Grand Californian Super Thread

DVC check in is the same as regular check in, and the resi should be under your name. We rented points last year and that is how it worked.

DVC check in is the same as regular check in, and the resi should be under your name. We rented points last year and that is how it worked.
VGC shares check in with GCH. Rental reservations should be in the name of the renter, not the owner. Somewhat related: advance VGC view requests must be made through DVC member services by the owner, not by the renter and not through GCH.

I just found out that my parents want to join our trip next summer. How comfortable is a two bedroom for seven adults and one child? Are the pull out beds comfortable at all?

I just found out that my parents want to join our trip next summer. How comfortable is a two bedroom for seven adults and one child?
A 2 bedroom suite could be 4 queens and a queen sofa bed, sleeps 10. A 2 bedroom suite is generally a 1 bedroom with a standard room attached.

An example of a 1 bedroom (there are several configurations):
DGCH-FP-ArtisanQueenSuite.gif

A regular room with 2 queens would be attached:
DGCH-FP-StandardRoom.gif

If you are planning for summer 2017, you might consider renting points for a 2 bedroom villa.
(3 full baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer...)
roomlayout_twobedroom.jpg

I haven't had time to read all 201 pages, so hopefully someone will answer a few quick questions.

1. Do all VGC studios have a balcony or do I need to request one?
2. Are the laundry facilities free as they are at WDW DVC resorts?
3. What size are the coffeemakers?

Thanks!

I haven't had time to read all 201 pages, so hopefully someone will answer a few quick questions.

1. Do all VGC studios have a balcony or do I need to request one? All have balconies

2. Are the laundry facilities free as they are at WDW DVC resorts? I believe you can get tokens for the laundry facilities, but not 100% sure.

3. What size are the coffeemakers? They are 10-12 cup coffee makers.

Have a great time!

Thanks!

When I went last September, they gave me a reloadable card for laundry. You have to ask at the front desk and it took a good 5-10 minutes.

Question about going to DCA from the hotel. Last time we were told it was better to go to the main turnstiles, but since the line at the hotel was very short we went through there instead, followed the instructions about "wide right" and made it RSR and could ride it immediately. I see that people are still suggesting using the main entrance. Has anything changed in the last 2 years (since our last visit) to make that more or less critical? I'm guessing we just got lucky, but it was so convenient to just go down the elevator and walk through that entrance...

We used the washer and dryers a couple of weeks ago. It was pay per use and you needed a debit or credit card. Laundry soap and fabric softener was also available from a vending machine but there were free ones of each in a basket in the laundry area.

Last edited:
Question about going to DCA from the hotel. Last time we were told it was better to go to the main turnstiles, but since the line at the hotel was very short we went through there instead, followed the instructions about "wide right" and made it RSR and could ride it immediately. I see that people are still suggesting using the main entrance. Has anything changed in the last 2 years (since our last visit) to make that more or less critical? I'm guessing we just got lucky, but it was so convenient to just go down the elevator and walk through that entrance...
Sometimes first thing in the morning, the line from GCH into DCA can get really long. Usually best to go to main entrance first thing in the morning, although I found that the line tends to move quickly and that they let you in to the roped off part fairly early. So it can be quicker but not guaranteed.

Sometimes first thing in the morning, the line from GCH into DCA can get really long. Usually best to go to main entrance first thing in the morning, although I found that the line tends to move quickly and that they let you in to the roped off part fairly early. So it can be quicker but not guaranteed.

We were staying at the VGC a couple weekends ago. Disney starting the new screening policy that weekend. I found the line at the hotel was very long and frustrating. They were checking everyone with either a wand or through the x-ray (??) frame. You had to empty all metal objects into a tray. Double strollers couldn't fit through the screening doorway thingy and were pulled aside for further inspection. Made for a very slow moving line (and a bit invasive to boot) for any time of the day. If this policy is still in effect, I don't think the hotel line will be as fast as it has in the past. Still maybe faster than the main entrance. I hope they have worked out the kinks and the process is more efficient and faster by now.

Anyone gone recently and can add to this?

Do they offer something for breakfast in the Hearthstone Lounge? I remember this from a long time ago and I'm wondering if it still exists, and if it does, can someone tell me what they sell before the parks open? Looking for a quick bite early in the morning.

TIA!

Do they offer something for breakfast in the Hearthstone Lounge? I remember this from a long time ago and I'm wondering if it still exists, and if it does, can someone tell me what they sell before the parks open? Looking for a quick bite early in the morning.

TIA!

In previous years they had pastries, bagels, juice and coffee/coffee drinks... Usually opened at 6.

In previous years they had pastries, bagels, juice and coffee/coffee drinks... Usually opened at 6.

Thanks. That's what I remember from a few years ago, too.
Anyone know if it's still available? I don't see "breakfast" on any of the Hearthstone lounge menus I have found online.

I don't know about hearthstone lounge but white water snacks has a pretty good breakfast before park opening

White water is like a hidden gem! It's tucked away in it's own little corner and every time I have been in it ... not crowded at all. We usually get bagels, yogurts, cereal, fruit, etc. and have that for breakfast. Plus .. not breakfast related, but their veggie burgers are actually quite good! :)

White water is like a hidden gem! It's tucked away in it's own little corner and every time I have been in it ... not crowded at all. We usually get bagels, yogurts, cereal, fruit, etc. and have that for breakfast. Plus .. not breakfast related, but their veggie burgers are actually quite good! :)

We love whitewater snacks for a lunch by the pool, but the last time we stayed at the GCH we went down there for breakfast and the place was absolutely mobbed with people and we didn't want to wait in the very long line that wasn't moving. Maybe that's not the norm, though, as it's been a few years since we have been to DL. I see that there is now a Starbucks in DTD, so that could work as our back-up, but I did like the idea of having another place at the GCH that we could duck into to grab something small. :) (We also tried La Brea, but they didn't open at all until after the park opened). We like to be at rope drop and ride in the morning!

We love whitewater snacks for a lunch by the pool, but the last time we stayed at the GCH we went down there for breakfast and the place was absolutely mobbed with people and we didn't want to wait in the very long line that wasn't moving. Maybe that's not the norm, though, as it's been a few years since we have been to DL. I see that there is now a Starbucks in DTD, so that could work as our back-up, but I did like the idea of having another place at the GCH that we could duck into to grab something small. :) (We also tried La Brea, but they didn't open at all until after the park opened). We like to be at rope drop and ride in the morning!

REALLY?? Oh man.. not only is it just a great place to grab a bite, but the low crowd factor made it even more desirable! Hopefully that was just a busy busy day and it will go back to being somewhat less crowded... :-)

We were there last Tue to this past Monday and I'm pretty sure I saw a sign that Hearthstone had pastries and coffees, but I didn't read enough detail to know the times. We didn't visit Whitewater Snacks during breakfast so not sure how crazy it was.
I just realized we didn't even use that park entrance early AM. However, we only had 2 early days since we were there 5 full days.
We also only visited the DTD Starbucks twice in the afternoon (not lunch time) and the line was a lot longer and slower compared to my local Starbucks'. It seemed well staffed, it's just that much more busy. Just a heads up, although not very helpful since I didnt pay attention to the AM crowd there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter