Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

Keep the tips coming. I watched a few videos and they have some good tips. Thanks for helping. Now, I may have a good chance of doing the ride.

Thank you! You make me think maybe it would be fine and worth the chance. And I prob should consider like another poster said, if for some reason I couldn't it's not like I'm gonna see these ppl again, LOL. I just need to remember that it's not about what others think, and to try to not let weight impact / limit things any more than it already does!

If you don't want to try, that is up to you, but I'm 50 lbs heavier than you and I fit without needing much help. I'd be shocked (literally fall on the floor SHOCKED) if you didn't easily fit. Trust me, I am very "hippy" and I still fit.

As others have mentioned earlier in the thread, I think people who are rounder rather than wider may have more issues. Or, if you have super big feet and big calves.

It was the best ride I've ever been on, and I'm so glad I took the chance. Life is too short to miss out on things when you don't have too. But again, it is your choice and you need to do what makes you happy.

Thank you! You make me think maybe it would be fine and worth the chance. And I prob should consider like another poster said, if for some reason I couldn't it's not like I'm gonna see these ppl again, LOL. I just need to remember that it's not about what others think, and to try to not let weight impact / limit things any more than it already does!

I think that this is a common struggle for people who are uncomfortable with their bodies. Its the reason that I haven't been swimming (or owned a bathing suit) in 8 years. But these trips to Disney really are times that you wont ever see those people again, and more than likely they will have forgotten that you ever existed within the hour.

Go, have your fun, and dont let other people seeing you in what you feel is a compromised position deter you from what you deserve-which is the same fun experience as everyone else. Every single person on the ride has something about themselves that they feel embarrassed or lack confidence about, they are no better than you.

And, you are only in a room with 7 other people. In the incredibly slim chance you didn't fit, only 7 people might notice. I say might, because they are busy settling into the ride and are likely not paying attention to you. I understand the fear though, I have it too. But I pushed myself through it and was rewarded with an amazing, unforgettable experience!

I read this thread prior to my trip to Animal Kingdom yesterday. I found it incredibly helpful (even though I was still very nervous about being able to ride). So I just wanted to share my stats and experience.

I am 6'2" and about 315-320lbs. I was able to fit flight of passage easily. I didn't even need to CM to come over and push or help in anyway. I followed the advice of an earlier poster in this thread: when you get to the seat, focus on pushing your feet/legs into the seat rather than focusing on pushing your stomach against the ride. After your feet/legs are against the seat as tightly as possible, focus on sitting up straight and arching your back. Again, I followed these instructions and I fit without a problem. I also fit on Universal's Forbidden Journey this weekend as well in case anyone reading also has plans to go there. I hope all this helps!

My husband, who I was worried about fitting, fit just fine. He's a skinny bean pole yes but he's also 6ft 5 1/2 inches and size 13 shoes. He had no problems fitting. I didn't have any problems either. The way I fit on the seat was actually better because it went underneath my bust rather than what I was slightly concerned about which was smushing me (because I'm only 5ft 3inches).

Now the problem I did truly have was those darn glasses are fairly big and I felt like I had to hold onto them with one hand rather than have both of my hands on the hand restraints which made the ride experience a tad less feeling like I'm on a banshee (as in meaning your hands hold onto the handle bars like you would a bike). Next time (which will likely be years from now) I'll hope they either have two different sizes of glasses or that I'll have figured out a better way to keep them feeling more secure on my face. If it makes any more sense I wear kid-sized glasses (well the larger kid-sized) in my day to day life (when I'm not wearing my contacts) as my face is too small for adult-sized glasses.

Rode again tonight for the fourth time on this trip. This time, I took flip flops and changed into them while "Dr. Stevens" was doing his spiel.

Let me tell you -- flip flops made a huge difference. I could tell as soon as I sat down. My feet were much further up, and I could curl them more.

The CM barely touched the leg restraints, and they locked. That was a vast improvement from the repeated pushing needed the previous times.

If you have large calves like me, take some flip flops. It's worth the hassle of carrying them around.

And, you are only in a room with 7 other people. In the incredibly slim chance you didn't fit, only 7 people might notice. I say might, because they are busy settling into the ride and are likely not paying attention to you. I understand the fear though, I have it too. But I pushed myself through it and was rewarded with an amazing, unforgettable experience!

This! If, under the unfortunate scenario, you are unable to ride the ride, I doubt ANYONE will notice. Everyone else in the room is smushing their bodies up against machine, adjusting their glasses in anticipation, and staring at the pre-ride visuals.

It's not like the CM will yell loudly, "hear ye! hear ye! Let it be known that we have a rider amongst us who does not fit!"

When I went, there was a little girl who either wasn't tall enough (she may have barely been tall enough) or was too frightened to ride it, and she exited the ride before it started. The only reason I noticed was that she wasn't there when it ended and I was curious to see what her reaction was to the ride because she was right behind me in line and seemed very nervous. Point is, the CMs are very discreet.

My trip is now 3 weeks away. Been walking and trying to eat healthier and now a size 22. Been reading the tips & watching videos. Going with 8 year old nephew & have FP+ for us. I hope I can ride it since I am super excited about it but if I don't fit then will have nephew stay & ride it. I will wait for him to finish riding.
I am prepared not to fit FoP since 7DMT hurts me - the seat is small & I will get bruises on the outside of my legs when I ride
I do hope that the new rides that are currently under construction won't have this 'size problem' that FoP has

I think you'll be fine. I rode four times this week and wear a 20 or 22 depending on the brand. The back restraint was never a problem for me. My only issue was my huge calves and the leg restraints, but we made it work.

After living down here for a few months we just made it to Animal Kingdom last Friday! I was nervous about fitting so I tried the test seat. When I went to try it out there wasn't a cast member around so I didn't have the back/leg restraints, but it looked like I'd fit so we got a DAS pass. Hours later when we returned to ride there was a cast member at the test seat and she raised the back/leg restraints and I fit! There were lots of people around the test seat, but no one was paying any attention to me.

Here's my size if that will help anyone.
5'8"
260ish (finally bought a scale :scared:)
calf 18.5"
hips 55"
waist 46"
bust 48"

I wear a size 2x a little snugly and a size 10.5 shoe. I was wearing my Teva closed toe sandals that day.

I will report back when my husband gets a chance to go. He's 6'2", about 280-290 and a size 13 shoe.

Last edited:
My trip is now 3 weeks away. Been walking and trying to eat healthier and now a size 22. Been reading the tips & watching videos. Going with 8 year old nephew & have FP+ for us. I hope I can ride it since I am super excited about it but if I don't fit then will have nephew stay & ride it. I will wait for him to finish riding.
I am prepared not to fit FoP since 7DMT hurts me - the seat is small & I will get bruises on the outside of my legs when I ride
I do hope that the new rides that are currently under construction won't have this 'size problem' that FoP has

I also think you'll be just fine. Try not to worry too much. I am bigger than you and I fit. It was a bit snug, but not painful. I won't even attempt 7DMT.

So my wife is about 5'7 and like 250ish. She wears a 1x -2x in shirts but she says her issue is her stomach area...meaning she wears like an 18-22 pants because of the stomach...the would be big otherwise if that makes sense...think she will be ok?

I'm not a small girl - big boobs, huge muscular calves (extra wide calf boots don't fit me), and I was worried about FOP, but I fit! I pushed my feet as far forward as I could, sat up very straight, and pushed forward against the front, and there was no issue. I was worried until that back piece came up behind me.

So my wife is about 5'7 and like 250ish. She wears a 1x -2x in shirts but she says her issue is her stomach area...meaning she wears like an 18-22 pants because of the stomach...the would be big otherwise if that makes sense...think she will be ok?
I'm a size 18 pants, but very top heavy, and I was fine! Tell her to take a deep breath and sit up straight!

Rode again tonight for the fourth time on this trip. This time, I took flip flops and changed into them while "Dr. Stevens" was doing his spiel.

Let me tell you -- flip flops made a huge difference. I could tell as soon as I sat down. My feet were much further up, and I could curl them more.

The CM barely touched the leg restraints, and they locked. That was a vast improvement from the repeated pushing needed the previous times.

If you have large calves like me, take some flip flops. It's worth the hassle of carrying them around.
Can you explain a little more on why this helped

It helps because the range of motion of your foot is not limited as much as it would be in a closed shoe. You can rise up further on your toes, and get your foot further into the foot rest.

The one consistency between everyone who has talked about being able to fit on FoP is that you need to be able to move around and be flexible to try and find the best fit or the position that will allow you to fit. Anything that limits your motion or forces you into one position may cause you not to be able to fit.

I read this entire thread, and was very apprehensive about fitting on FoP. I’m bigger than the guy in the video that removed his sneakers, and he only just fit. I’m 6’2”, 350 lbs, with 20” calves. I’m pretty much equally big everywhere.

I went to AK today for the first time since Pandora opened. I tried the tester seat first. The CM said I was just on the wrong side of the border, but that the actual ride seats were usually a bit more forgiving. She said there was a good chance I would fit, but not to be upset with her if I didn’t.

I ended up being assigned to seat 1 in my theater. I was very happy about this, as it meant I was all the way on the end, where it would be very difficult for anybody else to see what was going on. My wife was in seat 2.

For some reason I didn’t seem to fit as well as I did in the tester seat. It felt like it took forever for the CM to come out. She did come out and first asked me to put my legs forward, then to sit up straight. She pushed on both the leg and back supports. Neither locked in place. She then asked if she could really push hard. I said yes please!

She pushed on the leg supports and this time they locked in! Then she pushed on the back support, and then pushed even harder. I could barely breathe, but it locked in! I was very grateful to the CM for her willingness to help me fit the ride.

I think if I was any bigger in either area, I wouldn’t have fit. I’m basically the upper limit for the ride.

The ride was amazing. But I don’t think I’ll ride it again until I lose 20-30 pounds.

P.S. I don’t know if it’s because of how hard she had to push the supports to get them to lock in, but when the ride ended my supports stayed locked in place. Everyone exited the ride and walked past me, still stuck in flight position. It was pretty embarrassing to be honest. My wife had to go get a CM to manually release my restraints. I guarantee some of the people that walked past me thought I was too fat and was stuck, and would need Crisco or something like that to get out.

It put a bit of a damper on the experience, but I’m still glad I got to ride it.

I'm not a small girl - big boobs, huge muscular calves (extra wide calf boots don't fit me), and I was worried about FOP, but I fit! I pushed my feet as far forward as I could, sat up very straight, and pushed forward against the front, and there was no issue. I was worried until that back piece came up behind me.

I'm a size 18 pants, but very top heavy, and I was fine! Tell her to take a deep breath and sit up straight!
Thanks so

Thanks for the tips. I will pass them on to her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter