Have you looked at your school records?

Have you ever looked at your school records?

• Total voters

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Have you ever looked at your school records? Not your transcripts, but all the notes your teachers wrote about you in your school file from Kindergarten to 12th grade? I remember when I started College several of my classmates had made appointments to review their permanent records, so were not happy with what their teachers had said.
I never have, and next year marks 50 years since I graduated from High School I guess it might be interesting to get a look at how others looked at you as you were growing up. Kind of a time capsule. The District headquarters is 2 blocks from where I have lived for the past 41 years so I wouldn't have to go far to do it. And checking, at least in California those records are legally required to be kept forever. Probably all scanned into computer files years ago.

I haven’t. But I was once not long ago in a very old school in a forgotten area and found box’s of report cards and records from the 1920’s. It was very interesting to look through.

I do have all my old report cards because my mom kept them. Those have the notes from the teachers. But what is maintained long-term is basically the transcript. By state law the rest can be purged after 5 years. The district usually puts out a notice that any student wanting their records needs to contact by X date. It used to be in the newspaper; I honestly haven't paid much attention in recent years. Though last spring all graduates received a thick folder of their student records at graduation rehearsal -- maybe that's how they do it now.

I do have all my old report cards because my mom kept them. Those have the notes from the teachers. But what is maintained long-term is basically the transcript. By state law the rest can be purged after 5 years. The district usually puts out a notice that any student wanting their records needs to contact by X date. It used to be in the newspaper; I honestly haven't paid much attention in recent years. Though last spring all graduates received a thick folder of their student records at graduation rehearsal -- maybe that's how they do it now.
Not in California. They are forever records. They never can be purged.

Mandatory Permanent Pupil Records must be stored permanently—not necessarily as paper documents in a file folder or box, because California law permits electronic storage—but a school district or independent charter school LEA must keep this type of record for all students in perpetuity (forever) (5 CCR § 432(b)(1)).

https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/st/

Not in California. They are forever records. They never can be purged.
https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/st/
That link does not support your statement.

ETA: so you added to your post after I quoted it. But the paragraph you added did not come from the same link. And it only refers to "mandatory" records which basically is your transcript. It doesn't necessarily mean you can see teacher's notes, attendance, etc.

No idea if there ever was such a thing as a 'permanent record'. Always thought that was used as a threat against unruly students to keep them in line. Even if they kept such a thing, who exactly would ever have a need to see them? Can a potential employer request them or only the person whose records those are? If that school closes/goes out of business, where exactly do they send these 'records'? If it has been 20 or more years since you attended some school, who cares?

Grades, transcripts, years attended and similar factual information seems different to me then notes/opinions from teachers/etc.

I have looked back every now and then when packing things up to downsize. Admittedly, I am mostly amused by my HS collection of demerits for some very silly things, unfortunately, I have a very expressive face sooooo - demerits for stuff like too much jewelry or quitter socks sliding down and being out of uniform.

That link does not support your statement.

ETA: so you added to your post after I quoted it. But the paragraph you added did not come from the same link. And it only refers to "mandatory" records which basically is your transcript. It doesn't necessarily mean you can see teacher's notes, attendance, etc.
Look up the law I mentioned. The link is just background on California education laws.

I couldn’t care any less about my school records if I tried. It will be 50 years for me next year too. I remember my parents going to class reunions right up to their 50th reunion. I went to a 5 year reunion when a friend pressured me into it. The only classmate I have any contact with is my BIL. BIL & I were just acquaintances, not really friends, in school, I met my husband after graduation. The permanent record thing has always been a joke around here. No one I know has ever expressed any need or desire to go back & look thru school records.

No idea if there ever was such a thing as a 'permanent record'. Always thought that was used as a threat against unruly students to keep them in line. Even if they kept such a thing, who exactly would ever have a need to see them? Can a potential employer request them or only the person whose records those are? If that school closes/goes out of business, where exactly do they send these 'records'? If it has been 20 or more years since you attended some school, who cares?

Grades, transcripts, years attended and similar factual information seems different to me then notes/opinions from teachers/etc.
I believe the former student is the only one who can access their record.
I guess the only thing I would be interested in is what my 4th Grade Teacher wrote when my dad died. I know some of my classmates said the Principal came to talk to my class about my dad passing away while I was on bereavement leave from school. I think I handled the situation as well as any 9 year old could, but like researching genealogy records, there could be some surprises.

I couldn’t care any less about my school records if I tried. It will be 50 years for me next year too. I remember my parents going to class reunions right up to their 50th reunion. I went to a 5 year reunion when a friend pressured me into it. The only classmate I have any contact with is my BIL. BIL & I were just acquaintances, not really friends, in school, I met my husband after graduation. The permanent record thing has always been a joke around here. No one I know has ever expressed any need or desire to go back & look thru school records.
I sure don't recall my kids talking about looking at their permanent record. Although my son is in the middle of trying to get his University transcript and they have no record of him ever going to school there! It has been 14 years since he last attended, but he was a full time student for five consecutive years.

Our report cards were the highlight (or nadir) of family get togethers, mostly in elementary school.
Everybody got to see and comment on them until somewhere around jhs for older sister when she put her foot down, metaphorically, LOL.
I’m sure the end of the practice made youngest sister very happy….

I sure don't recall my kids talking about looking at their permanent record. Although my son is in the middle of trying to get his University transcript and they have no record of him ever going to school there! It has been 14 years since he last attended, but he was a full time student for five consecutive years.

As I said, no one I know, of any age has ever talked about looking at their school records. My kids would think I lost my mind if I told them I wanted to go look at mine. And they wouldn’t be wrong.

As I said, no one I know, of any age has ever talked about looking at their school records. My kids would think I lost my mind if I told them I wanted to go look at mine. And they wouldn’t be wrong.
Like I said, I haven't heard anyone talk about it since my College years, 1975-79. No sure why it popped in my mind. But you can still do it apparently if you so desire.

I did, as a lark, a few years ago. I kind of always thought the "permanent record" was just something they threatened... nope it existed! I wondered what exactly was in there, and what kind of scores I had for my ACT and IQ. Had to go to the high school I had graduated from 20+ years prior. One of the counselors had to sit with me/show it to me. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I saw now. :laughing:

No need to see mine, might be interesting to see what kind of remarks were made about people who are now well known. "Mrs. Joel, Billy continues to struggle in his music class. Perhaps he should consider woodshop next semester." :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter