Haleakala sunrise or sunset?

I

How early did you arrive for the actual sunset? If sunset is 7:15, when would you suggest we be at the entrance of the park? We will want to take some time getting to the top.
I’m trying to figure out timing since we have a couple stops earlier in the day.

Thanks!!
It was back in 2013 so I don't remember exact times. Looking at the metadata for the photos we were at 8000 feet taking pictures of the kids at 4:36pm Hawaii time. We were there on April 11th. Based on the metadata again it appears sunset around 6:45pm. I seem to remember having just over an hour to kill before sunset at the top. It was almost enough time to walk some of the trails but not quite enough.

Hope that helps.

I

How early did you arrive for the actual sunset? If sunset is 7:15, when would you suggest we be at the entrance of the park? We will want to take some time getting to the top.
I’m trying to figure out timing since we have a couple stops earlier in the day.

Thanks!!
There aren't many places to stop on the way up; the views aren't that different. But the drive does take a bit. We google mapped it, and I remember it was right on, so you might do that to figure your actual drive time. Seems like it took 45 min or so from the gate. It's a very nice road but the curves make it slow.

It sounds like you're going to choose the sunset and I just wanted to add that I agree with that decision. My husband and I did the sunrise years ago and although it was beautiful it was windy and freezing. We then biked down the whole way. It was fun but having kids now there's no way I would take them when they are young. Happy planning, it'll be great!

It sounds like you're going to choose the sunset and I just wanted to add that I agree with that decision. My husband and I did the sunrise years ago and although it was beautiful it was windy and freezing. We then biked down the whole way. It was fun but having kids now there's no way I would take them when they are young. Happy planning, it'll be great!
Thank you for the encouragement! We have decided on sunset and are feeling good about the decision especially for the 1 yr. old. Having him all out of routine could impact the rest of the day(s). (However, we aren’t sure how HI time differences will affect him either.:confused3). We will take things as they come! It sounds like God’s creation will be breathtaking either way!

What kind of weather should we prepare for at sunset? Winter coats, gloves, hats or sweatshirts?
We plan to watch the stars for a bit, too!

What kind of weather should we prepare for at sunset? Winter coats, gloves, hats or sweatshirts?
We plan to watch the stars for a bit, too!
It got cold quick. We were there in April and it was in the low 30’s soon after sunset.

The NPS page has all the average temps, but it was 50 degrees with a 20 mph wind when we were there at 10 am on a sunny June day! Brr!!

The NPS page has all the average temps, but it was 50 degrees with a 20 mph wind when we were there at 10 am on a sunny June day! Brr!!
Thank you for the weather advice!!
Looking like we will need some layers!
And I thought we’d get away with all shorts and Ts for our HI vacation!

Thank you for the weather advice!!
Looking like we will need some layers!
And I thought we’d get away with all shorts and Ts for our HI vacation!
Now do NOT do what we did and haul 4 hoodies 4000 miles and then leave them in the room!!! Because there was exactly one style hoodie for sale in the park and between both shops, they were all XLs. At $60 each, with none of us needing that size, we just had to be cold!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter