Going to Japen for 12 days, can't decide if 3 days should be spent in HK

brandonbr

Fantasmical!
I'm really on the fence, final step of booking non-refundable airfare and started questioning it. I've never been to either countries, probably won't get back to Japan but maybe one day I'll stop by HK on the way to China, if we ever go there as well (To see the Great Wall as most people want to do).

Our 12 day trip to Japan involves 3-4 days at TDR, 2 in Tokyo, 3 in Hiroshima/Kyoto, and Osaka. That leaves 3-4 days unspoken for on the trip. We could potentially fly from Tokyo at 9am to get in at 2PM in HK, spend the first afternoon/night doing Victoria Peak and then across the bay to Avenue of the Stars, next day in HKDL, then maybe walk some gardens on the third day before a 2PM flight back to Tokyo (arrives at 10PM).

The tough part is it adds over $1300 to the trip (for 2) and about a full day of the 12 days is lost flying. I'm torn on spending that extra day at TDR and seeing other parts of Japan and can't decide if HKDL is worth giving that up. I'd like to visit all Disney parks like many of us do, so this would complete that goal! ...until Shaghai is completed next year, :)

For those of you who've been to HKDL, I'd really hate to ask this, but "is it worth it" to see the park? I know they announced Marvel too and who knows how much that might change or improve the park again and make me want to find a way to get back. :) I could possibly convince my wife to do Tokyo Universal if we give up HK. She did say no to Ocean Park.

Anyway, I hate asking if HKDL and a few tourist sites are worth it because to me, I want to say it is, I'm a huge Disney fan like most of us and this would be cool. I'm just worried I'm setting myself up for disappointment that the time in Japan might be more worthwhile. Maybe someone who's been to HKDL and possibly even Japan might be able to comment.

Thanks guys,

I havent been to Hong Kong hope to next year we spent 2 wks Japan in June and it was so busy i wish we had taken one more week you will love it all Hiroshima my favorite my kids loved Kyoto

Will be in HK in October and have been to Japan 2012 so could comment better after that. We loved Japan and found so much to do in Kyoto and surrounds. Nara was a stand out place for us, as was Fushimi Inari shrine, also the castle at Hikone (as Himeji was under renovation), Arashiyama, and all of "old" Kyoto around the Philosophers Path and Kyomizudera Temple plus the smaller temples of Shoren-in and Kodai-ji rather than the big commercial Golden Temple (although the silver temple - Gingakuji was also good). We were less fussed on the city centre area but away from that was fab. We also found our 2 and a bit days in Tokyo very packed; I could have added another day there. So I would be adding days to your time in Kyoto/Hiroshima if you have spare time and decide to stay in Japan (as well as what else others recommend you visit).

On the other hand researching HK and I am surprised by how much I keep finding I want to do and see and wishing I had longer there (I cut available time down by a stopover in Singapore which we have been to lots before but love the Singapore stop over deal with ton of freebies) in addition to the 2 or 1.5 days I have set aside for Disneyland. Lovers of Disney input plus reading and looking at trip reports have convinced me that there is plenty to see there and it looks very pretty and I can't wait to see Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. Besides which I have done 4 castles so ticking off number 5. So basically no help to you except that rather than short changing both locations perhaps it is worth while sticking to Japan for this visit and combining HK with a future visit to China-as they keep developing the park more and more gets added.

I would stick to Japan. Being a huge Disney fan, you'll eventually want to go to Disneyland Shanghai and Hong Kong should be a cheaper stopover on the way there.

+1 for Arashiyama. It was one of the highlights of our trip, along with Hakone and Miyajima. We did Tokyo (5 nights) - Hakone (1 night in a ryokan) - Miyajima (1 night in a ryokan) - Hiroshima (just one evening) - Kyoto (5 nights, Arashiyama was an easy day trip from here). We went during autumn and the fall leaves were gorgeous.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Thanks for all the comments! It was tough but we've cancelled the Hotel at Hong Kong and will be spending the days in Japan. Kind of sad to be missing HKDL but equally excited to see other places in Japan. I'm sure we'll get back to HKDL, one day. :)

Being in similar shoes as you, I chose to go to HK for the weekend (ie land on Sat and leave Monday) and then spend the next week in Tokyo. However, it did not add more than say $200 for me to do so. At over $700 a person PLUS adding a full day of flying, I'd say stay in Japan and save HK for another trip.

I've never been to either, but I know this first trip will not be my last time at neither place. This was a solo trip to give me a 'taste' of the areas.

I would agree that adding $700/person plus a full day of flying seems like you should do HK another time. I did stop in HK for 1.5 days on my way back from Japan, but it only added ~$50 onto my airfare because I flew on my way back home (so didn't need roundtrip airfare) and the flight home from HK was cheaper than flying back from Tokyo. HK Disney is only 15 mins from the airport, so it was actually doable to do a big chunk of HK Disney they day I flew in (barely any time wasted!).

HK Disney is worth seeing at some point though! You can combine it with Shanghai Disney when it opens :-)

Also, for your Kyoto trip, if you like biking, consider renting a bike to see the temples! It was a great way to get around :-) And this store in Kyoto was recommended to me for having some interesting Mickey themed items, but it was closed when I was there: http://ten-qoo-ann.jp/access/

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter