Florida Amendment 2

What we need to understand is that the opposition to gay marriage is an emotional one, not logical or even really religious in nature. It is just folks gut reaction and largely because in their minds "Marriage has always been this way" (which it hasn't, marriage has changed dramatically over the years). Gay marriage is a change and it takes folks a while to get used to it - and they do. The polls are showing growing support for civil unions and gay marriage over time. Any of these amendments that pass today, will be repealed in the future. In the future, these amendments will be a real embarrassment for the states that have passed them.

If the anti-gay marriage argument were truly a religious argument - those opposed to gay marriage would look at the Bible as a whole and see that it is quite a large book that discusses many many issues - and that in terms of this large book, the references that can be construed as talking about homosexuality are really very few. If homosexuality were such a big deal it would have been mentioned a lot more, it would have appeared in the ten commandments and one would think that Christ would have broached the subject at least once.

There are many other issues discussed at much greater length in the Bible, and one would think that a person who believes that their religious beliefs should be codified into a state's constitution would focus on these issues first - after all, their holy text is much clearer on many other issues. For example, the bible is pretty damn clear on divorce. It pretty much condemns divorce, one can find passages that would permit divorce in cases of adultery, but that's about the only exception. This is much more clearly stated and emphasized much more, then any supposed anti-homosexual passages. So a person who truly believed that the Bible should be the basis for our state constitutions and truly wanted to protect marriage, would instead be pushing for a constitutional amendment to totally ban divorce, except possibly in cases of adultery. But they aren't doing this - so the whole issue really isn't about religion at all, else why would the ignore so much of the Bible and focus on very few passages.

The issue of marriage is for children is also just a smoke screen. If one carries the argument to the logical conclusion than no childless couple should be allowed to be married - this would mean children first marriage second, which of course is unacceptable to them. Other choices would be to have a fertility test prior to marriage and possibly nullify childless marriages after a certain amount of time. Many people today enter into heterosexual marriage and are either unable or unwilling to have children and those opposed to gay marriage don't seem to have a problem with that. So the issue that the purpose of marriage is to produce children really doesn't seem to be their true issue.

The argument that the "ideal" environment for children is to be raised by a two heterosexual parents also doesn't really hold up. There are a lot of studies that contradict this, but even if one accepts that it is "ideal" (which I do not) it is not the "only" environment in which children can be raised. If one follows the logic of only permitting the "ideal" environment that we must stop all single parent families - if an unwed person gets pregnant, what are we to do? Forced abortion? Of course not. I guess we have to tell them that they must get married or the child will be taken from them at birth. Then where do we find the heterosexual couples to raise these children? Sure there are families that want to adopt, but not enough to take in all the children we take away from unwed mothers. I guess that families may just be forced to take on additional children so that they can have the "ideal" environment. I guess we'd have some type of system where the government mandates that heterosexual families are forced to take on additional children as the need arises. This also raises the question of what do we do when a parent dies. How long exactly do we give the surviving parent to remarry before we take the children away so that they can be raised in an "ideal" environment. If you follow this argument through to its logical conclusion you see how it just doesn't hold up. If they are willing to allow these other less than "ideal" child rearing situations to continue, we see that this really isn't the argument.

It pretty much just boils down to ignorance, fear and an emotional knee-jerk reaction. Over time logic, rational thinking, tolerance etc. will win out. Unfortunately there will be a few more amendments like amendment 2 that will be passed in the mean time.

Virginia did it to us last year. Not only did they make same sex marriages and civil unions unconstitutional, just for good measure, they added a mean spirited extra bit that bans any contractural agreement that attempts to emmulate the legal benefits of marriage. I'm still trying to sort out how the ammendment has affected our wills and joint ownership of the house.

Poor Steve. Adam and Eve get to be God's creations and what is Steve? Did he grow in the pumpkin patch? :sad2: I cry a little for him.

I think that phrase was invented by Adam's PR people. Notice how he gets billing in both segments? Overt propaganda.

I attended a symposium yesterday. Main topic was Forgiveness and how it can positively effect healing. (Controlled studies show that forgiving can decrease your BP which leads to a healthier you).

I was very heartened to see in the panel that discussed forgivenes in case study scenarios, this combination of people representing "religions:"

A Hindu Professor from the Hinud University of America (a man)
A Muslim from the Bilal Muslim Mission of America (one of my dearest friends, a woman!!!!)
A Bhuddist (forgive me if I've spelled that wrong, I always do) a woman
An RC priest (a man)
A Rabbi (a man)
A Universalist Reverend (a woman)
A Christian Reverend representing the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Community!!!! (a man).

I thought that the entire thing was pretty profound.

I felt that if we can have that sort of representation on a public panel and have Christianity (not that RC isn't Christian) represented by someone who is a leader of the LGBT church then we have to have some sort of chance to not pass this amendment.

Don't we? Please?

But then you have idiots like these so-called Christians:

http://www.wbbm780.com/Kansas-Church-To-Picket-Tinley-Park-Victims-Funera/1614652

Friggin idiots (same ones who picket the funerals of gays and soldiers) are picketing the funerals of the women shot at Lane Bryant in Tinley Park, IL. Why would God send His wrath down on Lane Bryant? Because transexuals/transgendered individuals might shop there. Some logic, huh?

As far as I'm concerned, any church that claims to be for human rights had better be against Amendment 2 or else they are bona fide hypocriates.

What gets me is that Florida is home to the gayist city in America. Hasn't any one ever heard of Wilton mannors. It's halirous that at the bar, the beer bottles neon lights glow in a rainbow. This from it's website... Diversity is the strength of Wilton Manors. Children from many different ethnic backgrounds attend Wilton Manors Elementary School; the City’s Police Department employs African-American, Haitian, and Hispanic officers; and the City Commission includes openly gay elected officials.

For once we each have our own health insurance through Disney, but when kids come around I wanted to go part-time and have her carry insurance for every one. So much ticks me off, why does the government feel like they can butt into anything and everyone?

Hey!

Orlando's pretty gay. Has a huge celebration every June, and we have a gay city councilwoman! :cool1:

And don't forget about our governor who is a "confirmed bachelor"!:lmao:

Hey!

Orlando's pretty gay. Has a huge celebration every June, and we have a gay city councilwoman! :cool1:

I came out in Orlando on the college program and it's largely because of the very supportive community there that I have such an attachment to the area. It also just makes me so upset because I love FL to death and yet they threaten to do this crap to gay people. People tried to make a case in WI that if all the gay people went on strike or didn't spend money the local economy would fail, but I think there is a much stronger case in Florida.

All I can hope is that FL sticks to the(bad enough) guns it already has and will eventually make me proud, not ashamed, to live there

Hey! I never thought of Charlie that way! LOL! 'Course, it's not like I think of him much at all. :rolleyes1

I think Orlando is pretty gay, but not in a healthy dignified way. Yes we are here. Yes we support the economy in a huge way. No we don't have the same rights as others. We deal with the "you can be foster parents for the state, but not adopt" idiocy, now this amendment.

Gay friendly? Nope. Not where it matters. :confused3

Hey! I never thought of Charlie that way! LOL! 'Course, it's not like I think of him much at all. :rolleyes1

I think Orlando is pretty gay, but not in a healthy dignified way. Yes we are here. Yes we support the economy in a huge way. No we don't have the same rights as others. We deal with the "you can be foster parents for the state, but not adopt" idiocy, now this amendment.

Gay friendly? Nope. Not where it matters. :confused3

I don't know anything about politics in Oralndo. But, it sounds to me like Orlando is in many ways trying to be gay friendly but stuck in the middle of a state that is anything but. A smaller version of the same sort of thing that happens when states get it right and legalize gay marriage (or civil unions which is at least moving in the right direction--though I did think we had figured out seperate but not equal doesn't work), but the couple who have rights in a state have no federal rights at this point:headache: I sure hope the more civliized areas of your state are able to convince the rest of it that this is an idiotic (this is a G rated place, right?) idea at best.

Orlando might not be as gay friendly as it seems, either. Sure, around Disney things are a lot better, but remember that the oranization the was pushing to get Amendment 2 onto the ballot in the first place is based out of Orlando.

Just sayin . . .

LOL! When I told my husband "Thank goodness Crist isn't supporting that amendment," he looked at me as tho' I was nuts and said, "Well, duh!" The gov just doesn't set my gaydar off, but I should probably trust hubby. When one of his friends at work came out to him, he said, "Yeah, I already figured." His friend was shocked and said, "Who else do you think is gay here?" and hubby's accuracy amazed him.

While parts of Orlando might be gay-friendly, the rest of this state scares the heck out of me. It's not just intolerance of homosexuality....I was shocked by the racial bias too. I grew up in a racially diverse area of Chicago and have been around gay people most of my life, so it was a big culture shock to find out much of the country isn't nearly so open-minded. And now here's Amendment 2 as the icing on the bigot cake.

Orlando might not be as gay friendly as it seems, either. Sure, around Disney things are a lot better, but remember that the oranization the was pushing to get Amendment 2 onto the ballot in the first place is based out of Orlando.
Just sayin . . .
Isn't there also a group somewhere around here that "cures" people of their homosexuality? I just want to choke some sense into people like that!

Isn't there also a group somewhere around here that "cures" people of their homosexuality? I just want to choke some sense into people like that!

I think it's the same group. A friend of mine got wrapped up with them. Did some very serious psychological damage. The poor guy was a wreck for a few years!

One of my very best friends from college is a gay man. In our college days his mom had a very tough time accepting his homosexuality. so she decided he needed to see a psychiatrist.
well my friend went and lo and behold the psychiatrist is a gay man!! needless to say he wasn't "cured" as his mom had hoped.
such idiocy in the world astounds me!

The problem with FL is that there are a few Metro areas that are very gay friendly (Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, MIami) but just as much of the state is hard-core conservative. Just look at Tampa. It used to have a huge draw for tourists, but then it became illegal to advertise for gay events or locations in Tampa businesses, and their tourism took a dive.

The problem with FL is that there are a few Metro areas that are very gay friendly (Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, MIami) but just as much of the state is hard-core conservative. Just look at Tampa. It used to have a huge draw for tourists, but then it became illegal to advertise for gay events or locations in Tampa businesses, and their tourism took a dive.

as it should! Serves them right!

Just another reason to get the NO ON 2 vote out!

Here's a newspaper account of the shocking story of Washington State resident Janice Langbehn, whose partner Lisa Pond died in Florida one year ago:

"... Pond, Langbehn's partner for nearly 18 years, was stricken in Miami with a brain aneurysm and died. Langbehn, a social worker, said officials at the University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital did not recognize her or their jointly adopted children as part of Pond's family... Langbehn said she was informed by a social worker that they were in an 'anti-gay state' and that they needed legal paperwork before Langbehn could see Pond."
The Olympian, of Olympia, Washington, June 17, 2007

Janice didn't get to say goodbye. In Florida her family relationship was refused any recognition even in their hour of direst need.

Retired Florida residents Ed Lessen and Clarice Pollock have been together in a long-term domestic partnership "based on mutual love and respect" for 30 years. "We want to be able to take care of each other and visit each other in the hospital, if it should come to that," says Clarice. "This amendment will take that away."

In November, Floridians will be forced to vote on a ballot measure that would enshrine this kind of discrimination forever in the Florida Constitution and could ban benefits for all unmarried partners.

It's Valentine's Day, the time of year when we focus on love. It's time we stop this madness right here and now in Florida. With your support, we can defeat Florida Amendment #2 on November 4, 2008.

For Janice and her children, for Ed and Clarice and for all the others who need us to stand up and protect their right to care for their loved ones, I am asking you to make a donation of $100 or more to Fairness for All Families.

We can't abdicate this opportunity that's now before us. We must show our strength and get ahead of the opposition's deliberately confusing and deceptive message.

Include discrimination in the Florida Constitution? Never! Together, we'll mount the largest effort ever to defend our freedom to live and love.

Barbara DeVane,
Secretary for the Florida Alliance for Retired Americans,
Co-Chair Fairness for All Families

The biggest problem with this issue is that a lot of people confuse the legal and religious portions of marriages or unions or whatever you want to call it. They think it's all one thing, when it isn't. In the U.S., there is a legal part to it, the part where you go down to the courthouse and register, and then the religious part, the ceremony in the church. These two should be considered separate things. ANY two people over the age of 18 should be able to go down to the courthouse and register for legal rights as a union or "civil marriage" or whatever term we want to use. And then, as the other part, every church individually should have the right to choose to whom they want to grant a religious marriage ceremony. Or not to grant a religious ceremony, that is their choice as our freedom of religion.

I believe this would make both sides happy, if just everyone would become informed. Some organization needs to come out with a big program that stresses this. Eventually the courts will hopefully rule that the civil registration is a basic human right. And we don't have to call the legal part a "marriage" if it will make some people happier. But it should be equal for everyone on the legal side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter