GFV......worth the extra points or not?! Help, cant decide!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
So we are planning our trip for July and can't decide whether to go for GFV (407pts for a 1 bed lake view) or BLT 301 for same!! I want to try GFV because it's new and shiny...........but from those who have stayed there is it worth the extra points?! We could get almost 2 weeks at OKW for the same points!!

What is the pool situation like with all the new extra guests? And the transport?

Debsxx:flower3:

I have not stayed at blt yet. Try it one & see if it is for you. Depends on your vacation style whether it is worth the points. Perhaps a split stay?

Just arrived home from our first trip staying at the VGF. Had a standard view 1BR and loved it. Had a view of the main building/monorail/pools and fantastic viewing of the fireworks each night. I can't imagine ever booking a lake view after that! We usually like a 2BR at OKW over a 1BR but I wanted to save pts this trip at the VGF and tried the 1BR (we have 3 small children). Space was not an issue at all, the room was very large and the layout made it feel very spacious.

The pools were great but it's hard to compare crowds in December at the pools vs July! The walk to the monorail was fine, and parking was very convenient. I would try to stay at the VGF if you can get availability, it may be much tougher once it is completely sold out! HTH :thumbsup2

The split stay is a great way to try a new place. Just stay at least two nights before changing.

I would say no (just returned from an hour ago.) Full report later but I wouldn't do more than a couple nights at VGF if doing a split stay. They are each 1 stop away from MK and share the same bus lines elsewhere. For what it's worth, as I was getting on elevator as I was going up to my room, heard a couple say, "wish we had stayed at Bay Lake Tower." There were a lot of things to like about VGF but you are sort of disconnected from the rest of the resort (in fact the location services for My Disney Experience places you at the Polynesian) and the service is nowhere near what you would expect for the cost of points and the point level charged.

Worth means different things to different people. If you're not strapped for points, I'd spurge on VGF (I think BLT will be easier to get on a future trip). The finance geek in me would calculate the 100 point difference times $13/point and make me question if it's worth $1K difference though. Me-I'd still try VGF for that difference, especially if you've never stayed at GF. At Xmas time it would be an even easier decision.

FYI - we own at both, have stayed BLT several times, VGF once last weekend, and several times at GF before we joined DVC.

If you're not tight on points then I'd say to give it a try if you like VGF but to go with standard view at VGF instead of the lakeview. But if points are tight then no. I don't know exactly what worth you are looking for but overall it's a DVC room with a different sort of tub, one less full bath compared to BLT and no hot tub at the pool by the Villas. But the spa is right under the monorail by the parking lot. It has some cool new current decorating features but not 100+ points worth if it's a concern and your not absolutely dying to stay at the GF/VGF resort.

Thanks so much for your help as always guys!
We have decided to book a three night stay (avoiding the high Friday and Saturday night points!) in a standard view to test it out! Then moving over to Bay Lake with a Lake View.
StlRod: would love to know more about your experience and why it wasn't all that you hoped it would be.
Debx:crowded:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter