Grand Californian Super Thread

We REALLY had a blast! Got our pictures taken with Santa twice, had a drink and appetizer in Hearthstone afterward. We were getting a picture next to the Christmas tree in Hearthstone Lounge thanks to a nice lady who offered to take it for us. Her husband asked if he could be in the picture, too !! We had a lot of people wanting pics with us, LOL--maybe because the line to see Santa was so long!
cathmesantas coming.jpgcathmehsguy.jpg
cath me santa elves.JPG

Attachments

• cathmegchtree.jpg
    cathmegchtree.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
  • cathmegchtree2.jpg
    cathmegchtree2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 8
We REALLY had a blast! Got our pictures taken with Santa twice, had a drink and appetizer in Hearthstone afterward. We were getting a picture next to the Christmas tree in Hearthstone Lounge thanks to a nice lady who offered to take it for us. Her husband asked if he could be in the picture, too !! We had a lot of people wanting pics with us, LOL--maybe because the line to see Santa was so long!
View attachment 817368View attachment 817365
View attachment 817353
You two are adorable! What great pictures. I love your costumes. That room you had looks so nice and a great location. Hope your trip was wonderful :)

View attachment 817368View attachment 817365
View attachment 817353
Of Course people wanted to take pictures with Santa's Helpers!
Very cute photos.

Is it possible to request early check in for your room? Perhaps an extra fee or anything?
Sure, you can request it but they most likely won't know if you can get in early or not until day of, and you probably won't find out until you arrive and ask at the desk. My personal belief is that it's best to arrive in the morning and repeat your request rather than wait and see what they system gives you. They don't guarantee anything when it comes to check-in or room location other than to give you the room type you booked (or better). It doesn't hurt to ask, though! We went to the desk to see when we would find out what our room location was as we had asked to get a room near the elevators and lobby. We were very surprised (and so was the CM!) when she looked for us and saw just what we were hoping for and it was ready!

Sure, you can request it but they most likely won't know if you can get in early or not until day of, and you probably won't find out until you arrive and ask at the desk. My personal belief is that it's best to arrive in the morning and repeat your request rather than wait and see what they system gives you. They don't guarantee anything when it comes to check-in or room location other than to give you the room type you booked (or better). It doesn't hurt to ask, though! We went to the desk to see when we would find out what our room location was as we had asked to get a room near the elevators and lobby. We were very surprised (and so was the CM!) when she looked for us and saw just what we were hoping for and it was ready!
Did you just ask for "A room near elevator and lobby" or ask for something more specific?

Did you just ask for "A room near elevator and lobby" or ask for something more specific?
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I requested! I tell them on the phone that I don't really care about the view, but I do prefer a room that is close to an elevator and preferably the lobby as well. I love the 3rd floor because of the small lobby there that is furnished with tables, chairs, couches, and desks and overlooks the first floor lobby, and I usually add that preference when I arrive.

Another good thing about those rooms around the lobby besides being close to the elevators is that you aren't down a hallway so there are no rooms/doors across the hall, just the great central open space.

My second favorite area is in the Napa Rose wing. It has its own smaller elevator bank and comes out in a little lobby between Napa Rose and Storytellers. If you're going to use the pool, that's nice because you don't have to trek through the main lobby when you're all wet or in your robe or something.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I requested! I tell them on the phone that I don't really care about the view, but I do prefer a room that is close to an elevator and preferably the lobby as well. I love the 3rd floor because of the small lobby there that is furnished with tables, chairs, couches, and desks and overlooks the first floor lobby, and I usually add that preference when I arrive.

Another good thing about those rooms around the lobby besides being close to the elevators is that you aren't down a hallway so there are no rooms/doors across the hall, just the great central open space.

My second favorite area is in the Napa Rose wing. It has its own smaller elevator bank and comes out in a little lobby between Napa Rose and Storytellers. If you're going to use the pool, that's nice because you don't have to trek through the main lobby when you're all wet or in your robe or something.
Cool! I'll definitely request that when we go in April. I'm in a standard room so I don't if I can get such a nice room location but I'll try.

Is it loud being so close to the lobby?

Cool! I'll definitely request that when we go in April. I'm in a standard room so I don't if I can get such a nice room location but I'll try.

Is it loud being so close to the lobby?
No, it's not. It was really very quiet in our room. There are some projections on the 3rd floor hallways below (like semi-circular balconies) that maybe muffle the noise or something? There are decorative thingies (don't know the official word) everywhere that probably help a lot. There are panels and beams and decorations hanging down from the ceiling edges and railings etc. We really didn't hear much at all from our room. We could hear the monorail going by more than anything else and it was pretty quiet. There was a sound I could hear when everything was really quiet late at night when the monorail was no longer running that I thought at first was a cart or something down the hall but I think it was actually the quiet hum of the elevator. I could only hear it when there was no other noise.

No, it's not. It was really very quiet in our room. There are some projections on the 3rd floor hallways below (like semi-circular balconies) that maybe muffle the noise or something? There are decorative thingies (don't know the official word) everywhere that probably help a lot. There are panels and beams and decorations hanging down from the ceiling edges and railings etc. We really didn't hear much at all from our room. We could hear the monorail going by more than anything else and it was pretty quiet. There was a sound I could hear when everything was really quiet late at night when the monorail was no longer running that I thought at first was a cart or something down the hall but I think it was actually the quiet hum of the elevator. I could only hear it when there was no other noise.
It sounds perfect :)

Are kids allowed in Hearthstone Lounge or is it adults only?
Yes, although I'm not sure whether or not there is a cutoff time like at Trader Sam's. I don't think so, but be aware kids are only allowed at a table seating (not at the bar). I'm not sure if that counts for the couches and chairs that have a more coffee-table setting or in the fireplace alcove area.

I just read something really interesting about Hearthstone Lounge! I will copy it here:

"Every piece of wood in this lounge (except for furniture) was made from one single tree that Disney bid on when it fell in northern California. The shades are different due to stains, but look at the wood grain. It all works together. You can learn more about the architecture and creation of the Grand Californian Hotel during the Art of Craft Tour, which is free of charge."

That was from something called SoCal Daily. I've never done the tour but I would love to.

I've just gotta say....I've never stayed at GCH, but I was so exhausted last week after a long morning in Galaxies edge....walked through here and sat down in front of the Fireplace....and didn't wake up until 6 hours later. That was the most amazing experience I've had at any property, and has convinced me to stay there the next time i'm out for a week or so.

We had to change our date from thanksgiving to January. We will be at the hotel the 2-7 and my only request is a third bed. There are just three of us but we are used to sleeping apart. Next week I will be calling to make that request again. Hopefully we can have that extra bed. But even if we vacant we will have a great time there.

Any idea if they will have any entertainment on Christmas Eve at the hotel? We are checking in that day and we are not planning to go to the parks. I can't find any entertainment schedule for the hotels in their website.

Any idea if they will have any entertainment on Christmas Eve at the hotel? We are checking in that day and we are not planning to go to the parks. I can't find any entertainment schedule for the hotels in their website.
Most likely they will at least have carolers/bell ringers and a piano player. When we were there last week, there was also a piano player with a band that played for quite a while in the evening, followed by just piano for the rest of the evening. Santa is there from 4-8. Hopefully someone here will have a schefule to share.

Are the GCH pools busy on the same days the parks are busy? Asking because we'll be there on a couple of busy park days but I was thinking we could always just hang out at the hotel/pools if the parks feel too crowded. We'll be there April 6-9, which is at least part of Spring Break season.

Dapper Days is Sunday, April 7, so the weekend will be filled with great dressed people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter