Fact or fiction

pkpope

Earning My Ears
i have been seening a lot of discussion lately on people experiencing staff members at the hotels walking in on them while sleeping or naked since the door hangers have been changed. As someone who stays at a disney hotel around once a month and had never experienced anything like this, I can’t help but wonder if this is sort of an internet myth to stir up the pot. Plus, if you want extra security every hotel has the door latch you can secure. Anyone have any thoughts on this stuff or experienced it themselves?

i have been seening a lot of discussion lately on people experiencing staff members at the hotels walking in on them while sleeping or naked since the door hangers have been changed. As someone who stays at a disney hotel around once a month and had never experienced anything like this, I can’t help but wonder if this is sort of an internet myth to stir up the pot. Plus, if you want extra security every hotel has the door latch you can secure. Anyone have any thoughts on this stuff or experienced it themselves?

There is a thread about actual experiences with room checks (or lack thereof) that you can find HERE.

Not an "internet myth". There's been tons of experiences posted about it on the Resorts board. If you stay at a Disney hotel monthly, you should have seen the new policy in action by now. As for the security latch, many people still use this to prevent staff from walking in but it will not prevent them from knocking and subsequently opening the door. The latch can also be bypassed by staff in dire situations.

Not an "internet myth". There's been tons of experiences posted about it on the Resorts board. If you stay at a Disney hotel monthly, you should have seen the new policy in action by now. As for the security latch, many people still use this to prevent staff from walking in but it will not prevent them from knocking and subsequently opening the door. The latch can also be bypassed by staff in dire situations.

To be clear, the latch will prevent anyone from opening the door more than a few inches. And to this point there have been no reports of them bypassing the latch for typical room checks.

To be clear, the latch will prevent anyone from opening the door more than a few inches. And to this point there have been no reports of them bypassing the latch for typical room checks.

Right. As I said, they won't be able to walk in but the door can still be opened and the person can still see in the room (i.e. make sure you're decent). And I did mention a latch bypass would only be in a dire situation, lest anyone think the latch is the be all end all defense mechanism. But yes, for these run of the mill room checks, I've not heard any reports of that happening.

Many people, such as myself, have also been there several times since the policy started and have not noticed ANY difference from before the policy was started. No one knocked on our door, no one opened the door, no one attempted to bypass the safety latch, no one barged in on me taking a leisurely, relaxing bubble bath, no one walked in while I was naked getting dressed for the day, no one walked in while I was napping. And even if someone were to open the door with the safety latch secured, I don't typically make a point of standing directly to the side of the door buck naked when I am getting dressed so there is zero chance of someone seeing me in all my naked glory from the safety latched crack in the door. Honestly, with the various reports of people being "barged in on" did it not occur to people to secure the safety latch or to shout "Just a minute, we're getting dressed?" I also have not heard of anyone having the safety latch removed in order for someone to get in so how on earth are people ending up being surprised by people in their room?? At a non WDW hotel my husband once forgot to use the safety latch and housekeeping came in while he was in the bathroom. He heard them call out "housekeeping" so he shouted from the bathroom that he was in the bathroom. The housekeeper immediately left without another word.

Many people, such as myself, have also been there several times since the policy started and have not noticed ANY difference from before the policy was started. No one knocked on our door, no one opened the door, no one attempted to bypass the safety latch, no one barged in on me taking a leisurely, relaxing bubble bath, no one walked in while I was naked getting dressed for the day, no one walked in while I was napping. And even if someone were to open the door with the safety latch secured, I don't typically make a point of standing directly to the side of the door buck naked when I am getting dressed so there is zero chance of someone seeing me in all my naked glory from the safety latched crack in the door. Honestly, with the various reports of people being "barged in on" did it not occur to people to secure the safety latch or to shout "Just a minute, we're getting dressed?" I also have not heard of anyone having the safety latch removed in order for someone to get in so how on earth are people ending up being surprised by people in their room?? At a non WDW hotel my husband once forgot to use the safety latch and housekeeping came in while he was in the bathroom. He heard them call out "housekeeping" so he shouted from the bathroom that he was in the bathroom. The housekeeper immediately left without another word.

Thats why i feel so disillusioned with all this controversy! I guess as someone who has grown up in disney world and now works in the legal field, i’ve always assumed hotel owners have some sort of right to enter my room in the name of security, and found it to be common sense to use the latch accordingly. We stayed at CB last month and did not have a problem, and we are staying at AKL this weekend and are not anticipating any issues. Seems like all of this is getting blown a bit out of proportion to me

Many people, such as myself, have also been there several times since the policy started and have not noticed ANY difference from before the policy was started.

What that means is that you’re either getting housekeeping daily or they are coming by for the daily checks when you’re not there. It’s a fluke of when you’re there or it’s bc the checks are being done by housekeeping.

I didn’t have a negative experience at GFV in feb. doesn’t mean others haven’t. But I use my latch always (many don’t think of it). And our “room check” person was nice when we saw her. Still was an intrusion that I don’t normally have, since I generally don’t have housekeeping come in anywhere, and until this last trip haven’t even stayed in one Dvc room long enough for trash&towel day.

Seems like all of this is getting blown a bit out of proportion to me

By what? People here on the dis that are posting their experiences. What proportion is being changed?

I've already posted that yes, I do believe some reports are blown out of proportion. I'll go so far as to say that I do believe some are 100% false reports. Either to say "my story is worse than yours" or for attention or just to trash Disney. People can post anything they want online and I'm not dumb enough to believe 100% of it. And I am pretty naive about a lot of things. Till it comes to things I read online (this started well before the fake news business over the past year too).

I'm not saying I don't believe ANY reports simply that I don't believe ALL of them.

Not a myth...I was staying at SSR and was napping in the master bed while my twin DDs were out in living room on their electronics when maintainence guy walked right in (was Oct 2015). BIL and SIL were in a studio at AKV Jambo and BIL was getting dressed when cleaning lady walked right in (was Oct 2017). Yep, we're more careful to latch that latch when in the room now, and place the sign out.

On another thread you said you stay at the Swan/Dolphin often. These are not Disney hotels. So when you say that you stay at a Disney hotel around once a month, do you mean a hotel that is not the Swan or Dolphin? They are not part of the new room check policy at Disney so that would be why you haven't experienced it.

I've already posted that yes, I do believe some reports are blown out of proportion. I'll go so far as to say that I do believe some are 100% false reports. Either to say "my story is worse than yours" or for attention or just to trash Disney. People can post anything they want online and I'm not dumb enough to believe 100% of it. And I am pretty naive about a lot of things. Till it comes to things I read online (this started well before the fake news business over the past year too).

I'm not saying I don't believe ANY reports simply that I don't believe ALL of them.

I like Angi''s take on this. I'm going to be calm until housekeeping walks in on me unexpectedly while I'm taking a bath. Then I'm gonna ask if they'll "do my back.":earboy2:

I like Angi''s take on this. I'm going to be calm until housekeeping walks in on me unexpectedly while I'm taking a bath. Then I'm gonna ask if they'll "do my back.":earboy2:
LOL... I like it.

Believe you me, Housekeeping would be way more bothered seeing me in all my glory than I'm going to be bothered being seen that way. I just choose to form my worry lines over real, tangible things to worry about. Cause there are more than enough of them out there these days

Not a myth...I was staying at SSR and was napping in the master bed while my twin DDs were out in living room on their electronics when maintainence guy walked right in (was Oct 2015). BIL and SIL were in a studio at AKV Jambo and BIL was getting dressed when cleaning lady walked right in (was Oct 2017). Yep, we're more careful to latch that latch when in the room now, and place the sign out.
That was way before the room checks that are going on now.

I had them call my cell phone twice last trip in March. It was after 11am, and we had the "room occupied" sign out. We never go out before noon (I have a handicapped child, and we like to sleep in on vacation). I found it slightly rude for them to call me.

Not due to that, but other issues, that trip was the worst and I will NEVER stay in a Disney owned resort again.

I had them call my cell phone twice last trip in March. It was after 11am, and we had the "room occupied" sign out. We never go out before noon (I have a handicapped child, and we like to sleep in on vacation). I found it slightly rude for them to call me.

Not due to that, but other issues, that trip was the worst and I will NEVER stay in a Disney owned resort again.

I think the phone call is in place of showing up and knocking unexpectedly. Wasn't a phone call the better of the two?

The room occupied sign doesn't mean they will skip over your room. It means they will knock before attempting to enter. On another thread someone posted a pic of the sign, and it also states something like that right on the sign.

I think the phone call is in place of showing up and knocking unexpectedly. Wasn't a phone call the better of the two?

The room occupied sign doesn't mean they will skip over your room. It means they will knock before attempting to enter. On another thread someone posted a pic of the sign, and it also states something like that right on the sign.

I understand this. My trip was a mess from the start. I had booked two connecting rooms, handicapped accessible. They changed our room type, then put us in the smallest BWV I've ever seen with no storage. Honestly, we all wanted to just go home, but the trip was was it was. I have no idea how they could have taken our TWO rooms and gave us one, half the size. And really no apologies (and yes I spoke with customer "service"). I'm so done after 30 trips with Disney owned resorts.

LOL... I like it.

Believe you me, Housekeeping would be way more bothered seeing me in all my glory than I'm going to be bothered being seen that way. I just choose to form my worry lines over real, tangible things to worry about. Cause there are more than enough of them out there these days

So you don't care. That's your prerogative. Other people actually do value their privacy and do care about being intruded upon. Their feelings on the matter are valid. Or do you think my 15yo daughter just needs to get over it? What about my 70yo mother? I think people having their physical boundaries respected is a pretty real, tangible issue. You don't, and that's fine. Not sure why you keep posting in threads where people who DO think it is are trying to have discussions about how this policy affects their vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter