Hoop Dee Doo closing???

And some, like myself, had a different experience. We paid for multiple days for four people up front, and EVERY time we tried to use it, lightning "in the area" had the service shut down because CMs couldn't take us backstage. Lightning in the area is practically a daily occurrence in FL in the summer!! Poorly designed/conceived from the get-go, and I guessed at the time that it would be discontinued. I can only imagine how many had similar experiences and complained.

I like that Disney experiments, and that when they come up with a loser, they reverse out of it.

Well that is a very different experience than what we had, so not liking it makes perfect sense then. I think we used it for around 30 days over a couple trips, and only twice was it closed for lightning, most of those days being summertime.

The incredible convenience it offered was a massive improvement over waiting a random amount of time for a bus. And getting to ride from inside the park to inside the next park while also skipping security was a huge timesaver. We park hop a lot, almost always doing 3-4 parks every day, these busses gave us hours more time in the actual parks. And on top of all of that, they used to give us fastpasses and we even made some very good friends with a few of the cast members.

And of all the people that we spoke to while on the bus, the ones that seemed to get the most out of it were those with disabilities, especially the families that had children with disabilities.

It's too bad you didn't get to experience it even just once, we clearly had polar opposite experiences.

Last edited:
Well that is a very different experience than what we had, so not liking it makes perfect sense then. I think we used it for around 30 days over a couple trips, and only twice was it closed for lightning, most of those days being summertime.

The incredible convenience it offered was a massive improvement over waiting a random amount of time for a bus. And getting to ride from inside the park to inside the next park while also skipping security was a huge timesaver. We park hop a lot, almost always doing 3-4 parks every day, these busses gave us hours more time in the actual parks. And on top of all of that, they used to give us fastpasses and we even made some very good friends with a few of the cast members.

And of all the people that we spoke to while on the bus, the ones that seemed to get the most out of it were those with disabilities, especially the families that had children with disabilities.

It's too bad you didn't get to experience it even just once, we clearly had polar opposite experiences.
I get what you're saying -- when it worked it was great! But how many families do you think Disney could tolerate having our experience? Shelling out money up front and getting nothing but frustration in return? Untenable, I think.

I'm okay if the replace things at Disney World .. (I mean how many of us think they should replace Tomorrowland Speedway alltogether).

Removing an old attraction not in a theme park to make way for an expansion seems smart. Heck .. how many people know about Hoop de Doo because it is in a resort area that only a small amount of people go to. I never knew about it until recently (because of these boards and a visit to Trail's End restaurant two trips ago).

Things like dinner shows are probably "one and done" experiences for most guests anyway due to their cost and the newness being gone. I've done the Spirit of Aloha show at the Polynesian and have no desire to do it again despite having a fun time there.

I get what you're saying -- when it worked it was great! But how many families do you think Disney could tolerate having our experience? Shelling out money up front and getting nothing but frustration in return? Untenable, I think.

Unless you fix the situation by having permanent little structure and way to get there without being affected by "lightning".

I'm okay if the replace things at Disney World .. (I mean how many of us think they should replace Tomorrowland Speedway alltogether).

Removing an old attraction not in a theme park to make way for an expansion seems smart. Heck .. how many people know about Hoop de Doo because it is in a resort area that only a small amount of people go to. I never knew about it until recently (because of these boards and a visit to Trail's End restaurant two trips ago).

Things like dinner shows are probably "one and done" experiences for most guests anyway due to their cost and the newness being gone. I've done the Spirit of Aloha show at the Polynesian and have no desire to do it again despite having a fun time there.

You are comparing two totally different shows. I will agree the Spirit of Aloha is a one and done experience. Was for us. However, HDDR does not come close to fitting in that category. Probably been 20 times since I first went when I was 10. Will take every single one of my grandchildren, even the ones that aren't born yet. Yeah, I am not panicking because I think the show will live on, even if it moves to a new building, resort or even at a park.

Of course! I just assumed that either wasn’t feasible or wasn’t cost effective.

Most ideas they have are good ones, and in most cases the final product isn't like the trial. I imagine with something like the express transportation, an imagineer spitballed it out there, they did the trial and somewhere someone is doing cost/profit models for it as we speak. You can be sure they know where it succeeded as well as where it failed. I have a gut feeling that express transportation is one of the ideas that will come back in a better, more organized and probably slightly higher cost form. The Cabana idea imagineer might be mowing the lawn now though. pirate:

I would be fine if the show moved to a new theater... but they better bucket the 100yr. old oil they are frying that chicken in and take it with them!

I would be remiss if I didn't speak on behalf of the whole fam damily and mention the strawberry shortcake staying. Me, give me the buckets of meat and pitchers of beer with the entertainment and I will be fine and dandy.

Most ideas they have are good ones, and in most cases the final product isn't like the trial. I imagine with something like the express transportation, an imagineer spitballed it out there, they did the trial and somewhere someone is doing cost/profit models for it as we speak. You can be sure they know where it succeeded as well as where it failed. I have a gut feeling that express transportation is one of the ideas that will come back in a better, more organized and probably slightly higher cost form. The Cabana idea imagineer might be mowing the lawn now though. pirate:
If it does come back in a RELIABLE format, that would be great and we’d use it — we hop every day.

When I brought up the idea of some sort of covering, I was told at the time that it wasn’t feasible — they’d have to lead people all the way to it backstage, which they cannot do in lightning. And that a covered walkway plus covered wait area isn’t feasible. Who knows?

If it does come back in a RELIABLE format, that would be great and we’d use it — we hop every day.

When I brought up the idea of some sort of covering, I was told at the time that it wasn’t feasible — they’d have to lead people all the way to it backstage, which they cannot do in lightning. And that a covered walkway plus covered wait area isn’t feasible. Who knows?

I was thinking the MK spot was maybe the main reason for that, but I wonder if that might change with the Tron Coaster and perhaps an easier link to put something there just off of World Drive that made it easier.

I don't really buy that excuse. It's not like they don't allow their guests to walk outside during lightning. I think it just wasn't bringing in enough money to build permanent structures for it which was needed for cast members to check you in. And it was significantly underpriced which is pretty rare for Disney.

I have a gut feeling that express transportation is one of the ideas that will come back in a better, more organized and probably slightly higher cost form.

I think it's dead in that form. It's basically been replaced by the Minivan service, which is the higher cost (that costs per trip what express cost per week). Maybe they'll replan for Minivans to allow for in park pick up at some point, but I think the concept died for the Minivan to live. And since Disney is supposedly designing their own ride share app, I think that's where they'll double down.

I missed the details. Are they replacing it with another show or something that all WDW guests can enjoy? Or is this part of some DVC expansion?

I missed the details. Are they replacing it with another show or something that all WDW guests can enjoy? Or is this part of some DVC expansion?
It's just a rumor for now.

It's just a rumor for now.
I know, but is there any rumor about what would be replacing it? The PP said it's good that Disney replaces things, but do we even know if that's what's being proposed here?

I know, but is there any rumor about what would be replacing it? The PP said it's good that Disney replaces things, but do we even know if that's what's being proposed here?

No. The implication in the link is that it is in the way for the River Country development project. Not that it would be replaced or moved.

I think it's dead in that form. It's basically been replaced by the Minivan service, which is the higher cost (that costs per trip what express cost per week). Maybe they'll replan for Minivans to allow for in park pick up at some point, but I think the concept died for the Minivan to live. And since Disney is supposedly designing their own ride share app, I think that's where they'll double down.

Well, the way I look at it, Minivans with in park pickup and drop off would be a form of a better, more costly, improved "Express Transportation" system. And, since my family only park hops once a day, it actually could be a fairly comparable price if it is just $25 like the other Minivan rides and I can fit my whole family in there.

So if that's the case then they would be removing something available to anyone to book with something only available to DVC. I just don't see the common good there.

If it has to be torn down for the new River Country project, there is nothing that says it couldn't be part of the said project with a new home. It being DVC doesn't rule that out.

HDDR ain't the Spirit of Aloha. I will go back to HDDR every trip. Not so for Spirit of Aloha. Also, this show fills up for at least 2 of it's 3 shows and the third show also fills a lot of the time. I believe it is the longest running continous stage show ever.

This show also is one of those things, kind of like SSE in Epcot, that reminds people of what WDW was and can be. Could the theatre use some updates, yes. If they built a new theatre for it at the new resort, it'd probably be okay. But to totally close it for good would be crazy. I, along with several others I know, want to see it live on so we can take our kids to it. Here's hoping it's still around in June so I can!

And be careful what you say about the campground. There is a rabid fan club, and to be fair, it is often quite full, and from October to January, can be a hard booking to get. I love wandering the stables. Others like the carriage or wagon rides. Some folks like walking through the campsites and woods. It's just a really nice escape from the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter