• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how do I help my honeymooning kids-----

Debby7

DIS Veteran
My son and his new bride will be arriving at OKW for their honeymoon on Monday, October 10th around 5:00pm . Seems like this is a busy time of year for DVC. Is there anything I can do to be sure that they get a nonsmoking unit? Would calling and reminding MS that they are on their honeymoon help ? I'm afraid they won't know enough to insist on the non-smoking and the bride has so many allergies that they will be miserable in a smoking optional unit. I know the last two times I have checked in at OKW around 5:00 I have been told only smoking left, even though one case was a documented medical request for my 78 year old mom with a heart condition ! I put the request on the original reservation ,is there anything else I can do ?

Well - you could try calling the morning of their check in - that may help. I'd say calling before that wouldn't change much. Dis they add medical notes to their request as well? My son has a form of asthma that can be irritated by smoke, so I always add it on, and my allergies are horribly bothered by it as well. Hopefully if you call the morning of - they'll make an effort to get them non-smoking!

I would fax the info you provided in your post to "Old Key West Room Assigner." The fax # is: 407-827-7710

Isn't DVC great? What a wonderful honeymoon for your son and his new wife. Hope everything works out and they have many magical years together! :sunny:

Wow - I'm sending my nephew and his soon-to-be bride to Hilton Head starting a day earlier - the 9th - for their honeymoon!

...I've been planning on it since he was 16!! :)

jekjones1558 said:
I would fax the info you provided in your post to "Old Key West Room Assigner." The fax # is: 407-827-7710

About a year ago, Disney was very public in stating that they would no longer accept any fax requests sent directly to resorts.

Although this topic gets a lot of pub, there is evidence to suggest that the percentage of smoking requests met is quite high. About six months ago I posted a poll asking about recent experiences. If memory serves there were almost 300 responses from this forum, and a 97.5% success rate at getting the requested smoking preference.

I'd remind the couple of two things:

1. Even if they are assigned a "smoking optional" room, it doesn't mean that they will be met with an overpowering odor upon entering the room. I've seen reports from people who got halfway through their trip before noticing an ashtray in the room and realizing that they were actually in a smoking room.

2. If they do get assigned to an unacceptable room, contact the front desk and ask if there is anything that can be done. As a last resort, they could always offer to move in the morning. If they aren't arriving until the evening, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience to just keep the bags packed for another 16 hours. Bell services should be able to move the luggage for them.

I have severe smoke allergies and can't be around smoke at all. I live with 4 smokers but it is my house so they abide by my rules. No smoking in the house and if they need a cigarette they must go out to the back yard away from the house so the smoke doesn't come in the windows.
I always ask for a non smoking room for medical reasons. I have never had a problem, I always get a non smoking room.
If my family comes with me they have to go out to the parking lot to have their cigarettes, they can't smoke on the balcony. I am paying and using my DVC points they have to abide by my rules. When they pay then they can make up the rules. Peggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter