HoJo getting out of reach

GatorChris

Not of This World
Remember when HoJo was affordable? Man, it was our go-to hotel at Disneyland all the way through our last little trip in 2018. We could even get park view for far less than the hotels directly across from the gate.

Now it's become very expensive. Trying to hit it Columbus Week in Oct and it's way up there. Comparing the room we usually get to staying at the usually-pricey Great Wolf Lodge (which my kids think is epic), it's a $600 difference. And GWL has a room that fits 5.

No breakfast. No room truly built for 5. A full city block away. What's making it so expensive all of the sudden?

That’s AZ typical Fall Break week (and maybe Utah too) so that's probably why it’s pricey... but yeah, that also doesn’t explain why GWL isn’t up there too. Our GWL here in AZ is never under $300 unless it’s mid week/ school days. Weekends are usually $500!

But yeah, it doesn’t feel that long ago that Hojo was 89/ night!

That’s AZ typical Fall Break week (and maybe Utah too) so that's probably why it’s pricey... but yeah, that also doesn’t explain why GWL isn’t up there too. Our GWL here in AZ is never under $300 unless it’s mid week/ school days. Weekends are usually $500!

But yeah, it doesn’t feel that long ago that Hojo was 89/ night!
I remember when we could get it for $49/night (the old rooms with the "eyebrow" window or whatever that was called. Now that was a deal!!!

Love the HoJo! Close to park, water play area for kids, remodeled rooms are great for our family.

No idea if this has anything to do with it but maybe it’s because they’ve been renovating and upgrading the rooms.

We had two stays within a few months of the pandemic. One was in a pre-renovation old room. We got a good price, but it was quite a throwback, I’ll leave it at that.

The other was a remodeled room with a bedroom and a separate area with bunk beds for kids. Really awesome for a family.

At the time, one or two of the towers in the complex were completely closed and we were told they were being gutted and totally redone.

Maybe the whole place has finished being remodeled, which could explain the higher prices, or maybe a couple of the towers are still closed, which means fewer rooms, which could lead to higher prices. Either way, if you haven’t been there in a while, the rooms might be newer/upgraded from what they were last time you visited.

Just speculating. Hope this helps.

Yes, their rates have gotten pretty outrageous. Check out the new Home2 Suites also on Manchester. Just a few steps farther, rates were pretty good last time I checked.

Yep, I remember. That was our go-to as a family. We loved what they used to call the Kids' Suite, but now call the Family Suite, I think. It's basically 2 full rooms -- 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. The first time we stayed in one of those rooms it was only $99/night! We have also paid $129/night. Crazy deals. Now I see they go for $430+/night. Also loved the old Entertainment rate of $59/night for the 2 Queens. My go-to for a mom/sisters trip. It made me sad when their prices skyrocketed. I don't look their anymore.

Dang. Over $300/night for a 2 queen bed room. No thanks! We'll stay elsewhere from now on.

** Edited to add **
By comparison, Park Vue Inn is $199/night in October and it's a heck of a lot closer of a walk thank Hojo's.

If you are a Wyndham Rewards member you might be able to see if you can get a good deal on Howard Johnson rooms for a really good price because when it's a holiday weekend or holiday in general hotels can get pretty pricey because Howard Johnson is part of the Wyndham family of hotels they will often have special deals for holidays. A second thing you could do is call Howard Johnson directly and ask if they are running any specials or deals for Colombus Day weekend and if Howard Johnson is full a great alternative hotel chain to try is Best Western and they are great hotels and they are so easy to book and will have special deals from time to time and even you find special holiday discounts there too
Good luck with your upcoming trip and hope this advice helps you

I loved Hojo when the kids were little and enjoyed the splash park, and I've always had great customer service there, but I have to agree for the location and price we just don't stay there anymore. Last couple of trips we stayed at Park Vue. It was nice to be practically across the street at the end of the day.

We have stayed at the Hojo for over 50 nights and yes the prices have creeped up. However, the renovations really do make a difference. We always stayed in the kids suites which were renovated to begin with but then the bathrooms were still stuck in a timewarp. Our last trip in 2019 we stayed in the remodel and it is very nice. They have also remodelled the pool and much of the interiors of their buildings although I don't think they have yet remodelled the shorter buildings which were their cheapest ones. I just checked out their pricing for November, as that is likely the earliest we will get to go back and the rates are the same as what we had booked for April of 2020 that we ended up cancelling. So I don't think things have changed as a result of the pandemic just inching up over the years. It will be interesting to see where prices land when things return to whatever the new normal is, not due to the businesses being out of commission for so long but due to the economic impacts of the pandemic - a lot of people who could have afforded to travel before 2020 may be a long ways off from doing so again.

We remain fans of Hojo. We completed our 50th stay there last January and do plan to return. I agree the prices have gone up considerably from years ago and you can't find quite the bargains of the old days, but in general for the times we have stayed they haven't been terribly out of line with other properties in the area. They have also done a great job of keeping the property clean and in good condition and have now renovated buildings 1 and 2 completely. The staff was always wonderful, and I do hope that those that want to will be able to return once the hotel can reopen.

YES! We stayed there our first trip in 2017. Just a basic standard room. Enjoyed the little water park. We went back in 2019 but thats because they ran a promotion and we got a good rate but their normal rates are high! and I agree with you that they don't really have the expirence to back up their price. Their water park is cute but its not made for big kids over the age of 7ish. We probably wont be staying there again.

YES! We stayed there our first trip in 2017. Just a basic standard room. Enjoyed the little water park. We went back in 2019 but thats because they ran a promotion and we got a good rate but their normal rates are high! and I agree with you that they don't really have the expirence to back up their price. Their water park is cute but its not made for big kids over the age of 7ish. We probably wont be staying there again.

Our last stay was in a rennovated bunk bed room and i'll disagree with others. did not find the renovated rooms to be worth it without a discount. The bunk beds are small. so again if you have kids over 5-6.. The room was CRAMPED.. and the view was the highway.

We always stay at PVI and find I can get an extra 10% off by calling them and telling them I'm a returning customer (which they verify).
Maybe that would work for HoJo.

Yes, their rates have gotten pretty outrageous. Check out the new Home2 Suites also on Manchester. Just a few steps farther, rates were pretty good last time I checked.

Oh, I'm guessing this must be where the Quality Inn on Manchester was. Do you know? That was our go-to for several years! Affordable rates and free breakfast. We were sad when it closed.

Remember when HoJo was affordable? Man, it was our go-to hotel at Disneyland all the way through our last little trip in 2018. We could even get park view for far less than the hotels directly across from the gate.

Now it's become very expensive. Trying to hit it Columbus Week in Oct and it's way up there. Comparing the room we usually get to staying at the usually-pricey Great Wolf Lodge (which my kids think is epic), it's a $600 difference. And GWL has a room that fits 5.

No breakfast. No room truly built for 5. A full city block away. What's making it so expensive all of the sudden?

It was more affordable back in 2003-2005 the couple times I stayed there. I honestly think it has been too pricy (for what it is) for years now. I've honestly never really understood all the hype. It isn't even that close. There were lots of closer hotels that didn't charge as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter