Here now, OMG buses.

We went in Sept, our first trip since 2003. I was taken back by how many ECV's there were. In 2003, I can remember maybe 1 a day getting on or off the bus. This trip, every bus we took had at least 1 and usually 2 ECV's. That add's 20 minutes to any bus ride with the loading and unloading. It seems like Disney need's seperate busses for ECV's, there's that many.

Or they need a new plan. I know they have problems they can't help. My 46 year old uncle is in a wheelchair due to an anersym but when you've been waiting for a bus in 90-100 degree heat and someone comes up in a wheelchair with no wait and they let them on first even though the line is extremely long and ppl have been waiting a LONG time it does get annoying.

I was surprised how many of families with strollers had no idea they had to fold them up to board the bus. So we all sit and wait while they unload from the stroller the kids and all the bits and bobs and fold up. Are there signs up in the bus stops saying strollers have to be folded??

Hard to fix "no clue" - how would they expect to get them on there - there are steps - no way to "roll" them on :rolleyes1

You also have the ones that *wait* until the bus rolls up, then gets little suzie/tommy out, then all their bags out, then try to remember how to fold the stroller, meanwhile we're all waiting :headache:

Or they need a new plan. I know they have problems they can't help. My 46 year old uncle is in a wheelchair due to an anersym but when you've been waiting for a bus in 90-100 degree heat and someone comes up in a wheelchair with no wait and they let them on first even though the line is extremely long and ppl have been waiting a LONG time it does get annoying.

I know right!!!! It is SUCH a real pain in the behind when your life is inconvenienced for less than an hour with that terrible heat and waiting. I keep saying to my Mum "Wow, you're so selfish what with your spinal cord disease that has inconvenienced you ALL your life. Hurry up, there are people waiting"

kaytieeldr said:
Walt Disney World transportation is shared, public transportation. Anyone unhappy with this concept has the option of providing their own transportation. Staying at a resort that doesn't share buses or that has minimal depots would reduce the total length of time required to load/unload/reload one to three Guests in ECVs - for the other Guests with patience ;).

No, she was referring to her other "issues" thread - about (among other things) Toy Story Midway Mania getting shut down after they'd waited in line 45 minutes and they weren't offered FastPasses. :)

No, WDW transportation is private transportation.

The reason people with strollers don't close them up and stand there with them closed is for the safety of their children. It is easier to have them sit there in the stroller for the 20+mins at the bus stop with their stuff in it. It isn't easy to stand their with your stroller closed, keeping the kids from not walking out into the street and carrying the stuff for the day, just to save you people 5 mins of loading time. What do you care anyway? most people would just cut in front of my family anyway even though we waited far longer. Last time we rode the disney buses people didn't even care that I was pregnant, holding a child, and a closed up stroller. They just push past me or have me stand for the 20+ mins ride. Now we rent a car so we don't have to deal with the non-understanding people.

I do wish strollers and ECVs had separate buses, so those of us who are quicker getting on and off weren't slowed down, but hey, it's Disney and it's public transportation, so what can you do? Nothing's perfect.

Do you really think it would be better to have very slow buses full of ECVs and wheelchairs that take hours to get to the parks? So not only do the people who have to use ECVS get to have painfully slow bus service, they get made to feel as if they don't have the same rights as able-bodied people? Because they are in ECVs they should be kept out of the way and not interfere with the bus service of able-bodied people?

Wow.

We had to use a stroller our first two trips. I did not want to deal with hauling one around on the buses, so we budgeted to rent them in the parks and it was well worth it. We ended up throwing all our "stuff" in there with my DD. It was nice and roomy and she loved it. Only inconvenience was carrying her back to the resort after a long day, but my DH had to do that and he did not complain. DD is 16 now and still looks longingly at the strollers when we visit. :cloud9:

No, WDW transportation is private transportation.
No, private transportation is your own vehicle, or a vehicle you hire to transport only yourself/your party.

A system that transports tens of thousands of people every day, all year to a variety of even its own locations is public transportation.

kaytieeldr said:
No, private transportation is your own vehicle, or a vehicle you hire to transport only yourself/your party.

A system that transports tens of thousands of people every day, all year to a variety of even its own locations is public transportation.

sorry that's just not true. private transportation is run by a private individual or institution. public transportation is run by the government.

Perhaps one day your ignorance will heal your arrogance? Just a thought to ponder while you bask in your self-righteous realm as you await for the bus to load.

sorry that's just not true. private transportation is run by a private individual or institution. public transportation is run by the government.

Anyone can use Disney transportation. You don't have to be a guest of WDW in order to do so. Makes it public transportation imho.

No. According to the Transportation Dictionary website, private transportation is http://www.transportation-dictionary.org/Private_Transportation "1) Any transport service that is restricted to certain people and is therefore not open to the public at large. 2) Owned or operated by an individual or group, not a governmental entity, for his or its own purposes or benefit."

The same site defines public transportation http://www.transportation-dictionary.org/Public_transportation as "Transportation by bus, rail, or other conveyance, either publicly or privately owned, which provides to the public general or special service on a regular and continuing basis. Also known as "mass transportation", "mass transit" and "transit."

I do wish strollers and ECVs had separate buses, so those of us who are quicker getting on and off weren't slowed down, but hey, it's Disney and it's public transportation, so what can you do? Nothing's perfect.

I'm not gonna dog on ya like everyone else seems to be doing. I feel your pain!

Fortunately, what you propose is against the law. If you think that you are so special that you require an express transport because you are just too unique to wait like the rest of us, perhaps you really need to get your own limo to service your needs. Posts like yours never fail to bring me to a quick boil.:furious:

I just looked at several different definitions of public transportation by several different sources. According to every one of them, Disney Transportation would be considered such.

minnie mum said:
I just looked at several different definitions of public transportation by several different sources. According to every one of them, Disney Transportation would be considered such.

from Disney's own website, the busses are only available to WDW resort guests. it is listed as one of the perks of staying on property. i know this is not enforced, but the busses are not open to the public.

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resortincluding transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parksis available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

If it is only select resorts, which resorts don't qualify?

If Disney wanted only resort guests to use the buses they would ask for some proof. They don't. They also stop at a public shopping area and pick up guests. Sounds more like public than private transportation.

from Disney's own website, the busses are only available to WDW resort guests. it is listed as one of the perks of staying on property. i know this is not enforced, but the busses are not open to the public.

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resortincluding transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parksis available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.
Walt Disney World transportation being a perquisite of staying onsitein no way indicates its use is exclusive to persons staying in Walt Disney World hotels only.

How would offsite Guests get to and from Magic Kingdom if they were precluded from using WDW transportation? Before you try claiming, "That's different" - it's not. It's one transportation system, using a variety of modes of transit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter