Here now, OMG buses.

We went in Sept, our first trip since 2003. I was taken back by how many ECV's there were. In 2003, I can remember maybe 1 a day getting on or off the bus. This trip, every bus we took had at least 1 and usually 2 ECV's. That add's 20 minutes to any bus ride with the loading and unloading. It seems like Disney need's seperate busses for ECV's, there's that many.

Isn't it wonderful that those who need to use ECVs and wheelchairs find WDW to be a good vacation destination, where they are able to experience everything?

It's also wonderful that "separate but equal" isn't exactly legal anymore.

i didn't make up the information. you can question it all you like, but it's on the disney site.

Nowhere does it say that it is available ONLY to resort guests or that resort guests have exclusive use of the buses - just that resorts guests can use the buses. And they can - along with anyone else who wants to use them.

If it is only select resorts, which resorts don't qualify?
Shades of Green and the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels. And it's not that they don't qualify, it's just that Walt Disney World doesn't provide the transportation for those properties.

disney transportation perfectly fits the 2nd definition you just linked to.
Would you prefer the Wikipedia definition? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_transport

Private transport, as opposed to public transport, is transportation service which is not available for use by the general public. Private transport is the dominant form of transportation in most of the world. In the United States, for example, 86.2% of passenger miles traveled occur by passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and trucks.[1] Examples of private transport are listed below.

Motorized:
Automobile
Motorcycle
Taxi
Private jet
Non-motorized:
Bicycle
Walking
Scooter
Roller skating

When they say "resort guests" they are talking about guests of Walt Disney World Resort. Meaning, if I am a guest visiting Walt Disney World, I can use their transportation. Even off-site guests can use it. So even if you aren't staying at the hotel on-site, you can take the boat from Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian for afternoon tea. Another example would be that you stay at Rodeway Inn motel, drive to Epcot and take the monorail to Magic Kingdom to spend your day at the park. If you decide to park hop over to Hollywood Studios, you can then board the buses at Magic Kingdom and ride them to Hollywood Studios and stay and say watch the 8pm Fantasmic. After the show, you can re-board the Disney buses and take them to Epcot where you can watch the last bit of Illuminations (if you really wanted to) and then head out to the parking lot and pick up your car and drive back to your Rodeway Inn motel room. Hope that makes sense. The resort transportation is talking about the DISNEY WORLD resort, which is why you can board it at Downtown Disney as a shopping guest and take it to another Disney property for dinner or playing in the parks.

I will never forget the horrible woman who literally chased DH and I down Main St on our honeymoon when the crowd pushed us(after Wishes) and DH accidentally stepped in front of the stroller, he immediately turned to apologize but the lady wouldn't hear him, she purposely rammed the stroller into DH legs! We tried to walk quickly to get away from her but she kept up behind us, hitting us most of the way! Ppl were staring at us!!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013

I will never forget the horrible woman who literally chased DH and I down Main St on our honeymoon when the crowd pushed us(after Wishes) and DH accidentally stepped in front of the stroller, he immediately turned to apologize but the lady wouldn't hear him, she purposely rammed the stroller into DH legs! We tried to walk quickly to get away from her but she kept up behind us, hitting us most of the way! Ppl were staring at us!!!

Some people are idiots. Even if they didn't have a stroller they would still be idiots. One trip I was standing with my mom on Main Street, waiting for the fireworks to start. It was wall to wall people as usual. I watched some crazy lady who was pushing a stroller come down off of the sidewalk and proceed to ram her way through the people on Main Street. My mom and I looked at each other like what the heck????

I'm guessing even if she didn't have a stroller she would still be rude and self-centered.

kaytieeldr said:
Would you prefer the Wikipedia definition? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_transport

Private transport, as opposed to public transport, is transportation service which is not available for use by the general public. Private transport is the dominant form of transportation in most of the world. In the United States, for example, 86.2% of passenger miles traveled occur by passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and trucks.[1] Examples of private transport are listed below.

Motorized:
Automobile
Motorcycle
Taxi
Private jet
Non-motorized:
Bicycle
Walking
Scooter
Roller skating

ha ha, i was hoping you'd go to wikipedia as a source. wikipedia describes disney transportation as a private system.

What an awful experience, sorry that happened :flower3: Mind you, that isn't typical of stroller users in general, its just that particular woman happened to be a total jerk.

ha ha, i was hoping you'd go to wikipedia as a source. wikipedia describes disney transportation as a private system.

What difference does it make really? Same thing holds true. If you don't like how it works, don't use it. No one is forced onto a Disney bus at gun-point. If you are unhappy with how they run, don't use them. Drive or use taxis to get around.

maxiesmom said:
What difference does it make really? Same thing holds true. If you don't like how it works, don't use it. No one is forced onto a Disney bus at gun-point. If you are unhappy with how they run, don't use them. Drive or use taxis to get around.

agree with that completely. i have never complained about the busses in any way, so not sure why you are directing that at me.

I use an ECV because I NEED it! It is my own, & I ride it each day while I am going to therapy, doctor appointments, doing errands, teaching music students, & completing my housework, etc.

PLEASE don't put me down because I ride an ECV. I have a spinal cord issue, and will never be able to stand without being a falling risk. But - if you look at me while I am seated, then I look just as fine as you do. It doesn't mean that I want to take YOUR seat on the bus. (I am actually fine with your suggestion of separate buses for ECV's. I agree.)

I am very sorry that it takes so long to load the ECVs on the bus. I am not thrilled with how long I take either. I wish I could move faster. It would be a lot of fun!

If you give me YOUR legs, I will give you MY seat. Thank you. :goodvibes

(I certainly do not want to be rude, but it is hard sometimes when you feel a put-down flying at you.) :goodvibes

It is private transportation owned by Disney and provided by Disney. The LYNX buses that serve the Orlando area are public transportation. While Disney transportation is, indeed, private, I think what she means is that since it serves thousands of riders every day, it operates similar to other modes of public transportation.

Above all things, I can't imagine Disney would ever deny or delay transporation to someone with differing needs. It was Walt's dream that there was a place where young and old could come and play together and not have to watch from the sidelines. How heart-breaking to think anyone would feel so entitled that they would encourage Disney World as an entity to challenge that dream for those who are differently-abled. Whether by having to use a stroller to transport their children so they can explore the parks or those needing wheelchairs/ECVs as the only way they'd be able to come visit.

If it is only select resorts, which resorts don't qualify?

If Disney wanted only resort guests to use the buses they would ask for some proof. They don't. They also stop at a public shopping area and pick up guests. Sounds more like public than private transportation.

Actually, when we first started going to Disney many moons ago when they first opened, they actually DID require *proof* of staying on sight before boarding their transportation. ::yes::

It is private transportation owned by Disney and provided by Disney. The LYNX buses that serve the Orlando area are public transportation. While Disney transportation is, indeed, private, I think what she means is that since it serves thousands of riders every day, it operates similar to other modes of public transportation.

Provided by Disney yes, Owned by Disney no. It is contracted with MEARS Transportation, just like the Magical Express Busses.

It was in the 1930's time frame that mass transit got started. Individuals, primarily farmers, with an extra horse and extra wagon and extra time on their hands would go up and down streets where large numbers of people walked to and from work, and offered rides for a nickel or so. Soon, companies formed to provide scheduled, reasonly reliable, service for most of the day. Several unique names popped up to describe these services, the name "omnibus" meaning "for all" became a standard term. Prior to this time people just walked, or if they were well to do, rode in stagecoaches or horse drawn buggies, or hackney* carriages. Or planned their life so as not to require such travel.

"It won't be a stylish marriage. I can't afford a carriage ..."

By carrying many people per trip (making many stops) omnibuses provided rides much more cheaply than sulkies* and stagecoaches that held just a few.

Omnibuses usually did provide service to the infirm who used canes to walk, but getting aboard required climbing steps and the door was not wide enough for wheelchairs. It was not unusual for a perambulator* to be hung on the back of the vehicle.

bluejasmine said:
will never forget the horrible woman who literally chased DH and I down Main St on our honeymoon when the crowd pushed us(after Wishes) and DH accidentally stepped in front of the stroller, he immediately turned to apologize but the lady wouldn't hear him, she purposely rammed the stroller into DH legs! We tried to walk quickly to get away from her but she kept up behind us, hitting us most of the way! Ppl were staring at us!!!
This is a topic for security, not transportation. A citizen's arrest by DH might have been appropriate whereby Disney might have the incentive and wherewithal to bribe DH not to press assault charges..

* It's left to the reader as an exercise to find out what this means. Google is your friend.

I've been at the Poly since Friday and the bus situation is terrible (50 minutes for a DHS bus to come Friday). We were at BLT for 3 days before this and did not have any issues, so I'm guessing its related to the large crowds this weekend.

Yeah, downright hilarious :confused3
I cited Wikipedia reluctantly, as a secondary source, because it's well-known that anyone can write anything.

There are signs at the bus stops that say, fold your stroller. I really think anyone that is not ready to board the bus when it arrives, should not be waited on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter