Fastpass return or replacement?

I think the issue is that it penalizes large groups and families disproportionately. (Which seems like it would drive down attendance for Disney, so a lose-lose.) If I was young again and traveling with one or two other people? $10 - $20 to skip line would be the price of an extra snack, it would have been an amazing deal. Multiply that by 4, 5, 6, and then 10, 11, 12 for extended family groups, and it’s a nightmare. Boo Bash you might do every once in awhile - with this there’s a worry that it could be 100s a day if you want to not get something extra, but sustain the same experience you were having before.
Sounds exactly proportionately to me. If they gave a discount for larger groups, that would be disproportionate. Not sure i follow your logic.

And i know this is hypothetical, but on a 7 day vacation people go to the parks every single day? especially in this hypothetical where you would pay for fast passes every single day?
we have a sat-sat booked and are doing 5 day hoppers. we got mod hotel for a family of 4 with tix for $4800 and could've spent less at Pop or ASMu if we wanted

i'm definitely not excited about paid fastpasses, but from what we are gathering you don't HAVE to pay for every ride, and due to the amount of rides that WDW has vs. DLP, you could add one or two rides a day if that, if it is a priority to you.

If i can GUARANTEE a short wait on FoP and not have to be out of my hotel at 6 am to RD to get it? i'm game. I'll spend the other time of my day going to EE, KS, Dino while everyone is in line for FoP
if it's too expensive i will continue to ropedrop FoP and save that $$

I know we are nitpicking over both your play scenario and what prices are going to be for what rides, but you could theoretically pay to FP one or two rides a day for headliners and reduce the amount of days at parks you would need (for you it would go from maybe 7 days of hoppers down to lets say 5 days) and still accomplish what you need to accomplish for probably a similar price.
Not necessarily true and here's why.................It's very likely you will not be able to ride alot of the rides in regular standby...........I jsut posted this in another post

Its going to be a disaster..........There are 4 components to it.........

1) regular standby lines
2) virtual standby pass (like Paris)
3) Paid Lightening Pass with designated return times (Like FP+ was)
4) Lightening Pass + which is high cost instant access to walk right on with no return time

How it's going to work is if regular standby gets too long, you can enter virtual stand by and get a return time to then go wait in line.........You will only be able to have 1 virtual standby at a time..........So for example, assume you go to HS at 10am and its busy...........Toy Story Mania, SlinkDog, Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoster, MIllenium Flacon all have virtual lines because it's so busy, then you go to enter one on your phone. You enter Tower or Terror and it says come back at 1pm and then wait in 30-60 minute line. The problem is, you cannot get in line for the other rides because they are all virtual standby too so you have to go to Muppets or Star Tours or watch a show until your return time.............

Your other option is to pay for FP...........

Cant you see how HS, Epcot and AK this will be awful b there's not a lot of rides and they will all have virtual standby? So trying to do it like you would have in the past is gone

This is going to be an unmitigated disaster

Sounds exactly proportionately to me. If they gave a discount for larger groups, that would be disproportionate. Not sure i follow your logic.
I'm kind of struggling to respond to this, because i see both sides of it. I understand disney answers to their stock holders, but disneyland was literally built because Walt wanted kids to share something with their parents.

i like McAlister's Deli a lot, i dont mind paying $10-$12 for my lunch to eat there, but i am for dang sure not going to pay $40-$45 to eat dinner with my family there. The multiplier doesnt make sense to me.

That's the same kind of thing here. guess we just have to make choices. They go with a plan like that, it screams families are no longer their target audience, even though there commercials are full of parents and kids. It honestly makes me feel like they dont want my money.

Anyone think information if coming today? With the Space 220 announcement I wonder if we will get some others positive news with the Genie/Paid Fastpass being the 4PM drop. Thoughts?!
If Disney expects the announcement to be met with overwhelming disapproval, it will come later tonight...as in after 5 PM Pacific time.

If Disney thinks that it's going to spark a lot of positive buzz, they will wait until later so they can use it to gloss over another negative change that they announce.

So we all no the chances are a paid fast pass system is only a matter of time

but do you think this was always going to come or do you think if COVID never happened this would never of happened

but do you think this was always going to come or do you think if COVID never happened this would never of happened
Yes, Covid just advanced it.
With it being available in Shanghai for 4 years, Paris for 2 years, most of the competition doing some sort of paid fp service, this was a matter of time.

Yes, Covid just advanced it.
With it being available in Shanghai for 4 years, Paris for 2 years, most of the competition doing some sort of paid fp service, this was a matter of time.

yeah think your right

I wonder though if they planned for it to start when this genie starts from day one

I think COVID provided the perfect opportunity for Disney to make cuts and changes. That's why FP+ never returned after reopening. A paid FP system was always in the pipeline. I don't think it has been accelerated. In fact, I think they would have liked to implement it before now.

To be fair, Genie images have historically shown FP+ integration, as recently as November 2020. Doesn’t mean paid is inevitable yet.

Except that if they were going to bring FP+ back, they would've already done it. They didn't have to wait for Genie. I think the chances FP+ returns as we know it, are 0.

Not necessarily true and here's why.................It's very likely you will not be able to ride alot of the rides in regular standby...........I jsut posted this in another post

Its going to be a disaster..........There are 4 components to it.........

1) regular standby lines
2) virtual standby pass (like Paris)
3) Paid Lightening Pass with designated return times (Like FP+ was)
4) Lightening Pass + which is high cost instant access to walk right on with no return time

How it's going to work is if regular standby gets too long, you can enter virtual stand by and get a return time to then go wait in line.........You will only be able to have 1 virtual standby at a time..........So for example, assume you go to HS at 10am and its busy...........Toy Story Mania, SlinkDog, Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoster, MIllenium Flacon all have virtual lines because it's so busy, then you go to enter one on your phone. You enter Tower or Terror and it says come back at 1pm and then wait in 30-60 minute line. The problem is, you cannot get in line for the other rides because they are all virtual standby too so you have to go to Muppets or Star Tours or watch a show until your return time.............

Your other option is to pay for FP...........

Cant you see how HS, Epcot and AK this will be awful b there's not a lot of rides and they will all have virtual standby? So trying to do it like you would have in the past is gone

This is going to be an unmitigated disaster
Except that this particular theory on possible fastpass options is probably the most ridiculous and least likely to happen in it's entirety. I wouldn't stress about this one.

This may sound negative but IMO it doesn't matter to Disney if things cost more for a magical experience because for those who can afford it, the magical experience still exists for kids and families. And because they are paying more, thus making more profit for Disney, while still capturing the hearts of families with the ability to pay, it's still a win, win for them. In essence, the "Magic" will still be happening for some and not for others.

Ok, disproportionally probably wasn’t the word I was looking for there. It will just suck more for families and groups. If it’s 12-ish it will be the cost of a fancy Mickey cupcake and Starbucks drink for a single person, but $72 for a family of 4 with grandparents.

Any per-person cost will suck more for families and if it’s one that appears multiple times throughout the day every day, that’s a big upswing in per-person cost.

Ok, disproportionally probably wasn’t the word I was looking for there. It will just suck more for families and groups. If it’s 12-ish it will be the cost of a fancy Mickey cupcake and Starbucks drink for a single person, but $72 for a family of 4 with grandparents.

Any per-person cost will suck more for families and if it’s one that appears multiple times throughout the day every day, that’s a big upswing in per-person cost.
I understand what you’re saying, but this is true of everything. If you’re buying Mickey ice cream for the family, a small family may only need to buy three, a large family may need to buy ten. It’s true for flights, tickets, meals, souvenirs, dessert parties, sodas, everything. I do understand the sentiment, but you could use this argument for anything you’re unhappy paying for.

I understand what you’re saying, but this is true of everything. If you’re buying Mickey ice cream for the family, a small family may only need to buy three, a large family may need to buy ten. It’s true for flights, tickets, meals, souvenirs, dessert parties, sodas, everything. I do understand the sentiment, but you could use this argument for anything you’re unhappy paying for.

Yeah — that’s true for life in general. If you’re not prepared to pay for your big family, maybe consider whether to have a big family in the first place?

I'm amazed at the amount of people upset about paid FP. People had no issue paying for Boo Bash for essentially a paid FP.
We don’t do the parties because it’s hard to justify the cost. We didn’t feel the need to do them because we got to the parks early and had FPs. I’m surprised at how many are ok paying for what was once included.

Hotel rooms, Photo Pass, parking and some transportation are not priced per person, but in general I see your point. Again, I retract the word “disproportionate” - but adding multiple medium sized charges just costs way more for families and groups. This is true of any per person cost, but in the past those have largely been limited to tickets and sometimes food (food can be shared though… I was raised with the Lord of the Flies approach where one or two drinks was handed over to a group of siblings and cousins in the Florida heat, and if you wanted a turn you jumped in WWF style and wrestled it away from someone, lol.)

Hotel rooms, Photo Pass, parking and some transportation are not priced per person, but in general I see your point. Again, I retract the word “disproportionate” - but adding multiple medium sized charges just costs way more for families and groups. This is true of any per person cost, but in the past those have largely been limited to tickets and sometimes food (food can be shared though… I was raised with the Lord of the Flies approach where one or two drinks was handed over to a group of siblings and cousins in the Florida heat, and if you wanted a turn you jumped in WWF style and wrestled it away from someone, lol.)
No, I do see what you mean. I just think it’s a line that can be drawn at different points depending on perspective. We’re all going to have different opinions on what is worth spending money on, and what is not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter