Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

You're not going to get an official word from anyone regarding if you need it or not. If rental companies really decide to enforce this they would have to put a notice when making the booking as well as in your rental agreement and its just not there. As well as email anyone with a reservation that holds an international DL to inform them of the change.

Hundreds of people rent cars every day in florida and a good amount of them are Canadian. We would have heard by now if someone was refused a car.

BUT, bottom line, if you want to be 100%, spend the 35 bucks or whatever and get one.

Really? Cause when I called they didnt tell me that.

I spoke to someone at the Orlando airport location this afternoon. We put off calling hoping things would settle down and it not be needed. No such luck and we are not going to chance it. Getting the IDL tommorrow as we leave next week.

I spoke to someone at the Orlando airport location this afternoon. We put off calling hoping things would settle down and it not be needed. No such luck and we are not going to chance it. Getting the IDL tommorrow as we leave next week.

You want to do us all a favor and be a little sly about it? When you go to pick up your car next week don't tell them you have an IDP. Keep it in your pocket and don't inform them you have it. When and if they ask you for it play dumb and ask what it is and see if they look like there going to deny you a car. Then be like BAM!!! I got my IDP, here ya go.

Report back here in a week. :)

You want to do us all a favor and be a little sly about it? When you go to pick up your car next week don't tell them you have an IDP. Keep it in your pocket and don't inform them you have it. When and if they ask you for it play dumb and ask what it is and see if they look like there going to deny you a car. Then be like BAM!!! I got my IDP, here ya go.

Report back here in a week. :)

YES! That would be a great idea... such a load of garbage this whole thing is!!

I will do it for sure, but my trip is not until may. I encourage anyone else to please do this and report back,

As of right now it is the law and a IDP is strongly recommended. Rental agencies were enforcing it when I was there last week.

As of right now it is the law and a IDP is strongly recommended. Rental agencies were enforcing it when I was there last week.

I guess we are making a rush trip and hour and a half away then today, then start driving after that to Niagara. We had a friend rent from Dollar last week and said they had no problems and they never asked for anything.

I guess at this point for all those March Break vacationers (we leave Monday) you have to decide how much risk you are okay with. I called my insurance company (The Personal) and they said that I would be covered without an IDP. I called Avis and they said they would rent to me without an IDP. So to that end I am satisfied and won't get one.

This said, I get the concern. If something happens can people use that as a loophole. I'm not a judge but would think that in this case with all the media around it should something happen that ended up in the courts that the courts would not allow this to be used as an excuse. I can't be sure, but that seems logical to me. So I guess what I am saying is that I am taking my chances!

Is it overkill to buy what is essentially insurance on my existing insurance, maybe - but for the minimal cost, it's not worth my having that nagging worry in the back of my mind each time I go behind the wheel when I'm down in FL next month.

My broader concern is that I am sensing a complacency by some on this board about how we think the insurance companies will treat us under this law. If I'm involved in an accident, do I think my Canadian insurer will come thru for me - probably. What sends my spidey sense off the scale is having a US insurer deny coverage/refuse to pay a claim because I was in violation of the law by not having the IDP.

Yes it's a stupid law, and yes the cost of the IDP is likely wasted money, but why would I put my family and my personal finances at risk for the cost of a couple of turkey legs and dole whips. I'm a lawyer, and I didn't even have to think twice about this one - the law is what the law is, at least until the FL legislature comes back later in the spring to amend it.

We are at Disney right now. We rented a car from Alamo at WDW and we had no problems. We are from Ontario and did not have the special license. My DH asked if it was an issue and they said "no".

For any Manitobans, I had written to MPI about their position a few days ago. I had no email back, but this was posted on their home page today:

February 28, 2013

Advisory – Manitoba Driver’s Licence Acceptable in the State of Florida

Recently, Manitoba media outlets reported that visitors to Florida required an International Driver’s Permit.

We were able to confirm through the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators, that a valid Manitoba driver’s licence would be acceptable in the state of Florida. This applies to all drivers, including commercial carriers.

Manitoba Public Insurance will not deny coverage on the sole basis that a Manitoba driver was unauthorized to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Florida due to the absence of an International Drivers’ Permit.

Recently, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) released a statement on their website, www.flhsmv.gov, advising drivers that this new law may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Although no legislative changes can be enacted until July 2013 at the earliest, FLHSMV has elected to defer enforcement of this law until it can be reviewed.

© 2013 Manitoba Public Insurance

Given this info, I won't be picking up an IDP.

Just wanted t give everyone an update. We did get an IDP, however we did not tell the rental car company, Alamo (connected also with Enterprise and National). We got the car on Friday no problem and was not asked for an international license only our Ontario DL. My parents whom live here are reporting that the law has been cancelled and was waiting for a signature that was so soppose to happen this week. Having a great time, but wishing it was alot warmer! I think I prefer the fall! Really busy as well, but has been manageable with good planning!:cool1:

Hi!
Got home yesterday after driving to WDW with our minivan (with Quebec plates) and had absolutely no problem. They will probably force us to get an IDP later on, as ours are in French, but we're glad we didn't make the dash to the CAA office to get ones before we left as it wasn't an issue on the roads at all. Of course, we weren't pulled over for anything so we'll never know if it would've been a problem...;)

Florida is repealing the bill covering the Internation Driver's license for Canadians today. Channel 13 has announced that it will specifically be for Canadians, but did not mention how Quebec licenses would be affected. I will try to post the results of the changes to the legislation as it becomes available today, but I imagine that it will be covered in the Orlando Sentinel tomorrow! :thumbsup2

Just wanted t give everyone an update. We did get an IDP, however we did not tell the rental car company, Alamo (connected also with Enterprise and National). We got the car on Friday no problem and was not asked for an international license only our Ontario DL. My parents whom live here are reporting that the law has been cancelled and was waiting for a signature that was so soppose to happen this week. Having a great time, but wishing it was alot warmer! I think I prefer the fall! Really busy as well, but has been manageable with good planning!:cool1:

Sweet Lisa - thanks so much.

We leave on March 28 and I've held off this long, it was really just the principle of the whole thing that was making me mad vs. the $40 (x2 as my husband wants to drive too).

Florida is repealing the bill covering the Internation Driver's license for Canadians today. Channel 13 has announced that it will specifically be for Canadians, but did not mention how Quebec licenses would be affected. I will try to post the results of the changes to the legislation as it becomes available today, but I imagine that it will be covered in the Orlando Sentinel tomorrow! :thumbsup2

Good stuff cey, we'll watch for it!

I work in the insurance industry - we were advised that on February 14th 2013, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issued a statement announcing that this requirement for an International Driving Permit (IDP) wouldn’t be enforced pending a final determination of whether the amendment violates the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the US is a signatory.

Until that decision is made, automobile insurance will not be affected.

That means if you have a #27 rider or endorsement (Legal Liability for Non Owned Auto) on your personal automobile insurance you do not need to buy additional physical damage insurance from any rental agency - unless you do not want to pay the deductible associated with the physical damage (all perils or collision/comp) you have on your policy.

Also, some credit cards offer protection for damage to rental vehicle up to a specified limit (such as $50,000 or $75,000).

Rental companies want you to buy their physical damage coverage, even if you are covered - why? To pay for THEIR deductible with the premiums they charge.

If in doubt - call your broker - that is what they are there for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter