Good News - Bad News

PamOKW

<font color=green>The two most important items for
Anyone else notice in the newest VM that Boardwalk was rated as having the best Room Service in all of WDW? And then they mention that the hours have been cut to 6:00 a.m.-midnight.

I'm still whining about not getting my VM yet, but this is interesting. What were the previous hours? The hours you have seem pretty good for room service.

So the service should be even better by concentrating their efforts into a shorter timeframe.:) I am sure the company line will be that the service was virtually unused from midnight to 6:00 am.

Another thing that I garnered from the VM was the consistency whine as to why certain things were removed from the OKW rooms. If they are striving for consistency then when are they going to install VCRs in the )OKW studios like they did at HH. Hence the observation, bad news - bad news.

I'm not positive, but most deluxe hotels offer 24-hour room service. My boss always includes that in his "requirements". ;)

BaileyBrad, I'm really not trying to be negative but it sure seems like we are hearing a lot more "changes" (read loss of something, inconvenience) lately from DVC rather than anything that's "new and improved". The basics are still all there and doing well but it wouldn't hurt to throw us a bone or two....say free Disney Club memberships?

PAMOKW what a wonderful idea! I like the way you think. A free Disney Club card, wow, nows that's talking.

Sandy B.

Interestingly enough, in some of the pre-sale literature on VWL, one of the amenities they had listed was 24 hour room service, but that never materialized. I am trying to remember if there was 24 hour room service at the beach club when we stayed there, but I can't remember for the life of me right now. I do remember there being 24 hour room service in the contemporary tower when I stayed there (ordered some chicken soup at 2am when i was very sick and it felt great on my throat) but that was around 3 years ago.

Since BWV and BWI share services, I would be surprised if they were only cutting room service hours at the BW and not the other Epcot area resorts (if not at all of the other deluxe resorts as well). Maybe only the GF is retaining 24 hour room service (since they are also the only ones with a 24 hour snack bar? Am I right on that?)

Lisa

It's very possible they are cutting most or all of the deluxe resorts' room service hours. After all, it would be following the industry trend, just like charging for valet parking. (Many hotels do move to reduced room service to help cut costs.)

I was going all through the cupboards at OKW in May looking for coasters. They had them the year before, now I read that they were taken out. It would make sense to keep them because putting drinks on the tables could leave marks if nothing is down.

PamOKW, I do not think that you are being negative...at all. You are just telling it like it is. Hope my post didn't come across that way. DebbieB, you are making sense about preventive maintenance.....that would make too much sense to continue provide something as "expensive" as coasters. Tables are much cheaper to replace.

Thanks BaileyBrad. I was hopeful you would understand but thought others might think I was negative. I'm with Debbie too....couldn't quite figure out how removing coasters was helpful. I guess they pushed the budget over the edge just like extra towels did. ;)

seems more like being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" to me, something disney has been doing a lot of lately. I bet on the bottom line, getting rid of coasters saved some money, but that savings was never offset with the price to replace furniture that was ruined due to lack of coasters! We just got back from a week in a 1 bedroom at VWL which is practically new and the surface on the coffee table had already been ruined by something on there.

I love it, following the industry standard. Maybe one of these days they will follow a good industry standard and include breakfast with the cost of the rooms or something ;)

Lisa

Just curious are they cutting back room service at OKW too? Did they give the ratings on all the resorts ? OKW and VWL?

Maybe they removed the coasters because too many guests were removing them as "souvenirs". ;)

I suspect that guests were removing them. Certainly an item that's small enough to remove easily. I imagine the cost could really mount up if enough were taken.

Here's a thought- there are coasters available that are meant to be taken away. They are made of a type of pressboard and can be imprinted with the logo of the resort, etc. Not the real cheap paper ones - these are a little higher quality, thicker and heavier, but still very inexpensive when purchased in large quantities.

Just curious are they cutting back room service at OKW too? Did they give the ratings on all the resorts ? OKW and VWL?

It was just a quick blurb mentioning BW was the highest rated (didn't actually give the rating). Maybe there is a way to access J.D. Powers and get a complete report?

OKW never had room service (pizza delivery is available). Not sure about VWL.

Paul in CT is correct. I heard that many of the small items (coasters) were being taken as keepsakes. I guess they got tired of replacing them, or maybe they were concerned that it might impact our monthly fees. I feel that if they made such items available for purchase,it would not happen ( at leeast not as frequent). I did recently ask that more DVC and DVC resort merchandise be made available to the membership.

I think that for all of the DVC members that adding something like a discounted or free DC card would be an incentive to spend more money at WDW. Removing the coasters and placemats was being done most likely due to the fact that these things have legs and keep walking off, they can't glue them down like the mild bottle decorations on the shelf. I have seen in the past few years that they have reduced discounts on things like the use of the AmEX card if you only use it for room charges and pay for your room with your points, adding something would be a positive incentive for WDW to get more money, and I would and have encourged DVC to add not subtract for DVC members.
My two cents worth, now I feel better!
:bounce:

i think there is a natural tendency towards larceny while staying in a hotel; things just seem to gravitate into peoples' luggage. that's why tv's and pictures are usually bolted in place. maybe the coasters would be less irresistable if they didn't have the disney name or logo on them. in fact, based on extensive psycho-demography done before each guest's visit, they might be imprinted with an image or phrase specially designed to be repugnant to that guest and his/her family. while that sounds like a lot of work, with practice i think they'd find that a relatively few phrases or pictures would be suitable for offending a supermajority of the population. i, for one, would never steal anything with tony danza's face on it.

maybe the coasters would be less irresistable if they didn't have the disney name or logo on them.

I don't believe they did, I think they were plain (cork & plastic, nothing special). I'm not 100% positive, anyone remember?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter