Guests spreading Disney Magic

In Nov. 2006 my DH and I went to WDW for our 10 yr anniv. We were spending the day in Epcot and decided to have dinner at the Rose & Crown. We couldn't get inside to eat so we went to the walk up window instead. Place was pretty crowded so I went to look for a seat while my husband ordered. I found a place and put our stuff down, then went to get condiments for our dinner. While there an older gentleman (late 80s-early 90s) was wandering around looking lost and tired. I struck up a conversation by asking what was good to eat on the fish. Well, did he have the answer. I stood and talked to him until my husband came around the corner with our meals and then I said goodbye. When I reached my seat the man was still wandering around looking for a seat. I had to ask him to have dinner with us. Turns out it was my favorite part of the trip. He has been to Disney twice a year for the past twenty years with his wife, children and grandchildren. His wife had passed away that spring and he decided to continue the tradition by himself. We had the most wonderful conversation about his life, his wife and our children. An evening well spent! Makes me teary just thinking about it. I often think of him.

Last Friday afternoon when my DH and I entered MGM at approx. 3pm, a lady came up to us and asked us if we wanted the dream Fastpasses that her family wasn't going to use! They only one they rode with the passes was Star Tours! It definetely made our evening!

PS- If you haven't heard of the I Spy bottle this is what you do:
Get an empty water/pop bottle and put some rice inside, add some small things (button, confetti, penny, foam shapes, mini toy, candle, etc), add more rice and keep alternating until it is almost full. You need to leave some room for the items to move around so you can find them. Crazy glue or hot glue the lid to the bottle. Then you can find items or play other games like how many green things can you find?

What a cute idea! LOL--although with the price of rice lately this could get spendy! Might have to think of another "filler" to use! But I love the thought!

What a cute idea! LOL--although with the price of rice lately this could get spendy! Might have to think of another "filler" to use! But I love the thought!

Very cute idea! I was thinking about the shipping peanuts, I wonder if that would work.

Very cute idea! I was thinking about the shipping peanuts, I wonder if that would work.

I thought of that too--but they may not be fine enough to get the effect that I think the rice would give you--hmmm. will have to think on this one. or just go to Costco and buy rice!

I thought of that too--but they may not be fine enough to get the effect that I think the rice would give you--hmmm. will have to think on this one. or just go to Costco and buy rice!

Confetti could really be cute! Maybe I'll try that, they also make Mickey head confetti so I could mix that in with regular paper confetti.

My sisters and I always try to do something little when we go to disneyland. I don't know what it is, but Disney brings out the best in people. I hope my husband and I get the chance to do something while we are on our honeymoon in August. I think it would be a wonderful thing for us to remember our honeymoon for. I'd like to be able to get something to bring home too, to give to the rest of the soldiers in his unit when he gets back from leave. They let him on leave because he asked over a year in advance, but since the whole unit got stop lossed, no one has been able to take leave unless a family member is dying. Does anyone have any ideas of little things we could get them that would be a good boost?

My sisters and I always try to do something little when we go to disneyland. I don't know what it is, but Disney brings out the best in people. I hope my husband and I get the chance to do something while we are on our honeymoon in August. I think it would be a wonderful thing for us to remember our honeymoon for. I'd like to be able to get something to bring home too, to give to the rest of the soldiers in his unit when he gets back from leave. They let him on leave because he asked over a year in advance, but since the whole unit got stop lossed, no one has been able to take leave unless a family member is dying. Does anyone have any ideas of little things we could get them that would be a good boost?

I don't know what price point you are looking for or how many soldiers but I would think very small Mickey's sent on their behalf to their children, spouse, parents & Grandparents might be something to think about.

If you want something more general maybe Mickey pens & pads to write to loved one at home.
You could put a little photo book together with all Americana spots at Disney at that might be a nice way for people to pass a little bit of happiness & home around.

In Nov. 2006 my DH and I went to WDW for our 10 yr anniv. We were spending the day in Epcot and decided to have dinner at the Rose & Crown. We couldn't get inside to eat so we went to the walk up window instead. Place was pretty crowded so I went to look for a seat while my husband ordered. I found a place and put our stuff down, then went to get condiments for our dinner. While there an older gentleman (late 80s-early 90s) was wandering around looking lost and tired. I struck up a conversation by asking what was good to eat on the fish. Well, did he have the answer. I stood and talked to him until my husband came around the corner with our meals and then I said goodbye. When I reached my seat the man was still wandering around looking for a seat. I had to ask him to have dinner with us. Turns out it was my favorite part of the trip. He has been to Disney twice a year for the past twenty years with his wife, children and grandchildren. His wife had passed away that spring and he decided to continue the tradition by himself. We had the most wonderful conversation about his life, his wife and our children. An evening well spent! Makes me teary just thinking about it. I often think of him.

KUDOS for you. Too often we disregard our senior citizenry. I love this story. I wish we all could be this kindhearted and accepting in general society. Imagine the affect!:goodvibes

My Dad leaves for Iraq early next week and I can tell you eventhough I am not little anymore it is really hard. I would definately say something small for their kids or spouses. I am sure that would bring more happiness for the soldiers. Hmm... how about going to guest relations when you are there and see if they have any suggestions? They might be able to think of some Magic that wouldn't cost you a fortune.

I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and your husband and his unit stays safe.

Oh one more idea. Do they have bricks at Disneyland? or something like that. You could do it in the unit's honor and take a pic and have it framed for them maybe.

My Dad leaves for Iraq early next week and I can tell you eventhough I am not little anymore it is really hard. I would definately say something small for their kids or spouses. I am sure that would bring more happiness for the soldiers. Hmm... how about going to guest relations when you are there and see if they have any suggestions? They might be able to think of some Magic that wouldn't cost you a fortune.

I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and your husband and his unit stays safe.

Oh one more idea. Do they have bricks at Disneyland? or something like that. You could do it in the unit's honor and take a pic and have it framed for them maybe.

I'm sorry about your dad....it never does seem to get easier....

I love the brick idea....I think things for the families back home would be really nice too.

Thank everyone for the wonderful ideas. You guys are already spreading the disney cheer my way!

Today I was at AK with a roommate and a family gave us their necklaces of dream fastpasses! We were soooooo excited! They were leaving for the day and too scared to ride EE so we ran into line and bypassed the 40 min wait :) It was so nice of them.

On our first day at the Magic Kingdom during our latest trip (May 22-31), a family bought our breakfast at Crystal Palace with their unused meal tickets from their DDP. We were just amazed! My dh and I, without even talking about it, decided we would have to do something cool for a family sometime during our trip.

Just as our "dream family" bestowed that wonderful gift during their last day at the park, we also gave a little gift our last day. We got fastpasses for a ride for a family of 4, and the fastpasses were for a time long after we had to leave. So, when a lady came up to me and asked if "Toy Story Mania" was worth the wait--it was opening day, afterall, so the lines were 90 minutes--I asked if she had ever ridden it. She said no, and when she told me she had 2 boys and herself and dh, I was very happy to hand over our fastpasses. I told her to definitely come back that night to ride TSM, and that it was Definitely worth it. Then, our family stood in that 90 minute line and rode TSM--for the ninth time that week. I think we were MUCH happier to have given her the fastpasses than she was--though she had a huge smile on her face when we parted.

We've given our glow necklaces away too.

This past October, we were standing in line for the Hoop dee do review and there was a cute little princess dressed as Cinderella. I fawned over her and asked if she was the REAL Cinderella. She was very shy, but signed her name when I asked for her autograph. When she wasnt looking, I tore it out of my book and passed it to her mom. I hope the took it home for their scrapbook.

I am going to have to sit down and read the whole thing when I have more time.

Some things we have done are to buy Disney stickers and snacks (sometimes at the grocery store you can find princess fruit snacks, etc.) and give them to kids waiting in line. It is SO hard to wait in line. Whenever we order tickets with AAA, we always give those pins away. One year we went on a tour at DL and a WDW cast member was on the tour with us. She had come to California with a friend, but her friend had an emergency and had to leave. It was our last day, but we invited the CM to hang out with us the rest of the day, and then I gave her my DL guide books to enjoy for the rest of her trip.

For my upcoming trip (in TWO weeks) :santa: I have little stockings with Mickey Mouse dum dum flavored candy canes (like the dum dum suckers) and little flashing Christmas pins with notes to extra helpful cast members, but I think I will make enough to give out here and there in the park as well.

Also, when I am standing in line before rope drop, I usually end up talking to guests who have never been to Disney before, and I try to give them my best tips - how to use fp, what to see, what to avoid, etc

That was pretty cool. I hope these stories continue.

We've given our glow necklaces away too.

This past October, we were standing in line for the Hoop dee do review and there was a cute little princess dressed as Cinderella. I fawned over her and asked if she was the REAL Cinderella. She was very shy, but signed her name when I asked for her autograph. When she wasnt looking, I tore it out of my book and passed it to her mom. I hope the took it home for their scrapbook.

We gave away our Toy Story Mania fast passes to a family just entering the park in the afternoon. The fast passes for the day were long gone and we had to leave for our ADRs before we could use them, but these folks could take a leisurely walk back and walk right on.

I had a very wonderful woman help me at DTD. DH and I were waiting in line for a bus back to POP. We were near the front of the line. Somehow a second line started, going in the opposite direction. I'm not one to stress and naively assumed that we would still be able to get on the bus. As I started to climb in a woman actually grabbed me by the back of my shirt and pulled me off the bus. I twisted my ankle something awful and could not get back up. Nobody seemed to care as they all started walking around me to board.

Finally a very nice woman from Australia stopped and help dh get me over to the bench. We waited there for the next bus. The woman waited at the front and when the next bus arrived, she explained what happened so I was able to hobble on before the crowd. When we got off at the resort, she went and got a wheelchair while Dh helped me off the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter