Fishing at OKW?

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Does anyone know if you can fish at OKW?? My DD age 9 just got a fishing pole for her birthday and wants to fish! Thanks!

Yes, you can. You can do it on your own, or they have a fishing excursion as well.

Can you just sit at the edge of one of the waterways? Do they care where you fish? Just want to make sure.

We have seen many people just out at the edge of the water way early in the morning. I have often seen people in the area down near the bend in the water way outside buildings 45, 46, 55, and 56. There is an areator there, so the fish must be a bit more active in that spot.

My dh fishes every time we stay at OKW - it's the only place I think you can fish without doing an excursion, but don't quote me on that!

hello,
im 19 and fish everytime we go to okw...if you go back by the south point pool where the golf course is, there is a bridge type thing kind of looks like a damn. we fished off it this year and caught about 5 very large bass, it will be good if you have a younger child with you. it is not a problem if you fish there because my little brother was sitting down their fishing and a guard came over and said to him,"you cant fish here", and my brother replied im sorry i thought you could, and the guard laughed and said "you cant fish here because this is my spot".

The only place I was asked not to fish was at the boat docks at Turtle Crawl. The best fishing is behind buildings 55 or 56. Fishing is also permissible at the BWV only you can not cast and have to rent their Cain poles. I caught bass at all of these locations. Hope your daughter catches some fish on your next trip. Have fun!!
:cool:
Lauretta

Does anyone know if you can still fish on your own at Old Key West? I know you could fish behind buildings 55 or 56. Has this changed? Thanks:coffee:

FYI...we were just there mid-April and were told that there is NO fishing permitted anywhere on OKW property. They said if you want to fish you would need to go to POR or on an excursion. This came from 2 seperate people at the concierge desk. We were told this after DS9 caught a big bass in the waters behind 6425! Ooops!!

I was at POR 2 weeks ago and I was fishing on the bank of the river when security told me I had to stop. They told me to go to the fishing hole or do a excursion. I wish Disney would allow fishing on the river. I would even pay like $15.00 for the day. Thanks for the info. It look like I am headed to Fort Wilderness.

I would just fish until I got caught :). Actually, my husband fishes every time we go. Sometimes they say somthings, but most of the time they don't. When they do, he just leaves. It has never been a problem.

I know it is done all the time, and I suspect the reason the concierge desks tells you not to is because they are afraid someone will get hurt and cause a liability issue for them. There ARE gators in many of the WDW waterways, so that is a concern as well. As I said before, lots of folks fish out between 45-46-55-56, (South Point area), and I've never seen anyone tell them not to.

We just were at VWL and getting ready to leave on a fishing excursion when we saw a man fishing near the marina. I asked our guide if it was allowed. He said No, but that people usually can get away with it until the area gets busy with people. (this was 7am).
Kim

We just were at VWL and getting ready to leave on a fishing excursion when we saw a man fishing near the marina. I asked our guide if it was allowed. He said No, but that people usually can get away with it until the area gets busy with people. (this was 7am).
Kim
Thank you for the reply. I decided to go to Fort Wilderness next year. This way I can fish all day with no problem and I only need to buy my bait.

The only place I was asked not to fish was at the boat docks at Turtle Crawl. The best fishing is behind buildings 55 or 56. Fishing is also permissible at the BWV only you can not cast and have to rent their Cain poles. I caught bass at all of these locations. Hope your daughter catches some fish on your next trip. Have fun!!
:cool:
Lauretta

Oh, can you fish at BWV....this would be great.. We are going to be staying there and I wanted to take my little grandson pole fishing and were not sure if we could make it over to OKW.

Did you have luck with fish there?

VB

Here is a photo of the bass DS caught in the waters off OKW 6425:

Project22.jpg

Just bumping this up. DH really wants to fish on our next DVC trip. I'm still trying to decide which resort we will stay at.

Has anyone been fishing at OKW lately? Or any other DVC resort for that matter? We were wondering about fishing off shore at VWL as well.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter