posted my experience...and the response to me was "oh wow! Glad to hear it went so well for you" from those who had had the surgery and relief that there was a chance at a painless recovery from those who were yet to have theirs

Reminds me of when I was due to get my first mammogram. I read all these horror stories about how awful they are. How much they hurt. I put it off 2 years out of fear based solely off those stories. Well finally my doctor talked me in to going. Know what? All those stories where blown way out of proportion to what it was really like. Instead of worrying about what might happen I should have found out for myself. Taking the word of a third party may not be the best. Your case could be different. Others could exaggerate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter