Flight Prices December/January

I'm self employed too. It's expensive for me to take off at this time of year business wise. Costs me thousands in income. But it works for my kids and their schooling and it won't affect my husband's work too badly and I'm mad mad mad for Christmas so I've said to hell with it and we are outta here. Will have to work like a fiend though between August and mid November. Yikes, I feel ill just thinking about it :eek:.

So your experience is that the flight prices don't come down too much at the time of year? When are you planning on booking?

My DW booked all the flights near the end of February. Our experience is they do not come down and we go every year on similar dates. Any flights are subject to change in prices. If it was me I would not be waiting too long.

All accommodation booked as we are DVC at the 11 month window.

It's all just a big gamble. Prices can and do go down closer to the time, as they are wanting to fill up planes, but it isn't guaranteed. Early to Mid January, they are always higher. But up to say the first 10 days in December, they can (not always) get quite low close to the time if they are wanting to fill the planes. With schools in other states (other than QLD, where private schools tend to finish in late November) holidays not starting generally until the end of the first week or into the second week of December, the first week of December is still cheap.

We have had fares, that we bought at the beginning of December for 8th December, going over (BNE-LAX ret with virgin) under $400, coming back (23rd Dec) under $500. Return was under $1000. Jan was just too expensive so we came back before Christmas. We were wanting to go to NY to see my mum off on her cruise, but the airfares in January were just ridiculous. Qantas at the same time that December was only about $100 more than VA.

With the $ being so good and more people travelling to the states, then it's possible they may not get too low. $1299 return to LA, I think is pretty good considering a month ago the same journey was about $2500.

If I had worked out our exact dates and plans :rolleyes1 I would have jumped on that $1299.

Ms.Shuttergirl, you will save going over that early, but not so much coming back, coming back you will be in some of the highest fares of the year :headache: Another week or so away and you would get a bargain back (but then spend more money on accomodation etc so you wouldn't really save anything :rotfl: )

It's all just a big gamble. Prices can and do go down closer to the time, as they are wanting to fill up planes, but it isn't guaranteed. Early to Mid January, they are always higher. But up to say the first 10 days in December, they can (not always) get quite low close to the time if they are wanting to fill the planes. With schools in other states (other than QLD, where private schools tend to finish in late November) holidays not starting generally until the end of the first week or into the second week of December, the first week of December is still cheap.

We have had fares, that we bought at the beginning of December for 8th December, going over (BNE-LAX ret with virgin) under $400, coming back (23rd Dec) under $500. Return was under $1000. Jan was just too expensive so we came back before Christmas. We were wanting to go to NY to see my mum off on her cruise, but the airfares in January were just ridiculous. Qantas at the same time that December was only about $100 more than VA.

With the $ being so good and more people travelling to the states, then it's possible they may not get too low. $1299 return to LA, I think is pretty good considering a month ago the same journey was about $2500.

If I had worked out our exact dates and plans :rolleyes1 I would have jumped on that $1299.

Ms.Shuttergirl, you will save going over that early, but not so much coming back, coming back you will be in some of the highest fares of the year :headache: Another week or so away and you would get a bargain back (but then spend more money on accomodation etc so you wouldn't really save anything :rotfl: )

Yeah I know another week away and the flights would be cheaper. It's a shame but we will have already been away for over 4 weeks and with another trip planned for late March 2013 to the UK/France, I don't think my DH can afford to take another week off. The rest of us could make it work though :rotfl2:. Perhaps we could just send him back :thumbsup2.

I wonder whether it is worth our while to buy LAX return flights and book the internals separately? mainly because if we book it all on the one international ticket we won't have luggage issues and my DH loves to shop :scared:. I don't know which way to go with that. Thanks for running the numbers on the flights for me earlier too. It's looking like we'll be looking at well over 2.5k each for all of our flights in total. I'd really love to keep the travel costs to that but we have to get from Canberra to Sydney or Melbourne too. God I find the flights part stressful. The accom part is fun but not the flights :headache:.

I'm planning (another) trip (in my head most likely) but hoping that by January '13 I'll have enough cash saved to have a fun time over in Orlando. For early-mid January to early Feb, I'm getting flights around $2800 return with Qantas from Sydney and a bit more from Melbourne. Are these prices relatively decent or should I expect it to come down a bit? From memory there were flights for similar dates this year around the $1500 mark and that's another $1000+ spending money right there!

I'm planning (another) trip (in my head most likely) but hoping that by January '13 I'll have enough cash saved to have a fun time over in Orlando. For early-mid January to early Feb, I'm getting flights around $2800 return with Qantas from Sydney and a bit more from Melbourne. Are these prices relatively decent or should I expect it to come down a bit? From memory there were flights for similar dates this year around the $1500 mark and that's another $1000+ spending money right there!

I'm at the same place you are. Looking at the same time frame and hoping that the fares will come down.
The fares should be lower from around the 17th of Jan so fingers are crossed for a fare of around 1500.00.
For now I'll just keep planning and hoping.

I agree with Platypus, last year flights for after the 17th Jan - the prices came down.

Yeah at the moment, the 17th flights are around $1450 for the leg compared to $1850 the week before. Inconvenient because that's when school goes back and I want my sisters to come with me! Ah well, let's just keep waiting for some magic :goodvibes

Oh goodness me. I just got my FC TA to give me a price on our trip and :eek:.

I'm freaking a little. I had gotten my head around that fact that our flights could be around the $2500 mark due to all of the legs of the trip but it her price came back in much higher.

If we want to do it all on the 1 international ticket (for luggage purposes) it was well and truly over 3k, she wouldn't even tell me what it came in at, I think she was :scared1:.

If we do something like Syd-Orlando-NYC there and then Washington-Syd home it comes in around $2200 with the Boston-Quebec-Buffalo-Washington portions coming in around $700ish more. I could shop those internal flights around a bit more myself though, but not really sure how much I would save. This doesn't include the train trip from NYC to Boston which isn't too expensive.

So I am kind of freaking because this brings it in to just under 3k and we won't have international baggage allowances for lots of the internals.

I don't know what to do about the baggage issue because I don't want to have to pay huge excess baggage fees and although I had planned to post a box or two back if need be, the way my DH shops I am a little scared.

$12,000 before we even get started. Yikes :scared1:

Can anyone offer some calming words, words of wisdom, anything????? :)

I'm freaking a little. I had gotten my head around that fact that our flights could be around the $2500 mark due to all of the legs of the trip but it her price came back in much higher.

If we want to do it all on the 1 international ticket (for luggage purposes) it was well and truly over 3k, she wouldn't even tell me what it came in at, I think she was :scared1:.

If we do something like Syd-Orlando-NYC there and then Washington-Syd home it comes in around $2200 with the Boston-Quebec-Buffalo-Washington portions coming in around $700ish more. I could shop those internal flights around a bit more myself though, but not really sure how much I would save. This doesn't include the train trip from NYC to Boston which isn't too expensive.

So I am kind of freaking because this brings it in to just under 3k and we won't have international baggage allowances for lots of the internals.

I don't know what to do about the baggage issue because I don't want to have to pay huge excess baggage fees and although I had planned to post a box or two back if need be, the way my DH shops I am a little scared.

I wonder if it's so much more expensive because there are not any direct flights from those places to each other (just had a look. To find the all of the airlines that fly in and out of a city, I go to the airports page, check their arrival and departures from the city I'm looking at flying from and see who flies in there, doesn't show those that connect through another city though, that's why I can't see for example any flights too and from Boston to Quebec).

I would do the bookings to and from the US as one, then do all of the internal's separately. There may be some airlines that are cheaper on different routes than others and booking separately means you will get the cheapest fares also the most direct routes. If say you are booking with Delta for you return Aus-US and you are wanting one ticket (for the luggage weights etc), they will have to stick with Delta affilliated airlines, which may not be the cheapest options. Jetblue seems to be a great airline. I'm sure I've read somewhere on these boards that United is good too :rotfl:

Yes so by doing them separately, you will get better deals by not being restricted to one airline and their affiliates :thumbsup2

Aussietravellers - with what you've said in mind in terms of direct flights into Quebec, etc. I think I need to have a re-look at my itinerary too which is a bummer because I was happy with it.

Perhaps fly out earlier too.

Hmmmm, let's see:-

Fly out Thurs 6 Dec Syd - Orlando
Arrive Orlando 6 Dec
17 Dec fly to Washington
21 Dec fly (or train) to NYC
30 Dec fly to Quebec
4 Jan fly to Buffalo, 2 nights in Niagara Falls
6 Jan fly to Boston
10 Jan fly home

does that seem a bit more streamlined?

and the luggage situation? internal flights with most of the major US airlines, am I looking at only 1 piece of checked luggage per person?

Miss shutter girl
Do you or any of your party have any airline status with any of the carriers ? If so this may help overcome luggage allowances if you book separately but use an alliance member . Eg: being a Qantas silver,gold, platinum and flying with American on a seperate internal flight booking?

Miss shutter girl
Do you or any of your party have any airline status with any of the carriers ? If so this may help overcome luggage allowances if you book separately but use an alliance member . Eg: being a Qantas silver,gold, platinum and flying with American on a seperate internal flight booking?

Yes my husband is a Gold Qantas Club member. Are you able to explain to me what advantages that could bring with American Airlines???

and the luggage situation? internal flights with most of the major US airlines, am I looking at only 1 piece of checked luggage per person?

You can have more than one piece as far as I know, but I believe most now charge for all checked luggage with each piece more expensive.

The exception that I know of is Jet Blue where you get one free piece per person.
We used them in Dec 2010 Orlando to Syracuse and we were quite happy with them.

It's different with the different airlines. Some include one piece and pay for the second. Some don't even include one, you have to pay per bag.

Aussietravellers - with what you've said in mind in terms of direct flights into Quebec, etc. I think I need to have a re-look at my itinerary too which is a bummer because I was happy with it.

Perhaps fly out earlier too.

Hmmmm, let's see:-

Fly out Thurs 6 Dec Syd - Orlando
Arrive Orlando 6 Dec
17 Dec fly to Washington
21 Dec fly (or train) to NYC
30 Dec fly to Quebec
4 Jan fly to Buffalo, 2 nights in Niagara Falls
6 Jan fly to Boston
10 Jan fly home

does that seem a bit more streamlined?

I haven't travelled to all of those places, so I'm not sure which is the best route, hopefully someone who has travelled in more of those areas can help. I think it's possible that you may have to do a connecting flight somewhere along the way. So it's really just finding which way best suits you guys and the price of the airfares.
Just been having a look. United seem to fly from Newark to Quebec, Delta are cheaper but go through Detroit. But Quebec and Buffalo, you may have to do a connection as I can't seem to see a direct (doesn't mean there isn't one though :rotfl: ). Buffalo to Boston, Jetblue does that route and they are great with prices and also include a checked bag i believe (could be wrong).

I always check the airport arrivals and departures, just to see what airlines they have flying in and out from the different cities, then go to the different airlines website direct to see the best deal they are doing, what their luggage is etc.

Yes my husband is a Gold Qantas Club member. Are you able to explain to me what advantages that could bring with American Airlines???

Sure can as I used it to good advantage for our MCO-JFK rtn flight for the family in sept 11. 2 bags each no worries.. If you book an AA flight make sure you put in your husbands qf gold number and you are all on the one booking. He is for this example a oneworld Saphire member. Then the following rules apply ( this is straight from the AA.com site)

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.

Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member*regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

Have you looked at Southwest you get 2 checked bags for free with them they only have dates till NOV 2nd at the minute but it seems you can get Buffalo to Boston for $90.

You can have more than one piece as far as I know, but I believe most now charge for all checked luggage with each piece more expensive.

The exception that I know of is Jet Blue where you get one free piece per person.
We used them in Dec 2010 Orlando to Syracuse and we were quite happy with them.

:eek: Charging for all checked baggage. Yikes.

Will check out Jet Blue, thanks for that.

It's different with the different airlines. Some include one piece and pay for the second. Some don't even include one, you have to pay per bag.

I haven't travelled to all of those places, so I'm not sure which is the best route, hopefully someone who has travelled in more of those areas can help. I think it's possible that you may have to do a connecting flight somewhere along the way. So it's really just finding which way best suits you guys and the price of the airfares.
Just been having a look. United seem to fly from Newark to Quebec, Delta are cheaper but go through Detroit. But Quebec and Buffalo, you may have to do a connection as I can't seem to see a direct (doesn't mean there isn't one though :rotfl: ). Buffalo to Boston, Jetblue does that route and they are great with prices and also include a checked bag i believe (could be wrong).

I always check the airport arrivals and departures, just to see what airlines they have flying in and out from the different cities, then go to the different airlines website direct to see the best deal they are doing, what their luggage is etc.

That's the second Jet Blue recommendation, will have to keep my eye on them for the other legs.

Sure can as I used it to good advantage for our MCO-JFK rtn flight for the family in sept 11. 2 bags each no worries.. If you book an AA flight make sure you put in your husbands qf gold number and you are all on the one booking. He is for this example a oneworld Saphire member. Then the following rules apply ( this is straight from the AA.com site)

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®. On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier apply.

Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member*regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

Thanks so much for sharing this Melbourne5, that is excellent news. I will make sure that DH's QFF number goes onto everything.

Have you looked at Southwest you get 2 checked bags for free with them they only have dates till NOV 2nd at the minute but it seems you can get Buffalo to Boston for $90.

Will check out Southwest also WAMUMOF4, thank you for that. Sounds very reasonable.

Have just spoken again to the TA, asking her to tweak some things backwards and forwards. The itinerary didn't work very well price wise so it is looking like the original plan was the best option financially.

But then the problem was, she couldn't get flights for us all when we wanted, we juggled the dates but were having problem with connecting flights from Dallas to Orlando and then finding one from Orlando to NYC on that same flight deal. We tried 20 million scenarios. Grrrrrr.

The end result was we will still fly out on the 9th Dec but will leave Orlando on 19th Dec for NYC rather than 20th Dec. Now I know to many this wouldn't seem like a big deal but it means 1 less WDW day which makes me kind of sad :sad2:. We were having 11 days WDW but obviously since we won't be arriving there until very late the first night it was really only 10 full days, then on to NYC for 9 days which was obviously a very generous stay. Now we will essentially only have 9 days in WDW (and have to deal with jetlag) and 10 days in NYC. I would've preferred to give up an NYC day than a Disney day but we just couldn't get a flight out on the 20th or 21st that would work.

I know I shouldn't complain but it just doesn't seem like enough time at WDW now. :)

Sometimes the stress and cost of the time of trying to get the slightly cheaper prices on some wacky airline is just not worth the effort!

You might not like my solution, leave the kids with the grandmother and you will save a heap of money! :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter