From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate some suggestions for those that live around San Francisco...
DH and I are going there for 6 nights in Sept/Oct. He has to attend a conference the first 2 full days but we will have about 3 full days for ourseleves.

The first couple of days I'll be hanging out at/near the hotel as we won't have a rental car (I'm not paying car rental plus $50+ a night to park :scared1:) We will be near the Moscone Center. Is that a decent area to just get out and walk around and shop?

For our time, we plan on doing a day tour that includes Alcatraz and the Muir Woods but what else would you suggest?? We're not opposed to renting a car for a day (or even two, we'd just do 2 separate reservations so we don't have to pay that outragous parking fee). Or if he's along, we'll get reimbursed taxi fare so any suggestios for the 2 of us together wouldn't necessarily need to be near the Moscone Center.

THANKS!!!

We walked everywhere,we were right on the edge of china town, that was like no other place Ive been to,amazing, we did not go to Alcatraz as we did not have time, but we did go on this, and it really was brilliant, Ive got some brilliant pics if you want see them.

http://www.rocketboat.net/

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! Looks like we're going to have a fantastic time! And Lynn, that looks really fun. There's something very similar to that about an hour from here.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! Looks like we're going to have a fantastic time! And Lynn, that looks really fun. There's something very similar to that about an hour from here.
Wow, so much to do in the City and surrounding areas, where does one begin?? To add to what has already been mentioned, on the Golden Gate side of The City you can also take the Cable Car from Fishermans Wharf. to Lombard St (crooked st). I personally LOVE the exploritorium and the Palace of fine Arts (thats the dome thing they have at DCA). Walking across the Golden Gate is fun as is the Presidio. From over there, you can head to Napa (about an hour drive) or if you like car races, you can see if Sears Point is open (about halfway between Napa and SF), or you can go to Stinson Beach and Muir woods. On the East side of SF, there is Treasure Island (not much to do, but beautiful views). Santa Cruz is also about 1.5 hours away. Personally, for the tourist experience, and since you are already going to Alcatraz, you should take the Cable Car to Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39 in the mornoning, walk around there, get clam chowder on a sourdough bread bowl (I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing like SF sourdough) and go to Alcatraz. Then, whenyou return from Alcatraz, walk over to Ghirardelli chocolate factory and get an ice cream. Then, catch the Cable Car from there and hit Lombard on your way back to the hotel. That will get you quite a bit of the touristy things in one day and then you can do random things on day two. A couple of pieces of advice: read the parking signs carefully-SF has Nazi meter maids! Don't worry about style-dress for comfort! Especially the shoes as the streets can be VERY steep! Dress in layers! My sister an I always joke that you can tell the tourist because they are the ones in shorts with SF sweatshirts (they get cold and are forced to buy the SS to keep warm). HAVE FUN!
P.S. if you decide to go to Napa, let me know...I know people @ some of the wineries so could probably get you in for free=0)
-Melissa

Just remember for Alcatraz and the Disney Museum to buy your tickets ahead of time. We once went to take the Alcatraz tour and the whole day was sold out. Also understand that only a certain amount of people are admitted to the Disney Museum each hour so it's best to have advance tickets.

Sea screamer:thumbsup2,in clearwater, got soaking wet on both, no dolphins in san fran though.wheres yours?

Friday Greetings Everyone!!!:cool1::thumbsup2:cool1:

I pack the suitcases for the family, but I have a standing 'cruise' list on the computer and separate suitcases specific to our cruises (as I travel for work too). Our family does a color-of-the-day packing model i.e., if it is a blue day everyone picks out a outfit (with all their trimmings - belt, undergarments, shoes) with the color blue. The color-of-the-day helps with photos too -- :lmao:no one clashes when the camera flashes:rotfl:!! When I pack for work trips, its either everything black, brown or navy -- I used to carryon for a weeklong+ trip prior to the liquid restrictions.

When DD was younger & smaller, on our WDW & DCL trips she would have a ziploc bag with label inside "blue / tuesday" with shirt, shorts/skirt, undies & socks -- it worked great and I highly recommend this system for those with young ones, when used at home (without label) DD :lovestruc picking her bag in the morning!

See you all on Part 3:banana::banana:

Hi everyone!

Just stopping in for a quick catch up before I get back to work.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ah the benifits of my job. DW are flying up to the bay for a few hours to have diner with her uncle that lives in Alameda.

Just dropping by to introduce myself. I will be joining you in January along with my 28 year old grandson.

This will be my 11th Disney Cruise and we are both very excited about this trip. I have always wanted to do the Panama trip and look forward to meeting new people.

Disney travelers are just the best!:cool1:

Have a wonderful weekend!

Just dropping by to introduce myself. I will be joining you in January along with my 28 year old grandson.

This will be my 11th Disney Cruise and we are both very excited about this trip. I have always wanted to do the Panama trip and look forward to meeting new people.

Welcome. Remember part 3 of this thread is about to go into full force. Same name, just part 3.

Ah the benifits of my job. DW are flying up to the bay for a few hours to have diner with her uncle that lives in Alameda.
What you like you jet setter you?

Welcome to our happy little thread.

Well after that quick dinner with DW uncle we flew back home. I went to see The Sorcerers Apprentce. It was entreating enough. Won't win any awards but fun. Today we are off to DL to celebrate it's birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter