• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Greeting cards - Yay or nay?

I'm very much of a card person. I think I get it from my mom's genes, she was also. My wife is also a card person. We do not send out Christmas cards, other than a few to distant relatives or friends. We do enjoy getting the family picture Christmas cards at that time however. I think we probably get about 25 or so. We do give each other, as well as our kids and grandkids, cards for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Easter. For each other, additionally St Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day and St. Joseph's Day. Most are Hallmark cards.

Before we were married, we dated about 1 1/2 years, engaged for another 1 1/2. I sent my then girlfriend and subsequent fiance a card every day for about 20 or so of those months before we got married. It was a task finding new ones that I hadn't already sent.

I guess we are card people.

I have never been big on cards until my Mom died. Now I really value those cards that she sent with notes and signed.

So now, I get one for each child and grandchild on their birthday along with their gift. I even bought dil, Dd and each of the granddaughters a pretty little box to keep cards in.

Nay, I'm not a card person. But my mom is. And my grandma was. Maybe it's a generational thing. My mom used to call and remind me when relatives (even distant relatives) birthdays were coming up and tell me that I should send a card. I can tell she feels it's definitely an obligation, and she wanted it to be for me. Like if I don't send cards I have poor manners, or it reflects poorly on her? I don't know, but I used to get quite the greeting card guilt trip commentary. In both mine and my husband's families, people always talk about our grandmas with praise that they always sent a card to everyone for every occasion, always, and that was such an admirable trait. My sibling and cousins and I don't send cards to each other, we are ok with it. I have one SIL and BIL that definitely dislike cards. Most of us don't do Christmas cards anymore, or don't do them consistently every year. The older generation has a harder time with us letting this go than we do. Practically the only reason I will buy a card these days is when I send them to my mom because it is important to her, or if want to send my nephews some money or a gift card for their birthdays and I have to mail it because they don't live near me. And then when I see how much more cards cost now, I'm not sorry I don't buy them more often. I think cards would be cooler if people just gave them as surprises for fun or for cheer rather than the standard traditional card-giving holidays.

I'm old school. I love the art of letter writing, and I adore sending and receiving cards. I prefer sending and receiving hand written thank you notes. Personal expressions from friends and family touch me deeply.

For my birthday just two days ago, I received lovely cards from colleagues with handwritten personal messages. Two parents gave me cards, one was laugh out loud funny with a sweet handwritten note, and the other was more serious and made me cry. My husband buys two cards, one silly, and the other more touching. My daughter and I both love the Papyrus cards that are genuine works of art. The Facebook messages are nice, but the cards mean more to me because it took the person time to find just the right card and write a personal message.

I still send Christmas cards. I used to send about 100 but have trimmed my list to under 50 people now. I still receive around 40 cards every year. I hang them up with ribbon in my living room, and my house doesn't truly feel like Christmas until they are on display.

I realize that cards cost money. I have made and received very special hand made cards that cost zero. Those were the best cards of all.

I think taking the time to show someone that you care for them with a hand written note or card lets them know just how important they are to you, especially now that less and less people send cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter