Free Upgrade to Saratoga Springs Resort

Congratulations to the OP! Have a wonderful trip!

A friend is staying at Pop in august, it would be great if she got upgraded to SSR. She has wanted to buy DVC for years, maybe if they stayed there her DH would finally agree!

DrTomorrow said:
Ya know, rinky, if I didn't know it was you, I'd think this was a post from a not-so-dear departed DISer.

Honestly, though, it's a giant non-issue. First - as you know - these upgrades are NOT coming out of owner inventory, but out of Disney's share of the resort. As such, I don't really care what they do with them: overcharge, upgrade, give them away for free, keep Christopher Walken chained up in one, whatever. Many timeshares offer free stays as sales incentives; in this case, Disney/DVC is targeting likely purchasers - WDW Guests - not simply folks bullied off the street. (And yes, I'm sure that AS guests can afford DVC - yeesh).

Second, if it is true that Disney overbooked values, then it makes sense to use SSR as overflow. Not because Daitc - er - blackjack thinks SSR == AS, but because they have the most unused inventory at the moment. And to those who say "Why not a studio instead of 1BR", I say that it is common DIS knowledge that 1BRs are the last to fill up, so what do you think is most available? (And upgrading DVC points stayers [not-a-word alert!] would be a point-tracking record-keeping nightmare).

Finally, it's not like they are advertising "SSR Quality at AS rates", or that this is going to available to all for decades to come; a few lucky AS guests are winning the lottery. And I truly believe that it will be tough to "keep them down in the values once they see DVC".

rinkwide, I hope this doesn't bug you, 'cause then you'd have to worry about how much everyone else paid for their plane tickets & rental car, and if anyone is using BOGO coupons at meals, and if someone is getting more cowbell at a 10% discount...
I don't really have a comment. I just think that any post mentioning Christopher Walken and cowbell bears repeating.

I for one am all for it. Maybe it will help SSR sell out faster and DVC can get going on that AKL or Contemporary DVC :thumbsup2 .

As a DVC member, I do have a problem with Disney upgrading people from the All Stars to a 1 br at SSR for no additional cost, while members get what they reserved with their points, with no upgrades. Upgrading the All Star guests to a studio and upgrading the DVC members to a 1 br or larger would be more logical and fair, imo.
We are going to WDW the beginning of June, for a week. Because we booked at the 5 month mark the only resorts available were OKW or SSR. We decided to try SSR because we have never stayed there and thought it would be something different. I am now starting to get very nervous about that decision.
We do not like OKW because of the location, lack of dining options, etc. and thought SSR would be nicer because of how close it is to Downtown Disney. Now I am beginning to wonder.
We are a family that likes to be close to parks and dining. We like to be in the thick of things. I am starting to worry that we will feel the same about SSR as we do OKW. We are on wait lists for BCV, BWV & VWL, I guess all we can do now is hope that one of them will come through. :confused3
At least we will be at WDW!

Could it be that the only reason Values are being upgraded to DVC resorts is because the Mods are booked? I just wonder if any of the people getting upgraded are the same ones that got $36 rooms @ Allstars using Priceline. How come I never get in on those deals?

cheesekate2005 -- Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, we are DVC owners and our last two stays have been @ POP because our kids (13 & 11) love it there. Our last DVC stay was @ BCV and they thought it was just so-so. :confused3

rinkwide said:
I don't really have a comment. I just think that any post mentioning Christopher Walken and cowbell bears repeating.

After reading some of these posts I have a headache and the only cure is more cowbell. :rotfl2:

Who on earth is Christopher Walken, and why does he need to be tied up?

The lobstershanty - my favourite resort used to be WL. Before DVC, I was WL number one fan. For my December 05 trip, I couldn't get villas at WL, I could only get SSR. I rang and rang to try to switch to any other resort. I even ran up a huge, and I mean mega huge bill from the Disney Cruise Line, calling member services to try to switch, but to no avail.

But, when I arrived at SSR, I absolutely loved it - I think I love it even more than WL. Don't stress about switching - you really have to stay there to appreciate it - it is a fantastic resort.

One last thing - do you all think Disney have overbooked the All Stars, or do you think they are more likely trying to free up the rooms in an attempt to drag in people who were intending to stay offsite, with the free dining program? Maybe they will even offer an additional discount. It would be a huge plus for them to convert return visitors from off-site to onsite visitors.

I see no reason for any DVC member to be upset about this. This is not member inventory being used, it's Disney. And therefore it's thiers to do with as they please.

When you buy into DVC you know that what you book with points is what you get, unless something unforseen happens to change that.

If you want the chance to get upgraded then book with CRO and pay cash and then your chances are as good as anyone else.

Disney overbooked the values during certain time periods. Now they are trying to move some of those with already booked rooms into other rooms in their inventory. They can only move them into what is open and right now that is only SSR and OKW.

Most have been moved into studios which considering some members are renting DVC for close to the same price I see no difference. :confused3 When studios were not available they got one bedrooms.

They have done this before and they will do it again. Its just now with the Internet, everyone knows what they are doing.

As an AP holder, I just got an email with an offer for either Saratoga OR Key West:

Stay & save at Disney Resorts with all the comforts of home:

Convenient kitchen or kitchenette
Disney's renowned personalized service
Delightful pool wonderlands
Enchanting Disney theming

*Rate available most nights 7/05-8/05/06 in a studio room.
$159 per night plus tax, save $110 per night

Inkmahm said:
As an AP holder, I just got an email with an offer for either Saratoga OR Key West

I'm an AP holder and I've never received an email re AP offers. Do do you get that?

Scotch said:
I'm an AP holder and I've never received an email re AP offers. Do do you get that?

The offer is available to anyone with an AP. Did you leave an email address when you purchased your pass.

Sammie said:
I see no reason for any DVC member to be upset about this...
So you think it unreasonable for a member to perceive a devaluation of their investment if CRO books rooms at their resort for $159 or gives away free Value upgrades?

Regardless, it seems Disney might be getting tired of losing revenue to all you point renters out there.

You can access Annual Passholder newsletters on the main Disney reservation site, by going to the Annual passholder section and logging in. It never works though, but you can also access it at themeparks.com I don't have the link but if you go to the Disney World section you should find it.

They've always done late deals on cash rooms at DVC resorts, but I've never known them to do it on such a large scale. I was once offered a two bedroom at OKW for a 50 discount when I was trying to get a discount at the Beach Club.

This kind of promotion is ok as a one off, but if they did it all the time, it would devalue DVC. If I'd known they were going to give this many discounts and freebies in September, I wouldn't have booked for October!

'Splain this to me, Lucy...

I'm having trouble understanding the devaluation thing. We bought our points, we've got 'em for several years, and we're doggone happy with our purchase.

Should I be unhappy because someone else, non-DVC members, are able to experience what I have for a few days at a bargain rate? I'm just pleased for them ... we got a huge cruise upgrate a couple of years ago, and it was a pleasant surprise. If I cruised again, and was booked into the cabin I paid for, then I'd just celebrate along with someone else that got the same wonderful upgrade I'd experienced. It doesn't diminish my experience in the least.

Sometimes you get breaks, sometimes not. I'm glad these folks got breaks.

Devaluation wouldn't occur because of a one off special offer. It would only happen, if those offers became a regular thing. Who would want to buy a resale, if they could get to stay in a villa for value prices?

I can't see it happening though - Disney does a lot to protect the resale price of DVC, because if resales were too cheap, they would never be able to sell new contracts.

I think it's great that people are being upgraded to DVC accommodation. I just hope SSR doesn't sell out too quick with all the extra demand, as I'm hoping for a small add on next year!

rinkwide said:
So you think it unreasonable for a member to perceive a devaluation of their investment if CRO books rooms at their resort for $159 or gives away free Value upgrades?

Regardless, it seems Disney might be getting tired of losing revenue to all you point renters out there.

Yes I do, when Members rent their points for the same amounts or less.

Disney is using their inventory the way they see fit. Members rent for basically the same amount. I see no difference in the affect.

Actually during the time period that Disney is charging 159 plus tax which is $177, members are renting the same accommidations for $130 or less.

At least Disney is within their legal rights to do this, which can't be said for commercial renting.

Sammie said:
I really wanted to stay at the Grand this summer but AP discounts and other discounts available just did not allow it to fit in my budget.

The confusing thing is I read where someone that is being relocated from the the French Quarter got the Grand Fl. for $166.75. While I think Disney went to the extreme on these relocation offers I understand the reason.

However this person was also booked at CBR and they let her change her CBR ressie to the same rate of $166.75. So instead of splitting her stay between POFQ and CBR she is now staying at the Grand the entire trip at the reduced rate.

Not sure that is fair to anyone else at CBR or any other Disney resort that would love the Grand Fl. at the price. That is over $100 less than the AP rate.

I guess I will stop reading the relocation offers as it seems Disney has really gone over the edge on this situation.
Sammie said:
Someone posted on the resorts board about receiving a free upgrade from a 2 bedroom to a Grand Villa in October.

Knowing how hard it is to book them, does this bother anyone other than me? I am sure there is nothing that can be done about it, but as a member it just did not seem fair.

Do they only offer them to paying guests or has any members received free upgrades?
Sammie said:
I see no reason for any DVC member to be upset about this. This is not member inventory being used, it's Disney. And therefore it's thiers to do with as they please...
Interesting, the last couple of years seem to have broadened your perspective.

rinkwide said:
Interesting, the last couple of years seem to have broadened your perspective.

You know not many things irratate me but this is one of them.

People who take one comment out of several and post them and do not include the rest of the discussion.

If you had you would see in both situations I admitted due to personal situations I had a bad day and my comments were a result of that. In both of those old posts due to the wisdom of some kind fellow DISers I realized my initial comments were somewhat off base and I stated that.

Those first 2 posts were 3 years old and yes due to being more active on these forums, learning from some that do share wisdom in their posts, I have learned a lot. Also 3 years ago my parents were members, I was not. That situation has changed.

I really see no benefit to the discussion of this particular situation to have included those old posts except to try and discredit me. I have included the links to the full text of those former posts so others can see what I mean.

Grand Floridian Blues

Free Upgrade to Grand Villa

As to the last quote, your right I should have stated that differently. I see no reason for any DVC member to be upset over Disney doing this and not being upset over commercial renting for the same amount or less. To me the effect is similar as I pointed out in the full post above.

I have definite thoughts on what that does to the value of our property.

Inkmahm said:
As an AP holder, I just got an email with an offer for either Saratoga OR Key West:

Stay & save at Disney Resorts with all the comforts of home:

Convenient kitchen or kitchenette
Disney's renowned personalized service
Delightful pool wonderlands
Enchanting Disney theming

*Rate available most nights 7/05-8/05/06 in a studio room.
$159 per night plus tax, save $110 per night

I am an AP holder. I didn't get the e-mail. Do you know who I contact to get the offer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter