Hey, stop picking on Magical Express!

Magical Express was amazing for us as well. Could not recommend it more highly. Lines moved fast, very little wait. Fun atmosphere as well!

Magical Express worked very well for us.

The UG is correct that Deluxe Resorts seem to get priority. We were staying at the Poly and we got on our bus very quickly. the lines for the Values were llloooooonnnnnggggg. I know they have many more rooms, but you'd think resources would be allocated according to need and not what people are paying.

Also, it is a negative that you have to leave 3 hours before your flight.

My husband would want to leave 4 hours early, so this is a plus for us! :rotfl2:

It's fine to have opinions based on reality. It's not fine to provide misinformation or to scare people needlessly.

Magical Express provides frequent, reliable, safe, free transportation between MCO and WDW resorts.

To "joke" that Magical Express guests never get their bags or don't get them until they're "ready to go home" is an insult to all the people who work hard handling DME guests' luggage and to the people who designed the sophisticated DME baggage tracking system (which relies on multiple barcode scans to keep track of the status and progress of DME guests' luggage).

You check your bags at your home airport; you bypass baggage claim at MCO; your bags are delivered to your resort room a few hours after you check in, with Disney paying the inbound bellman gratuity -- while you're out at a park, a restaurant, or at the pool. Disney advises guest to bring carry-ons with items they'll need the first few hours (which is always a good idea because airlines misdirect luggage way too frequently).

Yes, your bags don't appear instantly at check-in because they require handling. A guest could be on a Magical Express motorcoach while the baggage handlers are still unloading the bags from the airplane. The bags are transfered to Disney "behind the scenes" at the airport; they're sorted; they're transported to Disney resorts by truck throughout the day; and they're delivered by bell services or luggage assistance.

The comment about "the bus with the luggage" showing up at 8:30 or 9:00 at night is a fabrication. The luggage is not delivered by bus, and there are many truck runs each day serving each resort.

It's a disservice to scare people about the "lack of restraints" on DME motorcoaches, as though people who use DME are jeopardizing the safety of their children. DME does not use sedans or vans that require seat belts and car seats. DME uses massive deluxe motorcoaches, which are statistically much safer than cars and vans. (By the way, Disney transportation buses don't have seat belts either.)

It's just plain wrong to say that DME waits for buses to fill up. The old Mears service may have done that, but Disney's dispatch methodology for Magical Express is designed to get guests (and their wallets) to WDW quickly. The DME coaches that I've ridden from MCO to WDW have averaged less than half full.

The comments about Magical Express on the recent podcast made me wonder if the podcast team is genuinely unaware of how Magical Express really works, or if they're influenced by their loyalty to FL Tours, a major sponsor of DISboards. I have no doubt FL Tours is a fine company, so why not discuss the virtues of towncar services rather than providing misinformation about Magical Express?

Based on the comments about Magical Express on the podcast this week, I wonder if I should trust other information that I hear on the DIS Unplugged podcasts?

we always seem to have a long wait to checkin in when we get to the DME counter at MCO, but what do you expect for a ride in WDW?! :rotfl: Other than that, we have never had any trouble with DME, and won't travel any other way!

The comments about Magical Express on the recent podcast made me wonder if the podcast team is genuinely unaware of how Magical Express really works, or if they're influenced by their loyalty to FL Tours, a major sponsor of DISboards. I have no doubt FL Tours is a fine company, so why not discuss the virtues of towncar services rather than providing misinformation about Magical Express?

Based on the comments about Magical Express on the podcast this week, I wonder if I should trust other information that I hear on the DIS Unplugged podcasts?

You had me until this part. Questioning the integrity of the DisUnplugged Team's advice because of business relationships they FULLY disclose is out of line I think. If I am not mistaken, their comments on the show reflect the feedback they get from their Dreams Unlimited clients. When they continue to hear bad things about ME from their clients, it is reflected in their opinion of the service.

I think that ME does do an admirable job with the volume of people and luggage they deal with everyday, but I also think that it can be a hassle. My biggest gripe is the time they require you to leave Disney to make your flight. Its something like 3 hours prior to boarding, which is annoying to me. I can understand the reasoning, but its just not for me, and many people feel that way.

So basically, if you like ME or don't, great, but accusing the Unplugged crew of intentionally knocking it to get more business for FL tours is off base.

I never used it because I know myself and my husband and I know we'd rather have our skin peeled from us in sheets than

1. wait in any line we feel is unnecessary
2. not have a rental car when we're at WDW
3. go around with a group of strangers to various places other than directly where we want to go
4. be told a time to show up to get on the bus at the end of our trip that's anything more than about 2 hours before our flight departs

Ok, so you never even used it?! :confused3 I would hold off on forming an opinion on something I've never used.

You had me until this part. Questioning the integrity of the DisUnplugged Team's advice because of business relationships they FULLY disclose is out of line I think. If I am not mistaken, their comments on the show reflect the feedback they get from their Dreams Unlimited clients. When they continue to hear bad things about ME from their clients, it is reflected in their opinion of the service.
I did not read that Horace was questioning the integrity of the team's advice because of the business relationship. The way I read it was, he was questioning the actual experience the team had with the information they put forth. If they are only relying on a competitors info (regardless of whether or not they are a sponsor) there may be a good reason to question the validity of that information. Especially when all it does it make the 'other guy' look bad.

I think that ME does do an admirable job with the volume of people and luggage they deal with everyday, but I also think that it can be a hassle. My biggest gripe is the time they require you to leave Disney to make your flight. Its something like 3 hours prior to boarding, which is annoying to me. I can understand the reasoning, but its just not for me, and many people feel that way.
I agree, they do an admirable job. Of course I don't like leaving three hours before my flight but it is absolutely understandable. Can you imagine if Disney tried to cut it short like so many travelers do getting to the airport? They would be paying for free flights and lost time and who else knows what if someone were to miss their flight.:sad2:

So basically, if you like ME or don't, great, but accusing the Unplugged crew of intentionally knocking it to get more business for FL tours is off base.
Again, I didn't read it as knocking it to get more business. I thought it just sounded like questioning the validity of second hand information. And really, we all just want to get the facts and to have fun at Disney!;)

You had me until this part. Questioning the integrity of the DisUnplugged Team's advice because of business relationships they FULLY disclose is out of line I think.
I'm just trying to understand why the DIS Unplugged Team would provide misinformation about DME or scare people needlessly. Please note that I also raised the possibility that the Team might be genuinely unaware of how Magical Express really works.

During the podcast, it really seemed to me that there was an effort to belittle Magical Express that went beyond good-natured fun. They suggested that DME guests routinely don't get their luggage, that it takes a long time "because you have to wait for the bus to fill up," and to "beware" that DME doesn't have child restraints, as though Disney is purposely endangering children. In short, there was an effort to paint a picture of Magical Express as an awful service.

I'm sure that some people have had less-than-stellar experiences with DME, just as others have had less-than-stellar experiences with rental car companies and towncar services. Over on the DIS Transportation forum, the reaction to Disney's Magical Express by people who have used it is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm just trying to understand why the DIS Unplugged Team would provide misinformation about DME or scare people needlessly. Please note that I also raised the possibility that the Team might be genuinely unaware of how Magical Express really works.

During the podcast, it really seemed to me that there was an effort to belittle Magical Express that went beyond good-natured fun. They suggested that DME guests routinely don't get their luggage, that it takes a long time "because you have to wait for the bus to fill up," and to "beware" that DME doesn't have child restraints, as though Disney is purposely endangering children. In short, there was an effort to paint a picture of Magical Express as an awful service.

I'm sure that some people have had less-than-stellar experiences with DME, just as others have had less-than-stellar experiences with rental car companies and towncar services. Over on the DIS Transportation forum, the reaction to Disney's Magical Express by people who have used it is overwhelmingly positive.

I agree with your opinion of Magical Express in general, but I have to stick up for the podcast team. I really don't think that they meant any harm, and as they did not even mention the towncar service associated with these boards, I don't think they were trying to promote anything.

I can't speak for them, but if I had to guess as to where their feelings on Magical Express were coming from, I would say a lot of it has to do with feedback they receive from Dreams Unlimited clients. I have no doubt that, just as with any company or system, there have been and will be snags which will leave a bitter taste in ones mouth. On the whole, I don't think this is the norm, but if you have a bad experience, you are more likely to report on it, than if you had an acceptable or an outstanding experience.

Just as the podcast team mentioned in their show about giving a restaraunt another chance before dismissing it, I would say that you have to try Magical Express before you knock it. I believe the information they had lead them to believe Magical Express was not a good thing, but I am sure if they researched it a bit more, they would find a good number of satisfied Magical Express users out there. Education leads to knowledge, and knowledge is power. :)

I agree with your opinion of Magical Express in general, but I have to stick up for the podcast team. I really don't think that they meant any harm, and as they did not even mention the towncar service associated with these boards, I don't think they were trying to promote anything.

I can't speak for them, but if I had to guess as to where their feelings on Magical Express were coming from, I would say a lot of it has to do with feedback they receive from Dreams Unlimited clients. I have no doubt that, just as with any company or system, there have been and will be snags which will leave a bitter taste in ones mouth. On the whole, I don't think this is the norm, but if you have a bad experience, you are more likely to report on it, than if you had an acceptable or an outstanding experience.

Just as the podcast team mentioned in their show about giving a restaraunt another chance before dismissing it, I would say that you have to try Magical Express before you knock it. I believe the information they had lead them to believe Magical Express was not a good thing, but I am sure if they researched it a bit more, they would find a good number of satisfied Magical Express users out there. Education leads to knowledge, and knowledge is power. :)

Well said!

It's fine to have opinions based on reality. It's not fine to provide misinformation or to scare people needlessly.

Magical Express provides frequent, reliable, safe, free transportation between MCO and WDW resorts.

It's just plain wrong to say that DME waits for buses to fill up. The old Mears service may have done that, but Disney's dispatch methodology for Magical Express is designed to get guests (and their wallets) to WDW quickly. The DME coaches that I've ridden from MCO to WDW have averaged less than half full.

We also love DME. I do have to bring to your attention that 2 weeks ago the DME bus waited for about 20 minutes before leaving MCO bound for WDW. I think that they do wait for x amount of passengers. The bus may not be full, but they do wait.

I do agree with you that they spoke of Magical Express in an overly negative manner. The only place I take exception to your posts is when you say that they are demeaning Magical Express with ulterior motives. I just don't think thats the case, that's all. And your comment about them implying that Disney didn't have child seats so as to purposely endanger children? C'mon. Its Disney! Some people don't feel comfortable having their small children on a bus without a car seat, they are making the listener aware of that fact in case they are uncomfortable with it. That's all.

So in review:
Kevin, Pete and John are:
Fans of Magical Express? not so much
Maybe a little harsh towards ME? probably
ME bashers with secret agendas? I don't think so
Wise for staying out of this fray? most definitely

I leave you with a peace offering. :hippie:

We have used ME for our last few trips but have used the towncar service prior to this. The first plus for us is the extra $150.00 we save using ME. I would much rather use that $ to bring home souvenirs. The last time that we used the towncar service, on our return to MCO, we felt "pinched" for an extra tip. The driver made a point of saying that the tip we had added to the pre-payment never makes it to the drivers... just thought we should know. Huh? That was a real turn off. We tipped - again - but that experience left a bad taste. With ME, we waited no longer than we waited to collect our luggage and make our way to our hired towncar on previous occasions. The buses do not have restraints - they are not required as the weight of the vehicle and the type of seating provides "compartmentalization" - as do the other Disney buses and our local school buses. The experience of being in the emotionally-charged atmosphere with fellow Disney travelers anticipating their vacations... well, you can' t buy that. Its a thrilling kinship, of sorts. The three hour return rule doesn't bother us. My DH has us at our hometown airport 3 hours ahead of time to "be safe". :rolleyes1 Honestly, we have always enjoyed ME as part of the whole experience of Disney. We have NEVER had a problem with receiving our luggage in a timely fashion, either. Oh, and we tip our ME drivers, too... and they don't ask or hint for it. :)

We've used Magical Express, and we've been very, very happy with it. I love that we don't have to worry about our luggage. While I loved using a towncar, I like this better. I talk Magical Express up to everyone I know.

It's unfair to judge something when you've never experienced it before. While I'm sure that Magical Express does not appeal to everyone, giving an opinion without using it is like me saying that the seafood at Coral Reef is horrible. Of course, it is, to me, because I don't like seafood. To a person who likes it, Coral Reef might have the best fish in the world.

Ok, when we last used Magical Express, we went up and got right on the bus, the most that I have ever waited is about 10 minutes and that was when it was rather slow in the airport. We did make a couple of stops, but they made sense as they were right on the way, why not take a load of people that are going to all of the Value resort rather than just one or two for each?

Coming back the time to get on the bus was always two hours or less before our flight time, I always questioned this, as I thought it was cutting it a bit close, but I have not had an issue yet.

As I saide previously our luggage delay was due to our own fault, not ME.

The Best part of Magical Express is that it takes us to the happiest place on earth.
The Worst part is that it takes us away from the happiest place on earth!

[*]Toll Roads (We don't really have to take any in California, we have options to take them and get away from traffic though, so I find it annoying too be forced into it)

[/LIST]

There are ways to pretty much avoid the tolls out of MCO, too - they just take a whole lot longer to get to WDW.

I think we basically like ME, but I also like having a car on hand. Just for PoM and a few groceries. Both times I've tried ME, our return bus was quite late. That's kind of nervewracking. My sister's bus was very late too, and she left at a different time from us. Our bus was supposed to arrive at 3:40. We were waiting for it at about 3:15 (We were told to be there at 3:30). We actually ended up being quite rushed at the airport and had to wait until the plane landed to eat anything - so that was most of the day. I suppose we COULD have had lunch before we left, but we figured we'd have time to kill at the airport and planned on a QS lunch there. Instead, we didn't get any real food until after the plane landed - so that was well after dinner times.

I think I'd be inclined to use ME one way next time, and maybe use a taxi for the return . When my mom used a towncar she had trouble with them as well. We've had the best luck wuth rental cars- especially if you go with one of the better places at the airport.

But I also like "free."

The podcasters aren't the first folks to mention that they've had problems with Magical Express. Other people have had problems, too.

Just because one guy has no problems doesn't make the one who did a liar.

I do agree with you that they spoke of Magical Express in an overly negative manner. The only place I take exception to your posts is when you say that they are demeaning Magical Express with ulterior motives. I just don't think thats the case, that's all.
I didn't say they had "ulterior motives." If my wording implied that I'm accusing the Team of anything unethical, I apologize. That was not my intention.

I wondered if they might be "influenced by their loyalty to FL Tours, a major sponsor of DISboards." Undoubtedly, the towncar companies have all been hurt by Magical Express. I can't fault Pete and the Team for loyalty to sponsors and distrust of anything that hurts those sponsors.

I assume the Podcast Team members have never used Magical Express because they're local to the Orlando area. In comparison, when they review a WDW restaurant, they're speaking from first-hand experience.

Unfortunately, misinformation about Magical Express hurts their credibility. And I hate to see that happen because I really enjoy the DIS Unplugged podcasts.

And your comment about them implying that Disney didn't have child seats so as to purposely endanger children? C'mon. Its Disney! Some people don't feel comfortable having their small children on a bus without a car seat, they are making the listener aware of that fact in case they are uncomfortable with it. That's all.
The "no child seats" argument has been used on the DIS Transportation forum numerous times by people in the towncar, limo, and SUV service business to cast doubt on the safety of Magical Express. It's a tired anti-Magical Express argument, and I was surprised to hear it on the podcast.

There are problems with that argument. First, buses and motorcoaches are not the same as passenger sedans, vans, and SUVs. But more significantly, regardless of whether a family uses Magical Express or a towncar service, they'll use WDW buses, boats, and monorails for transportation at WDW -- none of which have child seats or seat belts either!

So are towncar services saying that all families should get rental cars at the airport (and use those cars within WDW for travel between their hotel and the parks) for a safety advantage? I don't think so! By the way, I think occupants of a car, even with seat belts and car seats, are likely to be less safe than occupants of a massive motorcoach with seats high above the impact point of traffic accidents.

Rental cars, towncar/limo/SUV services, and Magical Express each have advantages and disadvantages. None of them is perfect 100% of the time.

But, in my experience, Disney has really done a very good job with Magical Express.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter