gossip re DVC

goldilocks_63

<font color=green>OKW+BCV+SSR+AKV<br><font color=c
Hi,

I asked a CM what the next DVC would be, and was told Contemporary.

Then, this tidbit.

They plan on putting DVC at all the deluxe resorts.

Really? I said.... Like which ones?

Polynesian, and Grand Floridian, was told are in the works as well, down the line. And they're putting in a 4 seasons (this we already heard about).

This is gossip, and no I won't say who/what/where/when/or how, just take it for what it's worth, which is an interesting but unconfirmed UFO siteing.

Goldi

I just returned, last night, from our trip to WDW... :cool1:

We've all heard the rumors and see the plans.. but they keep denying it!!

I was going to get on the boards to see if someone posted more specifically about the construction at the contemporary..... It is a HUGE area they are working on - between the existing hotel and the MK... does someone know what that is..? :confused3 It is certainly large enough to be another building! When I asked a DVC guide, they acted coy and did not give a straight answer... she giggled when I mentioned the photos being on the boards...

hmmmm :rolleyes1

of the construction site while I was riding the monorail..

but I don't know how to post them...

I could e-mail them to someone if you'd be willing to post them... pm me if you're interested..!

I wonder where at the Poly they would put it? One side bumps up against TTC and the other the wedding pavilion.

Wouldn't surprise me if they just rehab a floor or building of Poly/Grand FL & call it DVC...the faithful will be happy.

Then perhaps build a few more smaller buildings in keeping with theme of each resort.

While I'm sure DVC has at least a basic outline of what it could do at each of the Disney resorts, whether the resorts unit lets them act on any of those plans is what really matters.

Disney guest rooms are far, FAR more profitable when sold on a cash basis rather than sold as DVC units. The key to getting DVC into a particular location...at least in current years...has been excess capacity. For example, Disney couldn't fill the rooms at the Disney Institute so they closed it and SSR was born. AKL was built with 1300 guest rooms, many of which sat empty night-after-night. Thus we get AKV. If the CR project is DVC units, it's replacing the North Garden Wing which was most recently used to host military guests during the SoG rehab. For the most part, that wing was also excess capacity.

As for the Poly and Grand Floridian, I've never heard of either having occupancy issues...particularly the Poly. If they can continue to get $400+ per night from cash guests, that's the way to go. :thumbsup2

One unknown is what impact the new Four Seasons development might have on the Grand Floridian. The GF was designed to be the flagship Disney resort, but they were never willing to spend what was necessary to earn truly elite status. If the Four Seasons becomes the destination of choice for the rich and powerful, occupancy at the GF could easily fall-off and pave the way for DVC to acquire some existing rooms.

We sa all the construction at CR - they have a ton of underground utilitiy pipes, tubes or conduits (or whatever they are called) laying around the cleared spot. My DH said- hey- the peolple on the Disboards would like to see a picture of that- I said- we have all seen it already :) ;)

If it happens at Poly, some of those 1971 Longhouses will be history. Im sure DVC will remember how easy the North Wing came down

While I'm sure DVC has at least a basic outline of what it could do at each of the Disney resorts, whether the resorts unit lets them act on any of those plans is what really matters.

Disney guest rooms are far, FAR more profitable when sold on a cash basis rather than sold as DVC units. The key to getting DVC into a particular location...at least in current years...has been excess capacity. For example, Disney couldn't fill the rooms at the Disney Institute so they closed it and SSR was born. AKL was built with 1300 guest rooms, many of which sat empty night-after-night. Thus we get AKV. If the CR project is DVC units, it's replacing the North Garden Wing which was most recently used to host military guests during the SoG rehab. For the most part, that wing was also excess capacity.

As for the Poly and Grand Floridian, I've never heard of either having occupancy issues...particularly the Poly. If they can continue to get $400+ per night from cash guests, that's the way to go. :thumbsup2

One unknown is what impact the new Four Seasons development might have on the Grand Floridian. The GF was designed to be the flagship Disney resort, but they were never willing to spend what was necessary to earn truly elite status. If the Four Seasons becomes the destination of choice for the rich and powerful, occupancy at the GF could easily fall-off and pave the way for DVC to acquire some existing rooms.

If DVC is put only in under-used resorts, why did they build the BCV and VWL? Were the YC/BC and WL also under-utilized? :confused3 And why did they build the BWV at the same time as the BWI instead of waiting to see if the BWI would be nearer to full capacity?:confused:
If it's about capacity only, why did they bother building OKW, the flagship DVC, instead of tearing down the treehouses and building there? :confused3

I can see your point re: AKL and the DI, but IMO, that criteria doesn't seem to easily fit all the others.

If DVC is put only in under-used resorts, why did they build the BCV and VWL? Were the YC/BC and WL also under-utilized? :confused3 And why did they build the BWV at the same time as the BWI instead of waiting to see if the BWI would be nearer to full capacity?:confused:
If it's about capacity only, why did they bother building OKW, the flagship DVC, instead of tearing down the treehouses and building there? :confused3

I can see your point re: AKL and the DI, but IMO, that criteria doesn't seem to easily fit all the others.

yes there was a time when both BC and WL were closing floors due to lack of occupany, DVC gave them year round occupancy.

I am not saying they won't ever add a DVC portion to Polynesian or Grand Floridian but I don't see it happening for a long time, 10-20 years. Even then I think they would do as they did at AKV and simply add some existing rooms to the buildings already there, as I see no logical place to build another wing.

As for OKW and BWV, those projects were completed long before WDW was overbuilt. Off the top of my head, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Pop Century all opened after OKW and BWV. That's over 6000 (a full 1/4 of all Disney-owned rooms currently available) rooms right there.

Even the All-stars, which opened in late 1994, came well after OKW (1991) and after construction had begun at BW.

I just returned, last night, from our trip to WDW... :cool1:

We've all heard the rumors and see the plans.. but they keep denying it!!

I was going to get on the boards to see if someone posted more specifically about the construction at the contemporary..... It is a HUGE area they are working on - between the existing hotel and the MK... does someone know what that is..? :confused3 It is certainly large enough to be another building! When I asked a DVC guide, they acted coy and did not give a straight answer... she giggled when I mentioned the photos being on the boards...

hmmmm :rolleyes1

Legally, I don't think DVC guides can say anything, even if it's true. They could lose their jobs.

My feeling is that the current 655 rooms is much to small for the the large convention facility that it has.

We have in my town a 100,000s/f convention center with over 1000 guest room hotel.

Wishful thinking aside, It just does not add up to DVC's favor when you look at the needs of the resort. It needs an upscale suites on cash to help with its conventions. (conventions make much more money than vacation stays and timeshare)

Convention goers are not staying in suites. Most companies will pay group rates for a regular hotel room, but certainly not Disneys suite rates.

Legally, I don't think DVC guides can say anything, even if it's true. They could lose their jobs.

Yes, I agree...
(certainly why I would never mention a name!)

but it never hurts to ask! and it's a bit of fun to watch them squirm a little!! :laughing: tee hee!! It must feel like a really big secret to keep - if they actually know what is going on.. sometimes it sounds like they only hear rumors like we do.. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter