HELP! ABD by Japan - major changes to itinerary.

Our wonderful group of people learned that food from the 7/11 is actually good in Japan and I would say everyone in our group bought 7/11 food on a regular basis.
No joke, I think the rice balls (onigiri) and fried chicken from 7/11 are two of the most widely eaten foods in all of Japan. So many people living in cities will buy these on the way to work for breakfast and lunch since they're about $1 each and 2 or 3 of them will fill you up.

Hi, I am not one to ever reply on a public forum but I just created a log in just to reply to your post. I felt compelled to share my recent experience with you so you can be prepared for your trip. I apologize if this is long but I will try to help you as much as I can. I recently returned from the trip and I traveled with my husband and 14 year old son. Our trip had changes as well and we were NEVER informed in any way. Where to begin: be prepared to be hungry. The food is challenging to say the least. Breakfast at the Hyatt is fabulous so fill up and bring some pastries for later in the day. You will need them! I consider us to be fairly adventurous eaters and I will tell you the food was difficult. We quickly learned that purchasing a sandwich from the hyatt and taking it with us for the day was one solution. Our wonderful group of people learned that food from the 7/11 is actually good in Japan and I would say everyone in our group bought 7/11 food on a regular basis.

Kyoto was lovely but expect to see a lot of temples. They begin to all look alike and all the teens on the trip were done with temples half way through the trip. The day you go to Hiroshima was way too long of a day. I am not sure if every trip gets back to the hotel at 11 pm but we were all exhausted and all agreed we spent way too much time "killing time" in very touristy little spots around the island near Hiroshima. In fact, I have a friend doing the trip in July and I advised her to go on her own if she wants to hit Hiroshima and then leave early without the group. She is doing just that.That day was exhausting and just way too long. And if I am honest not that enjoyable. Although, the museum was interesting and well done, graphic but nothing we felt was over the top there. We too were excited by the oragami experience. It was nothing. We didn't learn or do origami. We heard a brief bit about the reason so many kids and adults create crane origami. So if you're interested in an origami lesson you may want to pursue that on your own. I would have really enjoyed an origami lesson.

As far as Tokyo, it was a wonderful safe city. We did a ton on our own. We did buy tickets to the Teamlab Planets on our own. It was fabulous. I highly recommend it. But I will say if anyone in your group has a physical disability it will be almost impossible to manage. You must be steady on your feet and can manage flashing lights. We went with a big group from our trip and we all loved it. We also all agreed we can see why some disney guests that are older or disabled might find it way too much. We also did Shubuya crossing on our own. It was basically a very large intersection in the city and you can absolutely weave that into any free time in Tokyo. It was fun picture taking but not a must do.

we were also given a last minute switch of hotels in Takayama. To tell you this hotel was vile is an understatement. Disney should be ashamed they even put us up there. There was some issue with the original hotel in Takayama but only for our week so you won't have the same issue. This one was hard to choke down. My son who goes to camp in the woods for a few weeks each summer even commented how disgusting this hotel was and we are NOT hotel snobs. So I share this with you to let you know you weren't the only one that got a bait and switch with things.

So my best advice to you is DO NOT be afraid to take a break from the group and opt out of some temples or activities. Many in our group did. They would meet up at other times with the group or did their own thing for the day or half day. Bring snacks and more snacks from home. You will need them.

I am not sharing this info to scare you, I am sharing it with you so you are prepared. I wish I had read all this before I went so I was more prepped. All this said, we had a wonderful group of families on our trip. Our guides were lovely and i felt their frustration as well as they worked so hard to make everything go smoothly. We did have a wonderful time and enjoyed Japan very much. The people were kind and the environment feels safe, welcoming and clean. Even though there were too many snafus for our taste I would say we still came away happy we went and experienced the country of Japan along with meeting absolutely lovely families. Good luck and I hope this was helpful

First off, I am sorry to read your experience was not what it should have been. I am surprised to read that you found yourself hungry throughout the trip. In my group we have an ongoing joke about ABD trips and it's "Oh no 20 minutes must have passed because they're trying to feed us again." DH and I do not have food allergies and neither of us has an aversion to food and are pretty adventurous eaters, willing to try anything for the most part. So of course that is one factor.

Of the 11 ABD trips we have done, we ranked Japan number two in terms of food options and food quality. China was number 1 in that respect.

I can see how several snafus and unexpected hotel changes would negatively impact a trip. Sorry you experienced that. We had an unexpected hotel change in China that was not up to par for the quality one expected on that trip. Our room came with some "adult amenities" and it was an adults only trip. So we laughed it off and were ribbing the guides about it all week.

Tokyo is very easy OYO and we did a pre ABD Tokyo stay and did some exploring for a couple of days and had blast. I did feel the trip experiences overall was absolutely worth it and one of our favorites. Now we did do an adults only trip and of course that may have changed the vibe as we did not have kids and teens that were bored. Just wanted to add a different perspective. I am glad you shared yours. It's good to temper one's expectations in case things go sideways.

I'm curious to know what specifically about the food you found difficult. I visited Japan for several weeks in high school when I was a far less adventurous eater and did not struggle to find options that I enjoyed. Generally speaking, my experience with Japanese food is that it's pretty varied and largely approachable, so save some specific dietary restrictions (a soy allergy would be tough, and a strict vegan diet would also be challenging) I would expect most people will be able to find things to eat there. I don't want to minimize your experience, everyone has different tastes and comfort levels when it comes to food, I just also wouldn't want future travelers to go into a trip apprehensive about Japanese cuisine without knowing the specifics of what made the food situation challenging.

I will say that when I was there I did find myself getting hungry between meals more than I did at home, and I think that was mostly attributable to the smaller portion size. The food at convenience stores in Japan IS fantastic and abundant - personally, I highly recommend the onigiri (stuffed rice balls) for a quick and filling snack if you find yourself at a 7-11. Also, if you're like me and enjoy iced tea, be aware that most bottled iced tea in Japan is unsweetened, which can be jarring if you're not expecting it. If you're a soda drinker, Japanese peach Fanta is one of my favorite sodas of all time. I also highly suggest trying a canned Boss coffee from a vending machine. Honestly though, I think Japan has all of us beat as far as their snack game goes. I still fantasize about things I ate in Japan that just came out of vending machines or from convenience stores.
Well I am laughing that you are still craving some food from the 7/11. We did have some folks that said the same thing!! It is a bit hard to articulate exactly what the food issue was. Our night that they changed hotels on us the dinner was not edible. We all went down to 7/11 for "dinner". But nobody else will have that problem bc you wont be put in that hotel. The portions were small but that was expected. I also want to be clear I am a petite woman so large quantities isn't something I typically need or desire. The food was just lacking. Quantity and quality. Tokyo was a food dream and we ate a lot on our own in Tokyo. We are adventurous sushi eaters and did expect more fish. With Disney there were no sushi meals of any kind. So we pursued those on our own. Lots of fried food and meats. No real veggies or salad so don't expect that either. Many people on our trip were very frustrated with the food, so I know it wasn't just us. I am sorry I can't be more specific its hard to put into words.
Also this was our 5th ABD and the first one we were disappointed in. So I wouldn't take it off the table for our future travel, this trip just had lots of misses. I hope yours is smoother and our guides were taking tons of notes so I wouldn't be surprised if some changes were made after our return.

Well I am laughing that you are still craving some food from the 7/11. We did have some folks that said the same thing!! It is a bit hard to articulate exactly what the food issue was. Our night that they changed hotels on us the dinner was not edible. We all went down to 7/11 for "dinner". But nobody else will have that problem bc you wont be put in that hotel. The portions were small but that was expected. I also want to be clear I am a petite woman so large quantities isn't something I typically need or desire. The food was just lacking. Quantity and quality. Tokyo was a food dream and we ate a lot on our own in Tokyo. We are adventurous sushi eaters and did expect more fish. With Disney there were no sushi meals of any kind. So we pursued those on our own. Lots of fried food and meats. No real veggies or salad so don't expect that either. Many people on our trip were very frustrated with the food, so I know it wasn't just us. I am sorry I can't be more specific its hard to put into words.
Also this was our 5th ABD and the first one we were disappointed in. So I wouldn't take it off the table for our future travel, this trip just had lots of misses. I hope yours is smoother and our guides were taking tons of notes so I wouldn't be surprised if some changes were made after our return.
I'm not actually booked on a Japan ABD currently, but it's one I'm considering in the future. I just know that I had a great culinary experience when I was in Japan (and most people I know that have been to Japan have felt similarly), and I know that other posters here on past Japan ABD have felt that the food was good, so I was surprised to hear that the food was a challenging aspect. It's unfortunate to hear that the frustration was shared amongst a lot of the group, I'm curious about what may have changed (besides that one hotel, which as you've said, should not be an issue going forward). I am also a petite woman, so large quantities are also not something I usually seek out, but I will say that despite that I was always ready to eat when I was in Japan. I think there are two factors - Japanese food tends to be of the sort that will fill you up fast but won't keep you full for long, and when I was in Japan I was doing a lot of walking, so I was probably burning calories faster than I do at home.

I'm not particularly surprised that Disney doesn't include a sushi meal, as there are a lot of people for whom sushi remains a hard sell, but I do wish they included one with alternate options for people who aren't interested in sushi. My mom is not into raw fish, but she's really enjoyed it at more upscale sushi restaurants, and I think a lot of people who are turned off by the idea of sushi might enjoy it when it's very fresh and prepared well. Japan also does love its fried food (though I find it to be a lot lighter and less greasy than typical American fried food), so I'm not hugely surprised to hear there was a lot of that.

I'm glad you got to enjoy some great food in Tokyo on your own! It does sadden me that the food was so disappointing only because I feel like Japan is such a great culinary destination and it seems as though that could be played up more on the itinerary.

Thank you for providing a response - I know I appreciate the insight and I'm sure others will as well.

Boy, it really sounds like the food on this ABD has changed *a lot* since pre-pandemic! We had a lot of hibachi and sukiyaki type of meals, and I don't recall any meals being fried foods. Very interesting. I do know they got rid of the sushi making class (although the sushi was California rolls, which to my knowledge aren't exactly authentic Japanese sushi). It was actually the *only* meal I felt I needed to supplement, but that's because I basically don't eat rice, so my sushi was pretty sparse. ABD had provided us with the option to order a sandwich to supplement/replace that meal.

We had some *great* meals on my Japan trip (the Hibachi dinner at Suzuya in Takayama was fabulous), a couple of OK meals, but nothing bad. I hope ABD is paying attention and gets things back to where it was before. Perhaps some of the places we went to eat haven't re-opened yet? It's too bad they apparently weren't able to come up with comparable meals. I hope it improves quickly!

The Japan ABD is my all-time favorite ABD, it would be awful if I had to stop recommending it due to too many changes!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Boy, it really sounds like the food on this ABD has changed *a lot* since pre-pandemic! We had a lot of hibachi and sukiyaki type of meals, and I don't recall any meals being fried foods. Very interesting. I do know they got rid of the sushi making class (although the sushi was California rolls, which to my knowledge aren't exactly authentic Japanese sushi). It was actually the *only* meal I felt I needed to supplement, but that's because I basically don't eat rice, so my sushi was pretty sparse. ABD had provided us with the option to order a sandwich to supplement/replace that meal.

We had some *great* meals on my Japan trip (the Hibachi dinner at Suzuya in Takayama was fabulous), a couple of OK meals, but nothing bad. I hope ABD is paying attention and gets things back to where it was before. Perhaps some of the places we went to eat haven't re-opened yet? It's too bad they apparently weren't able to come up with comparable meals. I hope it improves quickly!

The Japan ABD is my all-time favorite ABD, it would be awful if I had to stop recommending it due to too many changes!

Sayhello
I also suspected that maybe some of the change in food quality was due to the fact that Japan is still in the early stages of reopening to tourists and there just aren't as many options available as there were pre-closure.

That's funny about the California rolls - definitely not authentic Japanese sushi, but something that's going to be appealing to a broader range of palates. And even if the fillings aren't traditional/authentic, if it was a hands-on activity the method of making the rolls is at least still authentic!

Sayhello
The food in ABD Australia had similar issues as the complaints here about Japan. I do wonder if it is a post Covid issue. I will try one more ABD and if the food issue remains I won’t be rebooking as that is important to us.

The food in ABD Australia had similar issues as the complaints here about Japan. I do wonder if it is a post Covid issue. I will try one more ABD and if the food issue remains I won’t be rebooking as that is important to us.
So I have no other ABD for comparison, but I was on a Norway ABD last summer (2022) and we didn't find the food to be lacking in any way and I wasn't aware of any complaints about the food from our group as a whole. The breakfast buffet at every hotel was fantastic (I thought the first one was good and they literally kept getting better), and all of the other ABD provided meals were very good. I'm really into food, so I wouldn't have any problem saying if it wasn't up to par. I think it's very likely that these issues are specific to certain itineraries.

I lived in Japan for 2 years in the 90's and heck to the yes on onigiri. I'm still craving them. And yes, the food there is generally really good, with enough meat cutlet, rice/noodles to keep anyone happy.

I'm quasi vegetarian, a foodie, and will eat most anything. I don't love big hunks of meat (steak, chicken breast, pork loin, etc) as it just not my thing and have noticed that on many group tours the food planned to the lowest common denominator, i.e. hunk of meat and starch, as that's what usually appeals to the largest number of people. I find myself scrounging for garnishes some meals just to get some green veggies in me.

(FWIW I'm not totally against meat and I've seen too many vegetarian meals served that were a pile of potatoes, rice, and peas to want to ask for vegetarian across the board.)

My in-laws came to Japan while we lived there, and frequently snuck out to Burger King because the food was "too weird."

I've not done an ABD, but maybe there was enough feedback from those who weren't adventurous eaters?

I would just say try one in a country that has been re-opened post-pandemic for a while. Both Japan and Australia have not been re-opened that long (along with New Zealand). Staffing issues are still an issue in those countries, so a lot is not "back to normal" yet.

That said, not all ABDs are known for good food. Some are (Greece and China had great food!) and some are not (Iceland really was not able to handle large groups, even pre-pandemic). That's definitely one of the considerations if you're picking an ABD and food is an important factor for you.

I think it's very likely that these issues are specific to certain itineraries.
In my experience, you are very right.

Sayhello

In my experience, you are very right.
I'm really curious to see how Germany will be. I am a bit of a German food enthusiast, and it sounds like a lot of the meals include beer, which is nice because I'd imagine that's a big draw for a lot of people.

I lived in Japan for 2 years in the 90's and heck to the yes on onigiri. I'm still craving them. And yes, the food there is generally really good, with enough meat cutlet, rice/noodles to keep anyone happy.

I'm quasi vegetarian, a foodie, and will eat most anything. I don't love big hunks of meat (steak, chicken breast, pork loin, etc) as it just not my thing and have noticed that on many group tours the food planned to the lowest common denominator, i.e. hunk of meat and starch, as that's what usually appeals to the largest number of people. I find myself scrounging for garnishes some meals just to get some green veggies in me.

(FWIW I'm not totally against meat and I've seen too many vegetarian meals served that were a pile of potatoes, rice, and peas to want to ask for vegetarian across the board.)

My in-laws came to Japan while we lived there, and frequently snuck out to Burger King because the food was "too weird."

I've not done an ABD, but maybe there was enough feedback from those who weren't adventurous eaters?
I

Same experience with Australia. Unhealthy and little choice for vegetables for lunch and dinners. Breakfast since it was a buffet was the only chance to eat something that wasn’t fries or meat. I wonder if asking for vegetarian meals are an option? Has anyone asked for vegetarian meals on ABD’s and how was that experience?

I

Same experience with Australia. Unhealthy and little choice for vegetables for lunch and dinners. Breakfast since it was a buffet was the only chance to eat something that wasn’t fries or meat. I wonder if asking for vegetarian meals prior to a trip are an option? Has anyone asked for vegetarian meals on ABD’s and how was that experience?

I'm quite sure vegetarian meals are an option, but seeing the meals other travelers have gotten over the years (on non-ABD trips,) I'm not convinced they are much better if what you want is actual green vegetables. It's frequently several types of carb and no protein. There's a world of difference between an excellent vegetarian meal and a plate with no meat on it. :/

I'm quite sure vegetarian meals are an option, but seeing the meals other travelers have gotten over the years (on non-ABD trips,) I'm not convinced they are much better if what you want is actual green vegetables. It's frequently several types of carb and no protein. There's a world of difference between an excellent vegetarian meal and a plate with no meat on it. :/
Yes I agree.

Does anyone have suggestions for ABD’s that have the best food variety and quality options for vegetarians? Thank you.

Same experience with Australia. Unhealthy and little choice for vegetables for lunch and dinners. Breakfast since it was a buffet was the only chance to eat something that wasn’t fries or meat. I wonder if asking for vegetarian meals are an option? Has anyone asked for vegetarian meals on ABD’s and how was that experience?
Yes I agree.

Does anyone have suggestions for ABD’s that have the best food variety and quality options for vegetarians? Thank you.
Yes, vegetarian is an option for ABDs, but from what I've seen of others on my ABDs, @aggiedog is correct, and it's frequently more a meatless (pastas, etc) meal and not necessarily balanced vegetables, etc. They also seemed to get the same meals quite a lot, so a bit monotonous.

I don't believe that we had any vegetarians on our China trip that I can remember, but the meals there were quite well balanced, with a lot of delicious sauteed vegetables available at most meals (including breakfast!) I would imagine vegetarian versions would be possible. That would be my suggestion

I would also recommend a River cruise, where your evening meals are generally on the ship. I did the Danube cruise, and they were quite attentive at meals for my food sensitivities, and the meals were well-rounded. I'm sure they'd work to get you good vegetarian meals.

It's interesting what you guys are saying about the meals for the Australia ABD. I hadn't heard this before about the trip. Did you guys go pre- or post- pandemic? This makes me even gladder I went to New Zealand rather than Australia, as I wouldn't last long with that kind of diet (especially since having my gall bladder out!)

Sayhello

Yes I agree.

We did the inaugural Japan trip, and my wife and one of our friends traveling with us are both vegetarian-- they were brought tremendous amounts of food, many options and all delicious. I'm not a foodie-- whatever that is-- but I loved the trip, the experiences, the Hakone outdoor sculptures, the food, the infamous intersection, DisneySea et al. Great trip!

Yes I agree.

I’m going to agree with @sayhello and recommend the ABD Danube River cruise. The food options were great especially for anyone with dietary restrictions/preferences.

My definition of foodie would be someone who loves a wide variety of well prepared foods. I like most cuisines, prefer fresh ingredients, and am not intimidated by food I'm not familiar with. Only important in the aspect that I don't need to have access to food I'm "comfortable" with when I travel. I know plenty of people who don't like to travel if they can't eat what they know. No judgement, but it makes planning for an entire group more difficult.

We have diverged from the OP though, so back on track...

Yes I agree.

We just did the Arizona/Utah ABD and, if memory serves, there were many options for vegetarians (particularly at the gorgeous Enchantment Resort in Sedona. I wouldn't say the food was stellar, otherwise (some of the group meals were a bit hit or miss), but there was still a variety of foods to choose from. The SoCal/DL trip also had a lot to choose from - most of those meals are in DL, so those restaurants definitely accommodate.
I’m going to agree with @sayhello and recommend the ABD Danube River cruise. The food options were great especially for anyone with dietary restrictions/preferences.
My friend did the Rhine River ABD and it sounds to me that Ama (the cruise line ABD contracts with for the river cruises) knocks it out of the park with dietary needs - my friend is GF and she said the chef prepared wonderful options for her every night. She still talks about the dessert he prepared for her on the final night of their cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter