From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
PIF :cool1: I am on the FE, Mickey exchange and I haven't played cribbage since I was little but always willing to relearn and I have a friend who would also like to participate. If we need some tutors I am there :) I love working with the elementary age group the best. :lovestruc I do feel sorry for them though getting to be on a great ship and studying. :)

:banana: Congrats on the PIF - we PIF a few weeks ago... after much discussion with everything going on this year but we are going ahead! My Mom always loved cribbage but I never learned how to play - I would be up for learning!

I know..those poor kids..stuck on a ship for 2 weeks! :lmao:

For those of you worrying about feeling cold...you are all welcome to come spend the holidays with us:eek:. When we board the ship in January...everywhere will feel warm:lmao:

If anyone wants to spend the holidays in Minnesota they're welcome to as well. Complaining about 80 degree weather...I think some of you still believe Disney has a bubble over the Magic Kingdom to change the weather! ;-) just kidding of course.

By the way I looked at the Wonder's progress for the last 12 hours, and it doesn't look like they went to Nassau, anyone have word on what they might be doin? Didn't look like they were at castaway either, but that's harder for me to spot (unless someone knows the lat&long for castaway?)

Oh my goodness it was a cold winter in Florida. We were there for 6 weeks from early February, and it was cold just about the whole time. Winds straight from Canada(thank you). The best day we had was when we were setting off to come home, honestly. We worked up a sweat for the first time taking the luggage out to the car!!!! Brrrrrrr.

LOL....now...now...from Canada you say....

Would imagine whatever winds came from Canada would get heated by passing through all that hot air in Washington :rotfl2:

Would imagine whatever winds came from Canada would get heated by passing through all that hot air in Washington :rotfl2:

:lmao:

There is no way I could handle a winter in Canada, MN, ND, ect. I can't even hardly handle the few cold days we have here in Houston (and you probably wouldn't even call them cold). Yes, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I don't love the heat and humidity we have here, but it sure is better than the cold.

Nicole, What was the temperature at Castaway like for January?

I was there in January 2009 and January 2010 and it was low 80s both times and sunny. We REALLY lucked out on 1/8/10 when we got there, it was a beautiful day, we literally JUST missed the clip of the cold front that blasted through the next day from the long cold spell in Florida. Hopefully we'll have the same luck this year! BTW also the water was very cold in CC both Januarys and not much better when I went in March another year- but not enough to keep me out- it is about what we have in NJ even in the summer, only much bluer and better looking!

:lmao:

There is no way I could handle a winter in Canada, MN, ND, ect. I can't even hardly handle the few cold days we have here in Houston (and you probably wouldn't even call them cold). Yes, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I don't love the heat and humidity we have here, but it sure is better than the cold.

I couldnt do it either. The weather in NJ is horrid enough. But at least up there they are much better prepared for big winter storms, when we get them here, they shell shock the cities and they do a terrible job plowing/cleaning up, making driving extremely stressful.

If anyone wants to spend the holidays in Minnesota they're welcome to as well. Complaining about 80 degree weather...I think some of you still believe Disney has a bubble over the Magic Kingdom to change the weather! ;-) just kidding of course.

By the way I looked at the Wonder's progress for the last 12 hours, and it doesn't look like they went to Nassau, anyone have word on what they might be doin? Didn't look like they were at castaway either, but that's harder for me to spot (unless someone knows the lat&long for castaway?)

DD #2 favorite questin when she worked in the Magic Kingdom: "What time is the three o'clock parade?" Second favorite question: Can you make it stop raining or at least tell me what time it will stop?

and OMG --- How are you finding out about the Wonder's progress? DD #1 is on that ship as we speak (and for the next 7 months) Please, tell me quick!

See, that's the thing about working at MGM...the three o'clock parade actually changed. So we had some good laughs about that. Especially if someone was talking to us about working there and asking if people actually did ask what time the three o'clock parade was. I'd simply respond "well actually today the MGM parade is at 4, so take that as you will" hehe had some good times. My favorite question though was "are the handprints real!?' By the way the website is www.sailwx.info if anyone ever wants to check out where our ships are. Or any other ship for that matter. The caribbean is startin' to look pretty spread out!

See, that's the thing about working at MGM...the three o'clock parade actually changed. So we had some good laughs about that. Especially if someone was talking to us about working there and asking if people actually did ask what time the three o'clock parade was. I'd simply respond "well actually today the MGM parade is at 4, so take that as you will" hehe had some good times. My favorite question though was "are the handprints real!?' By the way the website is www.sailwx.info if anyone ever wants to check out where our ships are. Or any other ship for that matter. The caribbean is startin' to look pretty spread out!

The question I love getting is, "Do I have time to go to the Bathroom?". I just tell people what time the plane will leave. Honestly, I don't know what that person had to do, and I don't want to know.

This past winter was a fluke (it had better be anyway). There were many a mornings I was so glad I got the heated seats in my car!!![/QUOTE]

What? You live in Florida and have heated seats?? Well, I guess that's what my well padded butt is for. <insert car envy here>

For a couple of winters I did not even have heat in my car. I just made sure to take short trips and drive as fast as a rear wheel drive car can go over snow covered roads.

Here in California of course, we have no weather. Can't say I miss it :rolleyes1

All this talk about the weather does make me think though - packing for this trip might be a bit tricky. During the first and last part of the trip it can be anywhere from pleasant to freezing. But the middle of the trip will likely be warm. I like to travel light, but it might be a bit challenging this time.

Here in California of course, we have no weather. Can't say I miss it :rolleyes1

All this talk about the weather does make me think though - packing for this trip might be a bit tricky. During the first and last part of the trip it can be anywhere from pleasant to freezing. But the middle of the trip will likely be warm. I like to travel light, but it might be a bit challenging this time.

It can be done!

We were just in Europe for 4 weeks
-England (cool)
-Scotland (even cooler, i.e. cold and wet)
-Italy (hot and humid)

We had 2 suitcases (one a rolling duffel, the other a medium flight bag) and 2 backpacks for all four of us for four weeks travel. OK, we were washing frequently, but as we were traveling by train with the luggage, we had to travel light. I was very proud of our small amount of baggage that trip!

-Kay

LOL....now...now...from Canada you say....

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You would think so wouldn't you!!!!!:lmao:

Funny thing was our friends in Canada said they were having mild(well in comparison I guess;)) weather while we were freezing down in Florida. But still the winds came straight down!!!

Good evening all!

I hear you...I'm trying to figure out how to pack for all 5 of us for cold weather (New York), tropical weather (cruise) and for 6 weeks of travelling with enough room to fit all our shopping in!

I'm very excited today as we leave for the United States in exactly 100 days! :banana:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You would think so wouldn't you!!!!!:lmao:

Funny thing was our friends in Canada said they were having mild(well in comparison I guess;)) weather while we were freezing down in Florida. But still the winds came straight down!!!

I remember being in Chicago on Nov 11th, and walking around downtown in a trenchcoat....passing by people in parkas, tuques (stocking hats for those non canuck) and dogs all kitted up in wool Chicago Bears sweaters...

The usual line was, you're from Canada aren't you....

I agree this will be a challenging trip to pack for, as realy January up here can rage from +10c down to -30c....so anything above freezing is rather balmy...this year was very unusual here...no precip at all in March....nothing....usually March has at least a few good storms....

We have a favourite comedian, from Scotland, Danny Bhoy who does a routine on how curling was invented by the Scots and Canadians as a way to throw the garbage (trash) down the driveway without leaving the house, and then if the bag opens up....they created sweeping....

My plan right now is to pack for 80 degree weather (capris and t-shirts) and bring 1 light jacket/sweater and 1 heavy jacket. I'll probably also pack 2 long sleeve shirts and a pair fo jeans. I just bought DD a one piece long sleeve rashguard outfit for the water incase it's a little chilly. Not much need for those in FL but well worth $8 since she loves the water so much.

BTW, we only have 2 seasons in FL - Summer and January. :laughing:

I'm trying to figure out how to pack for all 5 of us for cold weather (New York), tropical weather (cruise) and for 6 weeks of travelling with enough room to fit all our shopping in!

If it were me, I'd pack my oldest stuff and plan on jettisoning it as I bought new. I used to do that on the continent when I'd travel by train - wear it out - throw it out - even shoes - a trip to London could wear holes right through the soles. :rotfl2: Oh, and pack a couple folding duffle bags for the overflow.

I have to start out in winter gear and come home in winter gear, so it will definitely be with me all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter