How embarrassing! Perceptions of DVC members...

I realize that I might start something here, but if the couple had a problem and they couldn't stand? You can't always see someone's ailments.

You are absolutely correct...my DW had a serious back/spinal cord injury. outwardly she appears fine, however, she has serious nerve and internal ailments, including weakened leg/back muscles and little to no feeling below the waist resulting in poor balance, The lack of feeling in her feet means she stumbles easily on unlevel ground an such. So u never know

I realize that I might start something here, but if the couple had a problem and they couldn't stand? You can't always see someone's ailments.

Yes, I realize that. I wasn't so much judging the guy, as I was commenting on the reaction he got from others on the bus. Reactions I think were prompted by the DVC hat that he wore.

I was thinking the very same thing. My husband has had two back surgeries, He will be the first to give up his seat, but the last trip to Disney it would have been every bus trip. He can be seriously hurt, if the bus stops quickly.

Yes, I realize that. I wasn't so much judging the guy, as I was commenting on the reaction he got from others on the bus. Reactions I think were prompted by the DVC hat that he wore.

I didn't mean that toward you. I'm sorry.:guilty:

Hey, I'm with you! We only buy AMERICAN and are very proud of it!!!! I am really reading labels now, even for my pet. My husband has a fleet of vehicles, all GM products! I have never said anything about being a DVC member at Disney, I have been proud to be one, but I think I will just keep it to myself until some get better control of themselves. ;)

Even when you buy something American, it might not be made in America. About 10 years ago we needed a new car. I went on and on about buying American. Found a Chevy we liked and so bought it. Got it home and found out then it was "Hecho en Mexico." So much for me buying Amercian.

Beyond that, demanding that you get something you're not entitled to just because you have membership in a group is rude, boorish behavior. It never occurs to me to ask for anything, let alone demand, something I'm not entitled to. We bought DVC to ensure we got a nice vacation every year, whether to WDW or another resort, not to feel superior to anyone else. It saddens (although not surprises) me to think that people are using their memberships to try and get over on others. I guess you'll find ignorant, arrogant, self-absorbed people in every group.

Two years ago we were on the bus leaving MK after the fireworks, headed to BWI/BWV. A couple in their probably late 30's/ early 40's were sitting. The guy had a DVC hat on. Some parents holding sleeping children got on. DH got up for one of them, as did a couple other men, others like myself, pulled children on our laps to make extra seats. I had my older son stand. This couple with the DVC hat on sat there as the bus pulled away. A father holding a sleeping child, and a probably 10 year old daughter stood directly in front of the DVC guy trying desperatly to hold onto the sleeping toddler AND his daughter, AND the pole. Someone behind me wondered aloud why the DVC guy didn't get up and give him the seat. People started saying stuff like "Well he's a DVC member, he probably thinks he owns the bus" and a LOT of worse things. The couple HAD to of heard them, but didn't react at all. It amazed me that people had such negative opinions of DVC members. It's like they thought the guy was an inconsiderate jerk BECAUSE he was a DVC member. We were DVC members too and my husband stood, I had my 10 year old stand, and pulled my other 2 kids onto my lap. :confused3

When we stayed at Saratoga Springs, most if not all of the people on the busses were DVC members. I constantly saw folks giving their seats up for those who needed them. Pregnant ladies, elderly, sleeping kids nearl;y always were offered seats. By the end of the trip, even my kids were offering seats without me poking them in the shoulder.
I never saw any boorish behavior by any guests but I wasn't watching for it either. The incidents mentioned must be fairly rare.

I wear my DVC stuff with pride. I worked hard to get to be one and am pround to be a DVC member. If other have a problem with it then that is their problem. I don't judge a whole group by the actions of a few. I have read here where some don't wear their DVC stuff due to comments like that. That is their problem. If you want to help clean up our image(I don't think it really needs cleaned up) then wear it and act responsibly and be courtsey at all times. But you know how it is, people tend to remember the negative and judge all by that. It seems as if this thread has taken on a DVC bashing tone and that too bad...smjj

I wish I could find more attractive DVC gear to wear, because I'd like people to see that I'm a member. Like most people on the DIS, I tend to be very friendly and helpful. I think we have an opportunity to become DVC ambassadors and change people's perceptions, even a little.

/pollyanna-off

If nothing else, I'd like people to see the logo and not instantly think it's all my fault that they had to deal with construction at AKL when they paid so much money to be there. A thought which doesn't take into consideration that I own at SSR and I don't exactly stay there for free.

Also, happy Labor Day to my fellow GM Babies!

Even when you buy something American, it might not be made in America. About 10 years ago we needed a new car. I went on and on about buying American. Found a Chevy we liked and so bought it. Got it home and found out then it was "Hecho en Mexico." So much for me buying Amercian.

I guess you have to be more specific regarding your "America" because
Mexico is in America-the Southern part of North Amercia.:rotfl2:

I know what you mean though. You notice it's harder and harder to find "Made in the USA" because "Made in America" can encompass many regions where corporations go to get cheaper labor.

I guess you have to be more specific regarding your "America" because
Mexico is in America-the Southern part of North Amercia.:rotfl2:

I know what you mean though. You notice it's harder and harder to find "Made in the USA" because "Made in America" can encompass many regions where corporations go to get cheaper labor.

I believe the phrase "Made in America" refers to the country of orgin, not the continent. True, Mexico is on the American continent, but not in America..smjj

I believe the phrase "Made in America" refers to the country of orgin, not the continent. True, Mexico is on the American continent, but not in America..smjj

I had often wondered growing up about the use of America and American being solely used in reference to the United States.

But then someone pointed out that We're the only country that has "America" in our official name.

Now, if Mexico changed to the "Mexican States of America", or there was the "American States of Canada", then it would get more confusing...

Having had several friends from Canada-one owning a place called The American Cafe, tell me and anyone they too are Americans. The US is not the only place to claim being American.
We just assume that it means USA.

Actually, Mexico's title is, in full, United Mexican States
(Spanish Estados Unidos Mexicanos), federal republic in North America.
So they too are United States(in America).

So, I think the point is that big business sold us on the singular thought that we are the only America(meaning USA) and that is why when we buy "American" actually, it could be from anywhere in the America(s).

Having had several friends from Canada-one owning a place called The American Cafe, tell me and anyone they too are Americans. The US is not the only place to claim being American.
We just assume that it means USA.

Actually, Mexico's title is, in full, United Mexican States
(Spanish Estados Unidos Mexicanos), federal republic in North America.
So they too are United States(in America).

So, I think the point is that big business sold us on the singular thought that we are the only America(meaning USA) and that is why when we buy "American" actually, it could be from anywhere in the America(s).

Well, I am learning something new everyday!!!! Next thing someone will tell me is that, Made in China... is America! :rolleyes1 Not trying to shoot the messager, but it just aggravates me to no end, when a country doesn't fully represent itself on a label. Why try and hide who made the great product,:confused3 that the USA citizens are being led to believe is a good and safe product? How many recalls have we had in the last few weeks alone?:mad: Lead paint for our children, antifreeze ingredients in toothpaste, killing our animals... anyone think there just might be a conspiracy??? Big business better start dealing with the homefront and keep us safe. Did I get off topic??? Sorry.:sad2:

Am I the only one who remembers reading this statement on the DVC contract...

"By signing this document you are now blood related to Walt Disney & have full rights to everything Disney & assume all control of the the Disney Company. You will never be told 'No' and will get whatever you request, even if the request is not legitametly possible- due to the fact that Walt Disney World is 'the most magical place on earth'. The Disney Company will honor any demands by Disney Vacation Club members as long as you yell your request while waving your magical member card and make a complete fool of yourself and all Disney Vacation Club members."

I could have sworn I read that in my contract. :confused3 I wouldn't of purchased if it didn't say that! Is it too late to back out??

If nothing else, I'd like people to see the logo and not instantly think it's all my fault that they had to deal with construction at AKL when they paid so much money to be there. A thought which doesn't take into consideration that I own at SSR and I don't exactly stay there for free.

This reminds me of something that just happened on my trip this past weekend. I was chatting on the bus from AKV to MK with a family about the DCL. Their DD had a CC t-shirt on. The conversation turned to the AKL and we mentioned we were staying in the new Villas part, because we are DVC members. She said "Oh, you're the reason we were kicked out of our room." I just got this shocked look on my face. She then said she ended up being moved to concierge over at Wilderness Lodge instead, but had promised her DD they would stay at least a day at AKL.

Also at Epcot, we were chatting with the funny scientist lady with the big camera outside the Figment ride. She asked if it was our first time there and I told her no, we lived nearby and came all the time. My DH added and we're DVC members. She goes "OOOH, can I touch you?" I laughed so hard! I was so glad he didn't add, and Florida Annual Passholders too!

Am I the only one who remembers reading this statement on the DVC contract...

"By signing this document you are now blood related to Walt Disney & have full rights to everything Disney & assume all control of the the Disney Company. You will never be told 'No' and will get whatever you request, even if the request is not legitametly possible- due to the fact that Walt Disney World is 'the most magical place on earth'. The Disney Company will honor any demands by Disney Vacation Club members as long as you yell your request while waving your magical member card and make a complete fool of yourself and all Disney Vacation Club members."

I could have sworn I read that in my contract. :confused3 I wouldn't of purchased if it didn't say that! Is it too late to back out??

:rotfl2:
I wanted the " stamp your feet, hold you breath until you turn blue" clause added to our contract.:rolleyes:

Secret handshakes, that's what we need:thumbsup2 secret handshakes!

Well, I am learning something new everyday!!!! Next thing someone will tell me is that, Made in China... is America! :rolleyes1 Not trying to shoot the messager, but it just aggravates me to no end, when a country doesn't fully represent itself on a label. Why try and hide who made the great product,:confused3 that the USA citizens are being led to believe is a good and safe product? How many recalls have we had in the last few weeks alone?:mad: Lead paint for our children, antifreeze ingredients in toothpaste, killing our animals... anyone think there just might be a conspiracy??? Big business better start dealing with the homefront and keep us safe. Did I get off topic??? Sorry.:sad2:

Well - there are a lot of things that are made of component parts. If the component parts are assembled in the USA - even if 98% of the product was manufactured and sourced overseas - its "made in the USA" - so yep - it was probably made in China - or at least, everything except putting the pieces together.

Which, for the economy as a whole is good - since the Chinese are willing to work for a lot less than Americans which keeps our prices low and gives us the ability to buy more. However, its been really hard on anyone in the manufacturing sector. And, as we've learned often recently, the Chinese aren't always on the up and up regarding what ingrediants and materials are actually being used to get us those cheap products.

Before I was a DVC member, I was in line at AK to enter the park with my family when a man stepped right in front of me claiming he was a DVC member and had some problem....It stopped the whole line!:headache: I ended up having to go to another line to join my family who were already through the turnstiles!

I hate when people do that. I have said unless you plan on taking care of my kids today, would you mind if I join them?

Usually that gets them to take a step back.

I have been a DVC member for over 5 years. I love DVC and know that what I bought was my hotel stay. Everything else I get from DVC is "a added perk".

I hope if I ever act like that someone just comes up and yells at me back. I overlook quite a bit on vacation. Mistakes that CM's make (after all they are human) what upsets me is when I am treated rude DVC or not we are all spending a lot of money and we are all on vacation. To expect special treatment otherwise is crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter