Holiday cooking

I have no idea where this recipe came from, but my mom started making it for holidays when I was a kid. It's a take on macaroni and cheese and it's sooo good.
Dump a box of elbow macaroni, a can of creamed corn, a can of whole kernal corn (not drained), half a stick of butter and half a block of velveeta in a dish. Bake until noodles are done. It's not Thanksgiving without this!
I'm not a fan of traditional stuffing, but I do make a cornbread/sausage/apple stuffing that is really good - except I use maple breakfast sausage instead of Italian . https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...uffing-with-apples-and-sausage-recipe-1943636

My family loves sautéed apples...like Cracker Barrel’s. Peel and slice apples...I do a ton!. Sauté in pan with butter and brown sugar and cinnamon. When apples get soft add a little cornstarch mixed with water. Stir until sauce thickens. I make it in batches and put in crockpot to reheat the day of. The recipe is also on allrecipes but I just wing it...hard to mess up.

Missnic--your stuffing sounds amazing! I don't think I could sell it here, though (nor the green bean casserole versions--not happening!). I do a cornbread stuffing with chopped celery, carrots, and onion that disappears like magic.

I do a pecan streusel-topped sweet potato that's very popular, too. I like sweet potatoes, but not with marshmallows and syrup--too overly sweet for me. The streusel-topped one is just the right balance.

HeatherC--if you don't already have one, get one of those peeler/corer/slicer thingies. Plows through apple processing like nobody's business--I can get apples set for a pie in less than 5 minutes. My DH loves those apples of which you speak, but I'm not adding them to my Thanksgiving repertoire. Maybe I'll make them "just because", one of these days.

These are some great ideas! Maybe mac n cheese instead of green bean casserole this year (or just a 1/2 size portion of it).

I've been looking up creative ways to use the leftovers and found a recipe for ham and cheese hot pocket type things. I can make a bunch and stock the freezer up.

Does anyone do a special breakfast dish on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning? I saw on pinterest a thing for a crock pot cinnamon French toast thing. It looked good!

Instead of mashed potatoes, I always do roasted ranch potatoes and they are a HUGE hit with my family! It's the recipe from Hidden Valley Ranch using the powdered packet.
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 pack Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
  • 2 pounds small red potatoes quartered
Step 1
  • Place potatoes in a 1gallon Ziploc bag and add oil; seal bag. Toss to coat.
Step 2
  • Add seasoning packet and toss again until coated. Bake in ungreased baking pan at 450°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are brown and crisp.
I have tried several kinds of potato from Youkon Gold, Butter Gold, Red Potatoes. I always find their roasting time to be way off from how I like mine done so I've developed a quick trick for softer potatoes. I either use the small baby red/gold potatoes and cut into quarters. I microwave them for 8 min, cool for a bit, then toss them in the seasoning (in a bowl if they are still hot), then roast. This makes them nice and soft on the inside, but you get a nice crunchy skin.

Bitty246, I love this idea! Question, if you do the microwave trick does it take 30-35 minutes to roast? Or is that the roasting time without microwaving? Thank you.

We decided to host Thanksgiving. :scared: At first it was for friends and family that didn't have any other plans now it has blossomed to almost the entire in-law family. I am planning to smoke a turkey and these recipes are helping me plan for sides. We are getting the house ready this weekend and next week will be gathering all the supplies to prep for cooking. This is the first time we are hosting any major holiday event, wish us luck!

We decided to host Thanksgiving. :scared: At first it was for friends and family that didn't have any other plans now it has blossomed to almost the entire in-law family. I am planning to smoke a turkey and these recipes are helping me plan for sides. We are getting the house ready this weekend and next week will be gathering all the supplies to prep for cooking. This is the first time we are hosting any major holiday event, wish us luck!

I've done a small version with jusy a turkey breast, instant potatoes, and stuffing, but never one this big. Lol. This is my first major undertaking of holiday dinner. My dad is really excited at the pending menu and that all he has to do is show up and eat. :rotfl2:

Missnic--your stuffing sounds amazing! I don't think I could sell it here, though (nor the green bean casserole versions--not happening!). I do a cornbread stuffing with chopped celery, carrots, and onion that disappears like magic.

I do a pecan streusel-topped sweet potato that's very popular, too. I like sweet potatoes, but not with marshmallows and syrup--too overly sweet for me. The streusel-topped one is just the right balance.

HeatherC--if you don't already have one, get one of those peeler/corer/slicer thingies. Plows through apple processing like nobody's business--I can get apples set for a pie in less than 5 minutes. My DH loves those apples of which you speak, but I'm not adding them to my Thanksgiving repertoire. Maybe I'll make them "just because", one of these days.
Which one of those apple thingies would you recommend?

Don’t bother to make a vegetable tray as an appetizer. It won’t get eaten, although it is a head start on turkey vegetable soup with the leftovers

Don’t bother to make a vegetable tray as an appetizer. It won’t get eaten, although it is a head start on turkey vegetable soup with the leftovers

We eat veggies and dip here to snack on as an appetizer. I make up my own tray of just the things we like. Usually cucumber, celery, broccoli, cheese cubes, dill pickles. I have a couple family members I’ll get black olives for and sometimes I’ll get cauliflower. We like the hidden valley ranch dip mix I add into a 16oz container of sour cream.

We eat veggies and dip here to snack on as an appetizer. I make up my own tray of just the things we like. Usually cucumber, celery, broccoli, cheese cubes, dill pickles. I have a couple family members I’ll get black olives for and sometimes I’ll get cauliflower. We like the hidden valley ranch dip mix I add into a 16oz container of sour cream.

We would also have crab dip in a crockpot out with the veggies.

Bitty246, I love this idea! Question, if you do the microwave trick does it take 30-35 minutes to roast? Or is that the roasting time without microwaving? Thank you.

I think you could get away with microwaving them for 5 min, but yes, I still roast them for 35-45 min. I think it just depends on how well done you like them. I do not like raw/crunchy at all. I like them soft in the middle and crispy on the outside. Once you try it a couple of times, you'll get to know what works for you. I've made larger quantities without enough of the dressing packets, so I've added Ms. Dash, Montreal Seasoning, minced Garlic. Really any type of seasoning works with potatoes. It's so easy and everyone I've ever made them for loves them!

Another side idea - Alternative to green bean casserole.... I make Green Beans Almondine. Another very easy, but extremely delicious dish. I use frozen Green Beans. Steam them in the bag for about 2/3 of the time indicated on the bag. Put in a casserole dish. Mince and toast some garlic in a pan, add to green beans. Toast slivered almonds (how ever much you like) in same pan with butter, add to casserole dish. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over top and bake at 375 for 20 min. I'm typing this by memory, so you can probably find recipes online, but I keep it pretty simple and just go with whatever quantities I think are necessary.

I don’t have a recipe, but my sister made a creamed spinach casserole last year that was to die for. It sounded gross but was amazing. Will have to ask her about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter