FAQ: Travelling to/from Orlando (Including PCR/Antigen Test Info for Canadians)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently did Switch Health LAMP tests to come back to Canada. Tested at 5pm in our hotel while we cooled off. Took about 35 minutes in total for the test and official results.
Switch Health is available 24/7. You initiate a call and someone joins your call within ~5minutes.
Add anyone in your party as your dependents so that you can test at the same time. I added my wife as a dependant and we got tested together (nurse said it helps to have both people in the same camera view).
Read the manual before starting the call and all will be smooth.

If we ever travel again while tests are required, we will be using Switch Health again. It saved our time for the parks tremendously. Also, it was like doing a chemistry lab in high school. Really fun!

Thank you for this update. We just received our tests in the mail the other day and we are there in 3 weeks. I’m glad to hear they are 24/7 and not that long of a wait to get through to someone as I’ve heard it can be a long wait. Now just have to figure out timing, lol.

But the antigens are so much cheaper and easier to do while on vacation. My sister lives in Florida and says you can walk into any store and buy them. I think it would make travel so much easier.

I would prefer not tests but would be ok with rapid antigen tests. Just makes it easier to do day trips again.

But the antigens are so much cheaper and easier to do while on vacation. My sister lives in Florida and says you can walk into any store and buy them. I think it would make travel so much easier.

I get that perhaps obtaining a test in some circumstances "may" be easier (we've never had an issue using Walgreens' rapid tests for travel from several States) - but to me the barrier still remains the potential positive result and resulting weeks of isolation in a foreign country.

Date I have heard is March 01 for changes. But this is totally unofficial. We'll see.

We received our outgoing tests today with Switch Health so we now have outbound and inbound tests. But it won't bother me at all if these get waisted

I would prefer not tests but would be ok with rapid antigen tests. Just makes it easier to do day trips again.
I realize I'm now the anti-anything-to-do-with-testing guy, but this is my question (and it's not just theoretical - my sister lives in Windsor, and my brother just across the river in Detroit). You cross the land border for a day trip - shopping, see friends, whatever - and take an antigen test (somehow? not sure how this would work) before you come back. But if it's positive, your "day trip" is now you trapped for 14 days unable to return. So for any quick jaunt over the border means you should plan for that - two weeks of clothing, toiletries, etc and hope to find a hotel as well.
Of course, they can't stop you from coming back - but then there's that little issue of the thousands of dollars in fines you could face. That hasn't changed either.

I realize I'm now the anti-anything-to-do-with-testing guy, but this is my question (and it's not just theoretical - my sister lives in Windsor, and my brother just across the river in Detroit). You cross the land border for a day trip - shopping, see friends, whatever - and take an antigen test (somehow? not sure how this would work) before you come back. But if it's positive, your "day trip" is now you trapped for 14 days unable to return. So for any quick jaunt over the border means you should plan for that - two weeks of clothing, toiletries, etc and hope to find a hotel as well.
Of course, they can't stop you from coming back - but then there's that little issue of the thousands of dollars in fines you could face. That hasn't changed either.
Right now there is a 10 day waiting period to come back to Canada after a positive test. But let’s see what next week’s announcement will bring. Maybe they will update it to be more in line with the provincial guidelines (most provinces are 5 days?) if they do decide to keep the rapid antigen.

Funny thing is that in this scenario you didn't catch the virus on your day trip. You would have had to have been exposed before you even left.

Just had on the news they should announce next week tests will no longer be required for those vaccinated effective the end of the month…….could be random tests. We are driving across the border and flying out of Buffalo so very happy if this is true.

Just had on the news they should announce next week tests will no longer be required for those vaccinated effective the end of the month…….could be random tests. We are driving across the border and flying out of Buffalo so very happy if this is true.
Awesome! Source?

CTV is reporting a “government source” has told them the molecular test requirement will soon go away - to be replaced by an antigen requirement.

This, to me, if true is awful news. I think they can spin this as an improvement and plan to keep it in place indefinitely. But any testing is a massive burden for travel as the risks of getting stuck abroad are so huge.

And frankly, for many - and I understand not all - you might as well stick with the free, easy to book, rapid molecular Walgreens tests. I know we will.

The thing I didn’t understand for those driving across the border is they would have to let us back in the country even if positive. I plan on working from home for the 2 weeks after we return anyways to keep my coworker safe.

CTV is reporting a “government source” has told them the molecular test requirement will soon go away - to be replaced by an antigen requirement.

This, to me, if true is awful news. I think they can spin this as an improvement and plan to keep it in place indefinitely. But any testing is a massive burden for travel as the risks of getting stuck abroad are so huge.

And frankly, for many - and I understand not all - you might as well stick with the free, easy to book, rapid molecular Walgreens tests. I know we will.
The ctv article reads upon arrival which means you wouldn't be stuck out of the country.

rapid antigen on arrival would be slow in airports but i guess that depends if they are being done there or handed out to do at home like the switch tests. Either way, at least you are home to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter