Fastpass return or replacement?

We've been going back at least once a year since 2000, usually twice or more. In that period of time, I have never had a time when there wasn't a reservation on MDE until Covid. I don't have one now and no plans to. I don't know how long it will be or if I ever will again. There's not much that would stop me from booking another trip with these exceptions: A FP system that will allow me some kind of access, whether paid or not, to the FP line and the shows, parades and character meets brought back. Those are the bare minimum requirements. If they don't ever come back, we never return. It's not an easy choice for us, but what exists now is not the place we love.

Our hope now is with DLR. Their Oogie Boogie bash seems to knock the socks off what Disney offers and they're offering dessert parties for parade viewing! They're actually doing things in both parks for Halloween. I haven't heard anything about what they plan to do about MaxPass there, info for DLR is not as easy to get as WDW. But still, from what I can gather, they seem to be offering much more than WDW is. We have a trip planned for October but now unsure due to Covid if we'll actually be able to go. I was hopeful a vaccine for kids would be out by then, but it's not looking too promising.

Bottom line is, we can't accept WDW the way it is now. I'm willing to pay more, but I'm not willing to get less. And I'm as pixie dust blinded as anyone- or at least I was. If they can alienate me......
I’m sure if I had gone recently my opinion would be different. My perspective that my family will enjoy the parks going forward is predicated on the idea that things will change! These are extraordinary times and no, as is, I don’t think I’d be happy with my experience.

There's not much that would stop me from booking another trip with these exceptions: A FP system that will allow me some kind of access, whether paid or not, to the FP line and the shows, parades and character meets brought back. Those are the bare minimum requirements.

this is where we are as well. We’re not at the “never return” stage but we are definitely at the “need more information before I will make a reservation” stage. We cancelled the January trip already. Paid FP pushes us back to Christmas 2022 so we can save more $$to cover the additional cost.

Yeah the only reason we are going back in January is to do runDisney again. After our February trip I was ready to be done until things returned more to normal (or whatever normal will be). We have some friends going with us that have never been before and I hate that they may experience a WDW that is very different than the one we've loved for years.

how many times have you booked another trip while still onsite, or came back thinking, "man i cant wait to go back!"

that was us almost every trip, we either booked another one, or started planning another one.

We came back this time..."im not sure im ready go back to that for awhile"
I'm still doing it. Actually thinking about finally re-purchasing my AP (I'm eligible). I kept thinking I wouldn't go back just because of work PTO, but each trip pulls me back stronger than the last. Already planning my Feb trip and my Sept/Oct one hasn't even happened yet.

I'm still doing it. Actually thinking about finally re-purchasing my AP (I'm eligible). I kept thinking I wouldn't go back just because of work PTO, but each trip pulls me back stronger than the last. Already planning my Feb trip and my Sept/Oct one hasn't even happened yet.
everyone is different.

Based on my experience with Disney IT, I'll still gladly pay my Touring Plan subscription to access Lines. I see a multiverse of posts about Genie going down while someone is in the park trying to navigate themselves around ride closures etc......
Same. It's $15.00 for a year's subscription and they have tons of resources besides just the Lines App. For the price of an airport Dasani water, I'm happy to cover my bases with both apps 🤣🤣

There would have to be a parade first in order for that to happen.

Genie just won't have much to share on what to do right now other than which ride to go on next because there's absolutely nothing else being offered outside of a lite version of FOTLK.

And btw, there's not anything in that suggestion that I didn't already know. I'd just find it irritating. Should be pretty common knowledge that you can get a shorter wait going at rope drop, during a parade or right before the park closes. This is not super secret insider info. Selling me the FP, that's new and equally irritating that I'd have to go through all that just for the ability to pay for a single ride. I'm willing to pay for quick ride access if I have to, just please don't make me do it ride by ride. That's just ridiculous.

that's exactly what i said above too. IF the Genie has those sorts of 'solutions' i would be pretty peeved. if it is done allegorically that would be one thing, but it would appear that our expectations would be to have to pay to get a 'ride right now with short wait times' sort of experience. Like what else could the 'free' genie advice even be if we are being realistic. FOP doesn't really have a short wait time at all throughout the day aside from right at opening and right at closing.

It is also not the system they have in hand. Maybe it would be a trivial change? Maybe not. At minimum, you would need to perform analysis on where all the system would be impacted to make it "day of". You would have to make those code fixes. You would have to evaluate operational impact of everyone doing all their FP reservations day of.

I can definitely see Disney hitting major snags, realize they need 6 more months. Restart Fastpass+ with minimal to no changes.

I find it it less likely that they would take Fastpass+, alter the system, reimplement as a band aid, build a new system, replace an altered Fastpass system. It seems like that would be splitting your development and testing efforts.
I don't think it would be as complicated as you make it sound. "Day of" FP+ has always been available. Disney was known to drop additional FP+ for first tier attractions a couple of times every day and there have always been FP+ availability at some attractions until late in the day. Legacy FP was always "day of". The coding already exists and Remy had indicated that FP+ was playing well with the current platform, unlike LP/LP+.

I'm amazed at the amount of people upset about paid FP. People had no issue paying for Boo Bash for essentially a paid FP.
I feel similarly. On the one hand I get it, it was free and now a charge rubs people the wrong way. But the ability to cut down on line waits is such a premium thing, it’s something I can wrap my head around paying extra for. The cost of a bottle of water, however, is outrageous.

I'm amazed at the amount of people upset about paid FP. People had no issue paying for Boo Bash for essentially a paid FP.

I think the issue is that it penalizes large groups and families disproportionately. (Which seems like it would drive down attendance for Disney, so a lose-lose.) If I was young again and traveling with one or two other people? $10 - $20 to skip line would be the price of an extra snack, it would have been an amazing deal. Multiply that by 4, 5, 6, and then 10, 11, 12 for extended family groups, and it’s a nightmare. Boo Bash you might do every once in awhile - with this there’s a worry that it could be 100s a day if you want to not get something extra, but sustain the same experience you were having before.

I agree. We live on the west coast, so we are going to have our first trip to WDW with the family this October. From what I understand, we now have the perfect storm of higher crowds (due to loosening of restrictions on capacity) and the lack of fast passes. I'm worried about our trip given that I always tried to maximize fast passes. For this "once is a longtime" trip for us, we would probably pay a significant amount for access to fast passes.

I think for some people it's the lack of communication from WDW more than anything, and no concerns about what current guests are experiencing. I know the price of boo bash per person, I have no idea whether a paid version of FP+ will cost me hundreds or thousands of dollars. I feel like they are really out of touch with their customers. In anticipation of paid FP+, I cut my typical 14 night trip down to 5 nights in case I have to budget extra for it (waiting in long lines with kids is not a vacation for me), not to mention I've rescheduled it. If nothing comes to fruition within the next 3 months, I plan to cancel all together.

Last edited:
Anyone think information if coming today? With the Space 220 announcement I wonder if we will get some others positive news with the Genie/Paid Fastpass being the 4PM drop. Thoughts?!

I'm guessing not. I think if the news were coming today they would have just dropped it yesterday.

I feel similarly. On the one hand I get it, it was free and now a charge rubs people the wrong way. But the ability to cut down on line waits is such a premium thing, it’s something I can wrap my head around paying extra for. The cost of a bottle of water, however, is outrageous.
the problem is that it was never free, it was included in your theme park ticket, that you paid for. It's also not just this, i think people are tired of the increased costs, while taking away things.

It's another price increase that doesnt add anything new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter