Fishing at OKW?

This is another of those "your mileage may vary" things but honestly, if it is kids fishing nobody cares and will want you to have fun. Just be cool about it.

One thing we learned last time at fort wilderness. I always went up there to the rental shack and bought worms because I sort of thought of that as the price of admission I guess. The last time, the lady said something like "you know, you could buy worms for ~$5 (I don't remember exactly), or you can buy hotdogs for ~$5, and have some of the hotdogs left for lunch." It was a decent enough point, and the blue gills seemed to like the hot dog chunks as much as the worms.

My son is 6, and has dipped his line at SSR and CBR and Ft. Wilderness (several times), and the pond behind the bbq grills at kidani. Before we did it at Kidani I talked with the cms there who were hanging out at the bbq pavillion trying not to work. They were all for it. But honestly, I don't think there are any fish in that pond, at least he got skunked that day. He got skunked at SSR, too, we just went to the pond that was outside our room. He has a pretty short attention span, but he really wants to do it. We usually just go over to the fort because then we can make a trip out of it with pony rides and play grounds, etc. And now his little sister has gotten in to it so that is just easier.

Now this is all little kids with little kid poles, someone might be more likely to frown on grown-ups with big rig set ups looking all serious.

Honestly, If I was at VWL I'd just go over to ft. wilderness rather than fishing in the lake, but that's just me and I say that because I know our kids have fun there and I know they'll catch a fish there.

16143_10100125492823194_2354663_59596936_7768961_n.jpg

16143_10100125492788264_2354663_59596929_2567711_n.jpg

16143_10100125492793254_2354663_59596930_4372309_n.jpg

My son loves to fish, and as OKW owners I thought we were set but when we asked where we could fish we were told that fishing was not allowed. Therefore we paid for the excursion once when we had 4 people to go, which they thoroughly enjoyed or now he and his buddy go to Ft. Wilderness and wish. Pesonally I find it easier to follow the rules that way the kids don't feel like they are doing something wrong! At 4yrs old and cute he may have gotten away with it but now at 13 and 6' tall, it's just easier to pay for a bucket of worms at Ft. Wilderness and not worrying about having to move on when caught.

My son loves to fish, and as OKW owners I thought we were set but when we asked where we could fish we were told that fishing was not allowed. Therefore we paid for the excursion once when we had 4 people to go, which they thoroughly enjoyed or now he and his buddy go to Ft. Wilderness and wish. Pesonally I find it easier to follow the rules that way the kids don't feel like they are doing something wrong! At 4yrs old and cute he may have gotten away with it but now at 13 and 6' tall, it's just easier to pay for a bucket of worms at Ft. Wilderness and not worrying about having to move on when caught.

Approximately how much are the fishing excurions and how long do they last? Thanks.

Approximately how much are the fishing excurions and how long do they last? Thanks.

I paid $250, you can have up to 5 people but I think the price has gone up a little bit. You get everything from drinks to tackle etc, 2 hours of fishing. Just bring your hat and if it's summer, book the early one at 7am. It gets really hot and humid by 10am and by 1:30 it must be unbearable. During fall and winter it should be great at any time.

We did it in June and my son (10 at the time) w/ his uncles and best bud had a wonderful time. He alone caught 5 bass. if you get 5 people it comes out to $50 which I didn't think was too bad.

You can reserve up to 3 months in advance.

Ok, sounds like his best bet is just to go to Fort to fish. I guess we will rent a car so he can drive over there to fish when he wants to.

Or if we stay at VWL, he can walk to Fort to fish.

Thanks!

I was told that fishing was allowed in most bodies of water at WDW. All fishing is catch and release. I have only fished at Fort Wilderness and there they want you to stay away from the docks and beaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter