"Grr...No Outside Photographers For Park Weddings!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Disney should have a list of pre approved venders, this way the photographers would be kept up to date on Disney Rules etc. I know alot of traditional reception sites make you pick an approved caterer. It could be the same thing!

Email response from the sales coordinator we have spoken with previously: -

Hello, Meryll and Simon ~

The below statement came from our Weddings Director and, hopefully, will be able to answer your questions. To be brief, yes, you will be able to have an outside photographer at Sea Breeze Point, however, you will not be able to have an outside photographer at your Dessert Party.

I received notice last week that Disney's Fairy Weddings must become compliant with our company's business policy prohibiting [non-publicity related] outside photography and videography services within all Walt Disney World Theme Parks. By implementing this change for new weddings contracted on or after October 1, 2008, there are no current couples that will be affected. Also, this change is only for wedding events taking place within a Walt Disney World Theme Park. This change will not impact outside photography and videography services for any wedding event taking place at Disney's Wedding Pavilion and/or a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

This change could be interpreted a different way as well. Maybe they are trying to keep the weddings and receptions at the Resorts rather than the parks. So this could be an indirect way to convince you to do that. Just a thought.

Also, I think Lurkyloo indicated DPS would do a DP for $350.

Perhaps if you marry in a resort location and have an outside photographer, they would let you swap the DP for the included photography (for Escapes) like they currently let you swap for a honeymoon shoot.

If you really want wedding pictures in Epcot, you could book the bridal shoot.

I think you will just have to get more creative.

Hang in there, I am sure more information is coming !

I think Disney should have a list of pre approved venders, this way the photographers would be kept up to date on Disney Rules etc. I know alot of traditional reception sites make you pick an approved caterer. It could be the same thing!

Now this idea makes sense!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Email response from the sales coordinator we have spoken with previously: -

Hello, Meryll and Simon ~

The below statement came from our Weddings Director and, hopefully, will be able to answer your questions. To be brief, yes, you will be able to have an outside photographer at Sea Breeze Point, however, you will not be able to have an outside photographer at your Dessert Party.

I received notice last week that Disney's Fairy Weddings must become compliant with our company's business policy prohibiting [non-publicity related] outside photography and videography services within all Walt Disney World Theme Parks. By implementing this change for new weddings contracted on or after October 1, 2008, there are no current couples that will be affected. Also, this change is only for wedding events taking place within a Walt Disney World Theme Park. This change will not impact outside photography and videography services for any wedding event taking place at Disney's Wedding Pavilion and/or a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

(With regards to the bolded text...)
I understand, and I don't understand at the same time.
boggled.gif
It seems to me that Disney is creating a slippery slope for themselves. I see their point, but what happens if guests are the photographers and videographers? I've had many friends who were trying to cut costs and asked friends to do these jobs for free. What happens then? :confused:

It seems to me that they just want more control... I might even be willing to have dual rights to the pictures if I could have the ones I wanted!!!

While this doesn't actually affect me, it is so disappointing. There are apparently some DPS photographers that do quality work. But, there are at least a handful of photographers that do NOT do quality work. I had the misfortune of working with one of them. Perhaps those in charge of the theme parks who seem to be enforcing this are not aware of the shoddy work produced by some DPS photographers. I don't think my MK bridal portraits with a crooked castle are representative of the Disney product as a whole. While, at least last year, you could request a particular photographer, you were not guaranteed that photographer.

I haven't said anything on this thread because this change doesn't effect me. Disney Photography did my wedding photos and I was extremely happy with them.

But I did want to clear up what appears to be some misconceptions. You can view samples of Disney photography online at

http://www.collages.net/disneyweddings/

User Name: Disney Photography Samples

Password: 1971

Further, while Disney will not guarantee a particular photographer, you can still treat them as you would any other professional. Tell them the "style" you desire for your pictures, show them examples of shots you like, make a list of shots you "must have", "would like to have", "defiinitely don't want", and then follow through by ensuring your preferences are noted on the BEO/contract document that you receive from Disney.

In addition, TALK to your coordinator(s) and ask about PRE-purchasing options (like the CD/DVD, proofs, prints, etc). This can save some money, it probably saved me about $200 on my proofs.

I also think it's a misconception that "most" brides use outside photographers. With Disney doing well over 2000 weddings a year, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of brides use Disney for all wedding related expenses.

And finally, Disney Photographers ARE professionals (at least one of the board favorites used to work for Disney). I've seen many "negative reviews" from people who have never used Disney services.

In addition, TALK to your coordinator(s) and ask about PRE-purchasing options (like the CD/DVD, proofs, prints, etc). This can save some money, it probably saved me about $200 on my proofs.

You had to pay for your proofs??

You had to pay for your proofs??

Yes, of course that was three years ago. However they aren't just "proofs", they are regular 4x6 prints of all the shots taken for my wedding. I pre-purchased them for $225. If I had waited until after the wedding, they would have cost $5 each (about $400).

Remember, when you use Disney for the Escape package, the photography is included. Anything beyond the package elements is extra.

Yes, of course that was three years ago. However they aren't just "proofs", they are regular 4x6 prints of all the shots taken for my wedding. I pre-purchased them for $225. If I had waited until after the wedding, they would have cost $5 each (about $400).

Remember, when you use Disney for the Escape package, the photography is included. Anything beyond the package elements is extra.

So if you hire them to do a wishes wedding do the proofs come with the packages?

This is mostly where the problem lies with Disney. Randy took over 2,000 pics at my wedding and they are all printed 4x6 and in 2 albums. Plus I have the hi-res cd with every single picture on it & i can have them reproduced where ever I want.

Disney needs to be a bit more competitive in this aspect if they are going to start forcing people to use their services.

I think imo the problem with photogs is that they are very personal choices.
If you don't like certain things about your wedding for example the way your cake looks or the way your bouquet looks that's only a couple aspects of your wedding. Your wedding photos however is a way for you to preserve that whole day. The whole day you spent months sometimes years planning.

So if the result of your photos are not exactly the way you envision it, that is really tough to swallow.
Style preference as hiwaygal mention is one way to tell Disney what you like but I personally don't think it's enough. One photographer's journalistic style might be different than another.
If you can see specific photogs portfolio and choose him/her that would be better. But to just say "I like pictures with these styles" and hope that you'll get one that way WITH the price Disney charges is proposterous.
Think of lurkyloo's MK castle picture. She doesn't like it and all they could do is photoshop the pictures. And that's only $1000. What happened if you don't like your $3000+ photo package? That would be hard to take.

Even if disney say it's because they have to be careful with the images being taken, I don't believe it. Because bottom line it's about $. They are losing $ when brides choose to go with outside vendors. They can't charge thousands of dollars on the rights of the pictures and reprints and CDs. As much as I love Disney I am extremely disappointed in this move...

We just got married 3 weeks ago but I was already thinking about our VR in maybe 20 years down the road. But this got me thinking. Other than the price what other policies will change between now and then?
Maybe by then we can't have any outside vendor whatsoever when you use DFTW in any location... sigh... very disappointing.

I agree with you on the more competitive pricing! But...it's Disney, everything tends to be a little more expensive when that name is attached!;)

The information I have on the packages is old, but I'm pretty sure proofs are not included. Disney does include an album of prints with their packages and I think the newer packages have more than they used to. The packages and pricing structure for the Wishes weddings is more similar to those of the outside photographers (i.e so many hours, a certain number of prints, etc).

I did notice that on the sample website they have more information on pricing for various print sizes that are a little more expensive than Randy's but not completely out of the ball park. But I also notice they haven't published the information on the CD's.

I was lucky, I guess. I still fell under the "old" package and will get my CD later this year for $99. Even with that cost, plus the original cost of the proofs, I will have spent less on photography than if I had used an outside photographer.

There have been a lot of changes with the photography packages in just the three years since my wedding. Perhaps we'll see more!

You are correct that Disney needs to be more competitive with their photography. Our photographer told us that there are only a few DPS wedding photographers. To not have a choice of photographer or knowledge of their portfolio, I think that's a bit much to ask people to take that leap of faith on one of the most integral parts of the one event that you hope you're only doing once!

Aside from the quality of work, which we can debate all day, the quantity of product received is for the birds. I believe each of the popular outside vendors provide what many couples are looking for and are flexible on their packages. Most provide 4x6 proofs of each photo, high resolution CDs of each photo, reproduction rights, a handful of enlargements, and unlimited photos within the time you purchase. DFTW, DPS, whoever is in charge of pricing is going to have to reevaluate their product and pricing structure for this to be a successful.

Even if disney say it's because they have to be careful with the images being taken, I don't believe it. Because bottom line it's about $. They are losing $ when brides choose to go with outside vendors. They can't charge thousands of dollars on the rights of the pictures and reprints and CDs. As much as I love Disney I am extremely disappointed in this move...

See, I don't see that Disney is going to "lose" business. There will always be someone else who is ready to book and use Disney services. I don't think they are losing money when some brides (and I believe the percentage is small) use outside vendors...Disney is still making money on the dessert parties, the rooms, the wedding package itself.

Conversely, if Disney felt they were losing money because of brides using outside vendors, maybe that is a reason for some of the price increases we see so often. Perhaps limiting brides to using Disney for all services can allow them to "hold" prices on the packages for more than a year. (Yeah, I know...that's a real stretch!:rotfl: )

I think it came down to copyright issues.

While we all know that professional photographers come to Disney to take pictures, but they don't use them to advertise or promote their business. They are there because they are on vacation with family, or because they like the photo opportunities. Those photos become part of their private collection.

The outside vendors who do Disney weddings are using Disney icons (even if only as a back-drop) to advertise and promote their business and I think that's where the problem comes in.

Disney has always been extremely protective of their copyrights and I think this is just another way to enhance that protection.

I dont think the percentage of brides using outside vendors is small. Almost all of the DFTW people are on a first-name basis with Randy & Stan. In fact, while we were at our planning session, we spoke to our coordinator about paying for our vendors to eat off of the buffet instead of the deli platter, Meri informed us that they know Randy & Stan very well and they almost always let them eat from the buffet so there was no need for us to pay for anything more than the deli platter.

Our photographer for the MK shoot asked us who shot our wedding, when I told him Randy did it, even he knew who he was.

So if you hire them to do a wishes wedding do the proofs come with the packages?

This is mostly where the problem lies with Disney. Randy took over 2,000 pics at my wedding and they are all printed 4x6 and in 2 albums. Plus I have the hi-res cd with every single picture on it & i can have them reproduced where ever I want.

Disney needs to be a bit more competitive in this aspect if they are going to start forcing people to use their services.

That is why I got an outside vendor. Disney gave you absolutely nothing. I mean you can get the CD but it its low resolution and you had to pay extra money for albums and things like that. I know with Misty's largest package I am getting a ton of stuff for about half the price of Disney's 10 hour package.

Randy Chapman was a Disney photographer before he started his own business. So it doesn't surprise me that they know him, not just through his previous experience but, also with the number of weddings he does.

Disney does over 2000 weddings a year. Of that, only a small percentage find this board and the one or two other websites/boards that talk about Disney weddings. Heck, in any given year there are only about 100-200 that are on this board. That's barely 10% of the total number of weddings at Disney. And while most of the brides who post/read here do select outside vendors, some use Disney. Even if you double that number, that still leaves a very large percentage of brides who are probably just using the Disney package...but the only ones who know for sure are the folks at DFTW.

Exactly. That is probably why they don't like this board because we find out all the secrets and ways to get the best out of a Disney wedding but the majority of people know nothing about this site so they stick with Disney photography.

See, I don't see that Disney is going to "lose" business. There will always be someone else who is ready to book and use Disney services. I don't think they are losing money when some brides (and I believe the percentage is small) use outside vendors...Disney is still making money on the dessert parties, the rooms, the wedding package itself.

Conversely, if Disney felt they were losing money because of brides using outside vendors, maybe that is a reason for some of the price increases we see so often. Perhaps limiting brides to using Disney for all services can allow them to "hold" prices on the packages for more than a year. (Yeah, I know...that's a real stretch!:rotfl: )

I think it came down to copyright issues.

While we all know that professional photographers come to Disney to take pictures, but they don't use them to advertise or promote their business. They are there because they are on vacation with family, or because they like the photo opportunities. Those photos become part of their private collection.

The outside vendors who do Disney weddings are using Disney icons (even if only as a back-drop) to advertise and promote their business and I think that's where the problem comes in.

Disney has always been extremely protective of their copyrights and I think this is just another way to enhance that protection.

Actually not sure if this is true or just 1 opinion of a DFTW CM. But Disney Photography does not get as much business as they used to. The quantity of work they are doing is going down. They still do MK shoots of course because no outside photogs are allowed, but they do see a trend that brides are using outside photogs for their weddings.
Then again take this with a grain of salt. Could be just 1 person's opinion.

Regardless of the reason they are doing this change, it is still a change that mostly benefits them and not the customers. I spose you're right that this change won't create a dent in the amt of brides using DFTW just because most of them don't know about using outside vendors.

Still for brides that already know or have their own photogs this change stinks. :mad:

Normal I just kinda read the fun and great stories on here but I felt like I needed to say something on this thread. I use to work for Disney many years ago when I was on the college program and a little longer after. It was the only place I ever thought of having my wedding. I did look at other locations here on the West Coast before I picked Disney to host my event (just to humor the parents) :rotfl: . And yes in the real world sometimes in order to use those facilities you had to use their vendors and and or services.

In all honestly yes I am sure things are going to change at Disney and will keep changing. It's just the way the business world is. They have a serious brand to protect as well and it looks like per a few posts up here that they were not complient with the company's policy on this. One big change that happend at the Disney Company last year was that cast members can now receive tips! Yes! TIPS!!! I remember back when you were never allowed to recieve a tip from the guest. It's any denomination and there is no cap of how much they can receive but they do have to report it for taxes at end of the year. They even decreased their salaries since they are now allowed to recieve tips. The only reason that I know this is because many of my friends still work for the company and told me about the coast to coast meeting they had about it. And my jaw about dropped when they told me. So you know just from that things change.

So it is what it is.. If you really want those photographers then it's the old saying ;"you have to give up something for something". Yeah it may suck not having your wedding at the location you want but then don't have your wedding at Disney if you feel so strongly about it. We should stop kicking a dead horse and talk about fun things again. Like how crazy our families and friends are making us :lmao:

Anyway that is it. No I am not a Disney Cast Member.. I used to be and I really have great memories of being there. I just really hate to hear people talk bad about the company I used to work for. Maybe if I ever leave the West Coast I will go back to working for the Mouse and get some tips now.. LOL

PS~ I love all the stories on here and everyone is so great! So please don't hate me for just typing my thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter