Help! Running Tinkerbell Half as a male!

reenrik

Earning My Ears
My wife bribed me into taking the family to Disneyland by telling me she'd purchased me entrance into the runDisney event. I'm just now looking at details and realized this is a woman themed event!

I'm by no means worried about that (I'm father to several girls and am all about empowerment), but in looking at the starting corrals, it would appear that I'll be behind at least 500 of you wonderful ladies, at paces that will have me treading your heels and I'm wondering what it's like to run in a women-themed race as a man!

Someone told me to come and start late to avoid the herd? The racer in me believes that to be very counter intuitive! Do any of you have experiences you can share? I'm keeping my time expectations WAY down (gotta get those selfies), but what else?

My wife bribed me into taking the family to Disneyland by telling me she'd purchased me entrance into the runDisney event. I'm just now looking at details and realized this is a woman themed event!

I'm by no means worried about that (I'm father to several girls and am all about empowerment), but in looking at the starting corrals, it would appear that I'll be behind at least 500 of you wonderful ladies, at paces that will have me treading your heels and I'm wondering what it's like to run in a women-themed race as a man!

Someone told me to come and start late to avoid the herd? The racer in me believes that to be very counter intuitive! Do any of you have experiences you can share? I'm keeping my time expectations WAY down (gotta get those selfies), but what else?

You will be severely outnumbered. The earliest corral you can be in is B. If you are worried about slower females in your corral, get there early to be in the front of the corral so you will not have as many in front of you. You may catch some females in corral A, but there are only about 450 of them in front. Plus many of those females can fly and with the head start you may not catch many of them. You will not catch the elite women. I would just enjoy the race and give the females in A and B a little more credit. It is not like you will be trampling on females that run 3 hour half marathons.

I ran Tink a couple years ago when I lived down there and just ran this past princess half weekend. Am heading down to Tink this year to get my Pink Coast to Coast medal. Best suggestion is to relax and don't overthink it. Run your race plan because that is what everyone else is trying to do as well.

The guys are placed back a couple corrals but the corral size is relatively small. As with almost all Disneyland races, be prepared for congestion and possible slow and go until you leave the parks. Then it is usually relatively smooth sailing (especially with this course).

Disney races definitely aren't the place to worry about PR, so pictures are great. If you want smooth sailing out of the gate, just be at the front of your corral or as close as you can get.

Hope you have a great race. Enjoy!

I wouldn't be so bold as to assume that you're going to be be chasing down all of the women in front of you. You need to give them a lot more credit than your email implies. If I were one of those 500 women, I'd be using your email as motivation to ensure I push hard to keep that guy who thinks he can catch me from catching me.

I am not sure what your pace is for a half marathon. I would suggest you go to last year's results. The women can definitely kick butt.

There should be more than 700 starting before you, if you look at the half plus the challenge corral bib numbers. And yes, some of those girls are fast. And then there are also the many photo stop and if you choose not to stop then you will easily pass by many who have. I have no experience with the Tink Half, but have ran the Princess and I see many men just take a shoulder, run their race, and easily pass many.
And do get to your corral early and move to the front.

I asked similar questions and ultimately bowed out from the idea. The ratio of men to women was something like 1:8. There are other Disney races, it's not fair for me to take a spot that a lady somewhere could have had in my place.

I asked similar questions and ultimately bowed out from the idea. The ratio of men to women was something like 1:8. There are other Disney races, it's not fair for me to take a spot that a lady somewhere could have had in my place.
But while it's women-centered or -focused or whatever, men are still more than welcome to register and run. And with Tink, the half marathon didn't even sell out this year, so no spots were taken. :)

Last year my husband ran during the Chicago Women's half weekend with me, because it worked with our schedule and the course was in a really cool part of Chicago (down the Mag mile.) I asked him if it felt weird to run with about 80% women and he said that it was noticeable in the corral but wasn't when he was running, that it felt like a normal race being surrounded by other runners. Cause he was focused on running. He did say he felt really tall. And he got lots of shout outs along the course, mostly of the "smart man" variety, so that's a positive.
The one thing my husband did which was nice was he traded for a women's size shirt to give to his mom and the medal (which was feminine) he gave to my daughter. Might be a cool gesture you could do for your wife (just an idea.)

It sounds like you're prepared to let go of pace expectations, which is the best attitude to take for a Disney run. There will be large portions of the course on the streets on Anaheim, including the first mile and some change, where you can let loose and run at your most comfortable pace-- but inside the parks, just be patient. The course gets narrow and it can get congested. Don't tread on anyone's heels. ;) This advice applies to Tinker Bell half as well as the other Disneyland races- honestly, this isn't much different from the more gender-neutral races. The Star Wars half in January was super congested, with huge corrals, so everyone just had to be patient and watch out for each other. I think this one will actually be less congested than that one- at least I hope so!

Enjoy your race! You'll get extra smiles and cheers if you wear wings!

Just run your race and stay to the left. Politely ask people to move or weave as usual. You'll be fine.

Plus, some very kick-butt women will be there and will give you a challenge. Just run your own race. Corrals will usually smooth out by mile 2.

It is not like you will be trampling on females that run 3 hour half marathons.

Unless, of course, he follows that advice he got!
Someone told me to come and start late to avoid the herd?

That's what several men seemed to have done with the 10k this year, and they weren't very polite about how they were blowing past all of us from the middle corral. They didn't seem to understand what "passing on the left" meant. Then again, a ton of the women in the event didn't seem to understand that, either (nor "walk on the right"), so they weren't alone. They were just...tall and noticeable.

So do NOT follow the advice to start late...stay on the left if you're passing, in the middle if you're not, and on the right if you're walking, and have fun.

It's open to all. If you WANT to participate, participate.

I wouldn't be so bold as to assume that you're going to be be chasing down all of the women in front of you. You need to give them a lot more credit than your email implies. If I were one of those 500 women, I'd be using your email as motivation to ensure I push hard to keep that guy who thinks he can catch me from catching me.

I was hoping this wouldn't come off that way! I certainly hope they will use it as motivation, but I know this race isn't about speed anyway! I just want to know what it's like as a guy (I've never run a women-themed race)...

Unless, of course, he follows that advice he got!

That's what several men seemed to have done with the 10k this year, and they weren't very polite about how they were blowing past all of us from the middle corral. They didn't seem to understand what "passing on the left" meant. Then again, a ton of the women in the event didn't seem to understand that, either (nor "walk on the right"), so they weren't alone. They were just...tall and noticeable.

So do NOT follow the advice to start late...stay on the left if you're passing, in the middle if you're not, and on the right if you're walking, and have fun.

It's open to all. If you WANT to participate, participate.

Thank you, and super-sound advice about remembering to pass on the left! I'm not in this for a PR, I'm wearing a mild costume and I'll be in DISNEYLAND anyway! I just wasn't sure whether starting in that second corral would mean I'd be in long lines while in the park for my requisite selfies! :)

Unless you are an elite runner there will be no difference in the race. Your corral will be a mix of women and men who keep roughly the same time. Men can't start any higher than the B corral and I believe a man can't officially win the race but outside that you should be surrounded by equally paced runners. It shouldn't matter if they are men or women next to you you as they should be roughly the same ability.

Unless you are an elite runner there will be no difference in the race. Your corral will be a mix of women and men who keep roughly the same time. Men can't start any higher than the B corral and I believe a man can't officially win the race but outside that you should be surrounded by equally paced runners. It shouldn't matter if they are men or women next to you you as they should be roughly the same ability.

Hah! Definitely NOT elite. Slightly above average for my age bracket is all. I was just surprised when I saw the listed paces for corral B...I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked up and down the course! I've learned to live with that!

No reasons to worry about being a guy in such races. I know plenty of guys who've run the Nike half in SF and they had a great time. Even with the firemen giving out Tiffany necklaces instead of finisher medals. ;)

Enjoy being outnumbered! When I ran Princess Half last year (also women-THEMED but not exclusive), there was a guy wearing a shirt that said, "Why are all these princesses chasing me?" which was hilarious.

I'm a legacy Tink runner so I've participated in this race for the last four years and I've enjoyed all of them. I've also completed a few of the Princess half marathons as well. Yes, as a male you are going to be outnumbered but at least for me after I start running I really don't notice because I'm in my own zone. You can expect to have some bottle necks during the race which is typical with the number of participants, the course (running the the parks has the worse congestion), photo opportunities that both men/women will cut you off to get. Just go out and have fun which is my motivation for the races and don't worry about trying to PR this race (Disney races are not ideal to attempt a PR unless you are an elite runner and starting in the first corral). See you at the race!!!

My hubs ran the Princess half with me this year. He didn't bat an eyelash. We saw guys dressed in full on princess drag who were having a blast! He also had no trouble wearing his pink princess tech tee and his heart tiara medal around after the race! Not a problem at all. He's a guys guy. He can handle pink and bling. :) YOu will LOVE IT and I know the ladies around you appreciate a guy who will run with his wife in a "girl" race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter