Grand Californian Super Thread

Hi, everyone --

I have a reservation for a "woods/courtyard view". I see courtyard view rooms on the floor plan posted by Nonsuch, but no woods view. Are they the same rooms?

Thanks!

We will be staying VGC studio for the first half of our trip. There are three large adults and one child, so I'm a little nervous about the room size. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay the difference for an upgrade to a larger room without messing up the owners account? I've never stayed VGC before, so I'm a bit confused as to how it all works. The owner did request an accessible room and was told that we were "put on the list". I don't know if the accessible room would be any bigger or not.

The owner is my "aunt's" employer, so I don't want to bug him with a bunch of questions...

As others have mentioned, upgrading is highly unlikely, but you would have to ask the owner. When is your reservation?

Just for your own benefit, please do not ask for upgrades when you get there or try to call member services. Only the owner can make changes to the reservations. In theory, if you ask for an upgrade, they should just refuse because you are not the owner, but I have heard of some instances where they actually do it. What will happen is that they will deduct the extra DVC points needed for the upgrade from your "aunt's" employer's DVC account, and he/she will not be a happy camper.

If you really want to upgrade, you would need to ask the owner. It's actually not that hard to look for availability (the owner just logs into the DVC member account and looks to see if a 1 or 2 bedroom is available). Then, the owner would have to call member services, cancel the current reservation, then book a new reservation. You would have to negotiate with the owner what kind of compensation would be required for the upgrade. The owner may or may not have enough points to cover this change, which is the other issue.

As others have mentioned, upgrading is highly unlikely, but you would have to ask the owner. When is your reservation?

Just for your own benefit, please do not ask for upgrades when you get there or try to call member services. Only the owner can make changes to the reservations. In theory, if you ask for an upgrade, they should just refuse because you are not the owner, but I have heard of some instances where they actually do it. What will happen is that they will deduct the extra DVC points needed for the upgrade from your "aunt's" employer's DVC account, and he/she will not be a happy camper.

If you really want to upgrade, you would need to ask the owner. It's actually not that hard to look for availability (the owner just logs into the DVC member account and looks to see if a 1 or 2 bedroom is available). Then, the owner would have to call member services, cancel the current reservation, then book a new reservation. You would have to negotiate with the owner what kind of compensation would be required for the upgrade. The owner may or may not have enough points to cover this change, which is the other issue.
Thank you for explaining that in detail! I definitely won't ask about upgrades as I don't want to cause any issues. We are so thankful to be able to go at all!

Eta: We are staying at VGC Oct 18-20, then moving to Camelot Inn Oct 20-22.

Thank you for explaining that in detail! I definitely won't ask about upgrades as I don't want to cause any issues. We are so thankful to be able to go at all!

Eta: We are staying at VGC Oct 18-20, then moving to Camelot Inn Oct 20-22.

Of course, happy to help!

Yeah, 10/18-10/20 are completely full at VGC. You could still upgrade to a 2 bedroom potentially if you were going in late January or February, anything sooner than that is booked solid.

...I have a reservation for a "woods/courtyard view". I see courtyard view rooms on the floor plan posted by Nonsuch, but no woods view. Are they the same rooms?
Woods and Courtyard are different views, but are combined as a single category. Courtyard view rooms will have a view of the courtyard where the monorail passes through. Woods view rooms will have a view of trees, and perhaps a partial view of the pools or the park.

On this floorplan, Woods view rooms are likely to be colored Blue or Green and located on lower floors.
image.jpeg

Thanks for the response. I'd love to be by the elevator just off the lobby. If I ask for an upper floor do you think that would that increase my chances of getting a courtyard view on that side of the hotel?

I have a quick question regarding room categories at the Grand Californian which I am hoping someone can help with.............I have booked a room through hotels.com and the category i booked was simply "Room", this was a more expensive category than the "Standard, City View" room category but I am not overly clear on what sort of room/view it will be as it doesn't seem to match the categories on here or the Disney web site. The only hint is in the description where it states "balcony/patio with resort views". Does anyone know if the resort view is likely to mean its a view of the Courtyard, Woods or even pool area or could i still end up with a "City view"........which i think just means it looks out on the front of the hotel/the car park??

Any help would be appreciated as i don't want to pay more for the room if i am likely to end up with the same view as the cheaper rate.

...Any help would be appreciated as i don't want to pay more for the room if i am likely to end up with the same view as the cheaper rate.
I took a quick look at Hotels.com, and the room descriptions seem to match the Disney website. The only "Room" was "Room, Concierge" which will include access to the lounge.

Considering the rather ambiguous description of "Room", personally I would just book the cheaper rate.

The cheaper one sounds like the "Standard View" which at worst case is a view out the front of the hotel overlooking the Valet area. There are a gazilion "views" above that...Courtyard View, Woods View, DTD View, Pool View, Park View, Partial Park View.

No idea what Hotles.com description would equate to but would be a safe bet that you would not be looking at the street for the higher price since there is only one category at the Grand that would give you that view unless you are a standard room with concierge as noted above.

One way to check is compare what the Hotels.com price difference is then see what the disney.com room price differences are. Price spread between rooms may give you an idea of what to expect.

Sorry another question/dilemma thoughts would be appreciated on (apologies as this possibly isn't the thread for it) as despite being a WDW veteran I've yet to stay at any of the Disneyland hotels (visited the parks before though)......I can get a Theme Park View room in Paradise Pier for one night or for £50 ($63) more the "Room" category in Grand Californian, I like the idea of the Theme Park view room (had one in the Contemporary before and a nice novelty to have a park just out the window) but I also like the idea of staying in the Grand Californian having stayed in Grand Floridian before. The GC looks the nicer hotel, though the PP has a more "Disney" theme (if that makes sense)........time won't be on our side so we will be limited in use of the hotels themselves but still plan to have some pool time.......i guess for the GC i would really just be ticking the box to say i had done it..........Should i go for the theme park view Paradise Pier or go with the GC??

I already have the night before booked in the Disneyland Hotel to tick that one off :)

Sorry another question/dilemma thoughts would be appreciated on (apologies as this possibly isn't the thread for it) as despite being a WDW veteran I've yet to stay at any of the Disneyland hotels (visited the parks before though)......I can get a Theme Park View room in Paradise Pier for one night or for £50 ($63) more the "Room" category in Grand Californian, I like the idea of the Theme Park view room (had one in the Contemporary before and a nice novelty to have a park just out the window) but I also like the idea of staying in the Grand Californian having stayed in Grand Floridian before. The GC looks the nicer hotel, though the PP has a more "Disney" theme (if that makes sense)........time won't be on our side so we will be limited in use of the hotels themselves but still plan to have some pool time.......i guess for the GC i would really just be ticking the box to say i had done it..........Should i go for the theme park view Paradise Pier or go with the GC??

I already have the night before booked in the Disneyland Hotel to tick that one off :)
We have stayed at both the Paradise Pier Hotel and GC. We did not like PP at all . . . it felt outside of the Disney 'bubble' because you have to walk across the street, the elevator situation was a pain (lots of waiting for elevators), we thought the Disney theming was minimal, and we did not like the set-up of the rooms (only sink was inside the bathroom). Every time we walked through the GC to get to PP, we were sad. We absolutely love, love, love the Grand Californian. We love the feel of it, the location, the room set-up (2 sinks outside of the little toilet/shower room makes it so much more functional for us) and the overall Disney theme of the hotel. After staying there many times, we finally bought into DVC with the GC as our home resort because we love it *so* much.

Now, if we had never stayed at the GC and been spoiled by all it has to offer, maybe we would have liked PP just fine, I don't know. But for us, there is no comparison. Hands down, Grand Californian. I would take no view at GC over theme park view at PP. Just my opinion, of course. :-)

No matter where you stay, you will have a magical time!!:cool1::goodvibes

I stay at both the GCH and PPH quote a bit...and any time these question pop up...my answer is that it depends on what you want out of your room:

-PPH has the best theme park view of all three resorts hands down.
-PPH is a "bit" outside the bubble...but compared to Harbor side it it still night and day for me.
-The GCH has more of a woodsy feel than a Disney feel...but that is what I love. As a road warrior that spends hundreds of nights in hotels, I am the most relaxed in a GCH room!
-GCH rooms are MUCH smaller and "darker" (again, theme) than PPH but GCH has a much better bathroom layout for families and groups.
-The PPH pool is pretty dismal in my opinion for Disney property...not much better then a Holiday Inn...GCH Pool is MUCH better (you can not pool hop)
-My favorite part about GCH is proximity and being so close to the parks. The ability to pop in and out of your room is much better then even the PPH or DLH.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I am still in two minds but think the GC might have won.......maybe i can ask to sneak into a PP room for some photos of the theme park view :)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I am still in two minds but think the GC might have won.......maybe i can ask to sneak into a PP room for some photos of the theme park view :)
A friend of mine once went over to PPH (she was staying at the DH at the time) and asked --very nicely-- if she and her friends might get a tour of PPH. They had to wait a little while, but a nice CM did take them on a tour of the hotel. I can't remember the details of what they saw . . . but you might try asking if you have time!

I've stayed at all 3 Disney hotels -- I know there are people here who like the PPH, but I am not one of them. No one in our family liked it. It's the only one of the Disney hotels that wasn't originally a Disney hotel, and it looks like it. IMO it's very generic looking, and not very "Disney." And the pool doesn't compare to either the GC or the DLH. We did have a theme park view, and that was a GREAT view, especially at night. But since we were rarely in the room at night until we were in bed, it didn't make up for the lack of ambience in the hotel itself.

We moved to the GCH on that same trip. Love the GCH. It is one nice hotel! Although not "Disney" in the sense that the DLH is Disney, the common areas are just beautiful and so relaxing. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge at DW and it reminded me alot of that (minus the animals!). We also had a park view room there. It was a different view, probably not as good of a view at night as the one we had at the PPH, but basically our room overlooked the Grizzly River/Soarin' area and it was a fun view during the day. I couldn't comment on the non-view rooms at the GCH. They do have bunk beds at the GCH if that matters to you. We stayed near the "secret exit," and was was really nice being that close to the park entrance.

Anyway, if your main concern is the pool, I'd do the GCH hands down.

I've stayed at all 3 Disney hotels -- I know there are people here who like the PPH, but I am not one of them. No one in our family liked it. It's the only one of the Disney hotels that wasn't originally a Disney hotel, and it looks like it. IMO it's very generic looking, and not very "Disney." And the pool doesn't compare to either the GC or the DLH. We did have a theme park view, and that was a GREAT view, especially at night. But since we were rarely in the room at night until we were in bed, it didn't make up for the lack of ambience in the hotel itself.

We moved to the GCH on that same trip. Love the GCH. It is one nice hotel! Although not "Disney" in the sense that the DLH is Disney, the common areas are just beautiful and so relaxing. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge at DW and it reminded me alot of that (minus the animals!). We also had a park view room there. It was a different view, probably not as good of a view at night as the one we had at the PPH, but basically our room overlooked the Grizzly River/Soarin' area and it was a fun view during the day. I couldn't comment on the non-view rooms at the GCH. They do have bunk beds at the GCH if that matters to you. We stayed near the "secret exit," and was was really nice being that close to the park entrance.

Anyway, if your main concern is the pool, I'd do the GCH hands down.
I agree with you completely. And the bunk bed rooms . . . they are awesome!!! We always requested one before we bought into DVC. They have a queen bed, plus a bunkbed with a trundle, so really 5 people. Granted, the bunkbed and trundle aren't quite full-length twins, but close enough that we didn't have an issue. You aren't going to want your 6' teenage son on them, but most kids and shorter adults are fine. Gives you a lot more floor space than a 2-queen room.

Forgive my question as I'm sure it's been asked a million times, I just couldn't find the answer in a search. Where are the VGC rooms located?

ALSO, I'm a WDW vet but this will be our first DLR visit. Does the GC have taxis waiting out front like the WDW resorts do? We've really got our hearts set on trying an In N Out burger, so we'd like to hop a taxi to make that jaunt. :) We're not renting a car as we usually do at WDW.

Forgive my question as I'm sure it's been asked a million times, I just couldn't find the answer in a search. Where are the VGC rooms located?

ALSO, I'm a WDW vet but this will be our first DLR visit. Does the GC have taxis waiting out front like the WDW resorts do? We've really got our hearts set on trying an In N Out burger, so we'd like to hop a taxi to make that jaunt. :) We're not renting a car as we usually do at WDW.
Check out this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/villas-at-disneys-grand-californian-room-views.2906031/

Click on "Resort maps on floor layouts" and it will bring you to a helpful map.

If you look at the bottom part of the map, you will see the wing where the rooms look bigger, and if you keep scrolling down through the maps and pictures, there are maps of each floor level of VGC.

I think there are taxis waiting, but you could always call the bell desk and ask them to have one waiting for you. You will love VGC!!!

Check out this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/villas-at-disneys-grand-californian-room-views.2906031/

Click on "Resort maps on floor layouts" and it will bring you to a helpful map.

If you look at the bottom part of the map, you will see the wing where the rooms look bigger, and if you keep scrolling down through the maps and pictures, there are maps of each floor level of VGC.

I think there are taxis waiting, but you could always call the bell desk and ask them to have one waiting for you. You will love VGC!!!
FANTASTIC! THANK YOU!!!! The AKL is our home resort, so I'm pretty sure I'll feel right at home. <3 We're all looking forward to a new location for a vacation in over 20 years. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter