? For Insulin Pump Wearers....

mommyx2

Not Far From the Arch
In August my ten year old will be flying with an insulin pump for the first time. Should she just walk through security with the pump on? I heard that if it goes through the scanner it will erase all the settings.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this. :wave2:

Hi there! I'm 24 and I've had an insulin pump for over 4 years now (have had Type I Diabetes for 6 years), and haven't had a problem with my settings walking through the metal detectors. Security workers may point at the insulin pump and ask what it is, just tell them "it's an insulin pump" and they'll usually relax and let you walk on through the metal detector. Although some security guards who still don't know what an insulin pump is, may ask you to take it off... simply tell them it's a medical device, you can't take it off, and hopefully they won't give you any more trouble. Security workers seem to be more familiar with insulin pumps now though.. I haven't had anyone tell me to remove it for over 2 years.

I have heard that the metal detector can wear down the batteries a little faster, I've never noticed this to happen with mine. But always carry extra batteries with you just in case.

I'm sure your daughter will do just fine with airport security. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter