Florida Amendment 2

The biggest problem with this issue is that a lot of people confuse the legal and religious portions of marriages or unions or whatever you want to call it. They think it's all one thing, when it isn't. In the U.S., there is a legal part to it, the part where you go down to the courthouse and register, and then the religious part, the ceremony in the church. These two should be considered separate things. ANY two people over the age of 18 should be able to go down to the courthouse and register for legal rights as a union or "civil marriage" or whatever term we want to use. And then, as the other part, every church individually should have the right to choose to whom they want to grant a religious marriage ceremony. Or not to grant a religious ceremony, that is their choice as our freedom of religion.

I believe this would make both sides happy, if just everyone would become informed. Some organization needs to come out with a big program that stresses this. Eventually the courts will hopefully rule that the civil registration is a basic human right. And we don't have to call the legal part a "marriage" if it will make some people happier. But it should be equal for everyone on the legal side.

that's my EXACT philosophy! Finally someone else who realizes this! You are dead on, but it takes not only the bigots, but the gay community to realize this before anything will come of it.

Yep, I agree. Let them have the term marriage.

We can call our legal bond a UOTLP. (Union of Two Loving People).

For those of you who don't live in Central Florida, you probably dont have any idea who Jim Philips is. He has his own radio show here in town, and is probably the most popular talk show host in the area. Here is his take, as provided by his commentary on WESH Channel 2. (I tried to link a video, but couldn't for some reason.) The folks on the "Philips Phile" have always been very gay friendly!

Thanks Jim!

We have yet another chance in November to prove to the nation that Floridians are imbeciles. Just a few weeks ago the required number of signatures was collected to put the issue of gay marriage on the ballot. This would amend our state's constitution to legally ban same-sex marriages.

This is a non-issue for most Florida voters, that is, except conservatives who need some reason to mobilize and get to the polls in November. The timing couldn't have been better for conservative Republicans, who are freaked out about losing the state's 27 electoral votes to the Democrats. So they create a red herring, a fake issue, a gay boogey-man to drive their people to the voting booth -- and hopefully get them to pull the Republican lever.

I'm sorry. There is no reason to end domestic partner benefits for gays and non-gays. There is also no reason to discourage future business from relocating to Florida, and this constitutional amendment would do just that. Finally, there is no reason to define marriage in our state constitution, because the definition already exists in state law.

The only reason the hard-core, right wing conservatives are stumping for this is to help their numbers at the polls in the fall. It deflects attention from the real issues. If you find gay marriage uncomfortable, here's my suggestion: Mind your own business.

The opinions expressed by Jim Philips are solely his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the ownership or management of WESH.

We have yet another chance in November to prove to the nation that Floridians are imbeciles. Just a few weeks ago the required number of signatures was collected to put the issue of gay marriage on the ballot. This would amend our state's constitution to legally ban same-sex marriages.

This is a non-issue for most Florida voters, that is, except conservatives who need some reason to mobilize and get to the polls in November. The timing couldn't have been better for conservative Republicans, who are freaked out about losing the state's 27 electoral votes to the Democrats. So they create a red herring, a fake issue, a gay boogey-man to drive their people to the voting booth -- and hopefully get them to pull the Republican lever.

I'm sorry. There is no reason to end domestic partner benefits for gays and non-gays. There is also no reason to discourage future business from relocating to Florida, and this constitutional amendment would do just that. Finally, there is no reason to define marriage in our state constitution, because the definition already exists in state law.

The only reason the hard-core, right wing conservatives are stumping for this is to help their numbers at the polls in the fall. It deflects attention from the real issues. If you find gay marriage uncomfortable, here's my suggestion: Mind your own business.

The opinions expressed by Jim Philips are solely his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the ownership or management of WESH.

Exactly!!! if only society could learn to mind their own business.

Here is an interesting link:

http://knowthyneighbor.org/florida/

It has a database of everyone who signed the petition to get the amendment on the ballot. I was shocked and appalled to discover that my next door neighbors signed!!! Looks like I have lots of lobbying to do...sigh.

6 on my street alone, and I have a short street!:scared1:

Guess I'd better get busy!

6 on my street alone, and I have a short street!:scared1:

Guess I'd better get busy!

12 on the three block street we live on! :eek:

Interestingly, though. None on our block. I guess we need to start walking the dog through the WHOLE neighboorhood and saying hello to more people.

Start typing in names of "friends" if you really want a shock!

Here is an interesting link:

http://knowthyneighbor.org/florida/

It has a database of everyone who signed the petition to get the amendment on the ballot. I was shocked and appalled to discover that my next door neighbors signed!!! Looks like I have lots of lobbying to do...sigh.

Can we at least hope that some of the people that wanted this to be put to a vote did so in hopes that the voters would do the right thing?

Start typing in names of "friends" if you really want a shock!

Oh, I started doing that as soon as I finished the six street names in our development.

So far the only name that has come up on the list is a co-worker that I really don't like.

I've been trying to come up with an excuse to not invite him to our "Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding" while still inviting the rest of my co-workers. So glad he made it so easy for me. :rolleyes1

Oh, I started doing that as soon as I finished the six street names in our development.

So far the only name that has come up on the list is a co-worker that I really don't like.

I've been trying to come up with an excuse to not invite him to our "Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding" while still inviting the rest of my co-workers. So glad he made it so easy for me. :rolleyes1

So that means you have room for one more huh? Whats for dinner? Where you registered? I love big fat gay greek weddings!:cool1:

OMG!!! I typed in all our relatives in FL........ONE SIGNED IT........MY imbecile BIL ( hubbys brother) signed that petition!!!!!!!!!!! he lives in new port richey, my other bil lives in orlando.
I can't believe he signed that, I could tell you all some stories about him, he is such a hypocrite.
when I first moved to FL with my hubby when he was USCG, ( long time ago) I first met this brother of his on clearwater beach, my FIL ( their dad) told me how this brother had an affair and both his wife and girlfriend were preg at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!
the BIL who signed this petition, he is now married to the one he had the affair with back then, he left the wife. the kids are college age now, this was awhile ago.
but recently my BIL that lives in orlando told me the petition signing imbecile is suspected of having another affair right now!!!!!!!!!!!! He takes off on his Harley til all hours of the night!
oh I could go on and on, his life story is like a soap opera.
he is such a nit wit, i can't wait til i talk to him again.:mad:
oh and he is such a know it all type, he doesn't like to talk much to me cuz I call him on his BS all the time!

I typed in my FL relatives and thankfully didn't find them on the list.

Since they are publicly posted with no privacy policy, we should do a mass mailing. I'm sure HRC could provide some literature.

And look, the people who live in the house I used to live in down in Lake Wales signed it...

I have a relative who's name is on the list, that quite frankly I cant believe signed it. There are two options....

1. The elderly relative was tricked into signing it, not knowing what it really was.

2. His name was just hijacked by this group.

Quite disturbing to say the least. I'm in the process of finding out exactly what happened, but if I smell any type of fraud you may want to keep an eye on the local media, I will be making phone calls!

I have a relative who's name is on the list, that quite frankly I cant believe signed it. There are two options....

1. The elderly relative was tricked into signing it, not knowing what it really was.

2. His name was just hijacked by this group.

Quite disturbing to say the least. I'm in the process of finding out exactly what happened, but if I smell any type of fraud you may want to keep an eye on the local media, I will be making phone calls!

Go get 'em, Mike!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter