How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hope the mask thing is over by the time we go. The problem I have with masks is that if you don't change them frequently and properly, you are defeating the purpose. What is the likely hood of that happening?? Zero... So I lean towards the physicians that say the best way to deal with this is herd immunity. Just my two cents.

Absolutely agree 100%.

I have significant medical bills and new inhalers from an asthma attack while shopping with a mask at a grocery store-hadn't had an attack like that one since the 1990s. My doc stated no mask wearing at all unless I can't do the 6 ft spacing in a crowded store, she even told me to ditch it in her office. She said under no circumstance would a mask ever need worn outside. It's a definite no visit to Disney until masks are optional. We need to build the DVC points back up anyway.

Masks should be required in any gathering place for the immediate future at least, should they be allowed to reopen.

As for me, I don't have any plans to return to Disney anytime soon in the immediate future, due to personal and financial reasons, so by the time I would even consider returning, we should have a very well understanding what the policy would include with wearing masks and that type of stuff.

I cancelled our July trip because...well, we are in the midst of a Global Pandemic and even if there are less cases, I'm just not taking the risk for anyone or anything to travel at all. As for a mask, if it isn't safe to go to WDW without a mask, I will not be travelling there with or without a mask. My answer is I am Pro-Mask.

We have reservations for late July, but it looks like we'll cancel as masks will be required. I think the cloth masks or face coverings is all psychological to make people feel better. The virus is serious, no doubt, but I thought the whole point of staying at home was to slow the spread so hospitals can be prepared for when some of us get it and need to go to the hospital. Asymptomatic and mild symptoms don't require hospital stays/visits. Of course I'm not looking to catch it and don't wish it upon anyone, but it's here and there's no vaccine or cure, a cloth mask especially when not properly used makes no sense. With what the mortality rates are looking like, I'm just as worried about heart disease and cancer. Is Disney going to stop selling Turkey legs and kitchen sinks?

We have reservations for late July, but it looks like we'll cancel as masks will be required. I think the cloth masks or face coverings is all psychological to make people feel better. The virus is serious, no doubt, but I thought the whole point of staying at home was to slow the spread so hospitals can be prepared for when some of us get it and need to go to the hospital. Asymptomatic and mild symptoms don't require hospital stays/visits. Of course I'm not looking to catch it and don't wish it upon anyone, but it's here and there's no vaccine or cure, a cloth mask especially when not properly used makes no sense. With what the mortality rates are looking like, I'm just as worried about heart disease and cancer. Is Disney going to stop selling Turkey legs and kitchen sinks?

Spot on response.

Having watched this debate play out, I think there seems to be one major misconception regarding masks. They are not and never were meant to be the sole means to attempt to slow the spread of the virus. They are meant to be combined with other safety measures, specifically hand hygiene. So yes, it is true that people can't wear them 100% of the time and people will no doubt contaminate them or use them improperly. They aren't a substitute for other measures. They're meant to be one part of the solution. But the bottom line is that this is a respiratory virus that is spread through coughing, sneezing, and just talking. A face covering that reduces the spread into the open air is certainly helpful. If you knew you were going to be trapped in a room with someone with known COVID-19 and you had the option of having them wear a mask or not, what would you choose?

The question of whether or not you want to go to Disney wearing one is completely subjective. The question of their effectiveness is, however, backed by scientific study.

Having watched this debate play out, I think there seems to be one major misconception regarding masks. They are not and never were meant to be the sole means to attempt to slow the spread of the virus. They are meant to be combined with other safety measures, specifically hand hygiene. So yes, it is true that people can't wear them 100% of the time and people will no doubt contaminate them or use them improperly. They aren't a substitute for other measures. They're meant to be one part of the solution. But the bottom line is that this is a respiratory virus that is spread through coughing, sneezing, and just talking. A face covering that reduces the spread into the open air is certainly helpful. If you knew you were going to be trapped in a room with someone with known COVID-19 and you had the option of having them wear a mask or not, what would you choose?

The question of whether or not you want to go to Disney wearing one is completely subjective. The question of their effectiveness is, however, backed by scientific study.

To me, your comment above is part of the problem. Since when should you, or Disney, or anyone else, be able to "have them" wear a mask?

The effectiveness is questionable at best, especially given the CDC's wishy-washy guidelines requiring them. And then the notion that people are being "forced" to wear them, so to me it's perfectly reasonable and understandable why many people are dead-set against wearing a mask.

@AtlantaDisneyDreamer
and here is the advice from the Irish Government https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/aac74c-guidance-on-safe-use-of-face-coverings/

When to wear one
You may choose to wear a cloth face covering:
  • when staying 2 metres apart from people is difficult - for example, in shops, shopping centres or public transport
  • in an enclosed space with other people
Who should not wear one
Cloth face coverings are not suitable for children under the age of 13 and anyone who:
  • has trouble breathing
  • is unconscious or incapacitated
  • is unable to remove it without help
  • has special needs and who may fell upset or very uncomfortable wearing the face covering
Do not criticise or judge people who are not able to wear a face covering.

How to use a cloth face covering properly

Do:
  • clean your hands properly before you put it on
  • practice using it so you are comfortable putting it on and taking it off
  • make sure it is made from a fabric you are comfortable wearing
  • cover your mouth and nose with it and make sure there are no gaps between your cloth face covering
  • tie it securely
  • carry unused masks in a sealable clean waterproof bag(for example, a ziplock bag)
  • carry a second similar type bag to put used masks in
Don't:
  • touch a mask or face covering while wearing it - if you do, clean your hands properly
  • use a damp or wet medical mask or reuse a medical mask
  • share masks
  • do not lower your mask to speak, eat and smoke or vape - if you need to uncover your nose or mouth take the mask off and put it in the bag for used masks
  • do not discard masks in public places

@AtlantaDisneyDreamer
and here is the advice from the Irish Government https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/aac74c-guidance-on-safe-use-of-face-coverings/

When to wear one
  • when staying 2 metres apart from people is difficult - for example, in shops, shopping centres or public transport
Who should not wear one
Cloth face coverings are not suitable for children under the age of 13 and anyone who:
  • has trouble breathing
  • has special needs and who may fell upset or very uncomfortable wearing the face covering

Do:
  • cover your mouth and nose with it and make sure there are no gaps between your cloth face covering
  • tie it securely
  • carry unused masks in a sealable clean waterproof bag(for example, a ziplock bag)
Don't:
  • touch a mask or face covering while wearing it - if you do, clean your hands properly
  • share masks
  • do not lower your mask to speak, eat and smoke or vape - if you need to uncover your nose or mouth take the mask off and put it in the bag for used masks

I really like the comment about not judging people who are not able to wear a face covering.

This really makes so much sense.

They aren’t suitable for children under thirteen. I wish someone would tell Disney and its union that. I suppose they will find out soon through experience anyway.

Last edited:
We are planning on going to WDW for our Honeymoon in 2021. I'd rather not wear a mask but I will obviously if that is the rule. We are debating on going on the honeymoon right after we get married (August) or get married and go on the honeymoon at Christmas time to give more time for a vaccine or see if the virus is less active. Of course we want the 50th celebration to be going on also. August might be out if the celebration does not start until Oct.1.

@AtlantaDisneyDreamer

When to wear one
Who should not wear one
  • has trouble breathing

Do:
  • tie it securely
Don't:
  • share masks
Hahahahaha, that ’Don’t’ section is pretty un-doable at Disney. Especially number 4. I see people doing practically everything on the don’t list even when just wearing them to the grocery store

I really like the comment about not judging people who are not able to wear a face covering.

This really makes so much sense.

They aren’t suitable for children under thirteen. I wish someone would tell Disney and it’s union that. I suppose they will find out soon through experience anyway.

Exactly

I just think people here on Dis are over thinking everything and creating issues. This is the reality now and everyone just needs to be practical and sensible. And to stop thinking comfort and how it looks are more important than limiting the virus spread.

We've got a late August trip planned and fully expect to be wearing masks. None of us is overly sensitive to heat so it's not a big deal. Will we enjoy wearing masks? Of course not, but it is what it is.

Exactly

I just think people here on Dis are over thinking everything and creating issues. This is the reality now and everyone just needs to be practical and sensible. And to stop thinking comfort and how it looks are more important than limiting the virus spread.

Agreed, but I don’t want to be uncomfortable on vacation. Therefore, I’ll skip the vacation that requires masks.

I had to run several errands today. I am in Louisiana and it is warm today. My mask is washable cotton.

There is no way that I would wear this type of mask at WDW in the heat/humidity. I just hope that masks will not be required in a few months.

Otherwise, I will have to make my visits for the winter.

I really think that masks in 100 degree weather and the Florida heat is going to be a huge safety issue especially for older people and children.

I don't question their effectiveness when used correctly. I question their use and effectiveness when not used correctly. I'm all for people wearing a mask if they want and I wish Disney didn't make them mandatory as it looks to be. I also have a child who would not be able to wear a mask, so we'll wait until no mask. Based on my antectodal evidence at least in my area the only time and place I've seen people use them correctly was when I took my child for a doctor's appointment. They squirted my hands with sanitizer and handed me a mask explaining to only touch the ear loops and never touch the inside or outside of the mask, as I was leaving I needed to dispose of the mask in a guarded receptacle and again sanitize after. When taking a walk around my block, I see masks dangling from rearview mirrors, when I'm in my supermarket it is required for their workers and highly encouraged for shoppers to wear one yet I see them adjusting, scratching their face, covering just their mouth with their mask. Now what happens when I see the employee's nose breathing on the front of their mask, adjusting the front of their mask, then putting it back on and putting away bananas that customers are now going to grab. Now a whole family may have contracted covid. But everyone was wearing a mask! I mentioned previously I believe it's psychological because some feel safer seeing others have it on and others like myself now feel less safe because I'm seeing all the 'mistakes' when wearing them. I would think less about the germs and virus if that person working at the supermarket was without a mask and just putting the bananas back. (Nothing against people working at supermarkets, true mvps, just what I observed) I agree it's a respiratory virus and how it's transmitted, but my opinion is it either needs to be done right or not at all. I felt comfortable wearing one and safe at the hospital because it was done correctly.

If I knew I was going to be trapped in a room with someone who had Covid-19, I would mentally prepare myself that there would be a high probability I might contract it, be as positive as possible knowing there's a good chance I'll survive, then if I did get it, do my best to fight it off and trust my doctor's to do their best if I needed to be hospitalized. Can I ask if you knew you would be trapped in a room with 1 person with covid-19 and had to choose between one person with a mask who is constantly fidgeting with it, touching their face, lifting it up and another person who is quietly there making sure they're not touching their face, what would you choose?

There is no scientific evidence that cloth masks, which are the majority of masks that Americans wear, are effective at reducing the spread of illness. The only scientific studies done that measure a reduction of virus spread have studied medical grade masks in a professional setting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter