Good Neighbor hotels to get 60-day FP booking! Update: AND EMH!

Disney does not own these hotels. Disney owns land that a lot of these hotels sit own but they do not own the actual hotels or have involvement in their operations much like the Swan and Dolphin are on Disney property they are not Disney owned and operated.

Has anyone noted that Disney owns these properties as well?

Why do you say this?

Disney owns the land. The hotels are owned in portfolios just like any other hotel (not Disney) but they have long term leases on the Disney land. So Disney has a say so in much of what they do to the property.

When Disney was first built there were no hotels around and they were not providing enough rooms with their own hotels. So they negotiated with brands to come build while renting the land in the Disney Marketplace area. Along that road is the original Disney World Preview Center, the building is still there. The Marketplace side of Disney Springs was the original shopping area.

The same for the Swan & Dolphin. The Four Seasons actually purchased their land from Disney as did the Marriott Flamingo Crossing hotels.

Last edited:
  • Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
  • DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando
  • Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace
  • Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista
  • Holiday Inn Orlando
  • Wyndham Lake Buena Vista
  • Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista

Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed though as I thought there references to others outside of DS area but still close like the Waldorf or Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. I do have points with Hilton though...hhhhmmm.

Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed though as I thought there references to others outside of DS area but still close like the Waldorf or Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. I do have points with Hilton though...hhhhmmm.

The first article put out by the website stated that it was to be "Good Neighbor Hotels". None of these are included in that group. Never say never but I hope it doesn't expand to those hotels. You would be adding another 25+ hotels, some of them big. It will surely impact FP+ availability.

Disney does not own these hotels. Disney owns land that a lot of these hotels sit own but they do not own the actual hotels or have involvement in their operations much like the Swan and Dolphin are on Disney property they are not Disney owned and operated.

The Swolphin is pretty unique though because the hotels worked so closely with WDW in the design and even now with the shared onsite transport.

The Swolphin is pretty unique though because the hotels worked so closely with WDW in the design and even now with the shared onsite transport.
That is true. Disney execs worked hand in hand with them

The Reedy Creek Improvement District in which is run by Disney and is operated as a city where most if not all of these hotels are located (have not looked at their addresses). I think that is where people might think these hotels are Disney owned because they are on Disney property.

The first article put out by the website stated that it was to be "Good Neighbor Hotels". None of these are included in that group. Never say never but I hope it doesn't expand to those hotels. You would be adding another 25+ hotels, some of them big. It will surely impact FP+ availability.

Gotcha. I'm never going to plan a WDW vacation 60 days out but I never have an issue with FPs, even when it's a party of 4...I think my re-fresh abilities are above par somehow. I can see how it would impact folks who plan in advance though.

Disney owns the land. The hotels are owned in portfolios just like any other hotel (not Disney) but they have long term leases on the Disney land. So Disney has a say so in much of what they do to the property.

When Disney was first built there were no hotels around and they were not providing enough rooms with their own hotels. So they negotiated with brands to come build while renting the land in the Disney Marketplace area. Along that road is the original Disney World Preview Center, the building is still there. The Marketplace side of Disney Springs was the original shopping area.

The same for the Swan & Dolphin. The Four Seasons actually purchased their land from Disney as did the Marriott Flamingo Crossing hotels.
Disney even thought they would extend the monorail to the (now) Disney Springs hotels
(Image courtesy of an old Magic Kingdom guide book ... when WDW was just MK)
39118469212_e4ff4f7563_b.jpg

Disney even thought they would extend the monorail to the (now) Disney Springs hotels

Hard to even imagine it.

While I also don’t like the fact that Disney resort guests will be paying a premium for what remains only a few resort-only benefits (many of which we don’t/wouldn’t use), I DO like that a couple of these hotels offer sleeping spaces for larger families (at least up to 6) for a reasonable price. Even better if they would work a deal with the Flamingo Crossing TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites.

That's a cool little bit of history right there.

It's a way to sell Disney packages, tying up your money without building more value or moderate resorts. They can focus on DVC. It's a way to put more bodies in close proximity to Disney Springs which is too big now, often not crowded and restaurants usually have availability. Will it lead to outsourcing hotel management? Maybe, but honestly until people stop booking due to housekeeping etc issues, they'll just keep laughing their way to the bank.
That's the best possible explanation I've heard so far for this. It very well seems like it could be a ploy to drive more traffic to DS.

It's clearly a move to get more traffic into DS. And honestly, DS probably needs it. I'm pretty sure I'll be booking a stay at one of these next year since i always travel with at least 6.

Mouseavers is saying on their website you can book their savings on these DS hotels and get EMH. You do not get the 60 day FP+ unless you book a package through a Disney Travel Agent.

That makes total sense. I imagine the net impact of this to be pretty small in the grand scheme of things. But I like that there are other options for people who want them. While I'm sure Disney is getting theirs for it, it's also something good for the consumer, for once.

These moves make me wonder if WDW is throwing around the idea of having other hotel companies run the WDW resorts in the future. And quite frankly, with their downgraded customer service and housekeeping over the last couple of years, I wouldn't mind such a change.

That would have some benefits. Then, I could earn points at the Disney motels just like I do at the Swolphin, Hotel Blvd, or Off-Site.

They are on Disney property, but not Disney owned/operated. They're as much on-site as the DS Area Resorts to me, just minus the over the top themeing of a Disney owned and operated "resort."

That would have been amazing. I wish they would extend the Epcot run with stops at BCR/YCR, Swolphin/Boardwalk, MGM, and maybe even CBR and AoA/POP.

Does a map of that proposed monorail route exist? What little you can tell from that it looks like it goes towards what is now saratoga, and I would assume west to link up with epcot, maybe going through the space that is now Port Orleans.
Its funny to see how WDW has developed year after year. Especially when there have been long range development plans, that get derailed by a few things and it evolves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter